Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Sheffield Wednesday: Saturday 25th February 2023, KO 3.00P

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    At least the terrible state of the pitch helped us today. Really slowed the ball down and stopped a few dangerous Wednesday moves 
    I just don't see it. The pitch looks fine to me. I can only imagine you didnt witness pitches before Premier League money brought in decent playing surfaces as they would be half mud by end of February. Showed my son the clip of Motty's famous "Ronnie Radford" goal.....mainly mud with some grass out wide. 
    The pitch is in absolutely shocking condition when you actually look at it 

The pigeons like the pitch. Indeed their numbers multiplied during the game!
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Leuth said:
    Definite Inniss agenda in some of these player marks. What did he do wrong?
    More importantly I’m stunned that Clare is getting good marks
    At least we’re arguing about football 👍

Think Clare has been very good in the last few games. He basically set up what should have been the equaliser yesterday. It’s probably time he was tried in midfield instead of Kilkenny, although without Egbo who do you play there?
    Inniss was ok, although booting it into touch can get a bit tedious. 
  • Options
    I was at the match with my youngest son and, apart from the result, we both enjoyed the game. It certainly wasn't a classic, but I thought it was a decently entertaining game. With a bit of luck we could have grabbed a draw after the much improved second half performance.

Barry Bannan was the best player on the pitch and I am surprised the amount of freedom we allowed him. I think this was calling out to man-to-man mark him.

We looked good up front for a while when Chuks was on, but I thought bringing him on with so much time to play was asking for trouble. There is no doubt he is a talented player, but his fitness issues are beyond a joke. I feel for him, but surely it is time to hang up his boots?

It was a much better performance than I was expecting. However, two more defeats to come this week I fear.
  • Options
    Just look at how well they did the basics. Their game management was exceptional.

Look at the pockets of space, in advanced positions, and the frequent early, accurate, and penetrative passes Barry Bannon played, and compare those with what the “Scottish Pirlo” had to offer. 

Look at how well they were able to close down space, press the man on the ball, and have a spare man at nearly all times backing up in case the first defender was beaten by our man. 

Look at the movement of their forwards, to create space, pull our defenders out of position, and get bodies into the box. 

We are miles and miles off being good enough to get promoted. And I don’t think we are playing any better now than when Garner was sacked. 

Holden seems a really good bloke, but we need a really good football manager. I’m not convinced it’s him, although anyone will continue to be hamstrung by this unbalanced, weak minded, and injury prone squad.

I want someone in charge who will drill a side like they were drilled today so we stop being easy meat for teams, because, make no mistake, although we only lost 1-0 that was, just like last week, and every other time we seem to play a good side, that was easy for Wednesday today. 
    that analysis is spot on.
  • Options
    We now definitely need a good healthy fit striker who can score goals. We currently do not have one. We definitely need another full back as good as Hector. Innis is not that person. yesterday’s game showed us that everyone is working hard, but some are too happy to take a dive rather than stand and hold their ground. Sheffield Wednesday, bossed us off the ball throughout the first half and even well into the second half simply by being stronger than us. The idea that they are a dirty team holds some ground but we are also very lightweight when it comes to keeping the ball chuks was the only person who could keep the ball upfront. I thought Sean Claire had a great game as did. George Dobson and Ashley. 
    we need 4 proven and fit strikes. Currently we have non of either, this will cost a lot of money.
  • Options
    Selling Stockley will come back to bite us. Why on earth didn't Fraser take that free kick at the end?
    Kilkenny useless. Thought these deadline signings were an improvement. Kane injured, Penny not much, Kilkenny even worse, verdict still out on Hector, but don't think he will be here next season. Andy Scott and Co, just seemed a cost cutting exercise. Roland was bad, but Tommy trying to outdo him. Ground and Sparrows Lane need to be re-valued ASAP!
  • Options
    A lot of Fraser hate. But from when we took Kilkenny off (clarifying his role) right up until we were left with just Bonne up front again (and even thereafter) we were indisputably on top, and he was contributing to that. He's been absolutely excellent in a 2 with Dobson. But the 3rd midfielder has made his role confused again. He's been forced too high up the pitch where it's hard for him to dictate play. A second striker he is not. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Leuth said:
    A lot of Fraser hate. But from when we took Kilkenny off (clarifying his role) right up until we were left with just Bonne up front again (and even thereafter) we were indisputably on top, and he was contributing to that. He's been absolutely excellent in a 2 with Dobson. But the 3rd midfielder has made his role confused again. He's been forced too high up the pitch where it's hard for him to dictate play. A second striker he is not. 
    Sorry, but he's been absolutely disappointing in a 2 with Dobson. Perhaps playing Clare in midfield instead of Kilkenny might help.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Smithy said:
    Leuth said:

Think Clare has been very good in the last few games. He basically set up what should have been the equaliser yesterday. It’s probably time he was tried in midfield instead of Kilkenny, although without Egbo who do you play there?
    He had some really good games at the beginning of the season but his positional sense is awful and he’s usually the worst culprit for slowing down attacks as he doesn’t want to take any risks. It’s not a coincidence that teams always target us down our right even when CBT is playing left back. Personally I don’t think he has the quality on the ball or the positional sense to play in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Leuth said:
    In which games was he absolutely excellent in a 2 with Dobson? Not saying it didn't happen but I can't remember. I do remember him putting in a surprisingly good defensive effort when we lined up 442 but I can't recall him dictating games. Playing in a three is supposed to be his preferred position. I'm sure if you asked Scott himself, he'd say that.

• Options
    Smithy said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Smithy said:
    Leuth said:

He had some really good games at the beginning of the season but his positional sense is awful and he’s usually the worst culprit for slowing down attacks as he doesn’t want to take any risks. It’s not a coincidence that teams always target us down our right even when CBT is playing left back. Personally I don’t think he has the quality on the ball or the positional sense to play in midfield.
    Maybe. But I think we should try him anyway, once Egbo is back. Have we got any decent RBs in the U21s?
  • Options
    True to form, Aneke goes down clutching his hammy like a sniper took him out and he wasn't even sprinting. I was hoping he would get treated like a racehorse: A screen placed around him and a fella in a long trench coat carrying a shotgun puts him out of his misery. Hopefully (whoever owns us) at the end of the season decides to release him. Yes, we'd have to pay him, but we'd at least save money on medical bills. 

Even Dobbo disappointed me today. Poor passing and was definitely to blame for the goal. He tracked the player into the box then the Palmer stopped and dobbo just kept going, eyes on the ball. 

Wednesday always looked like they had an extra gear if required and apart from Leaburns effort, we never really troubled them. 

I decided on 80 mins to beat the traffic and head home and I think I made the right call
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I think Fraser was at best playing in a 3 with Dobbo and Morgan.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    His best position is on the left of a 3. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone good enough to play on the right of that 3 as Morgan just isn’t good enough. Yesterday Kilkenny played more alongside Dobson with Fraser pushed into the number 10 role which he doesn’t suit and his performance showed that. 

I don’t think Fraser is the problem, he’s a good player. The problem is that we have been lacking a good box to box midfielder with energy that can get into the box a score. That player alongside Dobson and Fraser would be an ideal 3, but without it we either play Fraser out of position further forward or we play Morgan who isn’t good enough. The last 2 games have showed neither of these approaches are good enough to compete with the better sides in the league. 

Gilbey was supposed to be that player but wasn’t good enough, Morgan isn’t sure what he is but does have the energy for that role but defensively and in the final third he isn’t good enough. It’s one of the many things we need to add in the summer if we are to do anything next season
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    His best position is on the left of a 3. Unfortunately we don’t have anyone good enough to play on the right of that 3 as Morgan just isn’t good enough. Yesterday Kilkenny played more alongside Dobson with Fraser pushed into the number 10 role which he doesn’t suit and his performance showed that. 

I don’t think Fraser is the problem, he’s a good player. The problem is that we have been lacking a good box to box midfielder with energy that can get into the box a score. That player alongside Dobson and Fraser would be an ideal 3, but without it we either play Fraser out of position further forward or we play Morgan who isn’t good enough. The last 2 games have showed neither of these approaches are good enough to compete with the better sides in the league. 

Gilbey was supposed to be that player but wasn’t good enough, Morgan isn’t sure what he is but does have the energy for that role but defensively and in the final third he isn’t good enough. It’s one of the many things we need to add in the summer if we are to do anything next season
    I think I'd rather play Albie than Kilkenny. As you say, he has the energy to play the role and he frees up Fraser to play his own game. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

I think I'd rather play Albie than Kilkenny. As you say, he has the energy to play the role and he frees up Fraser to play his own game. 
    May be a controversial idea - but Clare could to the Box to Box role 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The thing with Kilkenny is he may get better with more games, indeed he may not, but with Albie we know he won't improve from where he is now. I always thought Gilbey could be that player but appreciate nobody agrees with me :). I thought he could bring goals to his game which is very important but he isn't banging them in in League 2 like I thought he would. Anyway, if we can find a more than decent player to play there, we have the making of a top midfield. I'd like one who can score from distance too as we desperately need that sort of threat.

I have given up on Inniss. It is good he has sorted out his fitness but I always thought he was about threatening from set pieces which he did a couple of seasons ago, but if he does get his head to the ball now, it is generally a crap header. For me he has gone backwards. Seeing as we will be at this level again next season, maybe a squad player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The thing with Kilkenny is he may get better with more games, indeed he may not, but with Albie we know he won't improve from where he is now. I always thought Gilbey could be that player but appreciate nobody agrees with me  :). Even then, if we can find a more than decent player to play there, we have the aking of a top midfield.
    We should walk League 2 then 😂
  • Options
    We love you Chucks, but it's time for you to find a new way to make a living.
  • Options
    Time to get behind Chucks, whatever happens, good luck Chucks in the future, hopefully with us.
  • Options
    amazing that were actually doing better than last season. Wtf has happened to our club?
    Crap owners - it’s that simple 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    The thing with Kilkenny is he may get better with more games, indeed he may not, but with Albie we know he won't improve from where he is now. I always thought Gilbey could be that player but appreciate nobody agrees with me :). I thought he could bring goals to his game which is very important but he isn't banging them in in League 2 like I thought he would. Anyway, if we can find a more than decent player to play there, we have the making of a top midfield. I'd like one who can score from distance too as we desperately need that sort of threat.

I have given up on Inniss. It is good he has sorted out his fitness but I always thought he was about threatening from set pieces which he did a couple of seasons ago, but if he does get his head to the ball now, it is generally a crap header. For me he has gone backwards. Seeing as we will be at this level again next season, maybe a squad player. 
    You've given up on Inniss because he floated a couple of headers to their keeper? And yet you still think Gilbey is the answer? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:

May be a controversial idea - but Clare could to the Box to Box role 
    I think he’d be quite similar to Gilbey there in that he’d give us energy, and is a great dribbler. But when it comes to that final pass/cross/finish he doesn’t have the quality. Might be our best option for now though but then he’s probably needed at right back 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

You've given up on Inniss because he floated a couple of headers to their keeper? And yet you still think Gilbey is the answer? 
    We all have opinions but my assessment of Inniss isn't over over game of course, but I'm sure you know that!
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Holden got it wrong. 3-5-2 doesn’t work for us at the moment. Rak-Sakyi is by far our best player so he needs to be in his best role to get the best out of him. Don’t want him getting the ball centrally or too deep like he was yesterday. Should have changed to a back 4 and got JRS out on the right. 

Wollacott is better than AMB. If we’re trying to get him to sign a new contract then fair enough keep playing him but even if AMB is a better shot stopper his distribution is terrible compared to Wollacott so I wouldn’t have him as number 1 next season but it would be good to keep both 
    Surely shot stopping is rated more highly than distribution. A goal keeper that never lets  shot in-sounds perfect. He can kick it wherever he likes, because theres a "something -nil" scoreline.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Holden got it wrong. 3-5-2 doesn’t work for us at the moment. Rak-Sakyi is by far our best player so he needs to be in his best role to get the best out of him. Don’t want him getting the ball centrally or too deep like he was yesterday. Should have changed to a back 4 and got JRS out on the right. 

Wollacott is better than AMB. If we’re trying to get him to sign a new contract then fair enough keep playing him but even if AMB is a better shot stopper his distribution is terrible compared to Wollacott so I wouldn’t have him as number 1 next season but it would be good to keep both 
    Surely shot stopping is rated more highly than distribution. A goal keeper that never lets  shot in-sounds perfect. He can kick it wherever he likes, because theres a "something -nil" scoreline.
    It is but personally I think Wollacott is a better all-round goalkeeper as his shot-stopping was also very good earlier in the season and the rest of his game is a lot stronger than AMBs. We conceded possession often yesterday from AMB kicking it no where near our players or straight out for a throw in. We have nothing to play for so I’d keep playing AMB for his development and to hopefully convince him to sign a contract but if both are here next season I would start Wollacott unless AMB improves a lot at the rest of his game