Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Ipswich Town | Saturday 29th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:
    1StevieG said:
    Andy Keogh. What a melt. That is all
    Richard Keogh - Dont worry, he's got the permanent look of someone used to being shocked by a scoreline

Sorry I keep calling him Andy for some reason. Everyone around me must have thought who’s this Andy fella you’re abusing? And let’s just enjoy the irony of bringing him on to shore up the defence. He’s 92 ffs. Thanks Ipswich! 😂

for someone in their advanced years you’d expect them not to run to mummy or the 4th official when you get a bit of chirp off the home fans.
    To be fair mate there was an Andy Keogh who played Football too, so its not like you invented a name like what I've shouted out in the past as a player lol!
  • Options
    Left after Dobbo's tunnel jump.  The Tractor Boys were in better voice before the game than after  which is making the journey home much better.  You don't often get tunnel jumps after a draw. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

How could any team blow a 2 goal lead starting from the 93rd minute 
    You've really never seen Charlton do that before .......??????  ha ha

#yetanotherjonnycomelately   :smiley:

• Options
    Hey @Simonsen ,

@Chippycafc was right. It WAS better than Tuesday :-) 
  • Options
    The problem is we need JRS and CBT on the putch to get behind teams and Aneke helps too. Without them we are too easy to stop.
  • Options
    When will he learn and stop playing Kirk and stockley? Ffs 
    Kirk played well as a 10 recently. If, and I know it's hardly likely, I'd play Chucks with Kirk, CBT out wide and JRS on the other side. Keep Stockley on the bench with Miles (when fit).
    Then bring Miles on for Chucks when he runs out of steam.
    Too many ifs and whens. We all know we don't have the squad
  • Options
    Absolutely delighted to have been proved completely wrong, but I am willing to throw the towel in early at extra time in future matches, if it means we'll score twice before the final whistle...

Must admit, felt like an eejit driving through some torrential rain and listening to Sports Report (really miss the classified results).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And I think we get the refs we deserve at this level but nobody deserved that incompetent official.
  • Options
    Hey @Simonsen ,

@Chippycafc was right. It WAS better than Tuesday :-) 
    2nd half was. At least, the bit I saw was. 1st half was a non-event. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jayajosh said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Stormed out when Ipswich scored their fourth. It was too much!
    Heard our third just outside the club shop, and what sounded like Ipswich’s fifth in Floyd Rd. Everyone thought the same, until someone saw on his phone that it was us who scored. 
    Gutted to have missed it. Aaaagh!!
    Can’t wait to see it on ITV. It has to be the first L1 match for a change.
    For all the stick I get at least I stay through thick & thin. Never leave before the end. Never.

You're no more than a glory boy. Go support your grandfathers team. 
    A bit harsh that is, there’s no need for point scoring. 

Nah, I take a lot of fucking stick & dont usually bite. But this time some people have even been questioning whether I wanted us to win. 
  • Options
    The referee was terrible, but Garner has to cope better. 
    It's not as if this was the first time he's got into trouble this way 
    I get what you're saying,  but is it a big deal if a manager has to sit in the stands? Perhaps if he gets a them against us atmosphere going and inspires a fightback it might not be such a bad thing.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Ridiculous game.  We were woeful in the first half, absolutely woeful, which reinforces that we just don’t have enough quality in this team as a whole.  Great character to keep going after being 2 goals down on separate occasions.  Aneke and CBT were so much more impactful than Stockley and Kirk, but neither can be relied on for consistent fitness or consistency.  

You have to say Ipswich will be kicking themselves letting us back in the game in the manner they did.  They should’ve been out of site.  

It’s impossible to make any sense of today.  Just a crazy game and enjoy the entertainment.  
    I don’t feel like we were woeful first half at all.

We we’re competitive for the first 30 minutes and then okay up until O’Connell went off at 43 minutes.

And then, and I think understandably considering our back line and how well Ipswich move the ball we looked like an accident waiting to happen. 
    I remember Stockley’s scuffed shot in the first few minutes when they gave the ball away and an overlap from
    Sessegnon with a low ball into the box that got claimed by their goalie.  We very much continued how we left off on Tues.  complete credit for the 2 fight backs, but I think we looked inept with the way we set up with Stockley in the first half.

He’s got 1 goal in open play all season.  It’s a real problem and we can’t hide from it.  Kirk was absent.  
    Can’t not agree with much of that. Though I don’t think our lack of bite in the final third meant we were woeful overall, especially when we matched and negated Ipswich for much of that half, and in general were good across the rest of the pitch.

In an ideal world with who we have fit I would want Aneke to start and Kirk to play off him. Aneke has this knack of bringing players into the game and also offers more movement which I think would aid Kirk. But sadly this is what we have at the moment.

Id play Stockley in these cup games and try and get some confidence back into him. Because I think in a two up top he can still provide something for us.  
  • Options
    When was the last time we scored a last minute/stoppage time goal that counted for something? Obviously we got one at Accrington but conceded immediately after.

Was it Cullen away at West Brom?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shades of Mendoca's Wembley .. 4 goals after the 90 was up .. great fighting spirit and when a team shows that, they can be forgiven anything .. I'll say again. our squad is not as flimsy or light on players as many keep saying .. terrific game
  • Options
    Think Garner has a fine coming after that interview!!
  • Options
    I was listening on Charlton TV…..when their fourth went in I turned off in disgust……what a twat.
    I should know better.🫤
  • Options
    Well, that was fun. 

Still shows the difference Aneke & CBT make. Aneke is so good at holding the ball up, backing into players & bringing others into the game. Something Stockley just can't do and then there is his power when running with it. He made the first goal & without that we would have gone on to lose by 4 or 5. 

We really do need to drop Stockley & start Aneke. I don't believe he cant play 70 mins from the start. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    What more could a boy want 😁

Hair?   :smiley:

Your nickname is definitely not razor 😉
    Yeah, ha ha ha ......but I'd only just started reading the thread from the beginning when I saw your post -  and immediately responded.
    Then when I got to the next page I was mortified to see I'd already been beaten to it!

I couldn't delete my post fast enough!  :anguished:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    By the way, who else was up at Portman Road that time we drew 4-4 there? I'm sure the scoring went the same way then too ...... 0-2 down, back to 2-2, 2-4 down and then 4-4 right at the death. I'm sure we got a late penalty - Tommy Caton?

Or have I imagined all that?
    Was at that, comeback never seemed on the cards! Was the 4-4 at home to Norwich also 0-2, 2-2, 2-4, 4-4?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I watched the match until the final whistle. Unbelievable Jeff! But i didn’t watch the post match stuff on Charlton tv as I wanted to catch the last of the evening on the beach with a drink! Bloody shortening of day light.