Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Have to say I’m very surprised at the lack of signings at this point, doesn’t bode well.
  • edited June 2023
    MarcusH26 said:
    Still wouldn't be surprised if we made a move for Sam Smith from Cambridge. 
    Condemned  Celebrating Sam Smith puts Queer Sex  Identity

Could do a job for us.

😉🙄
  • ValleyBen said:
    If Holden does not want May then I trust his judgement but seems strange to not go for him unless our budget is still not going to be anything much.

For me if we are serious about getting out of this league quickly, it should not be May or Ladapo(or other experienced quality option) it should be both.

As cannot seriously count Aneke as an option unless a miracle like Innis last summer has happened over this summer and our only striker is still a young player who may still attract offers too good to turn down this summer. 
    How does Holden want to play?  Does that require a player with May's attributes?

How does May score his goals? Do we have, or plan to have, the players that would give May the service he wants and needs?

The we have to sign May, Stockton, Ladapoo because they have scored goals argument is quite easy to make as fans but you can't just get the 11 players you think are the best and expect them to be a good team. 

TBH that's why we have struggled so badly for the last two seasons because we have had an amateur, who thinks he is an expert, making these calls.  
  • meldrew66 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Hopefully any deal to sign Alfie May is just parked until the new owners take charge, I know there can be an obsession in modern football with signings needing to be about a future resale fee but I believe we have lacked a experience & character the last couple of seasons so would be delighted if he joined us. 
    ....hope you are right but if you were May, would you be willing to sit 'parked' pending the resolution of an open-ended takeover? I wouldn't.
    Takeover makes no diff if May was signing it will
    happen with or without a takeover ..
    Then why hasn’t he signed ?
    How do we know we want him ? the source that said he was having a medical said it never happened and that we cooled our interest .. perhaps trying to get Cheltenham to lower their overall package ?
  • edited June 2023
    MarcusH26 said:

Could do a job for us.

The ultimate utility players. 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Martin Sandgaard has had no input for at least a couple of weeks so i have been told.
    Probably why his alleged target Alfie May hasn't signed.
    He never had input in signing players just run reports on the ones he was  given to assess … 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Martin Sandgaard has had no input for at least a couple of weeks so i have been told.
    possibly, also could be that DH doesn't actually want him also
    Or more likely that we can’t afford him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not technically a summer transfer rumour but would affect things. Apparently, Steve Gallen has had an interview for a position at QPR. From what the person told me, it was for the DoF role replacing Les Ferdinand. 
    wouldn't bother me at all, the last couple of years recruitment has been really ropey and always goes back to the same players eg Leko, Bonne etc. Add to that a respected poster on here mentioned Ellis Sims to him and he didn't know who he was. And then Dougie Freeman had to ask him to come and watch Rak Saki who he wanted us to take on loan. Not sure recruitment is his forte.
    I think to be fair he’s been hung out to dry by TS, wondering who will be taking on the role?

MS or Andy Scott?
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    Last couple of years for all the good he has done. Still picks up his pay cheque every bloody month.

Not welcome in SE7 again.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    He never had input in signing players just run reports on the ones he was  given to assess … 
    But his dad said he discovered Fraser....
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Thought it was Dobson?
  • LTKapal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Thought it was Dobson?
    Dobson discovered Fraser...🤔
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    meldrew66 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Hopefully any deal to sign Alfie May is just parked until the new owners take charge, I know there can be an obsession in modern football with signings needing to be about a future resale fee but I believe we have lacked a experience & character the last couple of seasons so would be delighted if he joined us. 
    ....hope you are right but if you were May, would you be willing to sit 'parked' pending the resolution of an open-ended takeover? I wouldn't.
    Yes I would if….

- I was still getting paid by Cheltenham
    - could train with Cheltenham all summer
    - could go somewhere else on deadline day if I had to
    - Charlton were close to my family
    - Charlton were the best club ‘interested’ (with regards to potential salary / success).
    It’s possible the sale has been agreed, and it’s just a question of who pays the fee. If the takeover isn’t completed in time it’ll be Sandgaard. 
    I could be wrong. 
    By the time  the takeover doesn't go ahead it might be too late & May might have gone elsewhere.  Sandgaard will then be left looking like a chump, scrabbling around for another Josh Parker & our season in tatters before it begins. 

WE  NEED  A PROVEN  STRIKER. 

Doesnt matter who the owner is, we can't get by with Leaburn, Chuks &  Kanu. 

Someone has to pay. 
    But Thomas also runs the risk of the takeover not happening and having a massively insufficient squad and being involved in a relegation scrap from day one that will make it almost impossible for him to sell it for anything like what he wants.

I suspect we will sign players, including for small(ish) fees before the take over happens.  Worse case scenario Thomas can flog Miles on the last day to pay for it.
    That's my whole point. We need players (at least one proven striker & a winger to replace JRS) whoever is in charge. If Sandgaard thinks "oh well, not my problem now" then he's got another think coming if the takeover collapses or the EFL block it. The takeover might go through but not for a few months - does Sandgaard expect to start the season with waifs & strays.

madness
  • meldrew66 said:
    ValleyBen said:
    Takeover makes no diff if May was signing it will
    happen with or without a takeover ..
    Then why hasn’t he signed ?
    How do we know we want him ? the source that said he was having a medical said it never happened and that we cooled our interest .. perhaps trying to get Cheltenham to lower their overall package ?
    You may be right about May.
    Me I disagree.
    He may have had a medical with us but he hasn't signed.
    Understandably at his age (30) this is arguably the most important contract (possibly the last) he will sign in his career.  
    He will probably looking at the length and pay of that contract.
    If Charlton, Gillingham  or whoever offer him the best terms its that club he will sign for.
  • ValleyBen said:
    If Holden does not want May then I trust his judgement but seems strange to not go for him unless our budget is still not going to be anything much.

For me if we are serious about getting out of this league quickly, it should not be May or Ladapo(or other experienced quality option) it should be both.

As cannot seriously count Aneke as an option unless a miracle like Innis last summer has happened over this summer and our only striker is still a young player who may still attract offers too good to turn down this summer. 
    May doesn’t really fit how we were playing last season, so unless we change formation I can see why Holden wouldn’t be keen on spending a large chunk of the budget on him. 

Ladapo will only be available late in the window if Ipswich sign strikers themselves, so not one we can get now. Plus we already have Leaburn so does it really make sense to spend big on a striker when there are other areas of the team that need it more. 

If we are changing to 2 up front then of course it’s needed, but if not I think a centre back should be where the priority is for spending a big fee on a player 
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCDAZ said:
    It was just managers he recommended to Daddy 
  • Brownie12 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Could do a job for us.
    His nipples are further apart that our centre backs.
    How do you know how far apart our Centre backs nipples are?
    ITK

• Anyone know who that is on the bench 
  • nagAddick said:

What am I missing??
  • nagAddick said:

Lord Lucan