Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

Comments

• Options
    Clare’s poor control often creates something for him cos it outwits opponents.
    He’s one of the better ones in our crock of shitness 
    I lost a load of love for him when he went to scuff up the penalty spot at Stockport and found myself being a double standard prick by trying to justify it with frustration at how shit we are but when  Nunez or whoever does it they’re cheating scum .
  • Options
    Kanu is a goal scorer and he will score plenty either for Cafc or someone else. Pleased he started today even though he struggled to get into the game in a poor quality 1st half. He needs games and he will be a revelation. Grant was 17 and in the Championship; Kanu is 18 and ready to adapt to the mediocre League 1.
    Kanu showed his talent 2nd half with a great first touch and good cross with his weaker foot for Leaburn's goal.
    Wish the chance for Rak Sakyi had fallen to Daniel but he was off the field by then.

Bizarrely I was quite pleased Kanu had a quiet match overall because he will be gone before the end of January if he scores too many goals ( Mason Burstow)

Fraser is talented but he can be knocked off the ball and he fades big time in many games.

The inability to win games; only 5 coming up to the new year tells Thomas Sandgaard we need improvements just to get into the top half of the table.
    I wondered if 'this new lot' had put Leaburn and Kanu in the shop window today - possibly looking for the Burstow effect. 

We - the fans - know precious little of the intent and aspirations of the new regime.  
    Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

None are that good & none will ever make The Premier league. I just dont get the fawning over these 3 "strikers". For the past few years all I've read on here is "Just you wait until Burstow gets into the team, he's mustard". Then the same about Leaburn last year when Bairstow was sold. And now its Kanu's turn to be adulated & adored by the faithful. 

Sorry, just don't see it. I will admit Leaburn has the knack of popping up in the right place & getting his head (or foot) onto the ball. But I still don't see him scoring 15-20 goals a season. And to me that's the mark of a striker. I would go so far as to say 20+ goals a season, but seeing as we've only had 3 of those in the past 25 years I'll lower the bar slightly and say 15+. League goals obviously. 

Happy to eat humble pie if either of them do. 

I don't think the mark of any of our players is whether they’ll ever play in the Premiership or not. To me, it's whether they bring anything to our table at the moment and from what we've seen, all three have it in them to do so, especially Leaburn imo

• Options
    rananegra said:
    First half meh, 2nd half much better. Had either Clare's or RS' chance gone in, we would have won. Which would at least have pissed off the ref - for a change he wasn't inept in the usual incompetent way we get, he was just so one sided. And the left hand side lino was even worse than usual. I know there's a labour shortage but where do they find these clowns?
    Some nice stuff and plenty of unforced errors, Innis made some crucial blocks but it would be nice if he didn't pass to players in blue quite so often. 
    AMB immense again. 
    Was that Curbishley Stand side? thought it worked in our favour as he got ?one offside  wrong favouring Peterborough but ?2 wrong 2nd half to our advantage. He was behind the play.
  • Options
    Kanu is a goal scorer and he will score plenty either for Cafc or someone else. Pleased he started today even though he struggled to get into the game in a poor quality 1st half. He needs games and he will be a revelation. Grant was 17 and in the Championship; Kanu is 18 and ready to adapt to the mediocre League 1.
    Kanu showed his talent 2nd half with a great first touch and good cross with his weaker foot for Leaburn's goal.
    Wish the chance for Rak Sakyi had fallen to Daniel but he was off the field by then.

Bizarrely I was quite pleased Kanu had a quiet match overall because he will be gone before the end of January if he scores too many goals ( Mason Burstow)

Fraser is talented but he can be knocked off the ball and he fades big time in many games.

The inability to win games; only 5 coming up to the new year tells Thomas Sandgaard we need improvements just to get into the top half of the table.
    I wondered if 'this new lot' had put Leaburn and Kanu in the shop window today - possibly looking for the Burstow effect. 

We - the fans - know precious little of the intent and aspirations of the new regime.  
    Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

None are that good & none will ever make The Premier league. I just dont get the fawning over these 3 "strikers". For the past few years all I've read on here is "Just you wait until Burstow gets into the team, he's mustard". Then the same about Leaburn last year when Bairstow was sold. And now its Kanu's turn to be adulated & adored by the faithful. 

Sorry, just don't see it. I will admit Leaburn has the knack of popping up in the right place & getting his head (or foot) onto the ball. But I still don't see him scoring 15-20 goals a season. And to me that's the mark of a striker. I would go so far as to say 20+ goals a season, but seeing as we've only had 3 of those in the past 25 years I'll lower the bar slightly and say 15+. League goals obviously. 

I wasn't fawning. 

I just wondered if the new regime were looking for a bit of income before their rumoured assault on the market.  I doubt Charlton would turn down the sort of money raised by the Bairstow sale for any of the youngsters on our books.  Andy Scott said there'd be comings and goings and he's only got six weeks to make his mark.
    Bloody hell ...I was watching cricket
  • Options
    edited December 2022

It would be the same old story.
    What is Andy Scott's remit if it's is only 6 weeks as suggested by Steve Brown ?

He has been hired to achieve what ever is Thomas Sandgaard goal after his 5 year plan was written in the sand before the tide came in.

It can only be to 'balance the books' as most of our players are price less; meaning they have no value ! The youngsters are the only asset TS has. Thomas Sandgaard must want out because why would you want to lose millions, fly from Colorado to watch a struggling League 1 club where you are persona non grata and you have less support than Fleetwood away mid week in London.

We are a struggling League 1 club with a damaged fan base. Oohaah and Golfie are losing their natural optimism, Stockley, Payne, Clare, and Rak Sakyi are Suffering with Morganitis. We have no chance of playing Millwall next season but we could see Hollywood football with Wrexham.

Reality needs to kick in soon and the only remit is staying in this division this season because if you think this division is shite...
  • Options
    Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this. Is it just me who thinks Rak Sakyi isn't a great player. Have been getting very frustrated with him recently. Bottles out of tackles, doesn't look interested and always goes for an extra bit of skill instead of getting a shot away!

Maybe me being harsh but interested to hear people's thoughts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    was not impressed with our performance. it seemed to be the same old as same old as normal.
    The defense as chaotic as normal particularly the two seasoned defenders, and lets not mention their inability to pass the ball or clear it out of the area.
    the midfield very lack luster, Fraser so light weight gets knocked of the ball by a puff breath and is slow, Payne tries but miss judges tackles to often and does not see the best pass. Dobson seemed slow and has been taking lessons from Inniss on how to pass. The two youngsters strove hard but their inexperience showed and Kanu looks to need to add some muscle so he can shrug of defenders.

• Options
    Just caught up with the highlights and a point was a fair result but better finishing was in short quality on both sides.

I don't like singling out individuals but Rak Saks miss was appalling... To put your hand up and say pass it to me with an open goal begging was dreadful... The camera man was in more danger than the goal. I think the lad looks completely lost and if he goes onto somewhere else then good luck. We need experienced players to get us out of trouble not all the kids.

It's survival all the way now and I don't care if we play ugly... Ugly will pull us away from the bottom. I also want to give Holden a chance, let him have a few games maybe with some new players before we throw him under the bus.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Have we not already given Holden a chance?
    How long is he supposed to get, and how many of our resources is he entitled to?
    What resources?
  • Options
    Well he's unbeaten in charge, has a manager ever been sacked whilst being unbeaten?
  • Options
    Once again I am not saying Holden is anything other than a good bloke. He is to be judged on results in my view.
    Yes he is unbeaten in the league but that meant dropping two home points.
    It was a crap result.
    We have had plenty of managers capable of getting crap results, how many ought we to put up with before the giving of Holden a chance is all over?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Once again I am not saying Holden is anything other than a good bloke. He is to be judged on results in my view.
    It was a crap result.
    We have had plenty of managers capable of getting crap results, how many ought we to put up with before the giving of Holden a chance is all over?
    Well he deserves January and then probably February once we have (hopefully) strengthened the squad. If he's not getting results with a better squad then early March is probably the time to get rid. 
  • Options

Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

Golfie, very harsh on Leaburn in my opinion. On the basis he's only broken in to the team this year and his strength, touch, pace, ability with feet and head, I'd be surprised if he never plays in the Prem. Totally with you on Burstow and yet to see enough from Kanu to give me the same confidence, but had Leaburn been played all year he'd be well on track to that target. Also he would complement just about any strike partner, you could play him alongside a big guy or a little guy. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    It was a crap result.
    Well he deserves January and then probably February once we have (hopefully) strengthened the squad. If he's not getting results with a better squad then early March is probably the time to get rid. 
    This is a good answer, and a starting point for discussion.
    Personally I don’t feel good about him overseeing squad ‘strengthening’ if it is in the context of bad results, he may say the players he wants but what if the results stay crap?
    Then he would’ve spent the money for no good outcome.
    Perhaps give him until the 11th of January as a compromise to see if he is any good.
    Others will reasonably say that is too short a time, but I am so sick of things my patience with this endless stream of managers is at an end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    It was a crap result.
    Personally I don’t feel good about him overseeing squad ‘strengthening’ if it is in the context of bad results, he may say the players he wants but what if the results stay crap?
    Perhaps give him until the 11th of January as a compromise to see if he is any good.
    Others will reasonably say that is too short a time, but I am so sick of things my patience with this endless stream of managers is at an end.
    So your solution to an endless stream of managers is to sack the latest one after 4 weeks...
    One solution I have previously mentioned is to auction the managerial position to supporters one game at a time.
    It might raise money, and would the results be much worse?
    You would need a history of loyalty points to participate in the auction.
    If Holden delivers three points at Oxford and Portsmouth I would be happy to see my suggestion put on hold.
    If I were successful in the type of auction I have suggested I guarantee my pre and post match press conferences would be very different to the usual predictable rubbish.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    It was a crap result.
    So your solution to an endless stream of managers is to sack the latest one after 4 weeks...
    One solution I have previously mentioned is to auction the managerial position to supporters one game at a time.
    It might raise money, and would the results be much worse?
    You would need a history of loyalty points to participate in the auction.
    If Holden delivers three points at Oxford and Portsmouth I would be happy to see my suggestion put on hold.
    If I were successful in the type of auction I have suggested I guarantee my pre and post match press conferences would be very different to the usual predictable rubbish.
    You feeling alright mate?
    No I am not.
    Is that relevant?
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    First through the door, for me, has to be two left backs. Sessegnon is right back. Clare just about works in a back 4 not a 5. 
    We’re we watching the same game? Clare was the best player on the pitch 
    I though Clare had a very good game today.

I'd still play Sessegnon at right wing back instead of him and get an actual left back in. 
    Clare has to have a place in the team with the current squad. Accurate passing, good tackles, slightly more pace than average in this division, and uses that to go past players, and he has a shot in him. Negatives- suspect temperament at times, tetchy fouls.
    I agree that Clare deserved the MoM , he is a wholehearted player. My only and quite big criticism is his delivery nto the box, when in good positions, he inveriably overhits his cross, beyond any attacking Charlton forward. If he can iron out this flaw, he will be a top player.
  • Options
    As a right wing back Clare's athleticism is a major asset. His end product wasn't brilliant, but wasn't horrendous either.

I was confused by the signing of Sessegnon last summer, and still can't understand why we brought him in as our only left back or left wing back, when he's clearly much better on his right foot. A proper left footed left wing back would have given us so much more potency down that side yesterday.

Sessegnon to me is a major step backwards when compared to DaSilva or Maatsen, our two previous loan LBs.
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    First through the door, for me, has to be two left backs. Sessegnon is right back. Clare just about works in a back 4 not a 5. 
    We’re we watching the same game? Clare was the best player on the pitch 
    I though Clare had a very good game today.

I'd still play Sessegnon at right wing back instead of him and get an actual left back in. 
    Clare has to have a place in the team with the current squad. Accurate passing, good tackles, slightly more pace than average in this division, and uses that to go past players, and he has a shot in him. Negatives- suspect temperament at times, tetchy fouls.
    I agree that Clare deserved the MoM , he is a wholehearted player. My only and quite big criticism is his delivery nto the box, when in good positions, he inveriably overhits his cross, beyond any attacking Charlton forward. If he can iron out this flaw, he will be a top player.
    And wouldn't be playing in League 1.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:

Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

Golfie, very harsh on Leaburn in my opinion. On the basis he's only broken in to the team this year and his strength, touch, pace, ability with feet and head, I'd be surprised if he never plays in the Prem. Totally with you on Burstow and yet to see enough from Kanu to give me the same confidence, but had Leaburn been played all year he'd be well on track to that target. Also he would complement just about any strike partner, you could play him alongside a big guy or a little guy. 
    I'll give a tenner to the upbeats the day he starts a Premier League match.