Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Wonder if grealish is questioning playing for England now?

• edited June 6
    Wonder if grealish is questioning playing for England now?

Yeah, he’d be on his way to the Euros with Ireland if he hadn’t switched!
  • se9addick said:
    Wonder if grealish is questioning playing for England now?

Yeah, he’d be on his way to the Euros with Ireland if he hadn’t switched!
    Haha, you know what i mean, if he wanted summers off he could have stuck with them 
  • Scotland have replaced the injured Dykes and Doak with Tommy Conway (Bristol City) and Lewis Morgan (NY Redbull) on

Dykes is a big loss, he’s the best at what he does we have, Doaks time will come.

Still need to cut two from the squad after Fridays game against Finland at Hamden. 

Can’t imagine we’ll take four keepers and reckon we’ll lose another defender with Hanley, Cooper and Souttar all struggling with injuries so reckon the squad kinda picks itself 
    Craig Gordon and John Souttar miss out for Scotland 
  • 100pc I would have taken Grealish….. in exchange for Bowen, Gordon or Eze who are all too similar.

he looked like he was getting fitter and shaper after time out. Keeps the ball, and is unique across those 3 attackers.

Have always like Guehi and agree he will be Stones first choice partner. Don’t write off Gomez though…. Remember when he had Neymar in his pocket? This is his moment! :)
  • Would be superb to win the thing with Konsa and Gomez both playing the full final and all the Palace boys on the bench looking on.
  • "Grealish leaves Villa to ‘progress’ and become an England regular.

Gets benched by Guardiola. Dropped by Southgate for the Euros.

Villa get Champions League. Konsa and Watkins make the Euros squad.

It’s a funny old game"

• Sponsored links:

• EURO 2024ENGLAND SQUAD Goalkeepers Dean Henderson Crystal Palace Jordan Pickford Everton Aaron Ramsdale ArsenalDefenders Lewis Dunk Brighton  Hove Albion Joe Gomez Liverpool Marc Guhi Crystal Palace Ezri Konsa Aston Villa Luke Shaw Manchester United John Stones Manchester City Kieran Trippier Newcastle United Kyle Walker Manchester CityMidfielders Trent Alexander-Arnold Liverpool Conor Gallagher Chelsea Kobbie Mainoo Manchester United Declan Rice Arsenal Adam Wharton Crystal PalaceForwards Jude Bellingham Real Madrid Jarrod Bowen West Ham United Eberechi Eze Crystal Palace Phil Foden Manchester City Anthony Gordon Newcastle United Harry Kane Bayern Munich Cole Palmer Chelsea  Bukayo Saka Arsenal Ivan Toney Brentford Ollie Watkins Aston Villa
    Doesn't look a particularly strong squad imo.
  • Going out on a limb here ...as good as Foden is when in the bosom of Etihad world, I don't think he will be the player of this tournament. I will surprised if he gets more than 2 goals in the whole tournament. #Notconvinced 

We need men in the team. This time around we have no Jordan Henderson and no Maguire that leaves us three men in the team Stones, Kane and Walker ( and maybe Shaw if he is fit). 

When it gets to the man end of the tournament we will be found out. Again! 

Oh to have a Terry Butcher or Brian Robson or a Steve Bruce in there...

Bit old for his first England cap
  • Quansah has stayed with the England squad, I wonder if there are concerns about one of the defenders named in the squad of if he just wants to give the lad the experience as all the other players dropped have left
  • edited June 7
    It's extraordinary how many members of the 2021 squad have failed to make the 2024, whether due to injuries or form.

Off the starters in the final Maguire, Phillips, Sterling and Mount all miss out, while from the 5 subs who came on Sancho, Rashford, Henderson and Grealish all miss out. And of the rest, Calvert-Lewin, Mings, Coady, Johnstone and James miss out. 
  • Gutted for Grealish and Maddison as they both seem to love the game.

Can kind of understand Maddison’s omission but Grealish even if he isn’t taking on a player seems to find an accurate pass in the final third from what I recall.
  • I’m going to be honest, I don’t think I’d ever heard of Adam Wharton before yesterday! 
  • se9addick said:
    I’m going to be honest, I don’t think I’d ever heard of Adam Wharton before yesterday! 
    Only joined Palace in winter transfer window from Blackburn. Been getting rave reviews, but have not seen much of him to be honest 
  • cafctom said:
    Been a couple of big name omissions already in Henderson and Rashford. The latter felt a bit surprising considering Rashford has actually been good for England the last 18 months or so despite his United form, and has a lot of experience.

Adding the Grealish omission on top does feel a little too ruthless for my liking. 

I’m all for taking form into consideration and blooding new players, but I simply cannot take the likes of Gordon and Bowen (players I both rate) being ahead of a recent Champions League/treble winner who we know has a real game changing ability about him on his day. 
    Just think that if you wanna change it up, there is more of a difference to how Gordon or Bowen plays compared to starting 11 than if you bring Grealish on. 

The opposition probably wouldn’t have to change their defensive mindset much compared to suddenly having Gordon’s pace or Bowen running into the channels and getting a cross over 
  • A tough one leaving at Jack Grealish, but I think it is the right call.

Our defence is an issue, so we are going goals which without Kane we have been lacking but Gordon and Bowen have scored goals for there clubs all season which Jack has not. They both also provide the option of running in behind where Jack comes to the ball a lot as does Foden and Saka.  

• Sponsored links:

• "Grealish leaves Villa to ‘progress’ and become an England regular.

Gets benched by Guardiola. Dropped by Southgate for the Euros.

Villa get Champions League. Konsa and Watkins make the Euros squad.

It’s a funny old game"
    I'm sure his list of medals can justifiably be classed as progression.

What would he have won at Villa?
  • The squad announcement video this year is the best they've ever done 

https://x.com/bryansgunn/status/1798961697937568202 
  • Grealish can't complain, had a thoroughly average season and other attacking players offer more than him off the bench, and crucially are in form. 
  • Grealish is the one absentee I'd definitely have taken. Might've gambled that Kane will stay fit and left Watkins/Tony at home

• Croydon said:
    EURO 2024ENGLAND SQUAD Goalkeepers Dean Henderson Crystal Palace Jordan Pickford Everton Aaron Ramsdale ArsenalDefenders Lewis Dunk Brighton  Hove Albion Joe Gomez Liverpool Marc Guhi Crystal Palace Ezri Konsa Aston Villa Luke Shaw Manchester United John Stones Manchester City Kieran Trippier Newcastle United Kyle Walker Manchester CityMidfielders Trent Alexander-Arnold Liverpool Conor Gallagher Chelsea Kobbie Mainoo Manchester United Declan Rice Arsenal Adam Wharton Crystal PalaceForwards Jude Bellingham Real Madrid Jarrod Bowen West Ham United Eberechi Eze Crystal Palace Phil Foden Manchester City Anthony Gordon Newcastle United Harry Kane Bayern Munich Cole Palmer Chelsea  Bukayo Saka Arsenal Ivan Toney Brentford Ollie Watkins Aston Villa
    Doesn't look a particularly strong squad imo.
    Aside from a few all time great teams, it's rare for a squad to be completely stacked across the board. We definitely have a few weak positions but on the contrary, we have a decent starting xi and have  5 of the top 10 players for highest G/A in Europe, some of whom will probably struggle for game time. 

Think only France can rival that squad but even looking at theirs, there are some huge weaknesses
  • edited June 7
    Quansah has stayed with the England squad, I wonder if there are concerns about one of the defenders named in the squad of if he just wants to give the lad the experience as all the other players dropped have left
    Pretty sure Dunk has a minor knock so won’t play today as a precaution, good experience for Quansah too 
  • If this is Southgate’s last hoorah, it looks to me like he’s finally reading the room and selecting the players that everyone and his wife seems to be clamouring for but without actually believing he’d do it. If it crashes and burns he can give it the big “well I gave you what you wanted….”  If it comes off he’s a visionary. Personally, the only controversial omission is Grealish and he’s turned into a one trick pony with his jink, move to the right, get rid routine. Bowen or, especially, Gordon seem to offer more in terms of speed and end product on the basis of their domestic form. The two big issues are the defence and whether all the newcomers can gel. The dozen or so who have dropped out in recent months are no great loss given their current form and at least we won’t get the same old same old routine. But if it ends up with Shaw (who I think is the best LB in the country by a mile) in the side not having kicked a ball in months then there will be trouble ahead methinks.
  • I take my hat off to Southgate as he has done what I never for a second thought he was capable of ! I would have put money on Henderson, Maguire etc being nailed on. Hopefully he has learnt from his mistakes and can finally win something.

PS

Gareth when we play a decent team in this competition and we go 1 up please do not stick 10 men behind the ball and try to see the game out 😂 be brave and keep going forward pleaseeeeeeeeee
  • Given the last Euro final was only 3 years ago and the feeling at the time was generally that we had a very good young squad, it has actually changed quite a lot.

Maguire, Phillips, Sterling, Mount, Henderson, Rashford, Sancho and Grealish all featured in the final and none of them are here now.
  • Grealish does offer something a little different but from what I’ve seen from Eze, he has the ability to go past players in tight areas when they sit back.

Bowen plays on the right, so not sure why he’s being put in the same bracket as Gordon/Eze/Grealish.

I like JG but I can’t argue with Southgate’s decision looking at form this season.

I think Dunk is probably in over Braithwaite just on career experience, we have a lot of youth in the squad as it is.