Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Like what Holden was saying about playing with a purpose in the other teams half….hopefully Garnerball behind us 
    For the first half it was more a case of 'losing the ball very intently' most of the time. They're different ways of playing and they work in different ways at different times
  • Options
    Wasn't there, would have liked a win, wouldn't we all but considering how things have been of late, not a bad result.
  • Options
    Don't see how some was pleased with that performance 1-0 up & on top of the game we should have gone on & won but once again slack defending & missing sitters cost us 2 points
    Personally I am well pissed off with our game 
  • Options
    how did Kanu look?
  • Options
    Slightly more resilience I thought. Can't buy a win at present. Need to though otherwise a relegation fight is in store. Think Rak Saki is on his way back to palace and not too fussed about it. Leaburn will get better once he has regained full fitness. Transfers will be key but not to pushing for play offs sadly 
  • Options
    At least we have stopped the rot of 3 league defeats & hopefully the young lads will start to grow in confidence.  If we can get positive results in the next 2 games and get some decent recruits in, start of January, we will climb away from the bottom half of the table.   
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Southbank said:
    Fraser was the main one at fault for their goal. He gave the ball away in our half which led to their corner, something he does way too often.
    That’s the risk/reward you get with him. If it comes off, which it does more often then not, it usually releases big pressure and gets us on the front foot. 

Also as Leuth mentions it was not his fault we went to sleep defending a routine corner afterwards. 
  • Options
    Not good enough 
    Total rebuild required 
    That's it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half was a dull a ditchwater. Neither team looking very good. Thought we were lucky to go in level, but bad luck and bad decision making kept them at bay. Second half we came out looking like we had nothing to fear. Quickly got the goal we deserved and just as quickly gifted them an equaliser.  Couple of good chances to win it. I can forgive Claire's miss which was under pressure , but Rak Sakhi - how can a footballer we gets himself into such good positions,  be so wasteful in possession?
  • Options
    First half was a bit dross or  certainly not worthy of many memories. Second half ….When we have the confidence to play the ball on the ground ; or play little over the top balls we look like we are 1 player short of lots of goals  

Our goal was one of few proper decent moves. After we missed the two big chances I sad to my boy - I’d take 1-1 now and so I will 

Dobson has a good football brain imho
  • Options
    how did Kanu look?
    Apart from the movement and cross for Leaburn's goal he looked a little lost and lightweight. On coming back to defend he was brushed off the ball far too easily, which led to good chances for them. He is a work in progress, but in this league he has to be physically stronger. I have high hopes for his future and his instinct around the box, but at the moment I would probably prefer Stockley's physicality.
    Thank you. Definitely one I’d like to see with us long-term (I know) considering his record at youth level. We’re obviously having to throw youngsters earlier than we’d like. 
  • Options
    Should have won the game if we knew how to take our chances but we don’t.
    gave the ball away to much and as usual we were done by a set piece.
    a fair result in the End.
    we still need a proper striker and full Back.
    if we don’t invest in January we will do nothing.

why do we keep playing Donkey Stockley ?
    he is so bloody slow.

I thought the new manager made several good observations please god he gets the backing he will need to sort this team out ?

• Options
    Leuth said:
    ct_addick said:
    Innis still looks like a mistake waiting to happen…hopefully EOC back soon
    He also made about 3 goal-saving blocks and was aerially dominant. Very much a net positive today. EOC comes in for Ness surely.
    The Naby Sarr to Ryan Inniss arc is not one I anticipated…
    There's something about a big lumbering centre back that pierces my very heart, what can I say
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half awful, second half better, but as Charlton fans we shouldn't be lured into comparing our own performances, we need to look at what it takes to win promotion and we are a long way short of that.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The thing about changing a manager is the refrain is to give 'em more time, too early to judge, not got their own players in, not imposed their own style, badly hit by injuries and suspensions, and so on, and then another half season of crap slips through.
    I don't know Holden personally, and suspect he is probably a good bloke, but today, which was heartbreakingly crap yet again, I didn't get any sense from the players that they were doing any more than treading water, and feeling sorry for themselves. And absolutely no sense that Holden has energised them in any way, and his in game management was predictable painting by numbers, timed badly.
    Yes there are details here and there, the ref, Clare hitting the post, JRS missing an open goal (doesn't worry me at all if he returns to Opaque Hovel) were details yeah, but Peterborough United were edging the game in general and to call us average would be a compliment.
    Dreadful dreary dross.
    Getting sick of it.
  • Options
    Kanu lays the ball off well. Think he may become a decent number 10.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Slightly more resilience I thought. Can't buy a win at present. Need to though otherwise a relegation fight is in store. Think Rak Saki is on his way back to palace and not too fussed about it. Leaburn will get better once he has regained full fitness. Transfers will be key but not to pushing for play offs sadly 

Word is Saki is off to Millwall 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Two poor teams in awful form. Peterborough were in charge for the first 45mins without ever really looking like they would score. Genuinely struggled to stay awake in the first half. It was turgid.

We improved in the second half, but still looked pretty shite imo. Yes we missed 2/3 gilt edged chances, but lets not ignore the fact that Peterborough hit the bar twice and Maynard-Brewer had to make a very good double save in the first half.

We look an accident waiting to happen at the back and the amount of times the centre backs give the ball away is criminal.

Fraser had a stinker today and looked absolutely knackered. Pleased Kanu got an assist as he looked completely lost in the first half. Leaburn took his goal well,but we need to be very careful with him. He is some way short of fully fit and expecting him to be the "senior" striker, leading the line week after week is likely to break him again.

I was pissed off with the Holden appointment and have taken an immediate dislike to him. No idea why, bit of an irrational one, but in my defence he has done absolutely nothing in any other managerial role to suggest he will be any good for us.

Unless we are looking at 2/3 starting defenders and 1/2 starting strikers coming in during the January window I fear we will continue to struggle.

We again showed our soft under belly and for the period after the Peterborough goal we looked all at sea and threatened to crumble again.

I am still firmly in the "we are going to get properly sucked into a relegation battle" camp. Just don't rate 75% of this squad.

Farcical that we once again find ourselves in a position where we need a complete overhaul of the 1st team squad.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    1st half was as dull as dishwater, 2nd half much better. Great bit of skill by Kanu to set up Leaburn, then Miles showed great skill in the box but the keeper saved and Claire did everything right...except score!
    We looked more solid at the back, but we still can't defend corners!
    Overall a point was a fair result (they hit the bar twice) but we need some bodies in ASAP, namely a striker (or 2), LB and potentially a replacement for JRS if he is going back to Palace.