Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Go on. Be honest. How many of you fcuked off and missed the equaliser?
    I did… I was so f@cked off when they went 3-2 up but stayed, when they went 4-2 up i thought I’d leave so I didn’t have to walk up to the station with all their fans singing and jumping around… 

That’ll teach me… but I still went crazy outside the ground! 
  • Options
    I think what that second half showed is how much we just need to simplify things in the final third. Aneke obviously makes a huge difference but you can’t tell me Stockley, however poor his form has been, wouldn’t be more of a threat with a few more balls into the box like we put in second half. We have to find that way to transition from patient build up to being quicker and more direct once we’re within 40 yards of goal. 

Worried about the defence with O’Connell and Innis missing, and Wollacott seems to have caught Charltongoalkeeperitis whe it comes to stopping long shots, but we’ll park that for now. 

What a game and great belief and determination to get back into it twice.

So great for Dobbo to be the one who got the winner. 
    We didn’t win, alas.
    Lol. Oops. Well, he gave is a winning feeling at least. 
  • Options
    I admit to leaving early.  However to watch the crowing tractor boys who left early at the station silenced as the news came through was hilarious.  Loads of old boys like me giving them some proper South London banter 😂
    Far more hilarious inside the stadium.
  • Options
    Couldn't make it today… what did I miss?
  • Options
    Lesson for their number 4, never give it large to the opposition fans until the game is over!  He must be soooo embarrassed.
    Strangely enough he didn't want to talk to us after the game, or even make eye contact the big coward? Shouldn't he have been booked for his provocative behaviour?
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    When was the last time we scored a last minute/stoppage time goal that counted for something? Obviously we got one at Accrington but conceded immediately after.

Was it Cullen away at West Brom?
    Sarr qpr? 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Hard to be critical and yes there is a lot of things that are not as they should be but just look at the events. Because of Innis's suspension we play a centre half who hasn't played a first team game for at least a year, we then lose one of our full backs, one of our better players, we then lose our first choice centre back, once again vital to the team, we then bring on his replacement who has not started for us since I don't know when.
    We then go two down, our manager gets sent off by a referee who has long since lost control of the game. We fight and get two goals to draw level, we then concede two in injury time but fuck me the bloke who ain't played for a year and hasn't scored for probably longer actually scores, then to cap it all the player who fights nearly every game, draws us level, I need a lay down. 
    Only at Charlton.
  • Options
    I’ve solved all our problems- ban BG from the touchline and we’ll score freely!
    Seriously, what a game. Loved the way we fought back, loved the fans’ passion, loved Garner’s passion as he walked off towards the tunnel and loved the players’ passion. 
    Turning point had to be Aneke and CBT coming on, while Fraser was immense. 
    Underlined why I tell my grandkids never to leave a game before the final whistle. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love Ben Garner and his passion.
    Really grown on me as the season has progressed. Absolutely brilliant response from the lads and give Dobson that captain armband permanently.

9th place in touching distance of the playoffs 
    We know if you win a few games in a row in this league you can move up the table.

Not saying it will happen at all. But if we go on a little run and pick up wins against:

Burton
    Port Vale
    Cheltenham
    Morecambe 
    Bristol Rovers 

Then all of a sudden we might end up right in the mixer. 

However we have made a hash of these sort of games this year, and with potential injury issues hitting again, I am not sure if we can. 
    Before you get too carried away, compare our record vs top half teams with our record vs bottom half teams. 
  • Options
    I wonder what the record is for the number of goals scored in injury time is? Can’t be much more than four?
  • Options
    Clare on 5 yellow cards
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    When was the last time we scored a last minute/stoppage time goal that counted for something? Obviously we got one at Accrington but conceded immediately after.

Was it Cullen away at West Brom?
    Sarr qpr? 
    Great shout, and Callum has listed a few. Can't believe I forgot about Aneke at Cheltenham last season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    By the way, who else was up at Portman Road that time we drew 4-4 there? I'm sure the scoring went the same way then too ...... 0-2 down, back to 2-2, 2-4 down and then 4-4 right at the death. I'm sure we got a late penalty - Tommy Caton?

Or have I imagined all that?
    You are correct,
    I was there and I remember it well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEyTVwkXb8

• Options
    I think the people who give Stockley very low marks are wrong. Admittedly he is a relatively limited League 1 striker but the poor guy has to play up front virtually on his own. He gets no support at all from Kirk ( who is useless) and precious little from Rak Saki. He won quite a lot of headers today but its pointless because there is no one near him to help or take advantage. Also he is very important defensively because he is the 2nd best after Inniss at clearing headers. 
    The other point is that the reason Aneke is so effective when he comes on is because the defenders are tired partly from their physical battle against Stockley. 
    Agree with this to an extent. Aneke is so strong I think he would be a handful at the start of the game as well at after 60mins. I can’t see Stockley having the same influence off the bench. 

What we really need is a John Jules sort of player to play 60 mins and then release Chuks. For all of his efforts Stockley doesn’t have the pace to shut down the keeper and back four for a high pressing game. 
  • Options
    I'm afraid I'm in the stopped watching at 2-4 ! Gang.

Gutted to have missed our 2 goals as I honestly think we were not deserving of a 2cgoal defeat.

Well played to the whole squad for showing that spirit. Dobson for me epitomizes everything I love in a footballer in terms of attitude. 
  • Options
    Can't dispute the character of the team in TWICE coming back from a deficit of two goals.

Why we were twice in that situation is another question of course, perhaps partly connected to the injuries mentioned below.

Just hope the injuries to Egbo and O'Connell are not too serious but, being Charlton, that hope is probably over optimistic.

Anyway a point is better than nowt. COYR!!!!!!!!!!!