Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• cabbles said:
    If Holden doesn’t see May being a good fit then we have to respect his decision.  I can see why fans would get excited by May.  We’ve had two poor summer windows in a row, here is a player that’s just had a couple of very good seasons and is ‘known’ comparatively speaking, to the majority of us, so on the face of it, it makes sense.  

If Holden has got a determined approach to formation, style of play, tactics and players that fit this approach, and May doesn’t fit that, then he won’t be signing.  The challenge is as always, do we have enough realistic targets across the positions he wants?  

In general, having an identity and style of play is good, but the other end of that spectrum was watching Johnnie Jackson beat us over the head with 3-5-2, and then try and repeat that at AFC Wimbledon- both times with very little success.

Everyone, regardless of what they do in life or work has an approach, and it’s one of the hardest things to be flexible to change.  I am sure this is true of Football managers more than most.  They need a process and a system.  In all my years of watching football, I think only Alex Ferguson genuinely adapted his teams over the years.  That speaks volumes about how football managers think.  You can bet your bottom dollar Allardyce arrived at Leeds for those 4 games and dusted down his blueprint that has been tried and tested over the years 

Agree we have signed players over the last few years based on MS black book stats regardless of how the manager wants to play. It has managers coming in like Adkins and Garner with there hands tied behind their back in some ways.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    On May - he is a different type of forward to what Holden wants, he like the traditional number 9 that is big and strong that can play off the shoulder.

May is very much a forward that likes to drop deep and collect the ball. He would also be expensive asset for someone that won’t be a first choice pick. If he was on a free might be a different story.

What happens, since time immemorial is a player who is mobile and can run in behind a defence plays off the shoulder of a big centre forward/central striker/number 9.

As has been proven at Charlton over the last few years even if you play a 4-3-3 the big lad up front needs support.(Stockley's game suffered with no partner) Any coach worth a light would love to work with Miles Leaburn and Alfie May in the Mediocre League 1.

May scored 20 goals in 39 matches because he could get into the box, NOT just collect the ball deep.
    So are all the coaches that play 1 up front not worth a light? 

If you were going to play 433 where would May fit into it?  Surely if you were going to sign him you would want to replicate, and improve, the reasons he scored goals in the first place?  If not why sign him, sign someone that can do what you want them to do, not someone that can do something else?

We have had far too many square pegs in round holes and they become much less effective because of it.

If Holden has a plan and a template for what he wants in each position he should stick to it, even if it doesn't include May.  Adkins and Garner weren't allowed to and look where that got us, and them. 
  • Sam_777 said:
    Stockley’s game suffered in a 3 because 1. He’s fucking shite & couldn’t hold the ball up to save his life & 2. Physically incapable of doing the job required i.e pressing & channel running because he has the athleticism equivalent to a 75 year old geriatric.  
    Yes that’s the point. Stockley was fine the year before when partnered with Washington, and seems to be doing ok at Fleetwood now he’s partnered with Marriott. Because that suits his game. 

If we are sticking with 4-3-3 and we sign May, then it will probably have similar results with May stuck out wide and us wondering how he scored 20+ goals a season. If we are switching to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 then May would be perfect but if Holden plans to continue with how we played last season there are definitely better ways we can spend that money, on a centre back, left back or winger for starters 
  • Valley11 said:
    Don’t know but that looks like Macauley Bonne in the background… arghhhhh! 👀 😆 
    He'll still be contracted to Charlton until 30th June. 

Still a Charlton player ...... (!)

• CafcSCP said:
    Valley11 said:
    That looks like hector. Proper beard.

Or Joe Ledley re-signing?

You read it here first.  :)

• Will be interesting to see if we bring in a box to box CM or if Holden sees Mcgrandles as being able to fulfill that role in a 433 with Fraser and Dobbo. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Sam_777 said:
    Stockley’s game suffered in a 3 because 1. He’s fucking shite & couldn’t hold the ball up to save his life & 2. Physically incapable of doing the job required i.e pressing & channel running because he has the athleticism equivalent to a 75 year old geriatric.  
    Yes that’s the point. Stockley was fine the year before when partnered with Washington, and seems to be doing ok at Fleetwood now he’s partnered with Marriott. Because that suits his game. 

If we are sticking with 4-3-3 and we sign May, then it will probably have similar results with May stuck out wide and us wondering how he scored 20+ goals a season. If we are switching to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 then May would be perfect but if Holden plans to continue with how we played last season there are definitely better ways we can spend that money, on a centre back, left back or winger for starters 
    3 in 18 suggests he is doing worse than ok
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    On May - he is a different type of forward to what Holden wants, he like the traditional number 9 that is big and strong that can play off the shoulder.

May is very much a forward that likes to drop deep and collect the ball. He would also be expensive asset for someone that won’t be a first choice pick. If he was on a free might be a different story.
    Ladapo fits that description.
  • NabySarr said:
    Sam_777 said:

Stockley was a weird one. He was also very good playing on his own up front initially for Adkins. 5 goals and 2 assists playing on his own with Millar, Maatsen and DJ playing as his wingers. The next season it was DJ, Washington or Kirk and he looked like he'd never seen his own legs before. Was then decent in a two up front for Jackson but then terrible even in a two for Garner. The bloke was all over the place.
  • edited June 2023
    It is possible that the back injury made Stockley a lesser player.
  • edited June 2023
    Jayden never had the physical or technical attributes to lead the line in a 433. I was surprised when we made that deal permanent. Not because he hadn't scored goals for us initially, but because he would clearly struggle in that role. That we didn't rectify the problem in following summers was just a continuation of our lack of joined up thinking in recruitment.

That's without even mentioning building for a 'high-pressing' game with Jayden and Scott Fraser leading the spine down the middle to perform it!
  • nagAddick said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Ladapo fits that description.
    But won’t be free.
  • Jayden was shit and the 20 goal season just flattered him. He is not a 20 goal a season striker, not in my eyes anyway. I rather see another player similar in stature to Leaburn. Big, strong and athletic. Ideally someone like Clark Harris as we aint getting him I don't believe 
  • Chunes said:
    Jayden never had the physical or technical attributes to lead the line in a 433. I was surprised when we made that deal permanent. Not because he hadn't scored goals for us initially, but because he would clearly struggle in that role. That we didn't rectify the problem in following summers was just a continuation of our lack of joined up thinking in recruitment.

That's without even mentioning building for a 'high-pressing' game with Jayden and Scott Fraser leading the spine down the middle to perform it!
    Don’t forget trying to play out from the back with Inniss and/or Lavelle at CB 
  • I have always said buy the best centre forward you can, and then pick a team that can play to his strengths.
    We are fortunate to have Leaburn who is better than we could afford. 
    No doubt we will all have a view of what formation and type of player would be best, and if we cracked that it would give us a fair idea of the players Holden will be looking for.

The formation I would go 3-5-2 as I think he would benefit from a player closer to him.
    The second striker is a hard one and I haven’t come up with a player I would want, but a fast player running in behind. A younger Conner Washington. We do have Kanu and I think he would look better more centrally, but he is not ready for a whole season IMO.

What would be exciting is May at the top of a diamond midfield and Ladapo and Leaburn up front. Should score a few!

• Chunes said:
    Jayden never had the physical or technical attributes to lead the line in a 433. 
    Agree with that. 

Very limited footballer and struggle to do anything more than hold the ball or win headers. Then after his back injury he seemed to lose those remaining attributes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Could you imagine 

Leaburn - Ladapo
    CBT - Fraser - May - Dobson - Campbell

that would be pretty exciting imo
    Exciting but leave us far too open defensively.

Does May ever play in midfield? I thought he was an out and out striker?
    Wingers as wing backs and a striker in midfield, who we having as a back 3 amd keeper? 

Why would you spend any, of what ever will be a finite budget on a striker to play him in midfield and not buy a midfielder?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Could you imagine 

Leaburn - Ladapo

Wingers as wing backs and a striker in midfield, who we having as a back 3 amd keeper? 

Why would you spend any, of what ever will be a finite budget on a striker to play him in midfield and not buy a midfielder?
    May is naturally a deeper lying forward. With Leaburn and Lapado both strong strikers and May slightly behind (CAM) position we could score and create hell of a lot of goals 
  • edited June 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

What happens, since time immemorial is a player who is mobile and can run in behind a defence plays off the shoulder of a big centre forward/central striker/number 9.

As has been proven at Charlton over the last few years even if you play a 4-3-3 the big lad up front needs support.(Stockley's game suffered with no partner) Any coach worth a light would love to work with Miles Leaburn and Alfie May in the Mediocre League 1.

May scored 20 goals in 39 matches because he could get into the box, NOT just collect the ball deep.
    So are all the coaches that play 1 up front not worth a light? 

If you were going to play 433 where would May fit into it?  Surely if you were going to sign him you would want to replicate, and improve, the reasons he scored goals in the first place?  If not why sign him, sign someone that can do what you want them to do, not someone that can do something else?

We have had far too many square pegs in round holes and they become much less effective because of it.

If Holden has a plan and a template for what he wants in each position he should stick to it, even if it doesn't include May.  Adkins and Garner weren't allowed to and look where that got us, and them. 

Has Holden said he doesn't want May ?
    One person said it and everyone runs with the gossip.

I would love it, really love it (👍KK) if we can get better than Alfie May. If not Alfie is a step up on last season. 

I said any manager worth a light would love to work with Leaburn and May in the mediocre League 1. If we don't get a 20 goals in 39 match goalscorer in Alfie May it's because we don't want to pay a fee.

Total madness not to get one of the better players in League 1 if we have the opportunity. 

You have a real hang up with rigidity of formations. Players are not on a stick. 
    I never wanted any of my players to be isolated so they had to link up all over the field. 
    No RB at LB or LB on the Right wing but players moving and covering is the essence of a good team with some goal scorers or else it comes to nowt.

I have no idea what Eddie Howe formation was when they gave that masterclass back in the Championship on the final day of the season but the movement off of Yann was fantastic and the fluidity made a decent Cafc team dizzy with Wilson running in behind and Ritchie and Pugh buzzing everywhere with Francis and Daniels down the flanks and Arter from memory the water carrier in midfield.

May won't be stuck out wide.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Will be interesting to see if we bring in a box to box CM or if Holden sees Mcgrandles as being able to fulfill that role in a 433 with Fraser and Dobbo. 

Not sure about interesting, disastrous more like  :o
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Could you imagine 

Leaburn - Ladapo

May is naturally a deeper lying forward. With Leaburn and Lapado both strong strikers and May slightly behind (CAM) position we could score and create hell of a lot of goals 
    Or more likely with two strikers in front of him there would always be someone occupying the space he plays in and scores his goals from and it would be a total mess. He'd also offer nothing defensively so we'd be relying on Dobson and Fraser to run our midfield, something they've struggled to do even with a third midfielder alongside them
  • Scoham said:
    Could you imagine 

Leaburn - Ladapo

I’d at least include a goal keeper as well. Fck it put me down for a few defenders too. 
  • edited June 2023
    Sam_777 said:

Are you Jayden's agent 😂
    The same player who scored 20 goals in all competitions the season before despite missing about 10 games through injury.
    He lost all confidence and was so desperate to get away he went up north to Fleetwood. A year before he said to me he would spend the rest of his career down south !
    Sad to see a player fall away like that. 
  • Stewart said:
    Valley11 said:
    Oh my. You are right. 
    It isn't Bonne.