Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Sheffield Wednesday: Saturday 25th February 2023, KO 3.00P

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    At least the terrible state of the pitch helped us today. Really slowed the ball down and stopped a few dangerous Wednesday moves 
    I just don't see it. The pitch looks fine to me. I can only imagine you didnt witness pitches before Premier League money brought in decent playing surfaces as they would be half mud by end of February. Showed my son the clip of Motty's famous "Ronnie Radford" goal.....mainly mud with some grass out wide. 
    The pitch is in absolutely shocking condition when you actually look at it 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Was at the game, went more in hope than anything else - that hope was dashed just 9 minutes into the game and the rest of the first half was attack against defence and we were lucky to go in at HT only 1 down, it could easily have been 3.
    Second half was a better showing from the Reds, but against a team like Weds you have to take your chances, no matter how few and far in between, they are. With Miles limping off and Chucks obviously, I would think, out for the rest of season, where the hell do we go from here? Two really tough games coming up at Peterborough and Plymouth we could be looking over our shoulder again at the relegation fight.
    No news emanating from the club on Holdens future, no takeover anywhere in sight and we still have 'rock on Tommy' taking this club backwards at a very fast rate of knots! 
    £50 in fuel, 8 hours travelling to see the game, watching loads of Wednesday supporters as happy as pigs in shit at the services on the M1 when I stopped on the way home.....why the hell do I bother!!
    One final point, whoever owns us in the summer - its yet another massive rebuild, cash is going to have to be spent, if Tommy-boy is still in charge watch out for some of our better players being sold and 'crocked' journeymen coming in!
    What hope is there? Bob Hope and No hope!

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    Highlight of the match was Ness’ tackle in the first half to deny Wednesday a goal. Deserved every bit of the applause he received. 
    Highlight for me was getting in the Rad at 12
    And leaving at about 4.30
    Seriously fucked of with going at the moment. 
    What or where or even who is
     The Rad?
    Pre match drinking at Plumstead. 
    Met me old mate chippy and loads of mate's including my cousin who had come over from Greece. 
    I enjoyed myself so much that I decided to stay. 
    Watching us at the moment feels like torture. 

Should have stayed with you mate. 
  • Options
    Chuks going down injured after 20 mins on the pitch summed up our season for me.
  • Options
    Men, boys.... 1-0 flatters us
    Disagree second half we were the better side and deserved a point .. again two key moments the sending off , how it’s not a straight red and Leaburn miss …… if they had 10 men and it was 1-1 completely diff game 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    We really should have been 3 up in the first half, but decided to 'take it easy' which sometimes creeps into our game when the game looks easy, it's slightly dangerous approach because whilst at 1-0 you were always in the game.
    Second half was more even but I was expecting much more from you guys at the Valley, I'm certain the Wedensday team did as well and in parts it was like a pre-season knock about!

All the best for the season think it will just fade out to a lower half finish for you and hopefully we go up automatic 👍🏻 

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    Could have been yes, but should have been, no. Ness came up with a great block, that’s part of the game. The other chance was where your guy hit it straight at the keeper. That’s poor finishing, but you get that in League One. 
    I’d argue that we had more chances than you in the second half, and put you under a little bit of pressure. 
    Couple of good last ditch blocks/tackles (one of which may have finished Aneke’s season) and one which denied Leaburn from the rebound, were quality defending, because were they mistimed they could have led to penalties.
    Leaburn missed a bit of a sitter, and your keeper pulled off a great save to deny Corey Blackett-Taylor. 
    I doubt you ‘decided to take it easy’, it was more likely to be a bit of complacency. But we do have one or two players who can hurt you (on a good day). 
    What's one of those?
  • Options
    clive said:
    Leaburn's miss looked worse from where I was sitting. We create so few chances.
  • Options
    Credit to Holden for trying something different and for getting a real reaction from the players  in the second half.

It must be a tough job picking a side from a squad with no proven full backs and no proven striker and an even tougher job motivating players who know they are employed in a dysfunctional mad house owned by a nutter whose management team changes on a weekly basis.  

Bottom line is we are not very good. Even if we had Purrington, Washington and O'Connell playing yesterday, we would have been much better but under this ownership  the playing squad just keeps getting progressively worse. 

On a positive note = Holden with AMB, Ness, Dobson and Leaburn would be a solid foundation for next season if we could get a half-sane owner in time to build on it.
  • Options
    A third home loss on the spin for the Addicks.

• Options
    Holden got it wrong. 3-5-2 doesn’t work for us at the moment. Rak-Sakyi is by far our best player so he needs to be in his best role to get the best out of him. Don’t want him getting the ball centrally or too deep like he was yesterday. Should have changed to a back 4 and got JRS out on the right. 

Wollacott is better than AMB. If we’re trying to get him to sign a new contract then fair enough keep playing him but even if AMB is a better shot stopper his distribution is terrible compared to Wollacott so I wouldn’t have him as number 1 next season but it would be good to keep both 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd like to think that what today proved, in some small way, is that if you have a real threat up top, the whole team functions better - when chucks and Leaburn were both up there, wednesday were on the ropes and we were marauding forward - it was a matter of time before we scored - this is the major problem we have had all season and, in reality, since Taylor downed tools - forget all the 'we need another centre half, we need a left sided full back - what we need is a potent strike force and until we have one, we're wasting our time. 
    Are you me ?
  • Options
    clive said:
    Leaburn's miss looked worse from where I was sitting. We create so few chances.
    Only just noticed it was Dobbo who was marking Palmer, but lost him when the cross came over.
  • Options

It must be a tough job picking a side from a squad with no proven full backs and no proven striker.

Did we not just have a transfer window where Holden & his mates could have addressed this.

In fact Scott said it was Holden's choice to have a "slim downed" squad. Now, Scott could by lying....but Holden hasn't said anything to the contrary so I assume he's happy with the players he's got.

I have no sympathy with Holden. As far as I'm concerned he can do one. 
  • Options
    Definite Inniss agenda in some of these player marks. What did he do wrong?
  • Options

It must be a tough job picking a side from a squad with no proven full backs and no proven striker.

Did we not just have a transfer window where Holden & his mates could have addressed this.

In fact Scott said it was Holden's choice to have a "slim downed" squad. Now, Scott could by lying....but Holden hasn't said anything to the contrary so I assume he's happy with the players he's got.

He's off again ;-)
  • Options
    Same shit show different week and team. Post match thread should just be copied and pasted from previous threads. 
    We were better second half, (could hardly of been worse) but theses players are just not up to playing to the standard I expect for the price I pay to watch. I don’t even aspire to Millwall levels of loftyness just players who know which boot goes on which foot would be a improvement. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    More importantly I’m stunned that Clare is getting good marks
  • Options
    Please correct if I’m wrong but i think it’s  only twice since the play off final win that we have come from behind and won. 

Bristol City at home in championship
    wimbledon at home last season.

Culture and attitude is a big problem.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd like to think that what today proved, in some small way, is that if you have a real threat up top, the whole team functions better - when chucks and Leaburn were both up there, wednesday were on the ropes and we were marauding forward - it was a matter of time before we scored - this is the major problem we have had all season and, in reality, since Taylor downed tools - forget all the 'we need another centre half, we need a left sided full back - what we need is a potent strike force and until we have one, we're wasting our time. 
    Are you me ?
    i'm the best bits of you but so much more on top  :D
  • Options

i think you will find he is doing one 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am done now for the season. Wasting my Saturdays going to watch this rot. Even if we beat the mighty Accrington Stanley 5-0, it will wash over me. Never felt so low and disengaged. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    It took us time to settle into the 352 but CBT asleep let his man go ,, Ness pulled out to help and goal poor goal but we kept in the game and second half think we were the better team and deserved a point .. but another poor miss this time from Leaburn in the end costs us the game 
    CBT again failed to supply one decent  cross the whole game including two great openings in the last mins to get a decent ball in the box but failed both times very very frustrating player 
    Ronnie, he is a shit player, CBT being frustrating would be an improvement on the performances he subjects us to. 
    Look at the CBT thread, third most threatening winger in league one according to stats
    Threatening yes, able to deliver on occasions, yes, overall, his speed allows him to take up threatening positions but he fails to deliver time and time again. 
  • Options
    I am done now for the season. Wasting my Saturdays going to watch this rot. Even if we beat the mighty Accrington Stanley 5-0, it will wash over me. Never felt so low and disengaged. 
    i'll keep going but why i don't know - come out of the ground drained and depressed most weeks then that trudge up the hill and find out millwall have won again - doesn't leave me feeling buzzing at the start of a saturday night - more like wanting a couple of quiet pints, some dinner, and an early night - is it worth it? much better things i could be doing - just get the club sold TS please and lets stop wasting everbody's time and effort   
  • Options
    Please correct if I’m wrong but i think it’s  only twice since the play off final win that we have come from behind and won. 

Bristol City at home in championship
    wimbledon at home last season.

Culture and attitude is a big problem.
    I think there is a name for that 😉.

But yes, twice in almost 100 matches. Abysmal. As soon as an opposing team scores the opening goal we all might as well pack up & go home. 
  • Options
    We now definitely need a good healthy fit striker who can score goals. We currently do not have one. We definitely need another full back as good as Hector. Innis is not that person. yesterday’s game showed us that everyone is working hard, but some are too happy to take a dive rather than stand and hold their ground. Sheffield Wednesday, bossed us off the ball throughout the first half and even well into the second half simply by being stronger than us. The idea that they are a dirty team holds some ground but we are also very lightweight when it comes to keeping the ball chuks was the only person who could keep the ball upfront. I thought Sean Claire had a great game as did. George Dobson and Ashley. 
  • Options

He may have asked for the squad to be slimmed but did he have any say on new recruits?
  • Options
    Should have been three down at half time but edged the second half. Wednesday were professional but ultimately we are too easy to stop. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Smithy said:
    Leuth said:
    More importantly I’m stunned that Clare is getting good marks
    Clare has been consistently one of our better players in recent games. Don’t know if that’s because he’s good, or more likely because the rest have been so poor, but he was the best of a bad bunch yesterday 

Clare was one of our main attacking threats, he should have had an assist if Leaburn had scored.