Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    -5C currently, expecting a postponement tomorrow.
  • Options
    The match is Saturday and will be on
  • Options
    Nothing has thawed out locally (south of M25), but don’t know how London is fairing? Temperatures are largely sub-zero until it is too late, so reckon it will be off, but all will be back to normal come Wednesday’s home game. 

Personally don’t mind that at all injuries considered. Would rather O’Connell and Jojo be available for example. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I walked my dogs at Hall Place yesterday - still covered in snow - some kids had rolled a huge snowball, and exposed the grass underneath - the ground was as solid as a rock - no way would it take a stud - it needs much warmer temperatures between now and 3pm Saturday to get the pitch playable

Perhaps @HenryIrving could advise us if the snow has been cleared from the pitch yet - that may help

So it’s a no from me, or perhaps I want it to be called off so I don’t have to sit freezing my nuts off watching yet another load of dross 🤔
  • Options
    I walked my dogs at Hall Place yesterday - still covered in snow - some kids had rolled a huge snowball, and exposed the grass underneath - the ground was as solid as a rock - no way would it take a stud - it needs much warmer temperatures between now and 3pm Saturday to get the pitch playable

Perhaps @HenryIrving could advise us if the snow has been cleared from the pitch yet - that may help

So it’s a no from me, or perhaps I want it to be called off so I don’t have to sit freezing my nuts off watching yet another load of dross 🤔
    IF the game is on I'll be watching it at home, in the warm & roasting my nuts by the fire 🙂
  • Options
    Here in Lee the ground is frozen.
    Back in the day when I was a referee I wouldn’t have let games happen in such conditions, it was drummed into us during referee training at the Meridian that we could be liable for injuries caused by allowing play in dangerous circumstances.
  • Options
    Cant see it being on, also train strike day and i think bus strike too. 
  • Options

IF the game is on I'll be watching it at home, in the warm & roasting my nuts by the fire 🙂
    Steady....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Early on in the season I was told (by what I assumed was a reliable source) that the boiler for the under soil heating system had been installed.

The photos suggest that is not the case.  (Unless the lamps are being used to clear the snow from the surface before the undersoil heating goes on. All of that would be very expensive to run of course.)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cant see it being on, also train strike day and i think bus strike too. 
    There will be a half hourly train service between London Bridge & Dartford via Charlton on Saturday.
    Trains towards London Bridge after the game depart from Charlton at 17.10 & the last train at 17.40
    Trains towards Dartford at 17.20, 17.50 & the last train at 18.16.
    https://timetables.southeasternrailway.co.uk/#/timetables/1813/Table 5 SO

The bus strike affects only buses operated by Abellio which serve West & South London, none of which serve anywhere near Charlton.

Bus routes affected by strikes

All routes affected are run by Abellio.

Day routes

3, 27, 45, 63, 68, 109, 130, 156, 195, 196, 201, 207, 267, 270, 278, 315, 322, 350, 367, 381, 407, 415, 427, 433, 464, 482, 490, 969, C10, E5, E7, E10, E11, H20, H25, H28, H26, P5, P13, R68, R70, S4, U5, U7, U9

https://tfl.gov.uk/campaign/strikes

• Options
    Isn't manure good for the thawing process?

If so, just send our squad out to train on it for a couple of days, pitch will be playable in no time.
  • Options
    I'd be very surprised if it goes ahead on Saturday.  Just too cold and the ground will be rock hard but, more importantly, the strikes happening and it seems the gritters have stopped now despite all paths round my way being deathtraps.

Once again this country has handled this cold snap pretty poorly
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I'd be very surprised if it goes ahead on Saturday.  Just too cold and the ground will be rock hard but, more importantly, the strikes happening and it seems the gritters have stopped now despite all paths round my way being deathtraps.

#RoyalGreenwich gritters have been busy over the last few days. Priority routes cover: Main roads Bus and hospital routes Transport hubs Busy hills Town centres Schools that need access for adapted vehicles For gritting routes and more  http://royalgreenwich.gov.uk/winterweather
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Royal_Greenwich/status/1602381522371215370?cxt=HHwWlICwuafg5rwsAAAA
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Swisdom said:

What about around the ground though, which is the most important thing to consider?

If the roads and pavements are unsafe around the Valley then there would be an issue 

Anyone local been past there in the last day or two? 
  • Options
    I would be amazed if the game goes ahead just based on past experience. The temperatures are not rising until Sunday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Friday temp says -1 degree until midday; well below freezing overnight and on Saturday 5 degrees max by midday. Really cant see it happening. By Tuesday should be OK for us to get stuffed by Brighton.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Friday temp says -1 degree until midday; well below freezing overnight and on Saturday 5 degrees max by midday. Really cant see it happening. By Tuesday should be OK for us to get stuffed by Brighton.
    Enjoy being on your tod in The Valley on Tuesday ....
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

What about around the ground though, which is the most important thing to consider?

If the roads and pavements are unsafe around the Valley then there would be an issue 

Anyone local been past there in the last day or two? 
    Haven't been to the ground but there do seem to be some pavements in Charlton that haven't been cleared.
  • Options
    It’s 5 degrees in Charlton at midday on Saturday. I don’t think the state of the pavements will be an issue.
  • Options
    More often than not, games are called off because of conditions outside of the ground, rather than the playing surface, so I'm guessing it won't go ahead.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    No cold weather threat to pitch for #cafc v Bristol Rovers on Saturday as the club can now operate its undersoil heating system. A plus for the owner the club doesn’t seem keen to flag up. Icy paths could be a problem but the temperature should get high enough to resolve that.

posted to save everyone having to click the link. 
  • Options
    As long as they call it off in plenty of time then I don't care. What we don't want is a pitch inspection an hour before the game.
  • Options
    Andy D'Urso is Saturdays ref so it will be called off around 2.45.
  • Options
    Unless we can't afford to turn it on