Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Holden should use fraser how Carsley uses Angel Gomes for the Young Lions
  • edited July 2023
    Idk, I think a midfield two of Dobson and Fraser worked better last season than a three of them plus one other did, on the whole. (This largely because that one other was usually ineffective, but also because in a two Fraser was forced to work and Dobson was forced to make play) 
  • sam3110 said:
    So you admit they play different roles, then try to compare the two. 

For parts of last season Fraser was shit, and Dobson was still dragging the team through. Fraser is a luxury player and, let's be honest here, easily replaced by many decent ball playing midfielders that aren't the most mobile. 

Dobson is a lot harder to replace, the bloke has one of the highest tackle/block success rates in the whole of the football league, and has that thing no statsheet will tell you, natural leadership.

Dobson is more influential to the team overall and the way we play, and therefore more important. 
    Dobson on his own is not effective at all. He'll win the ball back yes but without an outlet or some support he's going to do nothing useful in attacking terms. He's really good at one specific thing... and honestly, that's about it.

Fraser is the same but the other way around. If we're in possession and he has the ball, he's by far the most likely to do something useful. But if the other team have all the ball, he's basically a passenger.

Bit ultimately neither is enough ON THEIR OWN. And for whatever reason as a two they do not seem to have clicked either but that's due to the flaws in both, not either one carrying the other.

You could replace either or both with a more "generic" box to box type and probably the result would be the same. Or better yet, complement BOTH of them with a player like Gilbey was supposed to be but never managed to become.
  • sam3110 said:

For parts of last season Fraser was shit, and Dobson was still dragging the team through. Fraser is a luxury player and, let's be honest here, easily replaced by many decent ball playing midfielders that aren't the most mobile. 

Dobson is a lot harder to replace, the bloke has one of the highest tackle/block success rates in the whole of the football league, and has that thing no statsheet will tell you, natural leadership.

Dobson is more influential to the team overall and the way we play, and therefore more important. 
    You can compare two different player types by their contribution to the team.  
  • edited July 2023
    sam3110 said:

My original post said, if I had to pick one to stay it would be Fraser, I then outlined exactly why I prefer Fraser and think we have more potential as a team with Fraser over Dobbo. 

They play different roles yes as they both excel in one area more than the other, I don't believe both can exist on the same pitch (if our target is autos) as midfield is one of our weaker areas, in a situation where one has to go, I am picking Fraser to stay as I think he is harder to replace than Dobson. 

Fraser was far from shit and I'd argue Fraser had more influence based on the fact he contributes more to our goals. As for leadership I don't think Dobson has that quality, he's a team player and a fans favourite because he's a 100%er but I don't see him organising us on the pitch and being as vocal as previous captains such as Pearce and Jackson, he just doesn't strike me as that character, which is why I said I'd like to see more from him this season. 

So in a nutshell, yes I've compared two midfielders and I think one is better than the other
  • Sponsored links:

• I would echo what somebody said already….play a decent player alongside the pair of them and they will work! The quality of player alongside them has been awful.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Despite being wholly unrealistic and potentially very pointless :lol: I’d love for us to sign…

Sessegnon, Edun, Camara, Dack, and Clarke-Harris plus another 3 very good loan players with one or two being top youngsters from the Premier League.

Then we can sell Kirk and DJ, maybe McGrandles. Loan out Chin, Kanu, and maybe Henry for 6 months.

Then we can have a team looking like:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

AMB/Isted, Sessegnon, Thomas, Camara, Payne, CBT, Leaburn

Elewere, Mitchell, Asiimwe, Campbell, Aneke all pushing for the squad/fitness.

This is also still without the 3 top loan players too.

Guaranteed goals with May and Clarke-Harris, and Dack and Fraser behind. Got pace out wide and off the bench with CBT, and more goals from the bench with Leaburn.

Promotion here we come! :smiley:
    Would say 3 out of the 5 could be in a Charlton shirt next year.
    Edun, Camara and Dack?
  • cafc_se7 said:
    I would echo what somebody said already….play a decent player alongside the pair of them and they will work! The quality of player alongside them has been awful.
    This 100% last season we didn’t have a decent 3rd member to make up our midfield im hoping we aren’t making the same mistake again and thinking Henry could be the missing link
  • If we brought in Camara and Dack, or something similar, I think it would work in reinforcing the midfield and give us options with games and covering injuries. For example, we have no Leaburn at the start of the season so we could play Dack and Fraser in front of Camara and Dobson with May up front. That is quality for League One. But also, we have an extra player if one of Camara, Dack and Fraser is injured down the line. I'd keep McGrandles as cover for Dobbo.

The thing is, we need a side that can beat the best teams in the league but also a side that can beat the lesser teams. We ended last season with a team largely capable of that. The side that can do that can be a bit weaker than our best side. Payne can do a job off the bench or even cover effectively in the games against the lesser sides.
  • Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    Despite being wholly unrealistic and potentially very pointless :lol: I’d love for us to sign…

Sessegnon, Edun, Camara, Dack, and Clarke-Harris plus another 3 very good loan players with one or two being top youngsters from the Premier League.

Then we can sell Kirk and DJ, maybe McGrandles. Loan out Chin, Kanu, and maybe Henry for 6 months.

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Guaranteed goals with May and Clarke-Harris, and Dack and Fraser behind. Got pace out wide and off the bench with CBT, and more goals from the bench with Leaburn.

Edun, Camara and Dack?
    Sessegnon rather than Dack perhaps?
  • I think we need a couple of marquee signings and midfield is the obvious place we need them in. We are a bit exposed attacking wise but getting a marquee signing there may be a bit expensive so a young loanee may be the best we can do. May was a great signing.
  • Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

I'd be more than happy if we got Sess,Edun and Camara. Striker I'm not sure what to expect really bar it not being JCH because MacAnthony will be demanding a daft price 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

I'd be more than happy if we got Sess,Edun and Camara. Striker I'm not sure what to expect really bar it not being JCH because MacAnthony will be demanding a daft price 
    Think you can think one off that list tomorrow.. maybe one other tomorrow as well. But let’s see. Name has been mentioned on here, personally I am not sure he would be a good signing, but is linked with the Championship move, so let’s see
    Presumably that’s Camará with the Wednesday link 
  • Sponsored links:

• We do love ex-players…apparently dijksteel is available for loan from Boro. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

Think you can think one off that list tomorrow.. maybe one other tomorrow as well. But let’s see. Name has been mentioned on here, personally I am not sure he would be a good signing, but is linked with the Championship move, so let’s see
    What does that even mean?
  • edited July 2023
    Leuth said:
    Idk, I think a midfield two of Dobson and Fraser worked better last season than a three of them plus one other did, on the whole. (This largely because that one other was usually ineffective, but also because in a two Fraser was forced to work and Dobson was forced to make play) 
    They played together in a 442 and didn't pull up trees last season, certainly not enough to make you think "top 6".  Sometimes they were good, sometimes times they were bad.

I'll be quite clear that I don't think either of them are the problem, I just don't think both of them are the solution either.

IMO you need to build your midfield around Fraser to get you most bang for your buck out of him.  He isn't good enough to warrant buying two other midfielders to do that.

If you had a really good team you wouldn't need Dobson in it.

I would honestly have 2 more CM really high on my "need" list.

• Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?
    Hector, Ness and May.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    They played together in a 442 and didn't pull up trees last season, certainly not enough to make you think "top 6".  Sometimes they were good, sometimes times they were bad.

I'll be quite clear that I don't think either of them are the problem, I just don't think both of them are the solution either.

IMO you need to build your midfield around Fraser to get you most bang for your buck out of him.  He isn't good enough to warrant buying two other midfielders to do that.

If you had a really good team you wouldn't need Dobson in it.

I would honestly have 2 more CM really high on my "need" list.

Pretty sure that 4-4-2 run was our best run of the season. Fraser and Dobson both played very well in it. Problem was Leaburn got injured so we had to play Kirk up front or change back to 4-3-3

Fraser just needs to be more consistent. So many times last season he had 5 games where he was brilliant then went missing for the next 5 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

Edun was recently linked with Cardiff 👀 
  • mendonca said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

What does that even mean?
    Presume Dubai meant tick one off the list so one of Sess, Edun or Camara expected to sign tomorrow. 
    Thanks, either fat thumbs, or 1 too many beers
  • Addick_8 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Rudders22 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:

Isted/AMB
    Ness Hector Jones
    Egbo Dobson Fraser Edun
    Dack
    May Clarke-Harris

Edun, Camara and Dack?

Edun was recently linked with Cardiff 👀 
    Fair play if they pay his 12k a week wage