Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Derby County V Charlton Athletic: Saturday 18th February 2023: KO 3.00 Pm

Comments

• Options
    Don’t think you can say there a massive difference between the two sides .. I think it’s pretty clear we can’t and don’t have the players to play 433 ..we just don’t have the quality on the flanks to create the chances .. most of Derbys best moments come from us losing the ball time and time again ….midfield totally out outplayed today there also seem to be 3 derby players to one of ours , Holden should have changed it at ht . Again I ask the question what did we create ? one chance by Bonne for Raki ?? Not good enough from the wide areas and central mid .
     Now we seen Hector think we can go 3 at the back pushing Clare up as wing back .. make us stronger in midfield . CBT and Raki would not play them next week try something different . 
    Bonne done well today did not deserve to come off .. MOM Clare he was excellent again 

This constant wummery was never amusing but is now beyond a joke. It is difficult enough to maintain an interest at the moment without having to read this constant formulaic drivel every other thread. 

You don't have to read it. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Someone tell me Albie Morgan has a contract where he is guaranteed a start every 3 or 4 games. It must be the case, I just can’t for life of me see how so many managers keep giving him starts. 
    It's not the starting I don't understand, it's never the case the other bloke has been playing well.

It's the being totally frozen out for weeks, or even months at a time, some times not even making the bench, then suddenly starting again.

Bowyer did it, Jackson did it, Garner did it, Holden's done it.  Adkins never really had enough players, or long enough, to do it.
    Probably because our midfield has been shite for so long that a player not involved for a while seems an attractive option. Like people calling for Gilbey to return. Gilbey ffs. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Someone tell me Albie Morgan has a contract where he is guaranteed a start every 3 or 4 games. It must be the case, I just can’t for life of me see how so many managers keep giving him starts. 
    It's not the starting I don't understand, it's never the case the other bloke has been playing well.

It's the being totally frozen out for weeks, or even months at a time, some times not even making the bench, then suddenly starting again.

Bowyer did it, Jackson did it, Garner did it, Holden's done it.  Adkins never really had enough players, or long enough, to do it.
    Probably because our midfield has been shite for so long that a player not involved for a while seems an attractive option. Like people calling for Gilbey to return. Gilbey ffs. 
    I get that but there is a difference between fans saying it and the actual manager doing it.  4 managers actually doing it. 
  • Options
    On a plus, from the platform at Derby to leaving Sidcup station in under 2hrs 20 mins was a right result
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Don’t think you can say there a massive difference between the two sides .. I think it’s pretty clear we can’t and don’t have the players to play 433 ..we just don’t have the quality on the flanks to create the chances .. most of Derbys best moments come from us losing the ball time and time again ….midfield totally out outplayed today there also seem to be 3 derby players to one of ours , Holden should have changed it at ht . Again I ask the question what did we create ? one chance by Bonne for Raki ?? Not good enough from the wide areas and central mid .
     Now we seen Hector think we can go 3 at the back pushing Clare up as wing back .. make us stronger in midfield . CBT and Raki would not play them next week try something different . 
    Bonne done well today did not deserve to come off .. MOM Clare he was excellent again 

This constant wummery was never amusing but is now beyond a joke. It is difficult enough to maintain an interest at the moment without having to read this constant formulaic drivel every other thread. 

You can’t avoid it
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I get that but there is a difference between fans saying it and the actual manager doing it.  4 managers actually doing it. 
    Yeah it is a bit odd. He's never really had a proper loan has he? So he's always just kind of there, as an option. Must have decent spells in training. 
  • Options
    On reflection, a pretty sobering experience yesterday. Derby are a ‘proper’ club; decent stadium, great fan numbers and vocal support, players busting a gut to win the 50/50s, even the additional minutes and the substitutions were brought to you in association of different sponsors.

It brought home yesterday we are an absolute world away from your Derby’s having spent a couple of decades on a par. 

Holden said after the game Derby went into this absolutely flying at the moment. They’d lost and drawn their two games before this, Yet they knew if they went at us with a fast pace they could get at us. Any team with the mentality to go out and fight and graft for the points look like they’re going to get them against us as we are powderpuff, make a huge amount of individual mistakes when pressurised and leave gaping holes.

No one is smashing us, it’s all fairly marginal, but I fear we’re in for a depressing run in when playing teams still with something to play for. 
    At at the end of the day we lost to two goals, one a handball in the box and other off a free kick from what was a perfectly clean tackle. 

Dobson probably the only player to emerge with any real credit yesterday and that’s not a one off when we put out a weak offerIng. How we get this bunch scoring goals I’m not sure but it won’t happen with 1 up top using any of them. We’ve got to find a way of utilising two up front.

If we do play three up top, they have to contribute. I don't agree with Holden's opinion that we never got the ball to those players, I lost count of the amount of times Blackett Taylor received the ball and then a poor touch or pass put us back on the defensive. If you look at the cross for the first goal Sess is overmanned and they get the cross in, that's exactly the same scenario with the Exeter goal but that time it was Penney who was trying to mark two players. Our goals against column show's that we concede very easily and where I will agree with Holden is that we don't do the basics well and that's there for all to see.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On reflection, a pretty sobering experience yesterday. Derby are a ‘proper’ club; decent stadium, great fan numbers and vocal support, players busting a gut to win the 50/50s, even the additional minutes and the substitutions were brought to you in association of different sponsors.

It brought home yesterday we are an absolute world away from your Derby’s having spent a couple of decades on a par. 

Holden said after the game Derby went into this absolutely flying at the moment. They’d lost and drawn their two games before this, Yet they knew if they went at us with a fast pace they could get at us. Any team with the mentality to go out and fight and graft for the points look like they’re going to get them against us as we are powderpuff, make a huge amount of individual mistakes when pressurised and leave gaping holes.

No one is smashing us, it’s all fairly marginal, but I fear we’re in for a depressing run in when playing teams still with something to play for. 
    At at the end of the day we lost to two goals, one a handball in the box and other off a free kick from what was a perfectly clean tackle. 

Dobson probably the only player to emerge with any real credit yesterday and that’s not a one off when we put out a weak offerIng. How we get this bunch scoring goals I’m not sure but it won’t happen with 1 up top using any of them. We’ve got to find a way of utilising two up front.

We touched on this in the match thread.

How do you do that without making something else a massive issue?

Either write down you 5 or 6 best outfield players (if you can even get to 5) put them in their best positions then work out the formation or pick a formation and try and squeeze as many on your better (I use that term loosely) players as you can in it.  Either way you end up with square pegs in round holes or players that simple aren't good enough.

One solution suggested yesterday was take off CBT for Aneke and move JRS into midfield and go 442.  You mute the attacking threat of JRS, you shove a center midfielder on to the other wing and your already getting over run with 3 center mids, how would 2 cope?

The only solution I can see is playing 433 with 2 center fowards and JRS in a free role where he can go wing to wing and into the pocket looking for the ball.  But you can't do that because Bonne is the only center foward we currently have that can play an hour every game.

It's the Leaburn "injury" and lack of suitable replacement that is causing the issue, not the formation IMO. 

• Options
    Genuinely think is about time we started having a conversation about Scott Fraser - doesn’t defend whatsoever and is incredibly inconsistent for a player who once called himself one of the best midfielders in the league. Runs as if he’s got two bricks tied to his boots 
    'Most technically gifted player' is the line peddled around. He's shit too often and a shirker when it gets tough. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Either write down you 5 or 6 best outfield players (if you can even get to 5) put them in their best positions then work out the formation or pick a formation and try and squeeze as many on your better (I use that term loosely) players as you can in it.  Either way you end up with square pegs in round holes or players that simple aren't good enough.

One solution suggested yesterday was take off CBT for Aneke and move JRS into midfield and go 442.  You mute the attacking threat of JRS, you shove a center midfielder on to the other wing and your already getting over run with 3 center mids, how would 2 cope?

The only solution I can see is playing 433 with 2 center fowards and JRS in a free role where he can go wing to wing and into the pocket looking for the ball.  But you can't do that because Bonne is the only center foward we currently have that can play an hour every game.

It's the Leaburn "injury" and lack of suitable replacement that is causing the issue, not the formation IMO. 

Perhaps there is a Carl Jenkinson type situation and that a sale has been agreed and he is being rested.
  • Options
    Talal said:

And he does not have to post it.
    Control the controllables! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

AMB
    Clare Hector / Inniss Ness Sess
    JRS Dobson Fraser CBT / Campbell 
    Aneke / Leaburn Bonne 

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Son come in earlier & told me that a striker hasn't scored for 9 games (Peterborough when Kanu set Leaburn up). That must have been Boxing Day. 

I've got a season ticket so will still go to the odd game before the season ends, but then no more. I'm not going to invest my hard earned until the club decides that they want to get out of this league & buy a striker who will score 18+ goals. Not bits & pieces players who chip in with 6 or 8 a season, or out of contract no-hopers like Josh Parker, Hemed & Bonne.

My son suggested the bloke at Notts County who scored a hat trick today. Jeez - imagine having a player who could score 3 in a match. Ours are lucky to get 3 in a season.
    Leaburn scored against Oxford on the 29th December but it’s 9 League and Cup games without a goal now for the striker up top (Whoever that incumbent maybe) in 2023. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

AMB
    Clare Hector / Inniss Ness Sess
    JRS Dobson Fraser CBT / Campbell 
    Aneke / Leaburn Bonne 

If Leaburn was fit it would not be as much of a problem in the first place.

Your pushing our 2 main goal threats 10 yards deeper, neither offer anything defensively anyway.

Looking forward to Wednesday you would leave Dobson and Fraser 2 v 3 against Bannan, Volkes and Byers.

I personally think that creates more problems than it solves.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    shirty5 said:
    Son come in earlier & told me that a striker hasn't scored for 9 games (Peterborough when Kanu set Leaburn up). That must have been Boxing Day. 

I've got a season ticket so will still go to the odd game before the season ends, but then no more. I'm not going to invest my hard earned until the club decides that they want to get out of this league & buy a striker who will score 18+ goals. Not bits & pieces players who chip in with 6 or 8 a season, or out of contract no-hopers like Josh Parker, Hemed & Bonne.

My son suggested the bloke at Notts County who scored a hat trick today. Jeez - imagine having a player who could score 3 in a match. Ours are lucky to get 3 in a season.
    Leaburn scored against Oxford on the 29th December but it’s 9 League and Cup games without a goal now for the striker up top (Whoever that incumbent maybe) in 2023. 
    It’s not just an indication that our striker is misfiring, it also shows that we’re not creating enough chances. You’d expect the odd tap in for a front man, if you’re playing decent attacking football. 
    For me the main issue is our midfield where only Dobbo is good enough. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:

You can’t avoid it
    After you see 'RonnieMoore' why do you carry on reading? 
    Like watching a car crash I guess. You know you shouldn’t but you just can’t help yourself. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    shirty5 said:

9 of our last 13 goals have been scored by one of the 3 as well though. Other than that 2 for Fraser, 1 for Morgan and an OG.

The idea of a front 3 isn't the problem.  It's the player in the middle. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:

9 of our last 13 goals have been scored by one of the 3 as well though. Other than that 2 for Fraser, 1 for Morgan and an OG.

That’s why I have mentioned the number 9. No problem with 8 goals coming from the players playing out wide in 2023 but is there enough service for the man up top to score.

I’m struggling to remember any sitters missed by Aneke, Bonne etc so far this year
  • Options
    It’s got to the point where I don’t even think promotion should be the target for next season, let alone this one. We just need a sensible ownership that is willing and able to get this club’s momentum going in the right direction again.

In football, a lot can change very quickly. But not for Charlton. I’m forecasting at least another two years in this god awful league unfortunately.
    We should look to get out of this league ASAP 
    Another two years in this league would kill us off 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:

Still not convinced we can call it a front 3. To me it's closer to 4-5-1 with attacking wingers. 
    I think that's a "us being a bit shit" problem than through design.  It's not like CBT and JRS offer anything at all defensively.

I have said before, with the players we have, we need 6 defensive players to keep a clean sheet and 6 attacking ones to score more than once.  Until we can play a 354 or a 453 we will struggle, with what we have got.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Leaburn is the only one who has had any success in that system, I agree,   but I still think he is more effective playing off someone like Chuks. I also think that we get overmanned because RS and CBT do not give support when we have to defend. If the plan is to stick with that system then we have to have players who make it work.
  • Options
    Striker is a thankless position in our team to be fair to Bonne, Aneke, Leaburn and indeed Stockley. 
  • Options
    Wing backs and we lose the goal threat from the wide men (can't expect them to play the role and defend properly). 
    4-4-2 and the centre will often be overrun. 
    4-3-3/4-5-1 and the striker is isolated.

Feels like it's been a long time now that we've had this problem. 

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Leaburn is the only one who has had any success in that system, I agree,   but I still think he is more effective playing off someone like Chuks. I also think that we get overmanned because RS and CBT do not give support when we have to defend. If the plan is to stick with that system then we have to have players who make it work.
    That's pretty much my point, it's not the system it's the players.  We don't have the players to play any system because it's been so disjointed over the last 5 windows.  Hardly surprising when we have had 5 different managers.  
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Thanks for the clarification.