Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• I don’t buy into we’re waiting to get the right player (striker). I think we’ve moved on to our fifth and sixth choices or even just whoever is out there. Scott has a lot of experience but this screams of being nieve. Still time but as already said. The clock is ticking.
    We are still hoping to get our number one target and our number two target the offer still on the table … 
  • I don’t buy into we’re waiting to get the right player (striker). I think we’ve moved on to our fifth and sixth choices or even just whoever is out there. Scott has a lot of experience but this screams of being nieve. Still time but as already said. The clock is ticking.
    We are still hoping to get our number one target and our number two target the offer still on the table … 
    And when we don’t get those by the end of the window we are left with ……..
  • Smithy said:
    Don't see how Exeter are being unreasonable at all. If they feel Nombe could be the difference between survival and relegation, then to them he is worth, at the very least, whatever they'd lose by having a season in League Two. £500k was never going to be accepted for a player like him. 
    The cynic in me believes that we may well have made a bid of 500k(possibly 600), but all the time knowing that it would never be accepted. Makes the new regime look like they are talking the talk and backing it up with action.
    The reality however.....
    I have always said I'm sure something like this happens.

Chairman of club A speaks to chairman of club B. They discuss letting the media know that Club A are interested in a player of club B. Club B can then put the story out of how they have rebuffed club A & wont be selling their star player. 

Upshot is.......Chairman of club A can say "look, we put a good offer in for player x but club B wont sell. We have done our best"

Chairman of club B can say "we have held onto our best player, aren't we wonderful"

Wun/win. Both clubs come out smelling like roses. 

Fwiw.

I don't think we will be signing Nombe, JCH or Ladapo. We have made our "marque" signing with Alfie May. 

Any striker signing will be a Premier League/Championship youngster on loan. Or a old lag who doesn't mind a bit part role & happy to come off the bench for 15/20 mins as he's on his last legs.
    I'd actually prefer the young loanee. I'm not saying that every loanee that we have had has been a roaring success, two that we signed in the January window wouldn't be considered roaring successes but when you look back there have been some notable success stories. Cullen, Saki, Bielek would certainly be standouts. Signing a proper dud on a permanent is always risky because at the level we are at, but we do have a good reputation in helping youngsters develop, Maatsen and Millar are two that come to mind. 
  • Smithy said:
    Don't see how Exeter are being unreasonable at all. If they feel Nombe could be the difference between survival and relegation, then to them he is worth, at the very least, whatever they'd lose by having a season in League Two. £500k was never going to be accepted for a player like him. 
    The cynic in me believes that we may well have made a bid of 500k(possibly 600), but all the time knowing that it would never be accepted. Makes the new regime look like they are talking the talk and backing it up with action.
    The reality however.....
    That thought crossed my mind as well
  • Just throwing a name out there as a young championship loan striker - Dom Ballard at Southampton , very highly thought of at youth level but unlikely to get much of a chance in Southamptons first team. 
  • Thought someone in the know claimed we were meant to be signing a striker before Saturday, have we and I missed it? I think the deadline for him to play on Saturday has now passed.
    It wouldn't matter really...whoever we signed would be the wrong striker anyway and would be "shit" from the get go according to some on here. 
    I would expect us to have many irons in the fire, but I wouldn't throw the first iron out if they're still available. 
  • Over 3 weeks since the last transfer announcement, surely something has to be announced today, even if it's just a PL loan. 

If nothing else, the squad must need a bit of a boost from a new face, never mind the fans, as I'm sure they're getting concerned. 
    To be honest, the players job doesn't change regardless of who does or doesn't come in. They just have to get on with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Now on the correct thread... 

Seeing as people want to rush into a decision is Bogle available? Cos that's the kind of player you end up with when you rush to sign players. 

I know it's annoying but we need to make sure we get the right players. 
    No, that's the kind of player you end up with when you fuck around all of the window & on the last day you're still trying to sign a striker.
    Not what happened at all. 
  • Thought someone in the know claimed we were meant to be signing a striker before Saturday, have we and I missed it? I think the deadline for him to play on Saturday has now passed.
    It wouldn't matter really...whoever we signed would be the wrong striker anyway and would be "shit" from the get go according to some on here. 
    ...and probably getting over an injury with having to "manage his minutes"...again!!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    sam3110 said:
    Lowe is living off a purple patch with Swansea 3 seasons ago, where he scored 7 goals in as many games, then didn't score at all in 3 months, then he scored 5 in 5 (including 2 against the scum) at the end of the season. 
    We get a rumour and within five minutes we have someone writing him off. Sad  🤣🤣
    More like a name thrown out to stop people complaining about the lack of movement in the transfer window. 

Throw in a fake bid well under valuation and we can pretend they tried. 
    You are a happy old soul! 
    Any word on where that saved money in January went? Asking for a friend. 
    Saved money?
    You say we're tight on the wages budget - 

In January we let these wages go: 

Stockley, MacGillivray, Forster-Caskey, O'Connell

From January we've kept these wages: 

Hector. 

This summer we've let 9 go and brought in 6. Why are the wages an issue? 
    I assume we’ve paid May loads of money .  Unless he’s crap and nobody else wanted him 
  • Over 3 weeks since the last transfer announcement, surely something has to be announced today, even if it's just a PL loan. 

If nothing else, the squad must need a bit of a boost from a new face, never mind the fans, as I'm sure they're getting concerned. 
    To be honest, the players job doesn't change regardless of who does or doesn't come in. They just have to get on with it.
    But they're only human. If May and Camara were for example promised we would be building a strong squad to target promotion, they'd be getting a bit twitchy wondering if they've signed up for a mid table slog.

But they're only human. If May and Camara were for example promised we would be building a strong squad to target promotion, they'd be getting a bit twitchy wondering if they've signed up for a mid table slog.
    Oh no I get that but ultimately they have a job to do. At this point in time they can only win games with the players they have got, not the ones we might get.
  • Who starts all these rumours ? This player that player, or is it a case of who is available and wishful  thinking 
    Any news on our number three target?
  • https://youtu.be/pvS1jsehDSE

I would love us to do something like this, find it fascinating and I would love to know who we miss out on etc 

Does anyone remember the other one that was similar to this? Think it was Chris Wilder at Sheffield United?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    I don’t buy into we’re waiting to get the right player (striker). I think we’ve moved on to our fifth and sixth choices or even just whoever is out there. Scott has a lot of experience but this screams of being nieve. Still time but as already said. The clock is ticking.
    And when we don’t get those by the end of the window we are left with ……..
    Our number 3 target. FFS you can count can't you?

You may think you are very clever young man but It's turtles turtles turtles all the way down.
  • edited August 2023
  • sam3110 said:
    I don’t buy into we’re waiting to get the right player (striker). I think we’ve moved on to our fifth and sixth choices or even just whoever is out there. Scott has a lot of experience but this screams of being nieve. Still time but as already said. The clock is ticking.
    Not naïve really if others don't play ball. As said before it's fine and well saying "go sign xxxx" but you need to reach an agreement with the club selling, the player themselves, the agent and they have to pass the no dickheads rule and a medical. 

Might do all of that and fall down on the medical, like Dabo. Might do all of that but the selling team can't find a replacement first, like Ladapo. Might do all of that but the fee they ask for is too much cos they don't need to sell, like Nombe. Might do all of that and at the last minute the players boyhood club suddenly has their embargo lifted for just 5 days and in that time they swoop in and sign him, like Smith.
    That is a lot of bad luck.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde.....to lose one striker looks unfortunate, to lose 2 seems like carelessness.

I wonder what losing 3 is.......stupidity ???
  • Will be the ideal replacement for Kane but not yet. Needs another season at Brighton, score a load of goals, then leave.
    But he might get injured ;-)
    They won’t get £120M though, no way. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-barnsley-submit-bid-for-afc-wimbledon-star-al-hamadi/

Barnsley have had a bid rejected for Ali Al-Hamadi from AFC Wimbledon, wonder if he's someone we're looking at too. 
    Definitely, 6'2, versatile, only young and looking like one of the better players in league 2. 

Wouldn't want to break the bank though, should be a low 6 digit sum and a sell on I reckon.
    Wimbledon will want more than that. They are a good club for holding out for decent fees. They received good fees for Rudoni and Assal last season, plus rejected 7 figures for Jack Currie. So they are under no pressure to sell and will hold out for a big fee 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    NabySarr said:
    Dubai mentioned FFP on here, Reams has now mentioned ‘risk of embargo’ on the other forum. I hope I’m wrong but it does feel like we are starting to hear the excuses already. And we can assume that it’s a message that’s probably come from the owners if it’s those 2 both saying it. Again I really hope I’m wrong but it doesn’t look great and for me it’s not a good enough excuse when they did due diligence so knew the situation they were walking into.

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5. Because it does seem silly that they would overpay for the club and then not back it properly in the first summer, so hopefully just a coincidence that both posters have mentioned it recently 

Well they've both been pushing the owners/methven line all along so doubt this is a coincidence especially as it's not true as long as the investors throw a few quid in the pot 
    Transfer fees are not an issue as I understand, it is the wages that could push us over, so it is trying to get some off the books. 

They will not risk any FFP buying throwing heaps of cash at it, there is money to spend, but it has to be right.

It will not be the Ipswich and Wigan method, which has been said right from the start. By the time of the end of the window, I believe will we have a good squad in place. 
    If the owners have the kind of money you mention on a separate thread why not just pay off the contracts and get rid of the deadwood so that we can buy replacements? May work out more costly keeping the unwanted players around and missing promotion for another season. 
  • I too enjoy burning my own money.
    Burning more money spending another year in league 1 then you will paying a couple of players contracts off. 
  • I too enjoy burning my own money.
    If you can't stand the heat..........