Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will Saturdays Match Go Ahead? - Yes (p15)

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    If the pitch is playable the game should go ahead. 

Calling it off because it snowed a week earlier would be ridiculous.
    That’s not it, though. We’ve had no snow in Thanet. We do have ice today.
    That's nice for you. The ground isn't in Thanet though. 
    I think the point is that ice can form with or without snow. The problem is the temperature now, not just that it snowed a while ago.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when there is an inspection?
  • Options
    Peterborough's game in L1 and several in L2 including the game at Wimbledon have been postponed already
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I think the point is that ice can form with or without snow. The problem is the temperature now, not just that it snowed a while ago.
    It can indeed. But I thought the specific problem around the ground was that the snow that fell last week hasn't been cleared and is now frozen into ice.

If that snow wasn't still there, ie because it had been cleared, then there might still be a risk of icy patches of course, but probably nothing like the problem that's there now.
  • Options
    The snow would actually have been an insulator. Without it the ground would in fact freeze more... Weirdly.
  • Options
    Need someone on the ground. Anyone live round the corner from the valley? There's no money involved, and think safety first. But imagine the virtual love that will emanate from CL when u confirm the snow/ice/grit situation at Floyd Road and provide the current friction coefficient.
    I suggest a video  uploaded to YouTube might be the preferred format.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    iaitch said:
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:

I'm itk and the new owners are moving us to Thanet asap.
    So Airman's the new owner...terrific...🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    I think it is an age thing. Round here the young ones sprint along and then do a standing slide which makes the black and white ice more slippery.
    A fall at my age could easily be a broken bone or two which would take months to heal. After adding to NHS burdens as well.
    My advice to everybody is don’t get any older.
    My advice is wear some boots or shoes with appropriate soles. 
    Concept Roma Mens Black Ice Skate  Als Skate Shop
    Might even get Jayden up to speed.
  • Options
    Does anyone know when there is an inspection?
    The referee?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64000416

Sunday's game between Luton and Millwall is off already, two days in advance

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2022/december/millwall-postponed/
    Just a few hours ago they were posting on fb asking for help moving the snow. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Well I live a 10 min walk from The Valley and all the roads and especially pavements in the surrounding area are slippery as hell, as the name suggests the sun doesn't get on it that much and it's not really gone above freezing for several days. 

Unless there's a mammoth gritting operation today then I won't be surprised if they call it off due to safety
    Similar to Newcastle away in the Premier League days.
  • Options
    sm said:
    seth plum said:
    I think it is an age thing. Round here the young ones sprint along and then do a standing slide which makes the black and white ice more slippery.
    A fall at my age could easily be a broken bone or two which would take months to heal. After adding to NHS burdens as well.
    But less chance of him learning how to jump again.

His aerial ability has diminished considerably since his back/hip injury last season.
  • Options
    Been to the ground today , the snow was being cleared from the pitch at 2pm. All the Jimmy Seed end of the pitch was in the shade and still snow covered. I don't know how effective the under soil heating is but if it goes below zero tonight , I think it will be off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Just phoned the club
    "At the moment the game is definitely on. The pitch is clear and the surrounding roads have been gritted"
    Checked BBC weather says -5 tonight, 7 degrees tomorrow.
    We will see.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    80% off
    20% on.

The games is definitely on at the moment because they haven't called it off yet!
  • Options
    sm said:
    seth plum said:
    But less chance of him learning how to jump again.

His aerial ability has diminished considerably since his back/hip injury last season.
    He could perhaps double-toe-loop it into the top corner?
  • Options
    Definitely the right decision to make the decision today, either way, especially for the away fans
  • Options
    In the good old days, the club would have asked for volunteers to help clear & grit/salt the walkways which I understand are still icy.

Teamwork within a club united with its fans. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Remember when we used to have a proper comms team that kept us up to date with this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Definitely the right decision to make the decision today, either way, especially for the away fans
    Bugger the away fans, I'm more concerned about my journey down!
  • Options
    In the good old days, the club would have asked for volunteers to help clear & grit/salt the walkways which I understand are still icy.

Teamwork within a club united with its fans. 
    How would that work with the surrounding roads, though?

That would be as much, if not more, of a problem as the stadium itself.