Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    Not sure what people expect. The weather is still very cold but is forecast to be above freezing from early morning ie. Improving. But we don’t control the weather. 

The pitch isn’t currently a write off and they are trying to get it played. 

If they wanted it off they would have done less to keep it on. It’s a cost to call it off especially if we have incurred expense in under soil heating / blowers etc. 

Quite usual for a further pitch inspection as I recall. 
    To be fair, there is a lot more information in this comment than in the official update - all they have said is the pitch has been inspected - nothing about the current condition of the pitch, when a second inspection will take place (other than "in the morning") or even what actions are currently being undertaken to ensure the match goes ahead (e.g are they using the undersoil heating or not?)

I'm sure it is quite usual in the conditions to have multiple inspections, but not adequately explaining (or explaining at all) the outcome I would suggest is not usual or proper at all.
    Well yes they could say more. But it’s not improper. They have an obligation to the opposition presumably hence an interim update. 

But we are collectively falling into the trap now (as we did with RD) of looking for fault in every act or deed regardless of significance. 

We have been led to believe we have fired up the under soil heating for the first time but the club hasn’t said that. 

It’s bloody cold. That is the bottom line. 
  • Options
    As I guessed, looks like we can't afford to turn it on! 
  • Options
    Why are you no longer optimistic? Is the undersoil heating working or not?

The pipes don’t appear to be working too well on the south half of the pitch!
  • Options
    clive said:
    Remember when we used to have a proper comms team that kept us up to date with this sort of thing.
    Staff shortages 
  • Options
    The nearest comparable PWS is close to the Blackwall Tunnel Approach and is showing an air temperature of -1.3.  Today’s max was 1.4.

The last 2 night minimums were -4.1 (last night) and -5.1 (night before last).  Grass temperatures would have been several degrees below those numbers.  I would expect the Valley pitch temperatures to be lower due to coldest air flowing to the lowest locations.  The undersoil heating better be good !

• Options
    It would do us a favour if the match is cancelled.

Much better chance of winning if we play them later in the season with a new manager, more players back fit (a few have been ill this week) & hopefully a new owner that brings in new players in Jan.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of supposition here. 

Do we know it’s not working ? I assume the fact that’s it’s not yet off suggests it is working but maybe we are not 100% confident enough power to withstand a further night of very low temperatures. 

It’s surely cheaper to call it off earlier rather than later. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Not sure what people expect. The weather is still very cold but is forecast to be above freezing from early morning ie. Improving. But we don’t control the weather. 

If they wanted it off they would have done less to keep it on. It’s a cost to call it off especially if we have incurred expense in under soil heating / blowers etc. 

To be fair, there is a lot more information in this comment than in the official update - all they have said is the pitch has been inspected - nothing about the current condition of the pitch, when a second inspection will take place (other than "in the morning") or even what actions are currently being undertaken to ensure the match goes ahead (e.g are they using the undersoil heating or not?)

I'm sure it is quite usual in the conditions to have multiple inspections, but not adequately explaining (or explaining at all) the outcome I would suggest is not usual or proper at all.
    Well yes they could say more. But it’s not improper. They have an obligation to the opposition presumably hence an interim update. 

But we are collectively falling into the trap now (as we did with RD) of looking for fault in every act or deed regardless of significance. 

We have been led to believe we have fired up the under soil heating for the first time but the club hasn’t said that. 

I wasn't criticising the owner, as far as I know he isn't even in the country so how would he know what state the pitch is in?

My criticism is of the statement on the website. - in that it doesn't really tell us anything a day before the game when people may be travelling a long distance.
  • Options

I wasn't criticising the owner, as far as I know he isn't even in the country so how would he know what state the pitch is in?

My criticism is of the statement on the website. - in that it doesn't really tell us anything a day before the game when people may be travelling a long distance.
    Understood. 

But whilst it may be interesting to learn if they are using the under soil heating or heat lamps if both it changes nothing for travelling fans. It’s less sunk cost to call it off early surely?
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Change the date tomorrow, the day before? 
    If the pitch is playable the game must go ahead.
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
    Home to West Ham about 20 years ago?
    Was that about 30 mins before kick off? I stayed in the white swan and got the same 5:05 train home 😬
  • Options
    It seems yet another error of judgment has been made, the same error of judgement that was made 2+ years ago when a decision was made concerning the pitch where the person was unqualified to make such a decision.
    As we expect the junior staff will be thrown under the bus, while those trying to save a few quid and to make themselves look good hide under their desk. 
    Those that understand these things are telling me, you’ll  be Christmas shopping tomorrow afternoon and not freezing your nuts off.
    Don’t shoot the messenger 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Change the date tomorrow, the day before? 
    If the pitch is playable the game must go ahead.
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
    Home to West Ham about 20 years ago?
    Was that about 30 mins before kick off? I stayed in the white swan and got the same 5:05 train home 😬
    I seem to remember that. We were in a rich vein of form (for us) and Wet Spam were in the opposite situation. We fancied the match  and the other lot didn’t and wouldn’t come out of the dressing room to warm up. Guess what ? …. the ‘appy ‘ammers got their way and the game was called off. 
  • Options
    Apparently the going rate for a suitable boiler is 100k

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't we call a game off in the early afternoon because the ref decided the side the linesman ran up and down on was too icy? We've also called games off due to the local roads being too slippery before, and like I said I doubt that's been rectified yet
  • Options
    Just home from Highbury and can confirm its fucking freezing out.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Didn't we call a game off in the early afternoon because the ref decided the side the linesman ran up and down on was too icy? We've also called games off due to the local roads being too slippery before, and like I said I doubt that's been rectified yet
    Yes, I think that was Andy D'Urso wasn't it?
  • Options
    I walked around the ground yesterday and whilst the pavements and roads are clear in some places, there is still plenty of snow and ice. You have to tread carefully. It may improve a little today and Saturday will be warming up to 7C but it could still be only 4 or 5C at 11am for an inspection. What might help is the prospect of a tiny pre-Christmas gate...
    3C according to this morning’s forecast. 
    Whatever happened to gritting pavements? Seen none around Battersea/Clapham. 
  • Options
    Some ice around the streets shouldn't matter - and I walk with a stick and it's not easy on an icy pavement. We can all take responsibility for ourselves. But of course the pitch needs to be playable, and hopefully it will be, fingers crossed. 
    Can councils be sued if you slip on ice and break your hip? I’m sure that used to be the case. I think there’s a duty of care with public events. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Scunthorpe at home afew years ago got called off at midday. I was getting off bus in Woolwich at the time when it had got called off. 
    We had been on the road already for 8 hours by then. Went to watch Gravesend and Northfleet play along with afew other Charlton fans. 
    January 2017 I believe?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Scunthorpe at home afew years ago got called off at midday. I was getting off bus in Woolwich at the time when it had got called off. 
    We had been on the road already for 8 hours by then. Went to watch Gravesend and Northfleet play along with afew other Charlton fans. 
    January 2017 I believe?

Don't remember the Scunthorpe game you mention. Game against Barnsley was called off very late on a Saturday, think it was about a month after the abandoned Doncaster game.
  • Options
    It's going to be like transfer deadline day isn't it? It will get called off and then we will be told how they were trying really hard.