Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

I don't need to read the link because it's all be said before.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Sorry what defence? 

I know exactly what happened at Sunderland.

Like I have said, twice, the end result maybe the same, it might be worse, it might be better but he 100% can not play the same play book because the circumstances are entirely different.  Or do you know of some secret windfall we are due or that they have somehow secured the assets without us knowing?

Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he? 
    How’s it going so far? He wasn’t successful at Sunderland and if I was a betting man his plan won’t work here either. His basic concept of flipping the club is the same, I’m surprised you’re unable to grasp that or unwilling to.
    You seem to know a lot about my thoughts that I haven't written down here!  I'm suprised your unable to grasp what I have actually said. 

"Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he?"

Please explain how he can flip it if we aren't successful?   As @ShootersHillGuru said he can't flip it, therefore make any money, if we aren't promoted.  If he does that who cares? 

He won’t be able to flip it for a profit, we’ve seen the plan to get promotion and it’s laughable. It will mean another couple of seasons of misery and League One football until his investors get tired and sell at a loss. Then we start again.
    Have you seen it?
    The contents have shared on this forum by very trustworthy people. Supporters who’ve campaigned long and hard for Charlton and have only the very best interests of the club at heart.
    Whereabouts? And did it specifically mention CM by name, and did it proclaim they'll spend no money and get us promoted by doing so? This document apparently also said they'll close the academy and women's teams to cut costs, has that happened yet? 
    No it didn't. It said there was room to cut costs further by reducing the spend on the academy, there was no mention of closure. You have just made that up, which is why it probably hasn't happened.  :D
  • Smithy said:
    I've seen Cosgrove described as 'a centre back's wet dream' by Plymouth fans. So that's encouraging
    On the other hand I've had two sets of fans from Scottish clubs I speak to say he's very decent. 

Different horses different courses all that. He can't be any worse than the other striking options we have which are 0 
  • sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Sorry what defence? 

Like I have said, twice, the end result maybe the same, it might be worse, it might be better but he 100% can not play the same play book because the circumstances are entirely different.  Or do you know of some secret windfall we are due or that they have somehow secured the assets without us knowing?

Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he? 
    How’s it going so far? He wasn’t successful at Sunderland and if I was a betting man his plan won’t work here either. His basic concept of flipping the club is the same, I’m surprised you’re unable to grasp that or unwilling to.
    You seem to know a lot about my thoughts that I haven't written down here!  I'm suprised your unable to grasp what I have actually said. 

"Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he?"

Please explain how he can flip it if we aren't successful?   As @ShootersHillGuru said he can't flip it, therefore make any money, if we aren't promoted.  If he does that who cares? 

He won’t be able to flip it for a profit, we’ve seen the plan to get promotion and it’s laughable. It will mean another couple of seasons of misery and League One football until his investors get tired and sell at a loss. Then we start again.
    Have you seen it?
    The contents have shared on this forum by very trustworthy people. Supporters who’ve campaigned long and hard for Charlton and have only the very best interests of the club at heart.
    Whereabouts? And did it specifically mention CM by name, and did it proclaim they'll spend no money and get us promoted by doing so? This document apparently also said they'll close the academy and women's teams to cut costs, has that happened yet? 
    No it didn't. It said there was room to cut costs further by reducing the spend on the academy, there was no mention of closure. You have just made that up, which is why it probably hasn't happened.  :D
    Well said! I know people don't want to believe this lot could potentially be as bad as recent owners, I didn't want to believe it but the signs are not good.
  • Smithy said:
    I've seen Cosgrove described as 'a centre back's wet dream' by Plymouth fans. So that's encouraging
    11 in 65 across his last 3 league 1 loans. 

The song from the covered end on the last day of the season.

🎶if cosgrove scores, we're on the pitch 🎶
  • edited August 2023
    Smithy said:
    On the other hand I've had two sets of fans from Scottish clubs I speak to say he's very decent. 

Different horses different courses all that. He can't be any worse than the other striking options we have which are 0 
    Scottish clubs you say.......
    Aberdeen are better than us and will play more competitive games than we will this season. 

Not to be sniffed at, unless a joke has gone over my head here 😂
  • I wonder how many of these 377 pages contain actual rumours…4? 
  • Valley11 said:
    I wonder how many of these 377 pages contain actual rumours…4? 
    Nah, Page 4 was a load of rubbish as well. 
  • I agree with @Swisdom that we ought not to press the panic button, not least because we haven’t played terribly despite the appalling results.
    What needs to be the total focus of everything is to win at Oxford on Saturday, followed by winning against Fleetwood at home, Wigan away, Stevenage away, Wycombe at home and then Shrewsbury away.
    If we manage that we are one point ahead of target.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    I wonder how many of these 377 pages contain actual rumours…4? 
    Want some do you?
  • seth plum said:
    I agree with @Swisdom that we ought not to press the panic button, not least because we haven’t played terribly despite the appalling results.
    What needs to be the total focus of everything is to win at Oxford on Saturday, followed by winning against Fleetwood at home, Wigan away, Stevenage away, Wycombe at home and then Shrewsbury away.
    Sorry Seth. Are you smoking cannabis?
    I simply want this to be a meaningful season and not a relegation battle.
    Oxford away is next and I want that to be a victory however it comes about.
  • seth plum said:
    I agree with @Swisdom that we ought not to press the panic button, not least because we haven’t played terribly despite the appalling results.
    If we take the first four of those games, three of which are away from home against teams that have started well, we might get something from the home game against Fleetwood. 
  • sam3110 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sorry what defence? 

Have you seen it?
    Another one that's seen it but won't share it with the masses? 
  • edited August 2023
    CAFC69 said:
    As concerned as I am about the lack of a physical presence upfront, I’m more worried about defence. At least we know we have Leaburn returning upfront at some point. What is going to change the shambles that is our defence? We have no one commanding or marshalling the back 4 or 3,  no one within the squad, fit or otherwise, that is likely to remedy the utter disarray! I’ve no idea what’s going on between matches but there seems to be precious little coaching going on.
    Unfortunately you can’t coach someone to be a leader. It’s in their DNA, they’re a special breed ergo Jason Pierce and wasn’t Jones meant to have those attributes 🤷‍♂️.

Edit; here you go from the Trust’s interview with him on 5 July ‘He’s a good leader with experience of captaining sides’.
  • edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    Oxford 0, Fleetwood our best chance of a win out of the lot so I'll say 3, I reckon we get sod all at Wigan 0, Stevenage I also don't expect much, I'll say a point for balance, Wycombe at home a draw or win, I'll say win cause they've also started fairly poor and then a point against the Salops. I will be amazed if we manage anymore than 10 out of 18 points by those games. 

By my predictions 8 out of a possible 18 and 3 from 12 currently. 11 from 30 will be my guess, subject to change based on how the rest of this window goes.

I truly think 8 out of the 18 might be too much as well in regards to the away draws.

I will be amazed if we manage a single point from Oxford and Wigan away, I really really hope I'm wrong 
  • I know my hope seems unrealistic, but to me the alternative realistic view is a relegation battle.
    Sometimes reality is overrated.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I know my hope seems unrealistic, but to me the alternative realistic view is a relegation battle.
    Sometimes reality is overrated.
    We’ll finish 9th - 12th. No chance of going up or down. 
  • Greenwood is available!?
  • With Kanu maybe showing he is ready to step up and Leaburn hopefully back soon then Cosgrove as our fourth striker option is fine. 

I only feel unenthusiastic about him because he is clearly a step down on the kind of strikers we thought our new owners were willing to fund a month ago. 

Signing one of Nombe, Ladapo or JCH would be a statement of intent that we are looking to seriously get promoted and soon.  
  • Watching Dabo in this under 21's , he looks fit enough for me, hope we offer him a contract
    Each to their own. Not my type I must say 😉
  • If we end up with Dabo and Dobbo we’ll be back in Wiggy Waggy territory.
  • Rylah misses a great chance.
  • Hobden and Casey on for not sure who.
  • edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    Hobden and Casey on for not sure who.
    Dabo and DJ I think

edit: yes confirmed on Twitter 
  • seth plum said:
    Hobden and Casey on for not sure who.
    Wrong thread Seth stop multitasking 😉