Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Martin Sandgaard has had no input for at least a couple of weeks so i have been told.
    Yes I believe this to be true! But only the last 10 days or so. He was big issue in players not coming in earlier, Holden is now getting the players he wants.

Heard we will have another through the door this week.
    Why was this ? His black box wasn't interested or players turned us down as we had an inexperienced idiot involved ?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    On May - he is a different type of forward to what Holden wants, he like the traditional number 9 that is big and strong that can play off the shoulder.

May is very much a forward that likes to drop deep and collect the ball. He would also be expensive asset for someone that won’t be a first choice pick. If he was on a free might be a different story.

What happens, since time immemorial is a player who is mobile and can run in behind a defence plays off the shoulder of a big centre forward/central striker/number 9.

As has been proven at Charlton over the last few years even if you play a 4-3-3 the big lad up front needs support.(Stockley's game suffered with no partner) Any coach worth a light would love to work with Miles Leaburn and Alfie May in the Mediocre League 1.

May scored 20 goals in 39 matches because he could get into the box, NOT just collect the ball deep.
    So are all the coaches that play 1 up front not worth a light? 

If you were going to play 433 where would May fit into it?  Surely if you were going to sign him you would want to replicate, and improve, the reasons he scored goals in the first place?  If not why sign him, sign someone that can do what you want them to do, not someone that can do something else?

We have had far too many square pegs in round holes and they become much less effective because of it.

If Holden has a plan and a template for what he wants in each position he should stick to it, even if it doesn't include May.  Adkins and Garner weren't allowed to and look where that got us, and them. 

Has Holden said he doesn't want May ?
    One person said it and everyone runs with the gossip.

I would love it, really love it (👍KK) if we can get better than Alfie May. If not Alfie is a step up on last season. 

I said any manager worth a light would love to work with Leaburn and May in the mediocre League 1. If we don't get a 20 goals in 39 match goalscorer in Alfie May it's because we don't want to pay a fee.

Total madness not to get one of the better players in League 1 if we have the opportunity. 

You have a real hang up with rigidity of formations. Players are not on a stick. 
    I never wanted any of my players to be isolated so they had to link up all over the field. 
    No RB at LB or LB on the Right wing but players moving and covering is the essence of a good team with some goal scorers or else it comes to nowt.

I have no idea what Eddie Howe formation was when they gave that masterclass back in the Championship on the final day of the season but the movement off of Yann was fantastic and the fluidity made a decent Cafc team dizzy with Wilson running in behind and Ritchie and Pugh buzzing everywhere with Francis and Daniels down the flanks and Arter from memory the water carrier in midfield.

May won't be stuck out wide.
    It's not rigidity of formations it's asking players to do what they are capable of, what made them professional players in the first place.  

Even money bags Ipswich found this out, they brought players in because they could.  They bought Scott Fraser because he was good, had no idea what to do with him and stuck him on the left wing, funny enough it didn't work.

Why is May an attractive option?  Because he has scored goals, obviously.  What system was it in, who supplied him, what type of service did he need?  Is he a good enough footballer to "do a job" in a different role/system/style?

If we are going to play 433, with two wide forwards, I can absolutely see why that Holden wouldn't want May, I can also absolutely see that under the current regime Martin would sign him anyway.  Because he has done it before.
  • Could you imagine 

Leaburn - Ladapo
    CBT - Fraser - May - Dobson - Campbell

that would be pretty exciting imo

If I can just finish that team off Matt:
    Leaburn -Ladapo
    CBT -Fraser-May-Dobson- Campbell
    Roberson- Van Dijk - Walker
                Pope

Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack.

The Dogs testicles. 
  • I'm not sure about Ladapo. His highest scoring season was 18 back in 18/19. 14, 11 and 17 since then, the 17 coming in a season where he was part of a brilliant Ipswich team where Conor Chaplin got 26. He's obviously able to score at L1 level, but he's 30 and it's pretty clear that he's not able to do it at Championship level. He's a bit of a quick fix L1 striker but I'm not sure we have an established enough squad to keep getting in short term players all over the pitch. I'd rather we try and aim a bit higher, though I'd be happy enough if we got Ladapo alongside a more upwardly capable striker.
    Ladapo would probably contribute more goals than say Bonne (not a high bar but still) but I think the appeal there would be more what he can bring in terms of supporting Leaburn.

Take some of the physical load off Miles and hopefully he will be more the outright goalscorer type with Ladapo bringing the brawn, in theory. May is a good player, probably better than Ladapo in several ways, but is he better for the team

• edited June 2023
    Next season is significantly weaker then last season thanks to the best run club in the league(Plymouth) and the two biggest spenders all going up, add the ongoing troubles at Reading & Wigan starting on a minus I really hope the new owners if they get their feet under the table in time throw everything they can at promotion, as the new EFL tv deal is only going to start creating a financial gap between League 1 & Championship similar to the gap between the Championship & Premier League.

So totally supportive if it is purely Holden does not want May, as I really like Holden but fingers crossed it is not another tight budget from another set of owners as I would be shocked if Cheltenham manage to get more then 300k upfront for May which is a pittance in comparison to what promotion before the new tv deal kicks in would bring.
  • I'm not sure about Ladapo. His highest scoring season was 18 back in 18/19. 14, 11 and 17 since then, the 17 coming in a season where he was part of a brilliant Ipswich team where Conor Chaplin got 26. He's obviously able to score at L1 level, but he's 30 and it's pretty clear that he's not able to do it at Championship level. He's a bit of a quick fix L1 striker but I'm not sure we have an established enough squad to keep getting in short term players all over the pitch. I'd rather we try and aim a bit higher, though I'd be happy enough if we got Ladapo alongside a more upwardly capable striker.
    Out of interest, who do you want? 
  • I'd take Sam Smith over May or Ladapo.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    On May - he is a different type of forward to what Holden wants, he like the traditional number 9 that is big and strong that can play off the shoulder.

May is very much a forward that likes to drop deep and collect the ball. He would also be expensive asset for someone that won’t be a first choice pick. If he was on a free might be a different story.

What happens, since time immemorial is a player who is mobile and can run in behind a defence plays off the shoulder of a big centre forward/central striker/number 9.

As has been proven at Charlton over the last few years even if you play a 4-3-3 the big lad up front needs support.(Stockley's game suffered with no partner) Any coach worth a light would love to work with Miles Leaburn and Alfie May in the Mediocre League 1.

May scored 20 goals in 39 matches because he could get into the box, NOT just collect the ball deep.

If you were going to play 433 where would May fit into it?  Surely if you were going to sign him you would want to replicate, and improve, the reasons he scored goals in the first place?  If not why sign him, sign someone that can do what you want them to do, not someone that can do something else?

We have had far too many square pegs in round holes and they become much less effective because of it.

If Holden has a plan and a template for what he wants in each position he should stick to it, even if it doesn't include May.  Adkins and Garner weren't allowed to and look where that got us, and them. 

I would love it, really love it (👍KK) if we can get better than Alfie May. If not Alfie is a step up on last season. 

I said any manager worth a light would love to work with Leaburn and May in the mediocre League 1. If we don't get a 20 goals in 39 match goalscorer in Alfie May it's because we don't want to pay a fee.

Total madness not to get one of the better players in League 1 if we have the opportunity. 

You have a real hang up with rigidity of formations. Players are not on a stick. 
    I never wanted any of my players to be isolated so they had to link up all over the field. 
    No RB at LB or LB on the Right wing but players moving and covering is the essence of a good team with some goal scorers or else it comes to nowt.

I have no idea what Eddie Howe formation was when they gave that masterclass back in the Championship on the final day of the season but the movement off of Yann was fantastic and the fluidity made a decent Cafc team dizzy with Wilson running in behind and Ritchie and Pugh buzzing everywhere with Francis and Daniels down the flanks and Arter from memory the water carrier in midfield.

It's not rigidity of formations it's asking players to do what they are capable of, what made them professional players in the first place.  

Even money bags Ipswich found this out, they brought players in because they could.  They bought Scott Fraser because he was good, had no idea what to do with him and stuck him on the left wing, funny enough it didn't work.

Why is May an attractive option?  Because he has scored goals, obviously.  What system was it in, who supplied him, what type of service did he need?  Is he a good enough footballer to "do a job" in a different role/system/style?

If we are going to play 433, with two wide forwards, I can absolutely see why that Holden wouldn't want May, I can also absolutely see that under the current regime Martin would sign him anyway.  Because he has done it before.

This really isn't rocket science:
    Hopefully I can articulate how the 3 forward work best if that is how you want to play.
    If CBT is out wide then say Leaburn and May are closer together around the box and if May had the ball in a wide position on the right, Leaburn would have CBT closer in and around the box. 

If you want to play two wide players in the 3 who mainly stay wide then you need two number 8's (attacking midfielders) to support the central striker. 

I know Bolton didn't make it through the Play offs but I like the way they get players in and around the box when attacking. No one is isolated.
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Martin Sandgaard has had no input for at least a couple of weeks so i have been told.
    Yes I believe this to be true! But only the last 10 days or so. He was big issue in players not coming in earlier, Holden is now getting the players he wants.

Why was this ? His black box wasn't interested or players turned us down as we had an inexperienced idiot involved ?
    Holden gave a list, and Sandgaard kept going back with this a better option in his opinion 

Thanks

What a way to ru(i)n the club, thanks sandgaards you did a great job
    I'm not sure at the moment, I don't know how Holden is planning on setting up. If we're playing with 2 up front then I think May would be a great choice alongside Leaburn. We'd still need a couple more strikers and I'd be fine with Ladapo as a rotation option with Leaburn. If we're playing one up front then you'd imagine Ladapo would be expecting to play in that 9 role a lot, and there would be a lot of pressure on Leaburn to replicate and improve on his first season. I don't know that Ladapo is the best option for that, we have a history of getting less out of strikers not more and I don't think I see him getting 20 goals as our main lone striker. He hasn't done that in better teams than ours and he was eased out of the Ipswich team as the season went on, I think he got 8 goals as a sub. I think he'd be a decent signing as long as we weren't especting him to drag us up and he doesn't feel like a long-term addition. So much boils down to budget and how we're going to play. I like Aaron Collins but it sounds like Bristol Rovers are pricing him insanely. I also rate Sam Nombe in a 2, and Macauley Langstaff, though I think much bigger sharks than us are circling him.
  • Will be interesting to see where Bonne ends up next season . Watching him last season every game I never expected him to score . He eventually broke his duck but rarely have I seen such an ineffective striker.
  • Will be interesting to see where Bonne ends up next season . Watching him last season every game I never expected him to score . He eventually broke his duck but rarely have I seen such an ineffective striker.
    You’re a new fan then, welcome!
  • edited June 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Hopefully I can articulate how the 3 forward work best if that is how you want to play.
    If CBT is out wide then say Leaburn and May are closer together around the box and if May had the ball in a wide position on the right, Leaburn would have CBT closer in and around the box. 

If you want to play two wide players in the 3 who mainly stay wide then you need two number 8's (attacking midfielders) to support the central striker. 

I know Bolton didn't make it through the Play offs but I like the way they get players in and around the box when attacking. No one is isolated.
    Hopefully I can articulate this without being condescending and patronising...

If you want a wide foward who can do that, get a wide foward who can do that.  Don't sign an out amd out striker and expect him to do a completely different job to the one that made him successful.

Not rocket science is it? 

I don't have much choice with you as you always say forwards out wide when you talk about a 3 up front. I always coached one of the 3 forwards to link up with the central striker when the ball wasn't down their flank, if I didn't play 4-4-2 which was my preferred formation depending on players available.

I just can't get my head round that Leaburn and May can't be successful in the same team depending on service. It really shouldn't be as rigid as you say. Leaburn can do wide runs to shake up a Innis type League 1 CB and May (If signs) can spend more time in and around the box where he was so good last season.

Jesus, it's hard enough getting players who improve the team so if May passes his 10th medical ! he will surely benefit the side.

It's getting boring when two posters play tennis so let's bring in better players than the average players who left us in 10th place. 🤞

• Any Aneke news around?
  • I'd take Sam Smith over May or Ladapo.
    Good at holding it up, but not great with his feet

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

That really isn't how you would play with May and CBT. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

But why would you put May there and ask him to be picking the ball up out wide? That's not where he's most effective. I don't understand your use of Bolton as an example, they play with two strikers, which would be a good way to use May. You're essentially saying that you would want Alfie May, a central striker, to play like Rak-Sakyi and CBT have for us, even though he's a completely different player to them. You can ask him to play narrow when the ball is on the other side but it's still playing him out of position and failing to play to his best attributes.
  • edited June 2023
    May might do a good job moving into a more centralised role as we get near the oppo box, but we've got to get there first. And having a player on the left who can't run the ball down the line, or offer any width or help us move up the pitch... isn't going to help us do that. 
  • Valley11 said:
    I'd take Sam Smith over May or Ladapo.

You can't say his feet, don't you know he uses the 'they' pronoun.
  • seth plum said:
    Any Aneke news around?
    Yep. His cast should be off by Christmas 
    Sadly this could be true. Love to see him fit and available again but I am resigned to accepting this won't happen.
    I'm not sure at the moment, I don't know how Holden is planning on setting up. If we're playing with 2 up front then I think May would be a great choice alongside Leaburn. We'd still need a couple more strikers and I'd be fine with Ladapo as a rotation option with Leaburn. If we're playing one up front then you'd imagine Ladapo would be expecting to play in that 9 role a lot, and there would be a lot of pressure on Leaburn to replicate and improve on his first season. I don't know that Ladapo is the best option for that, we have a history of getting less out of strikers not more and I don't think I see him getting 20 goals as our main lone striker. He hasn't done that in better teams than ours and he was eased out of the Ipswich team as the season went on, I think he got 8 goals as a sub. I think he'd be a decent signing as long as we weren't especting him to drag us up and he doesn't feel like a long-term addition. So much boils down to budget and how we're going to play. I like Aaron Collins but it sounds like Bristol Rovers are pricing him insanely. I also rate Sam Nombe in a 2, and Macauley Langstaff, though I think much bigger sharks than us are circling him.
    Can't argue with that, though i thin Ladapo and Leaburn would be an excellent front 2. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Hopefully I can articulate this without being condescending and patronising...

If you want a wide foward who can do that, get a wide foward who can do that.  Don't sign an out amd out striker and expect him to do a completely different job to the one that made him successful.

Not rocket science is it? 

I don't have much choice with you as you always say forwards out wide when you talk about a 3 up front. I always coached one of the 3 forwards to link up with the central striker when the ball wasn't down their flank, if I didn't play 4-4-2 which was my preferred formation depending on players available.

I just can't get my head round that Leaburn and May can't be successful in the same team depending on service. It really shouldn't be as rigid as you say. Leaburn can do wide runs to shake up a Innis type League 1 CB and May (If signs) can spend more time in and around the box where he was so good last season.

Jesus, it's hard enough getting players who improve the team so if May passes his 10th medical ! he will surely benefit the side.

It's getting boring when two posters play tennis so let's bring in better players than the average players who left us in 10th place. 🤞

I never said Leaburn and May couldn't be successful in the same side.

I said you shouldn't buy players because they are good at one thing and ask them to do something completely different.  Not at this level.

If Holden has a template for every place in his squad, like he will have, and May doesn't fit any of them we shouldn't sign him.   If he was already here, or even on a free, it would be different.

People, not just you, are trying to shoehorn a player we haven't signed into all sorts of positions amd roles he doesn't play in. 

It's almost like signing May, or not, has become a test of the ownership, regardless of if Holden actually wants him or not.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

Holden gave a list, and Sandgaard kept going back with this a better option in his opinion 

bingo
  • Valley11 said:
    I'd take Sam Smith over May or Ladapo.

Do you reckon they do this in Extra Large for Chuks? Might help with all the injuries, well aslong as he don't wear the boots