Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer Transfer Rumours - Deadline Day p446

Comments

• CAFC69 said:
    As concerned as I am about the lack of a physical presence upfront, I’m more worried about defence. At least we know we have Leaburn returning upfront at some point. What is going to change the shambles that is our defence? We have no one commanding or marshalling the back 4 or 3,  no one within the squad, fit or otherwise, that is likely to remedy the utter disarray! I’ve no idea what’s going on between matches but there seems to be precious little coaching going on.
    If the ball actually sticks up front for any appreciable time the defence will look and quite possibly perform better. Dobson does his best but aiming long balls at May and Kanu guarantees that the ball will be coming back at our defenders in very short order.
  • It’s a very fair point you make but they look slow, ponderous and regularly out of position…not good!
  • Is Ladapo available from Ipswich yet? 
  • Dizzle said:
    Is Ladapo available from Ipswich yet? 
    Wasn't the hint a couple of pages back that yes, he was, but at a decent price.

Suspect that rules us out.
  • ValleyBen said:
    With Kanu maybe showing he is ready to step up and Leaburn hopefully back soon then Cosgrove as our fourth striker option is fine. 

I only feel unenthusiastic about him because he is clearly a step down on the kind of strikers we thought our new owners were willing to fund a month ago. 

Signing one of Nombe, Ladapo or JCH would be a statement of intent that we are looking to seriously get promoted and soon.  
    Cosgrove is not coming in as a cheap option. It’s going to be very expensive. 4th choice. Not a chance. 
  • edited August 2023
    I’m not sure he’s (Nombe) worth that much, even if we were going to match it. Pass IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:
    With Kanu maybe showing he is ready to step up and Leaburn hopefully back soon then Cosgrove as our fourth striker option is fine. 

I only feel unenthusiastic about him because he is clearly a step down on the kind of strikers we thought our new owners were willing to fund a month ago. 

Signing one of Nombe, Ladapo or JCH would be a statement of intent that we are looking to seriously get promoted and soon.  
    Cosgrove is not coming in as a cheap option. It’s going to be very expensive. 4th choice. Not a chance. 
    He would get plenty of game time as Leaburn can only string 5-10 games together at once it seems.
  • Interesting that they've actually named Dabo as playing the the u21s game instead of just calling him a Trialist. Implies that they know they need to get something through the door to quiet the unrest down but that they're not exactly miles down the line with anything else. Fun.
    Exactly how I perceived it too
  • I’m not sure he’s (Nombe) worth that much, even if we were going to match it. Pass IMO.

Yeah that feels like Barnsley overpaying. I'd pass too at £1m and look elsewhere. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Is Ladapo available from Ipswich yet? 
    I have a feeling that’s who we are waiting for
  • Smithy said:
    I've seen Cosgrove described as 'a centre back's wet dream' by Plymouth fans. So that's encouraging
    On the other hand I've had two sets of fans from Scottish clubs I speak to say he's very decent. 

Different horses different courses all that. He can't be any worse than the other striking options we have which are 0 
    Scottish clubs you say.......
    Aberdeen are better than us and will play more competitive games than we will this season. 

Not to be sniffed at, unless a joke has gone over my head here 😂
    It was not a joke.
  • seth plum said:
    I agree with @Swisdom that we ought not to press the panic button, not least because we haven’t played terribly despite the appalling results.
    What needs to be the total focus of everything is to win at Oxford on Saturday, followed by winning against Fleetwood at home, Wigan away, Stevenage away, Wycombe at home and then Shrewsbury away.
    If we manage that we are one point ahead of target.
    Some people are easily pleased/bought.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I’m not sure he’s (Nombe) worth that much, even if we were going to match it. Pass IMO.

Yeah that feels like Barnsley overpaying. I'd pass too at £1m and look elsewhere. 
    At least they are showing a bit of intent and ambition, sadly lacking, at present, with our club.
  • ValleyBen said:

He would get plenty of game time as Leaburn can only string 5-10 games together at once it seems.
    I’m not sure that’s fair. He’s currently been done by a pub team centre back who thinks he’s doing God’s work. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ValleyBen said:

I’m not sure that’s fair. He’s currently been done by a pub team centre back who thinks he’s doing God’s work. 
    Yeah his injury record is better than I remember from last season. 35 apps, 18 starts isn’t bad going at all for a young striker.

Nonetheless, we do need an alternative because throwing him back in without a proper pre season is a sure fire way to ruin him for another six months.
  • If Barnsley are offering that kind of money, i would nit be surprised if there are others who would want to buy! Writing us off because the new mob wont spend at that level!

Good luck Nombe wont be seeing you in a CAFC shirt, but I wonder if Ipswich may come in for him!
  • If Barnsley are offering that kind of money, i would nit be surprised if there are others who would want to buy! Writing us off because the new mob wont spend at that level!

Good luck Nombe wont be seeing you in a CAFC shirt, but I wonder if Ipswich may come in for him!
    Good moaning.
  • MarcusH26 said:

At least they are showing a bit of intent and ambition, sadly lacking, at present, with our club.
    When the story broke on here that Exeter wanted silly money, the general consensus on here was that not overpaying was the right thing to do, but as soon as another clubs show an interest in the player, they are showing ambition.

charlton life right here at its finest
    I do not recall being part of that group.
  • edited August 2023
    Barnsley fans throwing cold water on that rumour and saying there's not a chance they're spending a million on one player. 

I personally think he's worth the fee, quality players aren't cheap and it avoids the chance of championship competition trying to secure him as a free agent. In the same way Bayern pushed the fee to avoid competition for Harry Kane as a free agent. 

The extra cash sometimes is worth the risk, it's not my money but the fee is about right I'd say 
  • edited August 2023
    I don't feel like a £1million striker is going to get us promoted. A £1million centre-back has a better chance.