Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Sheffield Wednesday: Saturday 25th February 2023, KO 3.00P

edited February 2023 in General Charlton
High-flying Sheffield Wednesday came to SE7 looking to consolidate their lead at the top of League One. Eight minutes in, they found their opener when Charlton parted the Red Sea leaving Liam Palmer wide open to slot a right footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom left corner. Sheffield Wednesday consolidated their dominance throughout the half, happy to concede the wealth of possession to a bland Addicks side finding it difficult to conjure anything going forward. Sheffield Wednesday could have gone into the break two or three to the good, having wasted a couple of chances.

The second half saw improvement from Charlton as the Addicks found a footing and Wednesday wobbled. There was more attacking intent, troubling the keeper on a few occasions and hitting the post, but nothing found the back of the net. 
Chuks Aneke came on for Kilkenny to partner a returning Miles Leaburn and immediately forced their keeper into a save. Unfortunately, injury struck Aneke down again and he was forced off on a stretcher. We pushed on from there, but a goal seemed just beyond our reach. 

It’s clear we don’t have enough to out compete the top sides. Sheffield Wednesday were a machine at times, doing everything to keep their advantage and nullify any momentum we tried to generate.

Charlton 0 Sheffield Wed 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Awful first half, better second half, can't help think though that Chef Wendy took their foot off the gas. Need investment in the summer or another season of mid table obscurity beckons.
  • edited February 2023
    Crock of shite against a Chef Wendy side that barely got out of second gear in the second half.

More injuries, woeful defending.

Next up: Peterborough, who this afternoon tonked start-of-day joint-leaders Plymouth 5-2.

What a time to be alive.

Please, will somone pull the pin on this season now.
  • Croydon said:
    Another season of hating so many of the squad. Unlikeable and shit at football, worst possible combo
    Agree, would be happy to see the back of this lot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Embarrassing 1st half. Ok 2nd half but lacked composure as usual. We're lucky there's a lot of very shit teams in this league or we'd be battling relegation. I just want this season to end. Big clear out and refresh needed over the summer, hopefully with a competent recruitment team and owner. 
    Don't write us off. We've a good chance of going down.
    Both gaps changed today, 17 points off the 6th place club and 9 points off the drop 
  • Decent result tbf. Expected a tonking. 
  • Wednesday strolled it in the first half but we gave them a game in the second. Chuks was a right handful but as we know he has hamstrings made of liquorice and that's probably him out for the season.  
    I thought Claire had a good game and is a better player as a wing back in a five man defence.

Season over .

Ordinarily it would be time to start planning for next season but Charlton are such a shit show , we don't know who will own us or even manage us come the end of the season. 
    Even though i'll be at Peterborough and Cambridge in the next few weeks , i really lost all interest. 
  • Deano just said it the Iorfa tackle on JRS should have been a red….I agree….refs are awful in this league
  • I do think we need to play 3-5-2 from now on. If we're having to shoehorn youths in so we don't risk our two senior forwards at the same time, so be it.

I don't think CBT was too bad at wing back, he got up and down well, Clare looked good today.
  • I'm struggling to see how we get 4 wins to be sure of avoiding the drop.

We can easily get sucked into the mess down below as we simply have no ability other than in a few players.

Yes I know people think we're safe but this is Charlton... We don't do safe... In fact I'm not sure what we do anymore it's an absolute basket case of a club from top to bottom. 

I still love them but boy they make it tough. 

Still onto Peterborough for another masterpiece. 

• Bannon head and shoulders above every other player out there, helped by us giving him the freedom of The Valley to stroll around and run the game.

I was slightly surprised by the Wednesday tactics actually, as they seemed happy to manage the game at 1-0 from early on, rather than pushing on for a decisive second goal in the first half, when we were terrible.

We improved a bit after the break, but Leaburn and Aneke going off killed any momentum we had been generating.
  • Typical Charlton performance. Perm any eight from ten to win the jackpot:

1. Defence too lethargic. 
    2. Maynard Brewer kept us in it.
    3. Too many stray passes.
    4. Got out muscled by their defence.
    5. Opposition managed the game better than us.
    6. Second half was better.
    7. Our fightback was too little, too late.
    8. Bonne never looks like scoring. 
    9. Chuks is made of glass.
    10. We need root and branch changes at this club.

• Sponsored links:

• I'm struggling to see how we get 4 wins to be sure of avoiding the drop.

We can easily get sucked into the mess down below as we simply have no ability other than in a few players.

Yes I know people think we're safe but this is Charlton... We don't do safe... In fact I'm not sure what we do anymore it's an absolute basket case of a club from top to bottom. 

I still love them but boy they make it tough. 

Still onto Peterborough for another masterpiece. 

Plenty of winnable games coming up once we've got past this run of tough games.
  • All part of a shit weekend for me.  Thanks Charlton.
  • Wednesday fans are odd aren’t they. Never fail to bring big numbers but never very loud. Was only about 15 minutes in the second half when they got going. That’s when they’re top of the league and have just beaten their club record for games unbeaten. 
  • The Facts:
    Not scored in the last 2 games
    Ownership issues that mean that we don't really know who will own the club by season end
    Manager's contract expires at season end
    9 points off relegation
    The Valley pitch is poor and doesn't suit our style
    Lack of competent strikers with one possible out injured for the foreseeable 

This all adds up to a relegation battle.
  • Gills went down in fourth from bottom with 40 points, Morecambe stayed up with 42 points. If this is the same this season we are safe 👍
  • amazing that were actually doing better than last season. Wtf has happened to our club?