Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Derby County V Charlton Athletic: Saturday 18th February 2023: KO 3.00 Pm

123457»

Comments

• Options
    I watched it on the stream. It’s very plain to see the problems with the team and club in general  and to be honest with ourselves we all know it. Even during our recent games that we have won the problems are were glaringly obvious. 
    We are treading water in this league getting the occasional result. Next season, (the bloody obvious), will definitely be a lot worse if there isn’t significant changes on all fronts. 

• Options
    Wellred said:
    It’s got to the point where I don’t even think promotion should be the target for next season, let alone this one. We just need a sensible ownership that is willing and able to get this club’s momentum going in the right direction again.

In football, a lot can change very quickly. But not for Charlton. I’m forecasting at least another two years in this god awful league unfortunately.
    We should look to get out of this league ASAP 
    Another two years in this league would kill us off 
    No doubt we will be out of this league in 2 years......by being relegated to league 2.

Unless a new owner comes in with serious intentions to rebuild the squad by spending some money then I have no doubt we will be worse next season & the season after. If we didnt have JRS we'd be in the bottom 6 by now.  
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    We ended the summer with an unbalanced squad and whilst we have fixed some of that, we are still having difficulties in terms of the system and what we have. We do have some decent players but I think we lack different goal threats in us. Shots, set pieces etc... Basically our main threat is our wide players and if you stop them, you go a long way towards stopping us. I'd like us to stick with Holden as that is going to be the cheapest way to address it as he will have an understanding as to what we have now and what we need rather than start from scratch again. Understanding the players we currently have to build a new squad around is crucial. 
  • Options
    People slagging Bonne off are doing it for the sake of it. He won majority of headers and worked with little to no support. Aneke is a different beast but what he do...nothing.

Wanna point the finger? Have a look at the "Scottish pirlo" couldn't defend, couldn't attack..couldn't even pass water. 

Derby in the play off is a joke. We didn't deserve to win or even draw but you can't tell me Derby are a good team. 

We are mid table for sure but think Holden is the man to take us forward but he needs backing.

Playing Bonne on his own up front isn't working so why not take him off & play Aneke up front on his own ......... or how about (& somebody may have already suggested this because I'm a day behind) & I may be talking out of turn here, bring Aneke on to partner Bonne & give their central defenders something to defend against ?
    We actually did that against Fleetwood
  • Options
    We ended the summer with an unbalanced squad and whilst we have fixed some of that, we are still having difficulties in terms of the system and what we have. We do have some decent players but I think we lack different goal threats in us. Shots, set pieces etc... Basically our main threat is our wide players and if you stop them, you go a long way towards stopping us. I'd like us to stick with Holden as that is going to be the cheapest way to address it as he will have an understanding as to what we have now and what we need rather than start from scratch again. Understanding the players we currently have to build a new squad around is crucial. 
    That's it got to give him chance to build the team that can play his way we have had far to many managers over the last couple of years & despite having some good players we seem to end up making the same mistakes over & over 
    It's not always about how much you spend it's how you spend it & getting a team that play with togetherness fight & the will to win which I feel we have definitely lacked 
  • Options
    We have an attacking move going forward which we used again and again at Derby and it's driving me nuts. We intercept an oppostion pass in our half and quickly put the ball out to the left wing. Whoever collects beats the first oppostion player opening up the chance to run at the defence or pass to a Charlton forward breaking up front. At this point, the player on the ball takes a couple more unnecessary passes. At this point, the wingers in front have had to stop and check back because they have run offside, so they have no momentum and have been marked. The backtracking opposition players are back in the centre so our midfield are marked as well, so the ball goes back to the defenders who quickly get closed down and either pass back to the goalie who thumps it forward, or give it the big one themselves, usually into an area where Charlton players are not congregated. The oppostion (Derby on this occasion) mop up the loose ball and attack us again. We've been doing it to a greater or lesser extent all season, and our run under Holden seemed to begin when we changed the dynamic and the guy with the ball put the ball forward quickly for CBT or Rak-Sakyi to run onto.Both those players have pace to cause problems so the lack of confidence putting the ball forward to them is annoying to begin with and worse as the opposition actually cause us more problems than we do to them when we hit them on the break.
    CBT was awful saturday. There was a comment from someone in the studio after the game which seemed to suggest that Derby let him have time on the ball as they knew he would over think and trip over his own feet, which was what kept happening. I'll happy accept Derby are currently where we hoped we would be last july, and light years from where we actually are, but some of the stuff on saturday was Keystone Cops football.
  • Options
    If you were building a promotion challenging team for next season , how many of the current crop would be in the squad ? Dobson and Ness perhaps , we are miles away , the club is on a downward spiral.
    If your looking at a team to challenge for the title none of our out field players would get in the team.

If your looking at a team that's going to challenge for a play off place your probably looking at 4 or 5.

In terms of squad I would say a lot of them are good enough squad players so about 8 to 10 in the first scenario 12ish in the second.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    beating weds on Saturday would be a very Charlton thing to do. I actually think after Saturday I wont be at many more matches this season just cba. 

I think I'm not alone in that thought as well. 

bristol rovers away i really wanted to do but the lads I go with after Saturday just cant be bothered to pay out 100/150 quid for a gutless performance and a general poor day on the football front. 

i agree with others we are pretty far away from being able to challenge for promotion with this side. 

and the 3 teams that come down will be automatically a lot stronger than us. 

currently its 

hudds
    blackpool
    wigan 

but can see all 3 of them getting out of it. 

would say it will be 3 from the following 

hudds
    blackpool
    wigan 
    rotherham
    cardiff
    stoke
    brum
    qpr

the only plus of next season is barring a car crash end to the season we will have a london away game in the shape of leyton orient, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    People slagging Bonne off are doing it for the sake of it. He won majority of headers and worked with little to no support. Aneke is a different beast but what he do...nothing.

Wanna point the finger? Have a look at the "Scottish pirlo" couldn't defend, couldn't attack..couldn't even pass water. 

Derby in the play off is a joke. We didn't deserve to win or even draw but you can't tell me Derby are a good team. 

We are mid table for sure but think Holden is the man to take us forward but he needs backing.
    The only headers he won were the ones that hit him in the head accidently. 
  • Options
    Cambridge rail strike means this is last game I'll watch this season. Roll on August...

In summary, from what I've seen this season:

Dobson player of the season and I've been impressed by Ness (bit to work on though) and AMB.

Fraser has started to show a bit more lately and with better players around him, could be a big asset.

Jes will be a Prem player one day. Pretty raw but there's enough there to suggest he'll make it.

Leaburn has promise but has a lot of developing to do. Charlton is a sensible place for him to learn. I'd like to see Kanu given a run in the team to build up his experience. No pressure now.

Rest of the squad are at best mediocre and not really worth commenting on.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
     Making_all_the_noise said:
    Cambridge rail strike means this is last game I'll watch this season. Roll on August...

Dobson player of the season and I've been impressed by Ness (bit to work on though) and AMB.

Fraser has started to show a bit more lately and with better players around him, could be a big asset.

Jes will be a Prem player one day. Pretty raw but there's enough there to suggest he'll make it.

Leaburn has promise but has a lot of developing to do. Charlton is a sensible place for him to learn. I'd like to see Kanu given a run in the team to build up his experience. No pressure now.

pretty much agree with this .. Egbo could develop into a decent defender, unless he's another all too often sideline crock .. Maynard-Brewer also is coming on nicely, be better when he loses the Lone Ranger mask .. Campbell is another who shows promise .. they all need game time though
  • Options
    one/two whinges about our away fans ..  nowadays I guess more spend the entire game standing rather than sitting, stewards are loath to do any thing about this, and who can really blame them .. my friends and I moved to pretty near the front, (took 3 attempts to fin d somewhere reasonable)but even there some dickhead behind me, waving his arms around like a windmill on  steroids managed to knock my glasses off, luckily they were intact after hitting the concrete .. last whinge .. a middle aged geezer standing a couple of rows behind me had the worst (or most impressive) case of Tourette syndrome I have come across for a long time, a steady stream of cs, ws fs, and other assorted cursing, was kept up for the entire first half .. luckily he and the windmill found other places to bother for the 2nd half .. 

there really needs to be more seating choices .. if you want to stand for the full 90 fine, but allow me to sit in comfort well away from your pitch view blocking antics
    He was just reading out our teamsheet...
  • Options
     Making_all_the_noise said:

pretty much agree with this .. Egbo could develop into a decent defender, unless he's another all too often sideline crock .. Maynard-Brewer also is coming on nicely, be better when he loses the Lone Ranger mask .. Campbell is another who shows promise .. they all need game time though
    Egbo already is a decent defender.