Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• WHAddick said:
    One round of games completed… if the groups were final at this moment in time, the round of 16 would look like this:

Spain(1B) v Czechia(3F)

Germany(1A) v Denmark(2C)

Turkey(1F) v Albania(3B)

France(2D) v Slovakia(2E)

Romania(1E) v Slovenia(3C)

Netherlands(1D) v Portugal(2F)

England(1C) v Poland(3D)

Switzerland(2A) v Italy(2B)

Updated after two games played:

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

Portugal(1F) v Slovenia(3C)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

Romania(1E) v Albania(3B)

Netherlands(1D) v Turkey(2F)

England(1C) v Austria(3D)

I don't fancy our chances of making the quarters looking at that.
    I get how the order of the third place teams is decided but why do we get Austria?
    Seems they (3D) could play Spain, 1E or 1C.
    So why is it 1C decided already?
    It isn't decided already, Callum was posting what the second round would look like if the groups finished now. It's quite likely it will look a whole different in a few days time.
    I think he's picked worst hasn't he. Currently we could get Austria, Slovakia or the Czechs can't we?
  • fenaddick said:
    Back to England:

I’ve just read on the BBC about Wharton replacing AA. How accurate that may be is another matter.

It’s not easy to find the teamlists for the qualifiers so I was wondering if anyone remembers who played in that position in the qualifiers. I seem to remember Mainoo playing there in the last few games or was that just the friendlies?

I really don’t get all this confusion. First AA, now Wharton. Who was there before?. Was it Henderson at the start of qualifying, maybe Bellingham for a few games, finishing with Mainoo, or were we playing a different formation with Rice on his own?
    We didn’t play 4-2-3-1 a huge amount, when we did sometimes it was TAA and sometimes Phillips. In a 4-3-3 it was Rice, TAA and Henderson/Gallagher (Bellingham must have been injured). Mainoo only came in for friendlies. The issue is we were qualifying against much weaker teams.
    So the mistake was not picking Henderson and/or Phillips. This what you get for cricising the manager for picking his favourites and pressurising him to pick ’on form’ players. Wharton may be on form but he’s too high risk for my liking. With Henderson in there I’d feel assured.
    But they’ve both been rubbish this season, Phillips has looked particularly unfit too. The problem isn’t TAA and Rice as such, it’s that no one is running in front of them. Foden is brilliant at following instructions, if he was told to stay out on the left he would which would create space for Kane and Bellingham. 
  • think there is a formula that states which 3rd placed teams play where, depending on which  2 groups miss out 
  • MrOneLung said:
    think there is a formula that states which 3rd placed teams play where, depending on which  2 groups miss out 
    Yes there is.

UEFA Euro 2024 knockout stage - Wikipedia
  • Looking forward to the knockout stages. It’s been a good tournament so far by all accounts but apart from the England and Scotland games I just can’t muster any interest. Even my football hating wife has remarked on how little I’ve watched. Must be an age thing. 
  • Looking forward to the knockout stages. It’s been a good tournament so far by all accounts but apart from the England and Scotland games I just can’t muster any interest. Even my football hating wife has remarked on how little I’ve watched. Must be an age thing. 
    Same here. I haven't watched a single match other than the two England games (then wished I hadn't bothered).
    I guess I'll get into it at some point but I am not altogether convinced.
    Weird really. The younger me would be disgusted
  • Aside from the car crash of a flag, my mates all used to joke about the Millwall Charlton derbies. 
    Spend 90 mins yelling shit at each other…… then meet your mates at the pub after the game. Pretty much every social / friendship group in NW Kent has a blend of both Millwall and Charlton 

Had a lengthy (drunken) chat with a really nice young guy called Spencer at the Denmark game - Millwall. We agreed that the rivalry is just that, not hatred - that is reserved for Palace for us and West Ham for them.

That said - I then told him to do one!

(I didn't!)
  • Not just a south London thing 

• Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    Surprised that some are finding it hard to get into, think it’s been a pretty brilliant tournament so far.

I’m on a flight to the States this afternoon/night - hoping the inflight WiFi is decent enough for me to stream the Scotland match, otherwise it will be a nervous time waiting for us to land and find out the result!
    Don’t worry mate 3-0 Scotland Owen McGoal with a hatrick 
  • edited June 23
    WHAddick said:
    WHAddick said:
    One round of games completed… if the groups were final at this moment in time, the round of 16 would look like this:

Spain(1B) v Czechia(3F)

Turkey(1F) v Albania(3B)

England(1C) v Poland(3D)

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

I get how the order of the third place teams is decided but why do we get Austria?
    It isn't decided already, Callum was posting what the second round would look like if the groups finished now. It's quite likely it will look a whole different in a few days time.
    I think he's picked worst hasn't he. Currently we could get Austria, Slovakia or the Czechs can't we?
    Currently, the worst 3rd placed teams are in Group A and Group F. 

That would mean 3rd placed teams from Groups B, C, D and E would qualify and therefore 1C gets 3D, 1E gets 3B, 1F gets 3C and 1B gets 3E.

• WHAddick said:
    WHAddick said:

Spain(1B) v Czechia(3F)

Turkey(1F) v Albania(3B)

England(1C) v Poland(3D)

Spain(1B) v Slovakia(3E)

France(2D) v Belgium(2E)

Currently, the worst 3rd placed teams are in Group A and Group F. 

That would mean 3rd placed teams from Groups B, C, D and E would qualify and therefore 1C gets 3D, 1E gets 3B, 1F gets 3C and 1B gets 3E.

There’s a 90% plus chance that each of Group D and Group E will have one of the best 3rd placed finishers. The assumption that they will do heavily reduces the possible combinations from 15 to 6.

ABDE => 1C vs. 3E
    ACDE => 1C vs. 3D
    ADEF => 1C vs. 3F
    BCDE => 1C vs. 3D
    BDEF => 1C vs. 3E
    CDEF => 1C vs. 3E
  • edited June 23
    Thanks Callum. Ridiculously complicated but understandable
  • edited June 23
    Cmon you can do it, we've got every faith in you being able to reach the next round of Euro 2024, and doing us all proud... Hungary!!
  • Thought Scotland might have changed things up front and gone with Shankland. Che Adams has done nothing so far in 2 games.
  • Germany goal disallowed for a foul in the run up (a foul that wouldn't be given 90% of the time if VAR didn't exist) but doesn't account for how shit a save attempt it was from Sommer
  • edited June 23
    Switzerland 1-0

Swiss top of the group as it stands. Would throw Germany into the quarter of the knockout draw that includes the winner of England’s group.
  • Switzerland 1-0

Top of the group as it stands. Would throw Germany into the quarter of the knockout draw that includes the winner of England’s group.
    God sake... Piss off Germany!!
  • Switzerland 1-0

Top of the group as it stands. Would throw Germany into the quarter of the knockout draw that includes the winner of England’s group.
    God sake... Piss off Germany!!
    On the plus side, Germany v Italy or Croatia would be an excellent round of 16 game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Germany struggling a bit with the conditions in Frankfurt?
    Cant use that excuse, Denmark and Switzerland cope fine ;)
    Cant use that excuse, Denmark and Switzerland cope fine ;)
    Slovakia against Belgium too!
  • Hungary hit the Scottish crossbar
    Would have been a joke had they scored, seeing that they got a free kick for a high foot that didnt even touch their player.
    Would have been a joke had they scored, seeing that they got a free kick for a high foot that didnt even touch their player.
    Dangerous play. Doesnt matter if he touched him or not 
  • HT Scotland 0-0 Hungary - draw isn’t any good for either team
  • HT Switzerland 1-0 Germany

As it stands:

Switzerland 7pts
    Germany 6pts
    Scotland 2pts
    Hungary 1pt
  • Pretty poor game considering both teams almost certainly need to win to progress. Hope it improves second half.

• Dear Steve. I don’t want to remind you of the fundamental principles of football but if you don’t try to score then it is highly unlikely that you will win. Nearly 70% possession and not a single effort on goal. And our keeper gives me the willies (you will appreciate that that is not the first time in my very nearly 60 years as a Scot that I have uttered that phrase). Apart from that, so far so good.