Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    JamesSeed said:

So -3C in the night, rising to 4C during the day. 
    If we have undersoil heating it should be fine, with a bit of judicious gritting around the place?
    I think we have the system but no boiler is connected...
    It's connected and already turned on. 
    Really. That's good then 
  • Options
    pavements seemed icier today than they did yesterday, surprised me given how much the sun was out yesterday.

Doesn't look like it rises above freezing again now u til about 10am tomorrow 
  • Options
    Out and about in the Lee area yesterday and the footways were deadly slippery.
    Looks like the same today.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Just been out walking in Greenwich and a lot of the pavements are very slippery. Maybe it's just an age thing? Never noticed ice as a kid.

• Options
    seth plum said:

Just been out walking in Greenwich and a lot of the pavements are very slippery. Maybe it's just an age thing? Never noticed ice as a kid.

We've been turned into a generation of anxt ridden pussies is the likely reason.

Deary me. A bit of ice.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    seth plum said:
    I think it is an age thing. Round here the young ones sprint along and then do a standing slide which makes the black and white ice more slippery.
    A fall at my age could easily be a broken bone or two which would take months to heal. After adding to NHS burdens as well.
    My advice to everybody is don’t get any older.
    My advice is wear some boots or shoes with appropriate soles. 
    Mrs Plum has loads of shoes, some (most) bought new over the years and never worn!
    I only have three sets of footwear, one a pair of slippers bought in Sainsbury’s, one a lightweight pair of slip ons and a more substantial pair of lace ups.
    Admittedly my footwear purchasing opportunities are limited because I don’t wear animal skins.
    I would love a good pair of appropriately designed Kevlar shoes.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

My advice to everybody is don’t get any older.
    That’s the first thing you’ve said I’ve agreed with for years Seth :-) 

I realised yesterday when doing my banana skin aerial pirouette I’ve past the point where you haven’t fallen over, you’ve ‘had a fall’ 

sad times :-( 
    So, so true........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I walked on an ortho ward for a number of years where falls and admission were inevitably related to ageing. Bone density is poor with a lot of the elderly which makes fractures more likely.

Shoes with a decent sole make a big difference. Anyone with a shuffling gait when they walk will struggle with icy pavements...
  • Options
    Well I live a 10 min walk from The Valley and all the roads and especially pavements in the surrounding area are slippery as hell, as the name suggests the sun doesn't get on it that much and it's not really gone above freezing for several days. 

Unless there's a mammoth gritting operation today then I won't be surprised if they call it off due to safety
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Well I live a 10 min walk from The Valley and all the roads and especially pavements in the surrounding area are slippery as hell, as the name suggests the sun doesn't get on it that much and it's not really gone above freezing for several days. 

Unless there's a mammoth gritting operation today then I won't be surprised if they call it off due to safety
    Haven't seen much in the way of pavements being cleared in Greenwich/Charlton in the last few days.

Thankfully we have a very young fanbase so slippery pavements won't be an issue..
  • Options
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Change the date tomorrow, the day before? 
    If the pitch is playable the game must go ahead.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Why can't the clubs agree to move the game, especially loads will not turn up due to the rail strikes. 
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Games have been previously called off because the streets outside were dangerous
    Brentford FA Cup 1996 (I think due to slippery conditions down Floyd Road) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With the train strike there doing me a favour giving me an excuse not to go. I personally will not go back until this crap with the owner is sorted out. I feel sorry for the next manager he has no chance. What a joke and with Brighton sending there first team down next week it doesn’t look good. 
    Joke of an owner and joke of a team. Garner should have been given more time, we paid compensation to get him in then we have to pay the rest of his contract up to loose him. Money this club does not have. 
    I fear for the rest of the season thankfully it will be with me not watching. Tried to give my season ticket away four people laughed at me saying why would we go there. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Whatever the decision, make it now, I am thinking of the travelling fans, having to make a long trip from Bristol, and of course long distance Addicks, along with a train strike, they need to be advised this afternoon if it is off...
  • Options
    Whatever the decision, make it now, I am thinking of the travelling fans, having to make a long trip from Bristol, and of course long distance Addicks, along with a train strike, they need to be advised this afternoon if it is off...
    Probably be called off an hour before kickoff...
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Brentford FA Cup 1996 (I think due to slippery conditions down Floyd Road) 
    Snowed on the morning of the game, I think.
  • Options
    It's been a long time since we've had day after day of well-below freezing temperatures like this week. GIven that the big thaw isn't due to start until Sat evening I wouldn't be surprised if the game is off. 
  • Options
    What you don't want is the game to go ahead then gets called off 15 minutes in as it's obvious the pitch is dangerous.
  • Options
    If the pitch is playable the game should go ahead. 

Calling it off because it snowed a week earlier would be ridiculous.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    If the pitch is playable the game should go ahead. 

Calling it off because it snowed a week earlier would be ridiculous.
    That’s not it, though. We’ve had no snow in Thanet. We do have ice today.