Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Sheffield Wednesday: Saturday 25th February 2023, KO 3.00P

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Just think....during lockdown we would've killed for a season like this....
    I really dont.

Yeah I would have.
  • Options
    conker said:
    Holden got the tactics completely wrong playing 3 at the back and expecting CBT to cover at left back. Also caused Clare and Raki-Sakyi to not really know where they were supposed to be playing.

Shame really because I was not that impressed Sheff Weds and we could have pushed them a bit harder.

Thought Corey wasn't too bad defensively. After his horror show last week he put in a decent shift. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    conker said:
    Holden got the tactics completely wrong playing 3 at the back and expecting CBT to cover at left back. Also caused Clare and Raki-Sakyi to not really know where they were supposed to be playing.

Shame really because I was not that impressed Sheff Weds and we could have pushed them a bit harder.

Thought Corey wasn't too bad defensively. After his horror show last week he put in a decent shift. 
    Funny how differently we all see games. I thought he was awful today.
  • Options
    We really should have been 3 up in the first half, but decided to 'take it easy' which sometimes creeps into our game when the game looks easy, it's slightly dangerous approach because whilst at 1-0 you were always in the game.
    Second half was more even but I was expecting much more from you guys at the Valley, I'm certain the Wedensday team did as well and in parts it was like a pre-season knock about!

All the best for the season think it will just fade out to a lower half finish for you and hopefully we go up automatic 👍🏻 

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    Oh fuck off.
    😆 
  • Options
    They Should have been out of sight by half time but more fool them for only being one up.

Much better second half and that time with Leaburn and Aneke up top we were the better side and would in my opinion got that goal eventually 

However from the 75th to the 82nd minute the game goes flat for us with Leaburn going off and Aneke off on an Orange Canoe later on down the tunnel 

Shame but an improvement on the last home game at least
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    We really should have been 3 up in the first half, but decided to 'take it easy' which sometimes creeps into our game when the game looks easy, it's slightly dangerous approach because whilst at 1-0 you were always in the game.
    Second half was more even but I was expecting much more from you guys at the Valley, I'm certain the Wedensday team did as well and in parts it was like a pre-season knock about!

All the best for the season think it will just fade out to a lower half finish for you and hopefully we go up automatic 👍🏻 

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    Could have been yes, but should have been, no. Ness came up with a great block, that’s part of the game. The other chance was where your guy hit it straight at the keeper. That’s poor finishing, but you get that in League One. 
    I’d argue that we had more chances than you in the second half, and put you under a little bit of pressure. 
    Couple of good last ditch blocks/tackles (one of which may have finished Aneke’s season) and one which denied Leaburn from the rebound, were quality defending, because were they mistimed they could have led to penalties.
    Leaburn missed a bit of a sitter, and your keeper pulled off a great save to deny Corey Blackett-Taylor. 
    I doubt you ‘decided to take it easy’, it was more likely to be a bit of complacency. But we do have one or two players who can hurt you (on a good day). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I was at the match.

AMB was generally good but his goal kicks, specially to his left, were terrible.

Dribbling and ball control was ok for Charlton but passing was baffling (read: sub-professional standard) way too often.

Loved some of the fancy footwork from Fraser and others, and some of the clever (edit: passing) one-twos. For me, this partly makes up for the disappointing scoreline.

Wednesday looked deserving of the win, but I thought the Bolton match was much more disheartening (didn't watch the Derby game).

Rak-Sakyi always seemed to be surrounded/tackled by at least two players. I think they knew he was our main threat.

I wasn't expecting a result today: I only hoped that it wouldn't be a boring/demoralizing match, which in my opinion it wasn't. SW just were not good enough to overwhelm us, regardless of whether they tried or not.
  • Options
    amazing that were actually doing better than last season. Wtf has happened to our club?
    Don't think that would have been the case if Garner had stayed in charge!
    Was actually thinking today that we looked more dangerous going forward under Garner. 
    But it took us half an hour to go forward
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    JamesSeed said:

Ignoring ownership issues and squad weaknesses & strengths, this was quite an entertaining contest, one where Wednesday could have been three up at half time, but where we gave them a proper fight in the second half.

Highlights were the BlockNessMonster (thanks Heather) preventing a certain Windass goal, and Clare’s brilliant dispossessing of a Wendy, leading to the setting up of a relatively simple chance for our Miles. 

We lacked composure in front of goal, although CBT (playing as well at times this week as he played badly last) had a great strike that required a brilliant stop by Dawson. His crossing wasn’t t always the best though  

Despite what the Wendies’ fan was predicting on Charlton Live, it was Bannan who was once a solo act. He’s class, and what a difference he’d make to our side. 

The game could, and possibly should have finished one all after that second half, although Wednesday are clearly a far stronger side than we are. They’re certainly more experienced, and masters of ‘the dark arts’. 

I’m no Bonne fan, but he won about six aerial duals.

Also noticed that Fraser doesn’t have the floated ball over the top in his armoury. I wish he’d mix it up a bit. 

I thought Dobbo, Ness, Clare had good games. Miles was decent on his return. CBT, Hector and Inniss were ok, Rak-Sakyi was doubled up on, so relatively quiet. AMB was fine, but his kicking was a bit wayward.

Watch out Peterborough, here we come! 😬

Never has the phrase ‘must have been watching a different game’ been more appropriate
    My point is that we all view matches through the filter of recent experiences. 
    Had we won the previous four or five matches we would have been shocked by the first half, and then encouraged by the second, but because we’ve been pretty poor in the last four or five games we react to today’s match more negatively. 
    I made an effort to forget the previous matches and watched this as a one-off. Even so, my expectations were very low. 
    But overall I think we were decent in the second half. Against a very good side. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    conker said:

Funny how differently we all see games. I thought he was awful today.
    Would certainly agree last week where he looked like he couldn’t play at all. 
    Perhaps there’s an element of clutching at straws, but he was at least a bit better this week, against much better opposition. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    RedPanda said:
    Everyone please boycott the Sainsbury's by the station until I get to the bottom of this.

It's not the bottom you want to worry about 
  • Options
    Cannot see how anyone can say Clare had a good game today. So casual and pedestrian on the ball.

Hector and Innis just booting the ball out of play rather than sending it up the line, Hector looked rusty as fuck.

The way back 4 stood still pointing fingers at each other for their goal reminded me of the Spider-Man pointing meme. 

CBT not a wing back but we know that already. 

Ness was only defender to come out with any credit today. 

Like AMB but his distribution was sub par today. Good few kicks that went well out of play.

Looked best when we switched to a more conventional 442 shape

Can’t wait for another two or three seasons of average league one football….
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    At least the terrible state of the pitch helped us today. Really slowed the ball down and stopped a few dangerous Wednesday moves 
    I just don't see it. The pitch looks fine to me. I can only imagine you didnt witness pitches before Premier League money brought in decent playing surfaces as they would be half mud by end of February. Showed my son the clip of Motty's famous "Ronnie Radford" goal.....mainly mud with some grass out wide. 
    The pitch is in shit nick, and saying it's fine because pitches were worse in 1993 is a ridiculous argument. 
    1993?

Only 20 or 21 years off.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Perspective. It was better than I expected. Dean H inherited this squad. It's not a promotion winning squad. We lack from the defence, through the midfield and into the attack. Not good enough to challenge for play offs. I do think that the effort is there but just not the quality. Until the whole ownership debacle gets resolved I don't know how we can progress. Its a worry but perspective. It's still the club I love and will support through thick and thin (so much more thin) spent whole day with 8 year old grandson who despite living in Norwich loves Charlton. Love being with him at the Valley. Took us 4 hour's to get there today because of that damn Tunnel!! Still worth it though. It's easy to support a club doing well but not a club during times of adversity. However, that's what we do at Charlton!! UTA
    Love that. My oldest is 17, so no grandchildren in the near future, but I really hope for something similar when the time comes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    I think you're flattering yourself. Deserved to win, but I expected a bit more for a side sitting top of the table. Great numbers, but pathetic noise. 
  • Options

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    Couple of real stick your neck out moments in this post. Really pleased that I read to end.
  • Options
    The first half was utterly inept. Yes they hustled us, and the ref let a lot go, but we didn't have a shot worthy of the name, while they could have had it sewn up by half time.
    Second half, we actually took the game to them a bit, and actually put them on the back foot a bit. Not the worst performance thanks to the second half, but getting beaten regularly by better teams in league 1 is a pretty poor situation. Curbs disected everything post match. 
  • Options
    Charlton Lightweights 0 - Sheffield Cloggers 1.

I begrudgingly believe we need to be like them to get out of this League.  It ain't nice, it ain't pretty.  It's tough, resilient, niggardly, organised and well drilled, but football?  Well that's the loser.