Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic V Sheffield Wednesday: Saturday 25th February 2023, KO 3.00P

Comments

• Options
    BFG94 said:
    Highlight of the match was Ness’ tackle in the first half to deny Wednesday a goal. Deserved every bit of the applause he received. 
    Highlight for me was getting in the Rad at 12
    And leaving at about 4.30
    Seriously fucked of with going at the moment. 
    What or where or even who is
     The Rad?
    Pre match drinking at Plumstead. 
    Met me old mate chippy and loads of mate's including my cousin who had come over from Greece. 
    I enjoyed myself so much that I decided to stay. 
    Watching us at the moment feels like torture. 

• Options
    looked to me like Hector tried beating his personal best of ‘how high can I kick a ball’ in the 2nd half 
    back in the day struggled to get it over his house ....
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    It took us time to settle into the 352 but CBT asleep let his man go ,, Ness pulled out to help and goal poor goal but we kept in the game and second half think we were the better team and deserved a point .. but another poor miss this time from Leaburn in the end costs us the game 
    CBT again failed to supply one decent  cross the whole game including two great openings in the last mins to get a decent ball in the box but failed both times very very frustrating player 
    Ronnie, he is a shit player, CBT being frustrating would be an improvement on the performances he subjects us to. 
    Look at the CBT thread, third most threatening winger in league one according to stats.
  • Options
    Stunned that people thought CBT played well..the guy can't cross his legs. That one at the end..whip it in..put some pace on it and it might flick someone and go in. Wingers should be able to cross....simple as that.
    He is not a "winger". He simply has a bit of pace but as he is not a striker he has to play out wide. Same as JRS, although he has more guile & trickery.
    If he's not a winger or a striker, what is he? 
    An attacking midfielder?
    He’s a 100m runner. 
  • Options
    Other than his first game against Posh, under Holden we no longer draw games which is quite a contrast to Garner's reign where in one run we drew 5 out of 7, 4 of them 1-1. 
  • Options
    Holden got the tactics completely wrong playing 3 at the back and expecting CBT to cover at left back. Also caused Clare and Raki-Sakyi to not really know where they were supposed to be playing.

Shame really because I was not that impressed Sheff Weds and we could have pushed them a bit harder.

• Options
    I've seen worse displays this season so not too disappointed, we actually had a couple of chances we should have taken. 

What annoyed me was the amount of poor passes under little pressure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    far better second half, but what about the first half .. Charlton players, for fuck sake wake up, let's be avin you for 2 halves .. get some Red Bull down yer collective necks f f s 
    Wednesday unbeaten now in 20 .. the mantle of dirty, scrappy, unpleasant Yorkie outfit has moved down the road from 60s/70s Leeds to 23s Wednesday, the new home of anti football
  • Options
    At least the terrible state of the pitch helped us today. Really slowed the ball down and stopped a few dangerous Wednesday moves 
  • Options
    Utter shite. Our best player is a youth loan. League one here we stay.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    At least the terrible state of the pitch helped us today. Really slowed the ball down and stopped a few dangerous Wednesday moves 
    I just don't see it. The pitch looks fine to me. I can only imagine you didnt witness pitches before Premier League money brought in decent playing surfaces as they would be half mud by end of February. Showed my son the clip of Motty's famous "Ronnie Radford" goal.....mainly mud with some grass out wide. 
  • Options
    We really should have been 3 up in the first half, but decided to 'take it easy' which sometimes creeps into our game when the game looks easy, it's slightly dangerous approach because whilst at 1-0 you were always in the game.
    Second half was more even but I was expecting much more from you guys at the Valley, I'm certain the Wedensday team did as well and in parts it was like a pre-season knock about!

All the best for the season think it will just fade out to a lower half finish for you and hopefully we go up automatic 👍🏻 

Best of luck 👍🏻 
    I was confused by your tactics, as you seemed to consolidate at 1-0, and started time wasting and the "niggly fouls" early on rather than just continuing to play football, when you had the best player on the pitch in Bannon.

It was as if Moore expected a really tough game, when in the first half you should have put the game to bed by HT.
  • Options
    Boring, crap match.

Enjoyed the crossbar challenge (often the best bit of a Charlton home game). 

Had a laugh with Chippy.

Saw Dave Courtney in The East Stand.

• Options
    I thought we were very poor first half but were much better second half. We are clearly not in their class but Chuks and Miles were looking dangerous. If Miles had scored and the pair of them had stayed on the pitch we could have held on for a point. As it was we only lost 1-0 when pre match I expected a 3-0 defeat. I think we have been far worse than today on many occasions this season. I didn't see a lack of effort they were just better than us both technically and physically.
  • Options
    SW stopped up playing with any pace first half . Any chance that we had of breaking or gaining momentum , they fouled us . 

Thought CBT was awful today - he has no idea how to play the defensive part of a wingback’s game. In hindsight it may have been better to play Sess and bring CBT on when the game broke up a bit 2nd half 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Couldn't believe how much room we gave Bannan first half....he is prob prem quality.... definitely championship level player. For their goal there was nobody within 20 yards of him. Also the lad who scored was wide open. DH got the formation wrong today but I'm probably old school and like 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 if we need to grind out a result.  
  • Options
    Just so depressing. No fight, no quality and no idea.

Only a handful of Charlton players wanted to get back into the game in the second half. Easily could have been 3 or 4 down at half-time if it wasn't for AMB/Ness/wasteful Wednesday finishing. Much like the Derby game, opposition teams take the foot off the gas when they know we carry little or no threat going forward. Wednesday tore us apart in the first half and we had no answer to it. Not only are we toothless up front, our defence will regularly not get tight enough or tackle before shots and crosses come in.

Biggest shirker for me was Fraser - looked completely out of it, yet again. Stood around pointing a lot, barely moved out of the centre circle, didn't run and repeatedly gave the ball away. The rest have been poor, but with him, we're carrying him and it's like we're playing with 10 men. Whilst Bannon completely controls the game, this one just passed Fraser by. Like so many others, he's already mentally checked out this season and doesn't care. They may lack the quality, but I'd rather Payne or Morgan came in to that role, as at least they give slightly more effort. He's just been awful recently and I'm so very tired of it.

Turning into completely apathy right now. Only a handful of these players our deserving of our support. The remainder of the season is going to be dead rubber games meaning very little. There will be pockets of victory still to come here and there when Rak-Sakyi (who tried so hard today to try and win) carries us through, but on the whole, it's going to be more of this tosh. These have been some tough games against the better teams, but we just look so awful right now.

Full clear out needed. Holden slowly losing credit after the bounce, but if he was backed, I think he do OK. Meanwhile, we're a total mess off the field and the Sandgaard chants will deservedly continue. We are a mediocre, mid-table L1 team and that is not going to change any time soon without wholesale change.
  • Options
    Just think....during lockdown we would've killed for a season like this....
  • Options
    I see Fleetwood have gone ahead of us, and with an assist from Stockley for the winning goal.

Lavelle started for Burton, Kirk on the bench again.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I just don't see it. The pitch looks fine to me. I can only imagine you didnt witness pitches before Premier League money brought in decent playing surfaces as they would be half mud by end of February. Showed my son the clip of Motty's famous "Ronnie Radford" goal.....mainly mud with some grass out wide. 
    The pitch is in shit nick, and saying it's fine because pitches were worse in 1993 is a ridiculous argument. 
    It’s a league one pitch, watch the hi lights show on TV and ours is not the worst by a long way 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    We weren't in it in the first half but there was at least some fight, even some decent football at times, in the second.

But their quality shone through in all areas; they passed better (Bannon must be the best midfielder in League One) they marked our players well and fouled when they needed to, they kept possession from throw-ins, something that Charlton sides just don't seem to do, and had that killer pass to create chances, something we just don't often see from the likes of CBT, JRS and Fraser. I could go on. 

Leaburn's miss was bad, as was CBT's crossing late in the game when we put some pressure on. We didn't deserve a point put could have nicked one.

• Options

Thought CBT was awful today - he has no idea how to play the defensive part of a wingback’s game. In hindsight it may have been better to play Sess and bring CBT on when the game broke up a bit 2nd half 
    Any manager that cannot not see that CBT would be awful in the defensive part of playing a wingback role should not be a manager.

I think he is being over criticised for trying to play a role that he is obviously not suited to. 

He also created possibly our best chance that brought a good save from their keeper
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Just think....during lockdown we would've killed for a season like this....
    I really dont.