Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney asking for big crowd for Brighton match (Potential Buyers?)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone investing more than a £1 would know exactly what they were putting money into, especially a football club. A crowd big or small won’t make a difference.  I don’t doubt there is something happening or possible a potential investor but after the last 15 odd years and the memory of Roland Duchelet and co still fresh I’m not going to get excited over a mystic tweet from Peter Varney, despite his passion for our club. 
    Coming from you ck, I find that somewhat disappointing. 🫤
  • Options
    Got my tickets. Going North Lower for this one.
  • Options
    Just a little reign in on expectations, a little reminder it was Varney who brought us Tony Jiminez and Michael Slater.
    And engineered the record-breaking 2011/12 League One title campaign which followed?

I’m no fan of Jimenez and Slater, but what exactly was your alternative? The club had run out of money in 2010. It did again in 2012 - quite literally - but the spivs didn’t sell young players and they left the club in a better place than they found it, on the pitch anyway.

Their ownership wasn’t sustainable and they weren’t good people, but for a while they were a means to an end. 
    But they had no alternative but to sell to RD which started the current cycle.
  • Options
    Anywhere close to 20k is fanciful. 

Perhaps the potential investor has been sold a pipe dream and will get a shock when he turns up and the ground isn't packed full with revenue flying in. 
    Imagine its showing the potential of the club with the right backing. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    I get all the scepticism / erring with caution which is VERY wise given the previous false dawns. But wtf can we hope for, the current ownership is a joke we have to keep hoping for a change that does work which to me is more likely than it ever going right under Sandgaard. 

Just turn up.
    But why not turn up on a league game, or indeed every league game? Shows a bigger commitment to the club, and 20k against some tinpot northern outpost with 250 away fans is far more impressive than scraping 20k together whilst giving up 6k tickets to a premier league outfit in a glory cup game with cheap tickets
    Because that’s when the potential buyer is in town?
  • Options
    Perhaps the buyer has been confirmed and it will be announced before the game? 
    Seems like it could be a roundabout way of saying that could be the case maybe? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    shine166 said:
    I'm not going.  As a season ticket holder, I turn up every league game and it's shit.

all this free ticket to non season ticket holder crap but nothing for the loyal supporters who go every week.

this is the opportunity to reward season ticket holders by giving us a free ticket
    The free tickets are given to ST holders to bring a friend... 

Exactly. How does that benefit a season ticket holder? Everyone else gets freebies except loyal season ticket holders
    Are you upset because you haven’t a friend to give a ticket too?
    Yes.and the fact that people on here don't go to league games and are now telling people to go to a cup game.
    Unfortunately true. 
    But I do think that this request is different because of from whom it comes from. Peter Varney.
    If there is a chance of further investment in our Club that will help us progress on and off the pitch, and hopefully get us out of this League quicker, then as a loyal season ticket holder one would hope that you, and the rest of us that do go, will try and attend if we have the time and money to do so.
    The freebie’s bit is another argument altogether and I don’t believe it is relevant in this instance.
    If there is an investor or potential buyer sniffing around, I'm sure they are doing due diligence and not just basing their decision on one cup game. 
  • Options
    Tbf looking at the available tickets to buy on the club website unless they open up more sections there are not many still available
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I can't understand why any fan that still lives local wouldn't want to be at this game regardless of what Varney has tweeted.
    I'll be in Prague unfortunately, actually i think i'd rather be there.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Redrobo said:
    shine166 said:
    I'm not going.  As a season ticket holder, I turn up every league game and it's shit.

all this free ticket to non season ticket holder crap but nothing for the loyal supporters who go every week.

this is the opportunity to reward season ticket holders by giving us a free ticket
    The free tickets are given to ST holders to bring a friend... 

Exactly. How does that benefit a season ticket holder? Everyone else gets freebies except loyal season ticket holders
    Are you upset because you haven’t a friend to give a ticket too?
    Yes.and the fact that people on here don't go to league games and are now telling people to go to a cup game.
    Unfortunately true. 
    But I do think that this request is different because of from whom it comes from. Peter Varney.
    If there is a chance of further investment in our Club that will help us progress on and off the pitch, and hopefully get us out of this League quicker, then as a loyal season ticket holder one would hope that you, and the rest of us that do go, will try and attend if we have the time and money to do so.
    The freebie’s bit is another argument altogether and I don’t believe it is relevant in this instance.
    If there is an investor or potential buyer sniffing around, I'm sure they are doing due diligence and not just basing their decision on one cup game. 
    It's more about showing potential. As that is what new investors or owners will be looking for. The more potential we show the more we will be taken seriously. 

You can't hide what's been going on with the attendances and apathy but if we show potential it really can go a long way with potential buyers actually there in the flesh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    IF this tweet and resulting paranoia about a potential new owner being at the Brighton game is true, do we really think that this game is the first time this latest "Savior" of our great club have been to either The Valley or indeed any game, I very much doubt that would be the scenario...
    IF this is all about any new owner, then maybe Varney is just trying to get as many faces he can to witness any announcement, and a cup game against a top half Premier League team seems a good platform, anyway let's just see how this ends up, could be a very interesting December..
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The next 2 weeks could be crucial. 
  • Options
    IF this tweet and resulting paranoia about a potential new owner being at the Brighton game is true, do we really think that this game is the first time this latest "Savior" of our great club have been to either The Valley or indeed any game, I very much doubt that would be the scenario...
    IF this is all about any new owner, then maybe Varney is just trying to get as many faces he can to witness any announcement, and a cup game against a top half Premier League team seems a good platform, anyway let's just see how this ends up, could be a very interesting December..

• Options
    I also think PV is sending a hidden message to Banjo Bill. In that if we can fill the Valley off the back of my tweet, just imagine what we could achieve with PROPER leadership and management 
  • Options
    Or could this be a cunning, Waco attempt, which will see Varney carted off in a straight jacket foaming at the mouth and screaming obscenities? 

Just playing Devils Advocate.
    Hmmmm… 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waco,_Texas
  • Options
    I sit almost in front of Peter in the West Stand and occasionally have a chat with him. I'm sure he won't reveal anything directly but if he is there on Friday I’ll keep my ears open.
    Wouldn’t that be a bad sign if he is in his usual seat ?

I’d be more comfy if he was in the Directors Box on this occasion. 🙂