Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

The first half was a tight and unremarkable affair, with both sides looking a little reticent and lacking in confidence.

But the second half proved better. On 49 mins, a Canny Kanu pushed the ball around his defender and broke out to the left before delivering a peach of a cross with his left foot that found a leaping Leaburn rising to head it past the hapless Peterborough keeper. A lung-busting run from Sean Clare almost saw a second when he broke through, one on one barreling down on the keeper, only to hit the wrong side of the post. The Addicks looked more aggressive in attack, but their period in the lead was brief when Peterborough scored some fifteen minutes later after a goalmouth scramble from a corner. 

Charlton had opportunities that we failed to convert. Rak-Saki’s first touch came in from of the keeper in the six yard box, but he managed to screw his shot wide, and he had opportunities later that he could have done better with. Meanwhile, a lacklustre Peterborough hit the crossbar twice and, on another day, could have come away with all three points.

Manager Dean Holden’s reign is off to a fair start. We looked better at the back and we looked less pensive in possession. Unfortunately, we didn’t have enough to set ourselves above.

Charlton 1 Peterborough 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Half of me is happy we didn't lose 2-1, but we should really have grabbed 3 points seeing as we only manage to beat teams near the top. 

Peterborough lost 4 out of their last 5 so we cannot build them up to being an amazing team in this Division. They are not in the play off spots.
  • Options
    Gave the ball away far too often for my liking.
  • Options
    Positives:
    The changes whilst raising some understandable eyebrows, actually seemed to work, the freshness of Leaburn | Kanu up front worked well as a pairing (what with the knowledge of working together in the Youth Groups), Ness continues to do reasonably well for him himself, whilst Aaron Henry looked an improvement from his EFL Trophy appearances

Negatives:
    On the other hand, the players we've relied on for much of the season, failed to impress when they did get involved - Rak-Sakyi, you could argue he's played a lot of games this season, but we've seen his composure today at the likes of Shrewsbury, so thats nothing new from him - Kirk again, is a lukewarm player as we know.

Whilst Stockley (at least he linked up well again), is much less mobile than bloody Kanu of all people, whose only fault was he looked very inexperienced first half, a different player completely in the second.

Overall Opinion:
    Strengthen next month as we all desperately hope...

Ness | Kanu | Henry need to go to League Two on loan for their development, all three show such promise, but they're never going to improve with minutes here and there.
  • Options
    Fair result as we rode our luck at times but we have to finish our chances. Clare for the first one, seemed to take an age to shoot and JRS, no excuse not to hit the target from there. 

Leaburn, Lavelle and Clare standouts for us. 
  • Options
    Overall a fair result.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Should also mention AMB, who kept us in it with a couple of back-to-back, very good saves. He’s commanding in his area and the whole back line looks better for it. And he’s a hard barsterd!
    <Insert Kenneth Williams GIF here>
  • Options
    Quiet enjoyed that second half, and for me there is enough positives from it to at least not be fearful going into the next round of games.

Im sure Golfie, and others, will be here shortly to spotlight our lack of chances taken today. But I’ll keep banging the drum that it is not our forward line and it’s our defence and lack of being able to keep clean sheets that is the real issue for us.

We have scored more goals then 4th, 5th and 6th - yet we are 20th in the table for clean sheets and only 7 teams have conceded more than us.

Looked a lot more solid today. But a big improvement at the back, alongside maybe nicking a goal or 2 more and we should be alright. 
  • Options
    First through the door, for me, has to be two left backs. Sessegnon is right back. Clare just about works in a back 4 not a 5. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Decent enough 2nd half. Think we win if Clare finishes his 1 on 1. Shame we couldn't get it done in the end, but probably a fair result. Need to start winning soon.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Should also mention AMB, who kept us in it with a couple of back-to-back, very good saves. He’s commanding in his area and the whole back line looks better for it. And he’s a hard barsterd!
    <Insert Kenneth Williams GIF here>

only too happy to oblige FA...😉
  • Options
    First half was dreadful. Second largely excellent. Holden favours a hard press, which is good, and the players seem up for it. Key to it all is having two wingbacks who will bomb up and down all day, they're by far the most important players in this system and they both had great games second half. We can't carry Stockley playing like this though, he really will have to go
  • Options
    Terrible goal to give away…..let the forward go unmarked and Ness didn’t react with his back turned. AMB might have done bettter.
  • Options
    Played a longer ball game, not nearly as much passing across the back, some good performances but the kids coming through with M-B, Ness, Kanu, Leaburn and Henry are giving us some hope. 
  • Options
    ffs, i know we drew today when we should have maybe done a bit better, but don't you get pissed off with Mr Perfect Browny giving his i would have done better analysis...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Personally not been impressed by Henry but have only seen first team games hope he proves me wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ffs, i know we drew today when we should have maybe done a bit better, but don't you get pissed off with Mr Perfect Browny giving his i would have done better analysis...🤷‍♂️
    You'd think he had a successful managerial career. 
  • Options
    Glad I was there to see a fine Kanu-Leaburn goal but it was men v boys first-half. We should have won it in the second-half but Sessegnon, Clare and Rak-Sakyi all wasted gilt-edged chances. Stockley looked knackered ten minutes after coming on.  In the end we were fortunate not to lose.
  • Options
    Much better performance. Looking more like a team. In the first half P'boro looked stronger and had the better chances but we upped our game after the break. Clare and Sessegnon did well as the wing backs and Kanu made that great Leaburn goal. Shame we blew it with lousy corner defending for their goal. Oh, and Lavelle had an excellent game, which really surprised and pleased me. Promising.
  • Options
    Actually yeah, the back three all did well. EOC to come will further strengthen it. Lavelle looks transformed in the centre of a 3 when he doesn't have to do anything too proactive 
  • Options
    Innis still looks like a mistake waiting to happen…hopefully EOC back soon
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    First through the door, for me, has to be two left backs. Sessegnon is right back. Clare just about works in a back 4 not a 5. 
    We’re we watching the same game? Clare was the best player on the pitch 
    I though Clare had a very good game today.

I'd still play Sessegnon at right wing back instead of him and get an actual left back in.