Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

Comments

• Options
    how did Kanu look?
    Apart from the movement and cross for Leaburn's goal he looked a little lost and lightweight. On coming back to defend he was brushed off the ball far too easily, which led to good chances for them. He is a work in progress, but in this league he has to be physically stronger. I have high hopes for his future and his instinct around the box, but at the moment I would probably prefer Stockley's physicality.
    Ran in behind a couple of times but passes were  just slightly overhit- intelligent runner plus he’s got gas which you don’t get with Stockley. I would back him to score loads more than Stockley given the same opportunities. 

You aren’t going to see him scrap  Center halves for the ball at the moment , he’s a different type of player. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The thing about changing a manager is the refrain is to give 'em more time, too early to judge, not got their own players in, not imposed their own style, badly hit by injuries and suspensions, and so on, and then another half season of crap slips through.
    I don't know Holden personally, and suspect he is probably a good bloke, but today, which was heartbreakingly crap yet again, I didn't get any sense from the players that they were doing any more than treading water, and feeling sorry for themselves. And absolutely no sense that Holden has energised them in any way, and his in game management was predictable painting by numbers, timed badly.
    Yes there are details here and there, the ref, Clare hitting the post, JRS missing an open goal (doesn't worry me at all if he returns to Opaque Hovel) were details yeah, but Peterborough United were edging the game in general and to call us average would be a compliment.
    Dreadful dreary dross.
    Getting sick of it.
    A penalty win and a draw not a bad return from his first two games as you credited him with the Brighton win 🤣 Personally I think any points garnered until the cavalry arrive are a bonus for the reasons you gave above. Need to act fast in January so as not to waste another month. I'm not even going to discuss what I think of Holden until February.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Interesting game looking at the stats. 

I only watched it sporadically as at the outlaws so won't give a rating...

Looking at Fotmob afterwards it seems it was a marginally above average game. 

• Options
    Callumcafc said:
    Didn’t get the result today but I saw enough to be upbeat about the rest of the season.

Couple of January signings needed.

COUPLE??!
    FIVE at least!

• Options
    Thought it was a cracking match. End to end 2nd half & either team could have won it so a draw was probably a fair result. 

Front 2 aren't up to it imo, although they did a lot better 2nd half and Leaburn almost repaid the favour for Kanu to score if only he had passed. Claire a bit unlucky with his effort & no blame on him as he ran half the length if the pitch...and he's not a forward. Shame the same can't be said for JRS and he spurned a chance that a proper striker would have buried. He has regressed over the months he's been here & I wouldnt be sad to see him go back to Palace ( as long as Andy Scott keeps his word & brings in replacements).

Dobson my stand out player, although the back 5 also had good games. Special mentions to Ness & AMB. 

Incomings needed are 2 strikers & some width, esp if JRS goes back. Also a proper left back would be nice.
  • Options
    Thought we looked okay today - can't expect to win if you miss those sorts of chances 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair result.  A bit more effort imo today, but then that’s the least I would expect because a), it’s their job, and b), a new manager has come in and everything is up for grabs (well, should be).

I was refreshed that Holden benched Stockley and Leaburn, despite his age, is showing Stockley up for the limited player he is.  It’s a big ask of Leaburn, but he must now be first choice above Stockley.

I was quite pleased to see Rak Saki dropped as well.  Overall, he’s been a mainstay in a team that’s just about scratched 17th after 23 games.  It might be a bit of a bold call, but him, Kirk, CBT and Mansfield are all much of a muchness for me.  If Palace recall him in Jan, it’s really no big loss.  It’s not like he’s spearheading us up the table.  

I was also pleased to see Morgan ill and JFC not even on the bench.  The squad is limited, but at least with Payne you get someone who looks like he’s trying.  I can’t see Holden being able to do much with the current squad, so any progress up the table will depend on bringing in new, better players.

The clean sheet was key for me today because it would’ve further instilled the foundation we made after Brighton.  Until we keep a clean sheet we can’t kick on 

• Options
    how did Kanu look?
    Frankly.....out of his depth. Not his fault poor lad but as someone said up thread, he needs a loan to a League 2 side.
  • Options
    I think if Dean Holden wants the ball moved quicker into the last third then not only Kirk will find their days numbered. By todays line up, it also looks likely that the manager is quite happy to go with youth rather than persist with underperforming senior players. 
  • Options
    I’d much rather play Blackett Taylor than JRS now. At least he’s ours 
    This.

And he is more direct. 

• Options
    Its glaringly obvious where the gaps in the squad in are, currently being plugged by young or inexperienced players and now that we've changed styles/formation again we are looking unbalanced in some areas, January is going to be crucial beacause without sound overly dramatic I don't see where the next win is coming from with this crop :(
  • Options
    after the first half i knew we had a manager to last well 3 months. after the match i'm thinking 2 months now. useless. 
  • Options
    Not psyched about having another back three manager. Aside from the fact good wingbacks at this level are rare enough, we didn’t have enough CBs for 4 at the back, let alone a 3. Thomas is a stopgap so at best we’ll have 3 senior CBs for 3 spots and to be honest we need to upgrade on two of those. We’d better pray there’s at least two available quality centre backs in January and that we have the funds to get them in or we are, technically speaking, shitballsed. 
  • Options
    Big learning curve for Holden in getting his head around what he’s got to work with. I wonder if he’s getting much sleep. Leaburn and Kanu won’t solve our problems up front and that’s not a criticism of either. They’re both young lads who should be getting used sparingly and to be honest in Kanu’s case not at all in league one yet. If Stockley is the answer then wtf was the question. I’d say we need two senior strikers in and have Miles coming off the bench. Defence has performed better over last two games but I don’t see any future in Inniss or Lavelle. Both not up to where we should be aspiring to be. A left back to free up Sessegnon to play right back and we desperately need a metronome in midfield. Won’t be easy for Scott to achieve that but hopefully he’ll get enough done to stave off the R word. Round and round we go every close season but always end up in the same place. If nothing changes behind the scenes, nothing will change out front either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Longest game of football I have ever watched. Maybe I was just tired post Christmas. 
  • Options
    after seeing that i would be tempted of sacking Holden. Just get it out of the way. 

(but but its his first match! give him time) na you're alright. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Odd that Kirk came on instead of CBT. I know CBT has been pretty poor last two games but I was hoping his classy penalty v Brighton, might've livened him up a bit.

There didn't seem anything to be gained by bringing Kirk on. Why not just leave Leaburn on? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Odd that Kirk came on instead of CBT. I know CBT has been pretty poor last two games but I was hoping his classy penalty v Brighton, might've livened him up a bit.

There didn't seem anything to be gained by bringing Kirk on. Why not just leave Leaburn on? 
    Yeah I couldn’t understand the change. Leaburn just coming back from a injury so he may be on doctors orders 
  • Options
    Overall, reasonably happy with that performance. Under Garner we would have gone on to lose that. Yes, we should hve won, but we could have lost. I was impressed with Ness. He didn't look out of place and made a couple of good interceptions to break down some potentially dangerous moves in the first half. I can't comment on posh goal, as I couldn't see it from my seat 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    The post match interview for some reason put me in mind of Perry (Mr Patterson Mrs Patterson) of Harry and Paul fame. It was weird watching Dean Holden stand stock still when listening to the question and then when answering doing a strange side to side rocking motion like he was on board a ship.
    Actually he probably is on board a sinking ship, but of the excuses flags he ran up the mast, today was 'time, takes time'.
    I hear you snort, but does anybody think he would've led out the 'gimmee just a little more time' excuse if we'd won?
    The only answer that would've sounded credible to me would be to say the owner has led us into this morass, this slough of despond, and he is going to get nicely paid to try to save us, but as his contract is only to the end of the season, if we're continually chite it's no skin off his nose.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    ffs, i know we drew today when we should have maybe done a bit better, but don't you get pissed off with Mr Perfect Browny giving his i would have done better analysis...🤷‍♂️
    No. 🤔
    Rhetorical question... ;)
  • Options
    Much better performance today .. especially second half when we could have scored 4 .. but again scrappy goal think AMB has to take blame for that or does closer look show Peterbro player blocking him
    off from getting the ball ? .. second half excellent work from Kanu and Leaburn who had a poor game up to them and scores . Then the chances came and went with Raki missing the easiest of the lot 
    But we looked much stronger and created good chance so a massive improvement on previous games