Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Retained List - Published

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Well played Deano, massive clear out there

interesting summer now  
    There’s two ways of looking at it I suppose. 

1. Ruthless and encouraging that we want to replace with better players

2. Tightening budget and looking to scale back where we can

Not quite sure where I sit tbh 
    Don't think option 2 sits with the fact that we've offered Hector a deal - he won't be cheap.

We needed a clear out, we've been asking for a clear out, we're getting a clear out. Only positive imo 
    Depends I suppose if the deal we’ve offered is competitive or not. I suppose time will tell 
    Spot on, just because we’ve offered Hector a deal doesn’t mean we’ve offered a good deal nor that he’s signed the deal. I reckon there’s still a decent chance he ends up somewhere better than Charlton. 
    Yeah, I dont expect either Hector or Thomas to be here next season. Hector can certainly get better elsewhere.
    Thomas is a possibility, I wouldn’t over pay him though. Hector will have (much) better offers, I would imagine the only thing that might keep him here is if his personal situation dictates that it’s better for him. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Good start. Be interesting to see where they all end up
    Rotherham … isn’t that where most of our cast offs end up
  • Options
    Well this has shocked me a bit ! Like most I was calling for it to happen and havent got any complaints re any of the released list. On a personal not I'm chuffed Albie has gone ( I wish him well wherever he ends up ) if only because it will stop the "he will come good, he is only young" cries on here 🙄 I think he will join JJ myself.
    This could be a massive positive or a massive negative depending on the level of signings we bring in to replace them
  • Options
    Could we have offered Henry a new contract on not particularly good terms so he either accepts low wages or he gets released and we ensure we get compensation from whoever picks him up. Didn't we do similar with Fosu a few years back?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

I'm not getting excited until I see who we replace them with, given the reaction to last year's list at the time, and how the replacement efforts panned out.
    Agreed, I was ok with Washington going, until I realised he wasn't to be replaced.
  • Options
    Before the season starts I think we’ll see at least 5 more departures, with 1/2 of those players ones we wanted to keep. I’d love to think these changes are a positive sign but after recent years I can’t help but feel we’ll be fighting relegation next year. Surely we’re due a change of luck?!
  • Options
    I agree mate I'm sure there will be bids for a few of our players, will be interesting to see if the club wants to sell them
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Chunes said:
    I must say I'm surprised the clear out is being greeted so positively as it seemed quite a few were advocating to keep this lot as 'squad players.' 

Nonetheless it's very positive news. We can't keep doing what we're doing and expecting different results. It goes beyond just ability, the mentality on the pitch over the past few seasons has been diabolical. And I really trust Holden, with his psychological approach, to judge who he wants in his camp. 
    Saying a player is no more than a squad player ain't quite the same as saying you want to keep them as a squad player
    I wasn't referencing you, Gibbo. But there were discussions with a few posters who felt the above way, and also felt a proper rebuild was too ambitious. I'd be interested to hear why they feel different now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:
    Croydon said:
    Good start. Be interesting to see where they all end up
    Rotherham … isn’t that where most of our cast offs end up
    Burton maybe 
  • Options
    Leyton Orient might be a potential destination for a couple of our leavers
  • Options
    Depending on our budget for next season, Hector is the only player I’d have offered a contract to.

I think Clare and Morgan wouldn’t have been the worst keeps at all, but I take it as a positive that we’ve moved them on. I think McGrandles is a better option than Morgan, so at the worst we already potentially have back up for that ‘box to box’ position - and I really liked Clare as a human being, but he was just not the required standard. 

Bit miffed around Thomas. Again he’s not been terrible, has shown some versatility, and maybe Holden is looking to play a 3-5-2 and wants him on/to cover the left hand side of that. However just can’t help but feel we could roll the dice with a potential better replacement.

Henry I’m a bit meh on as well. I’d rather play Mitchell in that position than him.

• Options
    aliwibble said:

interesting summer now  

I'm not getting excited until I see who we replace them with, given the reaction to last year's list at the time, and how the replacement efforts panned out.
    Agreed, I was ok with Washington going, until I realised he wasn't to be replaced.
    They couldn't wait to get his wage off the books ( rumoured to be £10,000 a week) so he sought pastures new. He told a friend of mine at Bexleyheath Golf Club but did not disclose the actual wage. 
  • Options
    Sorry to see Clare go. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I’ve always been a fan of Sean Clare, and think he’ll be the hardest to replace of those released. 

Albie Morgan is a player I’ve never really been fussed about. 150 odd games and I just wouldn’t really notice him most of the time. 

Would have been fine with us keeping Inniss as a back up defender to head balls away in the last ten minutes of games. 

All three deserving of a decent reception whenever they play at The Valley again.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I still can't quite believe Kirk and DJ can't make it at this level after their performances just before they joined us.
    My darkest secret is that I’m a bit of a DJ fan…
    Am sure you are Katrien
  • Options
    Leyton Orient might be a potential destination for a couple of our leavers

I'd be amazed if Bonne doesn't end up there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2023
    General consensus - and my feelings too - seem to be pretty positive about the decisions made. 

FWIW I feel Morgan has had enough chances, whereas I guess they feel Henry deserves a bit longer.  Though Henry doesn't look the part (to me), there's some logic in not being too hasty to discard him, whereas Albie just hasn't pushed on.  The other departures all make sense - minor tinkering was never going to be enough.

Am surprised about Barker, he looked a real prospect, and he's been a regular in an overperforming team...
  • Options
    5 Red Cards, Inniss should be a Door supervisor rather than playing football.
    Plenty of time still for that.
  • Options
    Could we have offered Henry a new contract on not particularly good terms so he either accepts low wages or he gets released and we ensure we get compensation from whoever picks him up. Didn't we do similar with Fosu a few years back?
    Just sometimes you have to read posts earlier in the thread.  :)

• Options
    Slightly surprised about Henry. 
    And without Inniss we’ll need another physical presence who’s dominant in the air, or else we may get bullied by long ball sides with a lump up front. 
    Otherwise reasonably happy, so long as our recruitment is good (which at the moment I don’t expect it to be). A player like Clare is useful on the bench, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we end up with worse. 
    Bold decision to let Morgan go, but I’ve never really seen him as promotion material.
  • Options
    Gilbeys anti Charlton rant was unforgivable but it would be unfair to forget that he was the most badly affected of our players during the Covid pandemic. 
  • Options
    Clare is the only surprise imo. Dylan Gavin released or wouldn’t sign?
  • Options
    General consensus - and my feelings too - seem to be pretty positive about the decisions made. 

FWIW I feel Morgan has had enough chances, whereas I guess they feel Henry deserves a bit longer.  Though Henry doesn't look the part (to me), there's some logic in not being too hasty to discard him, whereas Albie just hasn't pushed on.  The other departures all make sense - minor tinkering was never going to be enough.

Am surprised about Barker, he looked a real prospect, and he's been a regular in an overperforming team...
    Have to admit Barker's departure was a bit of a shock to me.  I've only heard good things about him.