Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Peterborough | Boxing Day 2022

Comments

• Options
    Bad misses and bad crossing by both Clare and JRS. We will not win missing great chances like that. You just knew as soon as Clare missed that great chance that we weren't going to win. If that bad gone in, it would have been game over. Disappointing.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Mind boggling that Clare is getting singled out for criticism, amongst that shower of shit. And yes, he does make mistakes, but at least he looks like a footballer when in possession. 
    When he's up for it, he's got championship potential, when he's not though... L1 feels his ceiling.
  • Options
    This can’t be right, we have a manager who isn’t blaming the referee in his post-match comments. 
  • Options
    Post match ref chat was starting to get out of hand.
  • Options
    Pretty weird that people are already having a go at the new manager. Crazy in fact, one game in. 
    Fraser really annoyed me today for claiming soft fouls while lying on the ground after being tackled. Get up and track back ffs. 
    Other than that we should have come away with three points but for awful misses from Clare (who at least made a lung busting run to create his chance), and Rak-Sakyi (who didn’t).
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Gribbo said:
    Mind boggling that Clare is getting singled out for criticism, amongst that shower of shit. And yes, he does make mistakes, but at least he looks like a footballer when in possession. 
    When he's up for it, he's got championship potential, when he's not though... L1 feels his ceiling.
    That assessment makes him more than good enough for this team. 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Gribbo said:

Nobody singling him out for shit. Just suggesting, at the earliest opportunity, stop playing our very talented right  wingback on the left and instead get in a left wingback (or two) 

I like Clare and rate him, even enjoyed some swashbuckling moments today, but if you think he's a right wing back I'd politely disagree 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kanu is a goal scorer and he will score plenty either for Cafc or someone else. Pleased he started today even though he struggled to get into the game in a poor quality 1st half. He needs games and he will be a revelation. Grant was 17 and in the Championship; Kanu is 18 and ready to adapt to the mediocre League 1.
    Kanu showed his talent 2nd half with a great first touch and good cross with his weaker foot for Leaburn's goal.
    Wish the chance for Rak Sakyi had fallen to Daniel but he was off the field by then.

Bizarrely I was quite pleased Kanu had a quiet match overall because he will be gone before the end of January if he scores too many goals ( Mason Burstow)

Fraser is talented but he can be knocked off the ball and he fades big time in many games.

The inability to win games; only 5 coming up to the new year tells Thomas Sandgaard we need improvements just to get into the top half of the table.
    I wondered if 'this new lot' had put Leaburn and Kanu in the shop window today - possibly looking for the Burstow effect. 

We - the fans - know precious little of the intent and aspirations of the new regime.  
  • Options
    Who is our very talented right wing back? Not a dig, just baffled who you mean 
  • Options
    Must be a bit of a piss when you score a beautiful goal and it doesn't win the game. Happened to me during school championship 1978
  • Options
    A point is ok - staying up is the only target this year - 
  • Options
    I think AMB is getting away with it a bit. He’s been decent, he’s certainly better than Mac but that was poor goalkeeping for the goal. 
  • Options
    Blimey!
    Northern monkey in 300mph gibbering episode.
    Was he actually intimidated by Terry Smith?
    They say appearances can be deceptive. Thank Christ for that.
    Maybe we'll get the self-assured, measured, charismatic version next time, or maybe the football will do the talking.
  • Options
    The game? As half expected it was a case of "after the Lord Mayor's Show".
    The first half was error strewn and mediocre.
    Second half we were better, but without ever being convincing and we were criminally wasteful in front of goal.
    Our one goal was a moment of rare quality.
    Kanu, who for the most part looked like a child in a mans game, did brilliantly to get by his man and deliver a perfect cross in and Leaburn made it his.
    I sort of get throwing in the youngters, given that Stockley has completely lost whatever it was he had and Chuks is mortally wounded again.
    Miles is further forward in his development, but he would benefit from some real quality and experience alongside him. A Lyle Taylor type.
    Other than that, I'm fully on board with the post-Garner pragmatic approach  and thankfully the painful, compulsory  play-it-out-from-the-back philosophy is now a thing of the past.
    Hayes 1 Holden 0.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2022
    CAFCsayer said:
    JonT_Abs said:
    First through the door, for me, has to be two left backs. Sessegnon is right back. Clare just about works in a back 4 not a 5. 
    We’re we watching the same game? Clare was the best player on the pitch 

I didn't watch the game that closely but what I saw was a player who ran well, beat players and then played one shit cross after another.  Pointless getting in the positions if your distribution is so poor it always comes to nothing.  He also had a one on one where he missed without making the keeper make a save.  

I don't rate him, won't be bothered when he leaves (as us the same with almost every other player sadly).
    I’ll join in that club.

He’s perhaps the most frustrating player at the club because his talent is clear - as others have said, he’s one that actually looks like a proper footballer when in full flow.

But unfortunately he rarely capitalises on the openings he creates going forward, meanwhile being prone to bone headed passes, errors and costly fouls in defensive areas.

He seems like a great lad but I don’t think he’s a starter in a team that wants promotion out of this league. Looking forward to seeing Egbo’s return.
  • Options
    Kanu is a goal scorer and he will score plenty either for Cafc or someone else. Pleased he started today even though he struggled to get into the game in a poor quality 1st half. He needs games and he will be a revelation. Grant was 17 and in the Championship; Kanu is 18 and ready to adapt to the mediocre League 1.
    Kanu showed his talent 2nd half with a great first touch and good cross with his weaker foot for Leaburn's goal.
    Wish the chance for Rak Sakyi had fallen to Daniel but he was off the field by then.

Bizarrely I was quite pleased Kanu had a quiet match overall because he will be gone before the end of January if he scores too many goals ( Mason Burstow)

Fraser is talented but he can be knocked off the ball and he fades big time in many games.

The inability to win games; only 5 coming up to the new year tells Thomas Sandgaard we need improvements just to get into the top half of the table.
    I wondered if 'this new lot' had put Leaburn and Kanu in the shop window today - possibly looking for the Burstow effect. 

We - the fans - know precious little of the intent and aspirations of the new regime.  
    Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

None are that good & none will ever make The Premier league. I just dont get the fawning over these 3 "strikers". For the past few years all I've read on here is "Just you wait until Burstow gets into the team, he's mustard". Then the same about Leaburn last year when Bairstow was sold. And now its Kanu's turn to be adulated & adored by the faithful. 

Sorry, just don't see it. I will admit Leaburn has the knack of popping up in the right place & getting his head (or foot) onto the ball. But I still don't see him scoring 15-20 goals a season. And to me that's the mark of a striker. I would go so far as to say 20+ goals a season, but seeing as we've only had 3 of those in the past 25 years I'll lower the bar slightly and say 15+. League goals obviously. 

Happy to eat humble pie if either of them do. 
    I wasn't fawning. 

I just wondered if the new regime were looking for a bit of income before their rumoured assault on the market.  I doubt Charlton would turn down the sort of money raised by the Bairstow sale for any of the youngsters on our books.  Andy Scott said there'd be comings and goings and he's only got six weeks to make his mark.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    I'm loving Maynard-Brewer.
    There's one kid that has come in and shown no signs of nervousness, inexperience, indecisiveness, poor judgement or anything you might expect from a youngster.
    He has an aura of calmness and understated self-belief.
    Woolly will struggle to depose him I think and Gilly, sorry you're toast
    Whilst I'm also pleased with how he's performing, he's 23. Others of our kids who are younger are not referred to as kids and are berated for being in and around the squad for the last few years...

Maturity comes not just with the experience of playing, but with age.

I feel sorry for our young pros that have been stuck at our club that has been the most fucked up football club in the English football league for the past 11 years.

It's not surprising that those that have been out on loan have been better adaptable to slotting in than those stuck here throughout that time.

On Wollacott, I'd say he had been good up to the injury, I think MacG will struggle to find a place with these two ahead of him.

• Options

Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

None are that good & none will ever make The Premier league. I just dont get the fawning over these 3 "strikers". For the past few years all I've read on here is "Just you wait until Burstow gets into the team, he's mustard". Then the same about Leaburn last year when Bairstow was sold. And now its Kanu's turn to be adulated & adored by the faithful. 

Sorry, just don't see it. I will admit Leaburn has the knack of popping up in the right place & getting his head (or foot) onto the ball. But I still don't see him scoring 15-20 goals a season. And to me that's the mark of a striker. I would go so far as to say 20+ goals a season, but seeing as we've only had 3 of those in the past 25 years I'll lower the bar slightly and say 15+. League goals obviously. 

Couldn’t disagree with you more re: Leaburn. He’s deceptively quick, skilful, strong, has a good temperament and can score goals. I will be surprised, injury apart, if he doesn’t make the PL, just hopefully not too soon. Kanu is promising but needs more time before we can assess his level for sure. Burstow I’ve never been impressed by.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Burstow, Leaburn & Kanu. 

Easy to write players off when they're stuck in the circus that is CAFC with the most inconsistent group of senior pros to ever play for the club. 

The only thing these boys peers are consistent at, is being inconsistent.

How many strikers in each league score 20+ a season?! Very few break 15. 
  • Options
    You can’t beat a Boxing Day home game on a cold afternoon at the Valley. 

Needed that second goal to seal the 3 points but was a lot better than recent home league games. 

Shame Leaburn went off after turning his ankle on the touch line. Hopefully nothing too serious as that boy is a joy to watch and such a threat for opposing teams