Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Croydon said:
    th0rryy said:
    Anyone else concerned that Cosgrove's record in English football (including quite a few games in non league) is 16 goals in 126 games?
    Not massively, because in the short-term, I would want a striker like him to come in and enable the other players.

May has been struggling for support all season. Kanu tried to be the target man against Port Vale, but that's not his natural game and will struggle against seasoned 6ft+ CBs in L1. Cosgrove should add the height, strength and hold-up play that we desperately lack. Yes, adding goals to that should be a priority, but both May and Kanu would benefit from someone like him in the team.
    Getting a body in should have been a priority weeks ago. If we've spent this long dawdling over targets and Cosgrove is the best we can come up with, that is a massive disappointment.
    Hindsight is 20/20. I can only assume they wanted to start the season with May and Leaburn, but we clearly needed cover for Leaburn (in the form of another striker to hold the play up) even before he got injured, because Aneke is such a non-factor. Holden and Scott are not stupid and anyone with any sense could have seen we were dangerously light in that regard, but here we are. There's probably a bunch of factors here - not limited to agents, money and holding out for the best deal.

Honestly, I'd happily take Cosgrove right now because we need someone like him in and quickly. He would make a difference and was part of the Plymouth team that went up. With ~10 days left of the window and the fact that we are haemorrhaging points already, we're in a bad position and we take what we can. He'd add a target for our (admittedly terribad) set pieces and, hopefully, reduce pressure on our defenders by holding play up. I'd rather have someone in like him than not, purely because we are running out of time and potentially options.
  • Swisdom said:
    I think there will be a flurry of activity as we near the closing of the window. Premier League teams will be frantic trying to secure homes for some of their players and I'm sure we'll be in the mix.

I really do think some of the pant pissing i've seen for the last few days is hugely premature.  Talk of Holden not being the right man, the new owners being potless etc. all very very premature but not unexpected given our recent experiences with ownership.

It's been a crap couple of weeks.  Silly defeats and conceding basic goals or committing silly errors but that's coincided with a bad run of injuries.  The perfect storm you could say.  We were unlucky against The Posh, we should never have lost to Port Vale or Bristol - but those fine margins can have a massive effect on morale as it clearly has amongst the fans.  Such fine margins but really no need to press the panic button just yet - remember it's taken 10-12 years to bring this club to it's knees so getting it back upright is not a five minute job

Totally agree
  • If Cosgrove does come in it won’t be a cheap loan. In fact I reckon it’s going to be expensive. If he’s a striker costing us a fair whack in wages and a loan fee then as far as I’m concerned he needs to be chipping in with around 15 goals. 
  • A name that I don't know if it could be realistic but does have experience at this level as a striker - Tyreece John-Jules from Arsenal , been on loan at this level for the past 3 seasons with mixed results due to a few injuries- looks nowhere near Arsenal's first team so could be available on a permanent as he's 22? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Cosgrove would be absolutely fine as an option to have , realistically Miles is going to get knocks and need resting from time to time so a target man does make sense. Not too fussed about Cosgrove's scoring record as long as he can get 5-10 for us. 
    If we do go down the Cosgrove route and we don’t sign another striker (along with the 4/5 others we need) then the low end of the table is where we can expect to be come next April/May. I don’t think he’s awful and I think he would ‘improve’ us but this is against us currently having one fit striker and another two who are still developing. 
  • Charlton Owners 🤝 Not giving our fans a squad that can compete properly 
  • mart77 said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Cosgrove would be absolutely fine as an option to have , realistically Miles is going to get knocks and need resting from time to time so a target man does make sense. Not too fussed about Cosgrove's scoring record as long as he can get 5-10 for us. 
    If we do go down the Cosgrove route and we don’t sign another striker (along with the 4/5 others we need) then the low end of the table is where we can expect to be come next April/May. I don’t think he’s awful and I think he would ‘improve’ us but this is against us currently having one fit striker and another two who are still developing. 

Yeah I'm hoping Cosgrove isn't the only striker we bring in , regardless of the flashes we've seen from Kanu I'd like to think it will ultimately be 2 strikers in. Maybe another smaller pacey option that could also play wide in a 433 if needed 
  • Sponsored links:

• th0rryy said:
    Croydon said:
    th0rryy said:
    Anyone else concerned that Cosgrove's record in English football (including quite a few games in non league) is 16 goals in 126 games?
    Not massively, because in the short-term, I would want a striker like him to come in and enable the other players.

May has been struggling for support all season. Kanu tried to be the target man against Port Vale, but that's not his natural game and will struggle against seasoned 6ft+ CBs in L1. Cosgrove should add the height, strength and hold-up play that we desperately lack. Yes, adding goals to that should be a priority, but both May and Kanu would benefit from someone like him in the team.
    Getting a body in should have been a priority weeks ago. If we've spent this long dawdling over targets and Cosgrove is the best we can come up with, that is a massive disappointment.
    Hindsight is 20/20. I can only assume they wanted to start the season with May and Leaburn, but we clearly needed cover for Leaburn (in the form of another striker to hold the play up) even before he got injured, because Aneke is such a non-factor. Holden and Scott are not stupid and anyone with any sense could have seen we were dangerously light in that regard, but here we are. There's probably a bunch of factors here - not limited to agents, money and holding out for the best deal.

Honestly, I'd happily take Cosgrove right now because we need someone like him in and quickly. He would make a difference and was part of the Plymouth team that went up. With ~10 days left of the window and the fact that we are haemorrhaging points already, we're in a bad position and we take what we can. He'd add a target for our (admittedly terribad) set pieces and, hopefully, reduce pressure on our defenders by holding play up. I'd rather have someone in like him than not, purely because we are running out of time and potentially options.
    Leaburn was injured first match of pre-season. If we just wanted a body in, we should have done that within a week or two.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

I don't need to read the link because it's all be said before.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Good luck with that one.
  • edited August 2023
    CafcWest said:
    MrBurns said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    100% everyone needs to read it. This is another false dawn and no one is coming into save us. I'm confident these investors aren't putting in a single penny in for transfers. Will be interesting to see if the wages are paid on time in the coming months. 
    What was the point of spending £12 million in the first place ? Serious question because I can’t get my head around it.
    Yes agree...but has anyone actually seen any real evidence that they paid that?  Did they pay anything?
    Yes they definitely did pay SOMETHING because Sandgaard was playing silly buggers with two lots of potential buyers trying to maximise his cut/minimise his losses and eventually got this lot at second attempt.

12mill is pure speculation but I can't see there being no money involved at all.
  • Don’t understand why people are anti Cosgrove, we desperately need someone in at least until Leaburn returns, and Cosgrove played half a season last year for a side promoted from our division whilst we floundered in mid table.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if he looked at us and said er no thanks.
  • Swisdom said:
    I think there will be a flurry of activity as we near the closing of the window. Premier League teams will be frantic trying to secure homes for some of their players and I'm sure we'll be in the mix.

I really do think some of the pant pissing i've seen for the last few days is hugely premature.  Talk of Holden not being the right man, the new owners being potless etc. all very very premature but not unexpected given our recent experiences with ownership.

It's been a crap couple of weeks.  Silly defeats and conceding basic goals or committing silly errors but that's coincided with a bad run of injuries.  The perfect storm you could say.  We were unlucky against The Posh, we should never have lost to Port Vale or Bristol - but those fine margins can have a massive effect on morale as it clearly has amongst the fans.  Such fine margins but really no need to press the panic button just yet - remember it's taken 10-12 years to bring this club to it's knees so getting it back upright is not a five minute job
    I agree we have been unlucky, as you would think the red cards would have changed the nature of last two games. Hope you are right, but it is not pant pissing to say that they have left us short for the start of the season. We might have got something from those games if the squad wasn't so threadbare. Even with the injuries, there are key positions that have not been filled. 

Unless it was their plan to hope we got some points before the squad was complete, it shows a real lack of planning or ability to react to the situation that there have been no signings since just after takeover. Possibly the funds aren't there. 

Think the criticism of Holden is valid imo, not sure he the tactical ability to switch it up beyond alternating between 352 and 433. Plus our play seems to be limited to two outlets, CBT's pace and May running off the shoulder.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    If as you suggest his MO is to get Charlton promoted without any cost to himself then actually I need it explaining to me why that’s a bad thing. If his ambitions align with that of the club I don’t see a problem. It does of course fall over if he doesn’t achieve the promotion but as long as he does I’m actually on board with it. 
  • The pant wetting was always going to spread from our back 5 (or 6) to the fans!
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

I agree we have been unlucky, as you would think the red cards would have changed the nature of last two games. Hope you are right, but it is not pant pissing to say that they have left us short for the start of the season. We might have got something from those games if the squad wasn't so threadbare. Even with the injuries, there are key positions that have not been filled. 

Unless it was their plan to hope we got some points before the squad was complete, it shows a real lack of planning or ability to react to the situation that there have been no signings since just after takeover. Possibly the funds aren't there. 

Think the criticism of Holden is valid imo, not sure he the tactical ability to switch it up beyond alternating between 352 and 433. Plus our play seems to be limited to two outlets, CBT's pace and May running off the shoulder.
    We have actually created more from open play than any league 1 team other than Bolton. I’m not concerned about us going forward at all, we are creating chances and once we add a new striker/Leaburn returns we will have another outlet and might actually start putting away some of the chances we are creating. 

It’s also quite hard to judge Holden’s tactical ability when he has such a lack of options, I’m convinced we would have won on Saturday and probably Tuesday if we had some decent options on the bench. Only having 2 formations is fine, that’s 1 more than a lot of teams need, and we’ve also gone to 4-4-2 chasing games this season. 

My main concern is set pieces, Holden said this was a priority to improve and that we started work on it early in pre-season. But we are statistically the worst team in the league at them. Adding more height to the team with Leaburn/Cosgrove might help but it’s still worrying how bad we are at them. 
  • Anyone else concerned that Cosgrove's record in English football (including quite a few games in non league) is 16 goals in 126 games?
    Na not really, it's a bad record but as long as he offers us a physical presence in both boxes and can slow the game down a bit with ball retention then he should suit the system. 

I just hope he isn't the only player we bring in cause then that would be an issue 
  • Divin Mubama, if we are really trying to fight it out with Championship clubs then this kid has to be a target. Big strong and quick and can also fill in at left back   :D  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

If as you suggest his MO is to get Charlton promoted without any cost to himself then actually I need it explaining to me why that’s a bad thing. If his ambitions align with that of the club I don’t see a problem. It does of course fall over if he doesn’t achieve the promotion but as long as he does I’m actually on board with it. 
    Absolutely, if he pulls it off then I will not worry for a second about what he makes from it. But it didn’t work at Sunderland and at the moment it’s not working here. The whole football community winced when it was announced he was involved and sent their commiserations. 
  • Swisdom said:

Whether you are right or not about the longer term, here in the short term the new owners are perilously close to losing the fanbase-literally. There were 7000 fewer at the game on Saturday than against Orient, probably 4000 of them Charlton. The mood leaving the ground was of resignation not anger.
    The owners will not get to the long term with the bulk of fans unless they do something now to improve results and stop us being in a relegation fight.

• I’d be fine with Cosgrove.
    his goal return was pretty decent considering most of his appearances were from the bench 
  • We definitely need a striker possibly 2.  I can see May being banned a few times this season. Also if Miles gets injured again we are back to square one.