Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Derby County V Charlton Athletic: Saturday 18th February 2023: KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    Being a pessimist I can't yet think that we're out of trouble just yet with the next 3 games against the top two and Peterborough who are now scoring goals for fun.

We truly miss Leaburn and hope he's back soon because we need to beat the likes of the mighty Accrington, Morecombe and Cambridge afterwards just to sneak over the line. Yes it's depressing but where's the fight and aggression? Very few are playing for the shirt and that's why so many of us have had enough... Well until next Saturday that is! 

• Options
    edited February 2023
    se9addick said:
    That’s another example, after Bolton a couple of weeks ago, of how far we are from being competitive in this league. 
    Which will be even more highlighted when we play the League leaders next week. 

Tough 3 games coming up. Don't think we will be dragged into a relegation scrap but will soon be in the bottom half looking at the likes of Port Vale above us. 

Cant wait for the season to end & for the summer rebuild to start  😆😆😆😆
    But that’s just it, Bolton are fourth and Derby fifth. Neither of them are tearing up the league or on course for 100+ points. They’re simply the standard you need to be at just to be in with a shout and we are so far off. 

The last time we went up it was via the playoffs, so again we weren’t a team that smashed the league. That team would beat our current team 5-0.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Holden got the smaller squad he apparently wanted, and this week we've seen players look badly off the pace and out of ideas while Holden has been reluctant to rotate. 

We went from a team with possession but little to show for it to a team who struggles to string three passes together.

We were bad today. And Derby were able to capitalize without really getting out of 2nd gear. You can't turn up flat against a Paul Warne side. They are going to press you and out work you and generally make your life difficult. You have to be resilient and focused and stick to your game plan. We weren't really any of those things.

Not a lot to play for at this point. A lot of it is trying to build confidence, experience, and a style of playing into this squad.

Hopefully we start to see a shift away from the players who will leave in the summer. Obviously JRS has to stay in the side, even though he looks knackered. He's just capable of that moment of magic. I think Sess, Kane, Kilkenny, and Hector are all worth trying to get to stay longer, at least at this point.  I believe Albie it also out of contract and as always, I have no idea what to do with him. Moments of quality but I still don't know how best to fit him into a team.

Inniss is out of contract and while he seems like a lovely bloke, it's time for him to move on. Bringing in Bonne was a low risk, high reward signing. The reward hasn't been good, and hopefully starting next weekend Miles starts and Bonne is relegated to being a sub (which he's better suited to anyway). Penney is basically here until another FB is fit to keep Sess from doing long term damage to his knee. Just a body at this point. I believe Clare is out of contract as well, though we might have an option in him. I truly don't know what to do with him. I expected a lot more from him at RB, but he's so hit and cold and always has a mistake in him. His athleticism and versatility make him a handy squad piece, but right now you don't want him starting every week, and he may be better in a side based on athleticism and not possession (a Paul Warne side, for instance) where his struggles on the ball and positionally are less noticed. 
  • Options
    I forecast a respectable defeat, and that's what happened.

Until the Bolton game I had some optimism that we could at least challenge for the playoffs, but that game showed that the top 6 or 7 are simply better than us. Better squads, better 1st team and better team play, and today was no different. 

We're good enough to beat enough of the smaller teams to stay midtable, but are way off where we need to be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I fear the worst for the next run of games.

Tommy if you read this, mate you are out of your depth, you tried, it aint worked out.
    Do us a favour sell the club, and find some ice hockey team to pander to your ego.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Don’t think you can say there a massive difference between the two sides .. I think it’s pretty clear we can’t and don’t have the players to play 433 ..we just don’t have the quality on the flanks to create the chances .. most of Derbys best moments come from us losing the ball time and time again ….midfield totally out outplayed today there also seem to be 3 derby players to one of ours , Holden should have changed it at ht . Again I ask the question what did we create ? one chance by Bonne for Raki ?? Not good enough from the wide areas and central mid .
     Now we seen Hector think we can go 3 at the back pushing Clare up as wing back .. make us stronger in midfield . CBT and Raki would not play them next week try something different . 
    Bonne done well today did not deserve to come off .. MOM Clare he was excellent again 

I’m a bystander and have posted once. However, I’ve learned that best practice is to ignore people like him. He obviously gets a cheap thrill at posting and then waiting for responses whilst sitting in his pants at his PC. It’s a pretty sad hobby really. 
  • Options
    I also found the basic ability among our team startling bad. Passes that were horribly inaccurate, decision making that were truly embarrassing to witness. CBT looked as if he'd be better off doing the crossbar challenge than playing a league 1 match. Ffs, Gleeteood's passing was do much better than ours. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I forecast a respectable defeat, and that's what happened.

Until the Bolton game I had some optimism that we could at least challenge for the playoffs, but that game showed that the top 6 or 7 are simply better than us. Better squads, better 1st team and better team play, and today was no different. 

We're good enough to beat enough of the smaller teams to stay midtable, but are way off where we need to be.
    That was respectable?! We didn't get within 25 yards of their goal ffs 
    Respectable in terms of the scoreline - 2-0 - rather than a hammering.
  • Options
    Thev gulf in class between us and top teams is vast.
    We were never in the game let's hope we canfind 5 more wins.
  • Options
    None  of our players would make the Derby first eleven … we are woeful .. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Thev gulf in class between us and top teams is vast.
    We were never in the game let's hope we canfind 5 more wins.
    There’s no chance we’ll need 55 points to stay up. Five wins would still be nice!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    That was depressing. But what was worst was that Derby fucking fill their stadium. The tannoy announced an attendance number slightly higher than The Valley's capacity. Derby have been shit for ages and have had their own ownership nonsense and they fucking fill their stadium. What do we do? 
    Rubbish!

They got relegated from The Premier League one year after us but then bathed in the warmth of The Championship for 14 years.
    We've been stuck in the shit for 16 years with the exception of a respite for 4 years under SCP and a brief moment of excitement under SLB.
  • Options
    Sky Sports "highlights" here: https://www.skysports.com/football/derby-county-vs-charlton-athletic/report/469317
    Another ref might not have given the penalty.  Arm looked to be by his side and not in an un-natural position.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    2 pages on the post match thread sums it up…no one cares any more this season 
    Sorry, but I care, I take each game as a one off, which I do care about winning, the season is done now, but a season is 46 games, so whilst playoffs and relegation (hopefully) are non entities, I care about Charlton Athletic, just wish they cared half as much...
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    2 pages on the post match thread sums it up…no one cares any more this season 
    Sorry, but I care, I take each game as a one off, which I do care about winning, the season is done now, but a season is 46 games, so whilst playoffs and relegation (hopefully) are non entities, I care about Charlton Athletic, just wish they cared half as much...
    I think we all know what ct_addick is getting at. I can honestly say when Derby scored the pen I felt absolutely nothing. Feel for the fans that went up and hope they had a good day out. As that is all it is now til the end of the season days out. But we go again next season and I'm sure come Feb without investment we will be in the same situation.