Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• MarcusH26 said:
    I’m not sure he’s (Nombe) worth that much, even if we were going to match it. Pass IMO.

Yeah that feels like Barnsley overpaying. I'd pass too at £1m and look elsewhere. 
    Its not overpaying if his goals get you promoted. £1m is probably well worth it. As they say.....the cost just depends on what its worth to YOU. 

As an aside....there doesn't seem to be any transfers recently in the lower leagues. Seems the only transfers since late last week are Prem / overseas ones.

Yeah it seems weirdly quiet outside the Prem. Very little going on bar a couple of loans. 
  • edited August 2023
    Who was the Barnsley striker they sold in the Jan they were promoted for about £1M and what is he up to nowadays. Seem to remember a lot on here thinking he was the second coming at the time... Malik Wilkes
  • I think Dabo playing today for 60 mins pretty much confirms our interest in him, just so long as we don't give him the 'Chuks contract' four years for sitting on his arse. As for the forward, I think the money being mentioned for bang average forwards should rule us out of the game for a permanent signing, with a returning Leaburn and an emerging Kanu, a really good loan signing will do. As for the defence, my worry is Hector, he was bloody shocking against a side that were unable to create their own chances and left us to do that for them, we need a centre half who sees his immediate future at Charlton, not a centre half who will be looking at his next gig this coming Christmas. 
  • Would rather spend a million on Ladapo as he's more the type of striker we need in. 

Of course, we probably won't be offering a million for anyone but, if it was there.
  • Bailey said:
    I think Dabo playing today for 60 mins pretty much confirms our interest in him, just so long as we don't give him the 'Chuks contract' four years for sitting on his arse. As for the forward, I think the money being mentioned for bang average forwards should rule us out of the game for a permanent signing, with a returning Leaburn and an emerging Kanu, a really good loan signing will do. As for the defence, my worry is Hector, he was bloody shocking against a side that were unable to create their own chances and left us to do that for them, we need a centre half who sees his immediate future at Charlton, not a centre half who will be looking at his next gig this coming Christmas. 
    Leaburn coming back, a lot of responsibility on a youngster, and hoping that he does not get injured again.
    As for Hector I was thinking he was the next Franz Beckenbauer.
  • Who was the Barnsley striker they sold in the Jan they were promoted for about £1M and what is he up to nowadays. Seem to remember a lot on here thinking he was the second coming at the time
    If you mean Carlton Morris he went to Luton and got promoted to the premier League, not sure who else it could have been..
  • Who was the Barnsley striker they sold in the Jan they were promoted for about £1M and what is he up to nowadays. Seem to remember a lot on here thinking he was the second coming at the time
    If you mean Carlton Morris he went to Luton and got promoted to the premier League, not sure who else it could have been..

It was Malik Wilkes - maybe more of a winger? I see he is at Wednesday. Does he play much?
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely a winger that has filled in as a striker as opposed to actually being a striker
    Woodrow?
  • Chunes said:
    I don't feel like a £1million striker is going to get us promoted. A £1million centre-back has a better chance. 
    Yep I agree 100%. Yes we need strikers but we also have Leaburn to return who along with May would be one of the best strike partnerships at this level. I’d much rather we spend a big fee on a left footed centre back and then get someone like a Cosgrove to cover Leaburn and offer a Plan B from the bench 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I’m not sure he’s (Nombe) worth that much, even if we were going to match it. Pass IMO.

Yeah that feels like Barnsley overpaying. I'd pass too at £1m and look elsewhere. 
    There obviously paying the 35% see on to MK Dons 
  • We've already signed Jones, and re-signed Hector and Thomas.

I can't see us splashing the cash on another centre back, when we have Ness and Elerewe as well 
  • edited August 2023
    I’ll stick my slightly unpopular opinion out there.  It is as much the midfield that is the concern, we replace the defenders every season and we still leak stupid goals at home to stupid teams.  

For two and bit seasons we’ve been absolutely shocking in the middle, we can’t retain the ball for love nor money.  I’ve lost count the amount of little teams that have rocked up to the valley (Accrington, Morecambe etc) and pinged it round the middle of the park far to easily, the defence would be tested a lot less and therefore the risk of mistakes would be reduced massively if this was improved.  

We still only came third with Cullen, Bielik and Aribo so the standard required is way way off at the moment, but the reality is that’s the quality that is needed.  Will Camara and Taylor be good enough?  I’ve no idea at this point, we have to give them time of course, but of the view misfiled is a huge issue.
    Agree the midfield plays a role, but from recent previous seasons, our centre back choices have been:

22/23: Innis, Lavelle, O'Connell, Hector, Thomas
    21/22: Innis, Lavelle, Famewo, Pearce
    20/21: Innis, Pearce, Oshilaja, Famewo

We've not had a good pairing for three seasons, and we've had three below-standard seasons. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

I don't need to read the link because it's all be said before.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    If as you suggest his MO is to get Charlton promoted without any cost to himself then actually I need it explaining to me why that’s a bad thing. If his ambitions align with that of the club I don’t see a problem. It does of course fall over if he doesn’t achieve the promotion but as long as he does I’m actually on board with it. 
    Glad you have confidence in the owners…...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    BigDiddy said:
    Swisdom said:
    I think there will be a flurry of activity as we near the closing of the window. Premier League teams will be frantic trying to secure homes for some of their players and I'm sure we'll be in the mix.

I really do think some of the pant pissing i've seen for the last few days is hugely premature.  Talk of Holden not being the right man, the new owners being potless etc. all very very premature but not unexpected given our recent experiences with ownership.

It's been a crap couple of weeks.  Silly defeats and conceding basic goals or committing silly errors but that's coincided with a bad run of injuries.  The perfect storm you could say.  We were unlucky against The Posh, we should never have lost to Port Vale or Bristol - but those fine margins can have a massive effect on morale as it clearly has amongst the fans.  Such fine margins but really no need to press the panic button just yet - remember it's taken 10-12 years to bring this club to it's knees so getting it back upright is not a five minute job
    Yes, you are probably right.

We pick up all the dross that other clubs don't want and Gobby Methven will go on the airwaves to tell us how great he is.

This lot are no better than the previous troupe of crap owners.

They have been in the background during the January window, that went well.

It's not been a success so far and I will be amazed if they surprise us with decent recruitment.

All fart and no s*** fellas.
  • Also, we might have a shocking opening 15 games and they'll bullet Holden and blame him :#
  • ValleyBen said:
    With Kanu maybe showing he is ready to step up and Leaburn hopefully back soon then Cosgrove as our fourth striker option is fine. 

I only feel unenthusiastic about him because he is clearly a step down on the kind of strikers we thought our new owners were willing to fund a month ago. 

Signing one of Nombe, Ladapo or JCH would be a statement of intent that we are looking to seriously get promoted and soon.  
    Cosgrove is not coming in as a cheap option. It’s going to be very expensive. 4th choice. Not a chance. 
    He would get plenty of game time as Leaburn can only string 5-10 games together at once it seems.
    I’m not sure that’s fair. He’s currently been done by a pub team centre back who thinks he’s doing God’s work. 
    Yeah his injury record is better than I remember from last season. 35 apps, 18 starts isn’t bad going at all for a young striker.

Nonetheless, we do need an alternative because throwing him back in without a proper pre season is a sure fire way to ruin him for another six months.
    Agree with you there. And it’s a real worry if Holden will not have good alternatives
  • NabySarr said:
    Chunes said:
    I don't feel like a £1million striker is going to get us promoted. A £1million centre-back has a better chance. 
    Yep I agree 100%. Yes we need strikers but we also have Leaburn to return who along with May would be one of the best strike partnerships at this level. I’d much rather we spend a big fee on a left footed centre back and then get someone like a Cosgrove to cover Leaburn and offer a Plan B from the bench 
    At this point I’d be more excited by an expensive centre back than by an expensive striker…
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just in case anybody didn't see it, Elfsborg posted a link to a Sunderland forum where they are discussing our takeover, If you haven't read it take a look, it makes interesting reading https://www.not606.com/threads/methven-buys-charlton.407251/

Just to whet your appetite this is what one poster thinks about our billionaires registered in Cayman Islands.  The Cayman Islands billionaire sounds exactly like the role Juan Sartori played for Methven and his mate Donald, i.e. showing proof of funds to the EFL and then not putting any of it into the club.
    This! There’s no 4 or 5 players coming, it’s playing out just like it did for Methven at Sunderland. Please read it, he’s trying the same promotion on the cheap (laughable!) and then try and flip.
    Is that the Sunderland who had a player on 40k a week and spent 4 million on a striker in league 1 and made the play offs 3 years out of 3.

Now the end result might be that it's an absolute disaster or it might be that Methven and co make a nice few quid with very little risk to themselves.  Which means it has been a success, for us as well as him.

They/he categorically can't play the same play book here as he did at Sunderland because the circumstances are totally different.  
    Read the link, sounds as Methven loaded Sunderland with debt, sold some of their best assets and prolonged their league one stay, until he finally left and other owners got them out of the league. Read it, doesn't sound like Sunderland fans were as happy as you are with him.

I don't need to read the link because it's all be said before.

There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of back to back relegations BEFORE Methven got involved.  There are things that happened at Sunderland that were a direct result of poor management whilst he was there.

That doesn't change the fact that the only similarities between us now and Sunderland when he got involved are that we were both in league 1.

There isn't any fat to trim off, there aren't a bunch of 17 year olds that signed for a premier league club at 15 but won't commit to league 1 club, there isn't any parachute money, there isn't a stadium to secure debt against.

I don't trust Methven as far as I could throw him and am not happy with him by any measure but I do know that the narrative of the Sunderland fans isn't as black and white as some people take it on face value.
    You’re a brave person to try and defend Methven’s time at Sunderland! What about him borrowing the money to purchase Sunderland from Sunderland and then later writing the loan off. Not illegal but highly exploitative. I implore you to read the link, it will give you much more knowledge about the way Methven operates and the fact that is basically the same play with us. Buy a club with Prem potential in League One, get them promoted without any cost to himself and flip for a profit. It’s all in the Texas sales doc, his motives are written down in black and white. You can’t get any better evidence than that!
    Sorry what defence? 

I know exactly what happened at Sunderland.

Like I have said, twice, the end result maybe the same, it might be worse, it might be better but he 100% can not play the same play book because the circumstances are entirely different.  Or do you know of some secret windfall we are due or that they have somehow secured the assets without us knowing?

Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he? 
    How’s it going so far? He wasn’t successful at Sunderland and if I was a betting man his plan won’t work here either. His basic concept of flipping the club is the same, I’m surprised you’re unable to grasp that or unwilling to.
    You seem to know a lot about my thoughts that I haven't written down here!  I'm suprised your unable to grasp what I have actually said. 

"Of course he is in it to make money but he can't do that without us being, in some way, successful.  Can he?"

Please explain how he can flip it if we aren't successful?   As @ShootersHillGuru said he can't flip it, therefore make any money, if we aren't promoted.  If he does that who cares? 

He won’t be able to flip it for a profit, we’ve seen the plan to get promotion and it’s laughable. It will mean another couple of seasons of misery and League One football until his investors get tired and sell at a loss. Then we start again.
    Thats my view as well - they have wasted this window.
  • Charlton Athletic are pleased to confirm the signing of promising goalkeeper Prince Adegoke.

The 19-year-old has put-pen-to-paper on a one-year contract, with a club option of an additional year, following a successful trial period.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/prince-adegoke-signs-bolster-u21s-ranks
  • edited August 2023
    Valley11 said:
    I wonder how many of these 377 pages contain actual rumours…4? 
    Why speculate on players we might sign, when there is no sign we will go hell for leather to make the squad better?

Our lack of transfer activity is 100% related to the ownership  
  • edited August 2023
    Perhaps we should save our money for a big push in the January transfer window.
    When we are 15th in the table?

Is that our 'plan"?