Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    England v Serbia .. expect more of the same from the Iceland game, the Serbs are big tough and well organised. Our central defence will have to cope with Mitrovic, might be a good idea to match bruiser with bruiser and pick Dunk (controversial lol)
    Also the ITV team .. the increasingly doddery Souness and Keane doing the 'analysis' and Bonnie Wee (and useless) McCoist the co-commentary .. it's an ENGLAND game, how about some more ENGLISH pundits ?
    Absolutely anyone over Dunk. He's absolutely pony
  • Options
    Anyone going to Download Festival, they're screening the games. So you won't have to miss anything. 
  • Options
    Grealish left Villa to win trophies, which he's won a shedload of in 3 years.

He definitely didn't leave thinking 'i must make the Euro 2024 squad'.
    He left for the ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

• Options

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Anyone going to Download Festival, they're screening the games. So you won't have to miss anything. 
    My niece is so she will be happy with that.
  • Options
    John Stones missed training this morning due to an illness.
  • Options
    follett said:
    follett said:
    England v Serbia .. expect more of the same from the Iceland game, the Serbs are big tough and well organised. Our central defence will have to cope with Mitrovic, might be a good idea to match bruiser with bruiser and pick Dunk (controversial lol)
    Also the ITV team .. the increasingly doddery Souness and Keane doing the 'analysis' and Bonnie Wee (and useless) McCoist the co-commentary .. it's an ENGLAND game, how about some more ENGLISH pundits ?
    I agree with Dunk. Stones and Guehi both look better when playing alongside a more physical CB. Would be concerned starting those two leave us a bit weak in that regard. The friendly against Iceland basically gave Serbia a gameplan that works so hoping to see change in the midfield and defensive area in general.
    The centre back options are what they are but IMO midfield needs more defensive discipline as an urgent priority. 

Rice likes to carry the ball fairly high up the pitch so he needs someone who’s willing to cover him - atm that’s not Mainoo. One pass took both of our midfielders out of the game multiple times. I think you have to play either Gallagher or Bellingham in the double pivot with Rice to stop us from being so easy to break against.
    I think Bellingham is almost guaranteed that number 10 role, would be very surprised to see him in that double pivot. Gallagher definitely seems like the answer to shore it up defensively but the press all seem to think that it is Trent who will start there.
    I was of this view until very recently. Why have your best player and then play him in a different position from where he usually plays which would likely make him less effective. but 2 things recently have changed my mind.

1) We are so weak in that number 8 role that it risks undermining all of our brilliant forward play if we are unable to run the game from midfield.
    2) have been reading about him at Real Madrid, they actually see 8 as his best role but played him further forward due to lack of a real striker. He tore it up at the start of the season but has been less effective there 2nd half. Long term they and many in the game see him dropping further back again. I tend to agree on that front.

So now I am tempted to play him as the 8 in midfield. It allows us to get Foden centrally and to play an extra one of our brilliant forward players. Saka, Foden and Palmer behind Kane would be great. Does scream out for Grealish off the bench tho!
    Well they've signed Mbappe and Endrick for next season so he will almost certainly now have to drop further back.
  • Options
    England have 2 major problems in progressing far in this tournament:

Defensively we have Walker and Trippier who are able right sided defenders, all the others are variously error-prone, inexperienced or injured.
    The only possible leftback is Shaw who is injured. 

Most of the midfielders and attackers are good, some are exceptional.   

Success lies in keeping the ball as far from England's goal as possible and putting it in the opposition's net as often as possible - the offensive half of the squad can comfortably outscore just about any team but they'll spend aeons passing the ball about to no impact at all

Problem 1 - defensively inadequate
    Problem 2 - the manager is pathologically conservative

Southgate simply won't make the best use of his compromised resources.  He'll cobble together a starting eleven in his predetermined shape with players out of position and stand there looking slightly baffled and sad as Mitrovic bullies the life out of Konsa/Dunk/Guehi/Gomez/Stones (any 2 makes no difference) and Serbia dive around, waste time and intimidate the officials to a narrow victory.  England will probably have 60+% position without ever waking up the Serb goalie.
    If Kane, Toney and Watson have to play like Mitrovic so be it, bully batter and bruise the opposition into submission.  Our attackers are as big and fast as any of them and probably fitter than an all. Scrappy goals from simple fast paced football all count the same as the fancy walked in "modern" goals.  

The Iceland match was the proforma for all the coming games - one decent defence splitting pass or (more likely) one defensive howler and England are sunk.

"But you probably only need 3 points to get out of the group"  blah blah will be the limit of England's ambition and the self imposed handicap to success.

The whole snooze fest dragged out to 110+ minutes per match by UEFA's blundering addiction to VAR and meddling in general

Enjoy!
  • Options
    FFS. Christ it's happening. Pub blaring out three lions. 96 version though which I do appreciate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FFS. Christ it's happening. Pub blaring out three lions. 96 version though which I do appreciate. 
    Crazy to think that if we don't win this time, we'd have doubled the 'years of hurt' since the original.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    Why Gareth Southgate’s England Tactics Aren’t Working (Yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSxE8ra3YTM
    This video opened my eyes to a couple of things:

- makes sense why Phil Foden playing the 10 doesn’t work for England, need Bellingham’s energy in that key position behind Kane
    - similar for Cole Palmer, he’s a very threatening player but needs to know what he’s doing in the press

I already mentioned before that I’d swap Mainoo for Gallagher come Sunday’s game against Serbia.

I think, based on the break down above, I’d have Foden and Palmer out of the side to allow Bellingham and Saka to come in. But I can see arguments for dropping Gordon to the bench instead of Foden and have AG’s legs fresh in the second half to kill games off if the opposition are chasing the game.
  • Options
    Why Gareth Southgate’s England Tactics Aren’t Working (Yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSxE8ra3YTM
    This video opened my eyes to a couple of things:

- makes sense why Phil Foden playing the 10 doesn’t work for England, need Bellingham’s energy in that key position behind Kane
    - similar for Cole Palmer, he’s a very threatening player but needs to know what he’s doing in the press

I already mentioned before that I’d swap Mainoo for Gallagher come Sunday’s game against Serbia.

I think, based on the break down above, I’d have Foden and Palmer out of the side to allow Bellingham and Saka to come in. But I can see arguments for dropping Gordon to the bench instead of Foden and have AG’s legs fresh in the second half to kill games off if the opposition are chasing the game.
    Also highlights why Dunk is a terrible choice as he doesn't have the pace to play the high line we want to.
  • Options
    edited June 12
    follett said:
    follett said:
    follett said:
    I agree with Dunk. Stones and Guehi both look better when playing alongside a more physical CB. Would be concerned starting those two leave us a bit weak in that regard. The friendly against Iceland basically gave Serbia a gameplan that works so hoping to see change in the midfield and defensive area in general.
    The centre back options are what they are but IMO midfield needs more defensive discipline as an urgent priority. 

Rice likes to carry the ball fairly high up the pitch so he needs someone who’s willing to cover him - atm that’s not Mainoo. One pass took both of our midfielders out of the game multiple times. I think you have to play either Gallagher or Bellingham in the double pivot with Rice to stop us from being so easy to break against.
    I think Bellingham is almost guaranteed that number 10 role, would be very surprised to see him in that double pivot. Gallagher definitely seems like the answer to shore it up defensively but the press all seem to think that it is Trent who will start there.
    I was of this view until very recently. Why have your best player and then play him in a different position from where he usually plays which would likely make him less effective. but 2 things recently have changed my mind.

1) We are so weak in that number 8 role that it risks undermining all of our brilliant forward play if we are unable to run the game from midfield.
    2) have been reading about him at Real Madrid, they actually see 8 as his best role but played him further forward due to lack of a real striker. He tore it up at the start of the season but has been less effective there 2nd half. Long term they and many in the game see him dropping further back again. I tend to agree on that front.

So now I am tempted to play him as the 8 in midfield. It allows us to get Foden centrally and to play an extra one of our brilliant forward players. Saka, Foden and Palmer behind Kane would be great. Does scream out for Grealish off the bench tho!
    The only issue with that is that the forwards all kind of clash in their positions. Palmer is at his best on the right but can play central. Saka solely plays on the right and Foden can play left but is better central. 

I'd be very surprised if Southgate plays Jude deep. As much as I think Palmer deserves to start I can't see Gareth doing anything other than a Foden Bellingham Saka lineup.
    So would I. I imagine he plays the 10 role with Gallagher taking on the Mason Mount role in midfield where he does a lot of hard yards and hold things together without really impressing. But we look worse without him in the side. 

The good thing with that setup is that Bellingham could drop ever so slightly deeper to play as a 2nd 8 if we need it in the midfield battle...

My brother told me, although I haven't actually heard it myself, that Southgate has apparently said in an interview that he has learnt the lessons of being too defensive and he plans to go for it more this tournament. Which is what the fans want and the squad balance certainly suggests it but I hope we maintain an element of pragmatism in there. Its needed to win a big tournament.
  • Options
    England v Serbia to be the only game where fans are served low alcohol beers in the ground with no alcohol at all allowed in the local square 
  • Options
     only game where fans are served low alcohol beers in the ground with no alcohol at all allowed in the local square 
    ...you'll never sing that
  • Options
    Every year, there is a county cricket competition called The Taunton Festival for age groups U10 to U14. One particular lad in this photo from the Lancs U10 team of 2014 made one good decision - to give up cricket. And one bad one - to join the club he is currently at. But then we would say that wouldn't we!

May be an image of 11 people and text that says 1 ESCA Under 10 County Cricket Festival Kings College Taunton August 2014 Lancashire Critchley Coach John Williams Manager Morgan Davies Arav Shetty Joshua Boyden Adam Wharton Charlie Atkinson Basil Sultan John Hood Scorer Mast Critchley Coach Jack Stanley Will Potts Daniel Stock Euan EuanWilliams Matthew Hurst Captain Harry Singh Josh ittlc Spencer Allen
    For an under 10, Basil Sultan has a magnificent tash.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally i'd go:

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Guehi, Shaw (Trippier if not fit)
    Rice, Bellingham (both can sit and go forward but mainly Rice, although it limits his bursting runs Bellingham has too much abillity to hold back)
    Saka, Foden, Palmer (Yes out of position, but he is so natural like foden and would be able to play this role) 
    Kane

I hear TAA is in line to start, but don't really like playing him there really as we need an out and out Defensive midfielder if he is in the middle as we know he is suspect doing the dirty work/ tracking players. 

I don't really really judge on friendlies, not the same intensity and players not giving 110% off the ball, we will see a different team come the proper games. I think France win the whole thing, however if we can get the balance right we have a chance. 
  • Options
    No chance of that. He will never ever go Foden and Bellingham in the same midfield and i 100
    % agree with him. Once that press line has been broken our defence is so exposed and frankly really shit.

Anyway, one more sleep.
  • Options
    No chance of that. He will never ever go Foden and Bellingham in the same midfield and i 100
    % agree with him. Once that press line has been broken our defence is so exposed and frankly really shit.

Anyway, one more sleep.
    Seen that midfield suggested everywhere, it’s one of those that looks good on paper but probably doesn’t work as well in reality. A proper fans choice - all out attack trying to fit the best and most exciting players into one team.

Southgate though will get the blame if we don’t play well and win if he goes for any other midfield combination.

I don’t watch enough PL football to be sure of the most balanced team, but even at international level there’s value in a Henderson or Gallagher to add energy, aggression and intensity to your midfield.
  • Options
    And as our defence is weak, arguably essential to give them some good cover from Midfield
  • Options
    edited June 13
    I'd honestly play Gomez before Trippier if (when) Shaw isn't fit.

He's played there a lot more, and hasn't had injury issues this season like Trippier.  Trippier has never convinced me on the left either - looks a lot more nervy and defensive on that side compared to the forward runs he makes down the right.

I'd also start Wharton in the group - Mainoo could work later in the tournament in more open games and where we may need both him and Rice on the defensive side, but against teams who defend deeper and will likely need to be broken down, I'd rather gave Wharton's passing in there than Mainoo or Gallagher.

So v Serbia I'd go:

Pickford
    Walker, Stones, Guehi, Gomez
    Rice, Wharton
    Saka, Bellingham, Foden
    Kane

I expect Trippier and Gallagher (maybe Mainoo) to be in though.
  • Options
    John Stones missed training this morning due to an illness.
    All 26-players have trained today thankfully
  • Options
    The Left Back Issue .. (State of Emergency)

too late now BUT Wan-Bissaka filling in at left back for Shaw did a decent job for Man Utd last season
  • Options
    So with the tournament only a day away, predictions?

Winners?
    Top scorer?
    Best player?
    How far will England get?
    Will Scotland win a game?

I'm going:

- France 
    - Ronaldo (easier group, think he'll get quite a few early goals then fade).
    - Mbappe
    - Semi final
    - Nope
  • Options
    Winners? .. Germany
    Top scorer? .. Kane
    Best player? .. Mbappe
    How far will England get? .. Semis
    Will Scotland win a game? .. No, might get a draw