Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney asking for big crowd for Brighton match (Potential Buyers?)

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    WSS said:
    If a buyer/investor is swayed by a crowd at a one off game - I’d be questioning their business acumen anyway.
    I suspect it’s not about facts, figures and balance sheets but a sense of the passion this club can generate that PV is hoping for. 
    The stuff you can’t see from a look through the accounts. 
    This. An actual first hand experience of the potential of the fanbase that PV could quite possibly have been trying to drum up to someone which will go a lot further than watching DVD's from the Premier League days but to show the support is still out there in the here and now.
  • Options
    Anywhere close to 20k is fanciful. 

Perhaps the potential investor has been sold a pipe dream and will get a shock when he turns up and the ground isn't packed full with revenue flying in. 
    Bought my tickets before I saw this thread & Varney’s tweet but…

a) anyone who thinks we’re getting anything like 20k for a midweek league cup game is crazy. We got about 3,000 home fans to our last home cup match, and that was on a Saturday. 

b) anyone who would let the attendance at a midweek cup match influence their decision to buy a football club should be treated with extreme caution. In fact, anyone who would want to buy Charlton for any reason should, initially at least, be treated with caution. 
  • Options
    this opinion piece would suggest that Peter’s prospect is not middle eastern or at least not Saudi nor Qatari. 

• Options
    "Peter Varney's red n white army".
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:
    I'll bow out for tonight.
    I'm disappointed how many fans we have on here who appear to not want to turn up & support the team.

Especially when Varney is effectively suggesting that new potential owners will be watching & we need to demonstrate we can still turn up in numbers.

I suppose it's not unexpected in truth. 
    I can understand both points of view mate especially with so many false dawns since 2014. I won’t be there but as you know it’s a bit of a trek for me however I’ll be at Morecambe which is more manageable 😉 COYAs.
    I wouldn't expect anyone to travel long distances for a midweek game (apart from opposition fans  :)
    I gather @dubaicafc is attending.
    Let it go Elfs 😉
    Yes yes yes, like a poodle with a bone, I know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this opinion piece would suggest that Peter’s prospect is not middle eastern or at least not Saudi nor Qatari. 

Christ, four clubs, all owned by Saudi/Qatari money basically winning all English and European competitions is a dystopia.   
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I'll bow out for tonight.
    I'm disappointed how many fans we have on here who appear to not want to turn up & support the team.

Especially when Varney is effectively suggesting that new potential owners will be watching & we need to demonstrate we can still turn up in numbers.

I suppose it's not unexpected in truth. 
    I can understand both points of view mate especially with so many false dawns since 2014. I won’t be there but as you know it’s a bit of a trek for me however I’ll be at Morecambe which is more manageable 😉 COYAs.
    I wouldn't expect anyone to travel long distances for a midweek game (apart from opposition fans  :)
    I gather @dubaicafc is attending...

Is that some sort of clue?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Sorry but if a potential new owner can be swayed by how big the crowd is at a cup game, do we want them as owners? Sorry to play devils advocate as such, but I personally want someone who sees the potential regardless of the dwindling fanbase, the small crowds and the shite we serve up on a semi regular basis, and someone who understands that it's a financial risk, that only pays off if you get out of this shitty league, and even more importantly, stay out of it for the foreseeable! 
    The only saleable asset TS has is goodwill.

Both TS and RD, if rumours are to be believed, are asking for over the odds for the club and assets.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for an investor / buyer to look at what home attendance against a well run PL side could be to decide what, if any, value that goodwill has.
  • Options
    Does it imply a deal done in time in for the January transfer window is possible? 

I fear that's wishful thinking and then my pessimism says they wont proceed until next summer / until relegation mathematically avoided should the interest be firmed up.

Want to be enthused but struggling.

• Options
    WSS said:
    If a buyer/investor is swayed by a crowd at a one off game - I’d be questioning their business acumen anyway.
    Wouldn’t a potential buyer, if there is one, see two very reassuring things, that an underperforming business does have the potential to quickly turn around; and that the guy who has been pitching it to him is the real deal if he can trigger a boost to the crowd with a tweet ?
    This, it’s about showing the potential is still there.

Is it a coincidence they’re going to a game after the World Cup has finished?
  • Options
    This all sounds pretty imminent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can I be the first to say it's all the fans fault if we don't get a new owner  ;)
  • Options
    Mike Ashley...
  • Options
    Oly thing about picking the Brighton game is that we will probably get spanked about 6-0 :D
  • Options
    This all sounds pretty imminent.

The next two weeks will be crucial.
  • Options
    I'm not going.  As a season ticket holder, I turn up every league game and it's shit.

all this free ticket to non season ticket holder crap but nothing for the loyal supporters who go every week.

this is the opportunity to reward season ticket holders by giving us a free ticket
    All the years I have had a season ticket at Charlton I can’t remember being given a free Cup ticket as part of the league season ticket.

Bit late in the day now anyway as they are already on sale, but the chances of your opportunity happening under Breaking Even Sandgaard would have been slim to nowt in the first place. 
  • Options
    I'm not going.  As a season ticket holder, I turn up every league game and it's shit.

all this free ticket to non season ticket holder crap but nothing for the loyal supporters who go every week.

this is the opportunity to reward season ticket holders by giving us a free ticket
    The free tickets are given to ST holders to bring a friend... 
  • Options
    is it to test out the new speaker system vs a crowd and if we can hear the upbeat techno music? 
  • Options
    Or have we got some short-dated Meantime we need to shift?