Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• Bournesnr said:
    Don’t understand why people are anti Cosgrove, we desperately need someone in at least until Leaburn returns, and Cosgrove played half a season last year for a side promoted from our division whilst we floundered in mid table.
    It wouldn’t surprise me if he looked at us and said er no thanks.
    Probably because he's a Championship player and likely to be on a high wage and if we have as small a budget as is now rumoured then he may not be affordable as a stop gap cover for Leaburn option.
  • Charlton Owners 🤝 Not giving our fans a squad that can compete properly 
    And you judge that on  2 weeks when they already got 3 through  the door in that time 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

I don't need to read the link because it's all be said before.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Sorry what defence? 

I know exactly what happened at Sunderland.

Like I have said, twice, the end result maybe the same, it might be worse, it might be better but he 100% can not play the same play book because the circumstances are entirely different.  Or do you know of some secret windfall we are due or that they have somehow secured the assets without us knowing?

Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he? 
    How’s it going so far? He wasn’t successful at Sunderland and if I was a betting man his plan won’t work here either. His basic concept of flipping the club is the same, I’m surprised you’re unable to grasp that or unwilling to.
    You seem to know a lot about my thoughts that I haven't written down here!  I'm suprised your unable to grasp what I have actually said. 

"Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he?"

Please explain how he can flip it if we aren't successful?   As @ShootersHillGuru said he can't flip it, therefore make any money, if we aren't promoted.  If he does that who cares? 

He won’t be able to flip it for a profit, we’ve seen the plan to get promotion and it’s laughable. It will mean another couple of seasons of misery and League One football until his investors get tired and sell at a loss. Then we start again.
  • Swisdom said:
    I think there will be a flurry of activity as we near the closing of the window. Premier League teams will be frantic trying to secure homes for some of their players and I'm sure we'll be in the mix.

I really do think some of the pant pissing i've seen for the last few days is hugely premature.  Talk of Holden not being the right man, the new owners being potless etc. all very very premature but not unexpected given our recent experiences with ownership.

It's been a crap couple of weeks.  Silly defeats and conceding basic goals or committing silly errors but that's coincided with a bad run of injuries.  The perfect storm you could say.  We were unlucky against The Posh, we should never have lost to Port Vale or Bristol - but those fine margins can have a massive effect on morale as it clearly has amongst the fans.  Such fine margins but really no need to press the panic button just yet - remember it's taken 10-12 years to bring this club to it's knees so getting it back upright is not a five minute job
    I'm not pant pissing and accept the fine margins point BUT our squad is so unbalanced at the moment and was unprepared to start the season - no cover for Leaburn, or any other positions apart from central defence and defensive midfield - we're relying on too many players who can't last 90 minutes with inadequate options on the bench so its no surprise that we've lost the last 2 games very late on - the club have had plenty of time to sort this out and it looks to me like we can't bring anyone in until we offload Kirk, DJ, McGrandles and possibly Payne and I can't see anyone coming in for them unless its a loan where we cover most of the pay.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Sorry what defence? 

Like I have said, twice, the end result maybe the same, it might be worse, it might be better but he 100% can not play the same play book because the circumstances are entirely different.  Or do you know of some secret windfall we are due or that they have somehow secured the assets without us knowing?

Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he? 
    How’s it going so far? He wasn’t successful at Sunderland and if I was a betting man his plan won’t work here either. His basic concept of flipping the club is the same, I’m surprised you’re unable to grasp that or unwilling to.
    You seem to know a lot about my thoughts that I haven't written down here!  I'm suprised your unable to grasp what I have actually said. 

"Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he?"

Please explain how he can flip it if we aren't successful?   As @ShootersHillGuru said he can't flip it, therefore make any money, if we aren't promoted.  If he does that who cares? 

He won’t be able to flip it for a profit, we’ve seen the plan to get promotion and it’s laughable. It will mean another couple of seasons of misery and League One football until his investors get tired and sell at a loss. Then we start again.
    Have you seen it?
  • edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I think we need 1 striker and a couple of CB's we are soft in the middle of our defence.. Not sure what has happened to Hector, looks uninterested this year. 

For me, 1 striker, 1 RB, 2 CB, 1 AM and Winger that happy to play either day.. I think Kanu is stepping up, with Leaburn due to be fit soon. 
    All loans? Apart from RB I guess.
  • Think we need better cover at left back than Chin and Thomas if we are playing wing backs - CBT/Campbell are wingers not wing backs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sorry what defence? 

Have you seen it?
    The contents have shared on this forum by very trustworthy people. Supporters who’ve campaigned long and hard for Charlton and have only the very best interests of the club at heart.
  • Would expect us to get Dabo in and an okish striker before doing similar to what we did in Jan and taking a punt on some loans towards the end of the window in other positions we need
  • Can’t argue with that.
  • say we sign Cosgrove (loan), dabo and sess, then 3 young prem loans, that should be enough to see us competitive on the basis that the loans are gallagher, cullen, Maatsen type loans and not the Chelsea and spurs caliber of two seasons ago.
  • say we sign Cosgrove (loan), dabo and sess, then 3 young prem loans, that should be enough to see us competitive on the basis that the loans are gallagher, cullen, Maatsen type loans and not the Chelsea and spurs caliber of two seasons ago.
    Top six though ? 
    Top six though ? 
    say we sign Cosgrove (loan), dabo and sess, then 3 young prem loans, that should be enough to see us competitive on the basis that the loans are gallagher, cullen, Maatsen type loans and not the Chelsea and spurs caliber of two seasons ago.
    Top six though ? 
    Who knows?
    We'll have to wait and see. 
    Injured players coming back and newly signed players fully fit I think we'll do ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    We needed 10 out field players.

We still need 2 wing backs, a center back and 2 strikers. 3 of them need to be significantly better than what we have already got. 
    Await to be disappointed.
  • Can’t argue with that.
    I'm sure some on here could
    Not unreasonable, but I think the loan quality level is not something we can demand,it’s basically us talking with hindsight. Nobody can really predict how an 18 year old with no first team experience will perform. Bow told us that he was not sure how quickly CG would even be ready for first team, and he only chucked Maatsen in head-first because there was no-one else. JRS  exceeded Palace expectations too. 

Curbs says that its best to try and get loans from London clubs because them they don’t have any personal upheaval. We are after all talking about 18 year old kids. But still I hope for the best. Those three players I mentioned have given me more football  pleasure than any others in a Charlton shirt in that time. I’m still sadly playing in my head JRS body- swerve that took out two defenders before he shot home through the gap they left. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

We still need 2 wing backs, a center back and 2 strikers. 3 of them need to be significantly better than what we have already got. 
    Easy mate. All lined up. Just £1.3m for promotion:

WB - Sess (free)
    WB - Dabo (free)
    CB - Mingi (free) - also covers CM
    AM - Moxon (£650k)
    ST - Ladapo (£650k)

Still time for Andy Scott to pull it out of the bag. He needs to after the incomings we saw in Jan.
  • edited August 2023
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I think we need 1 striker and a couple of CB's we are soft in the middle of our defence.. Not sure what has happened to Hector, looks uninterested this year. 

For me, 1 striker, 1 RB, 2 CB, 1 AM and Winger that happy to play either day.. I think Kanu is stepping up, with Leaburn due to be fit soon. 
    I’ll be surprised if we get more than 2 or 3, have you heard anything that suggests we’ll get as many as 5 or 6?
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I’ll be surprised if we get more than 2 or 3, have you heard anything that suggests we’ll get as many as 5 or 6?
    Ronnie told us 6 Moore, it must be true. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

No, not heard anything, my personal opinion.. 
  • edited August 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:

Easy mate. All lined up. Just £1.3m for promotion:

WB - Sess (free)
    WB - Dabo (free)
    CB - Mingi (free) - also covers CM
    AM - Moxon (£650k)
    ST - Ladapo (£650k)

Still time for Andy Scott to pull it out of the bag. He needs to after the incomings we saw in Jan.
    I would love Owen Moxon, he has looked really promising so far. Excellent on deadballs, strong, physical and box to box 

Would also weaken a relegation rival 😉
    We are sure to buy at least one Mingi.