Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Appleton - Sacked 23/1/2024 (p105)

Comments

• Options
    First of all, let’s be clear that at Charlton, we don’t have a manager picking the team, we have a Head Coach.

I’d be happy with either Lee Bowyer, Gary Rowett or Gareth Ainsworth. They all know how to get the most out of the players.

However, I have to say that I disagree with sacking Appleton as much as I was with the other coaches before them. Yes, we were shit, but I don’t believe it was due to him, and the same was true with the previous coaches.

I draw the parallel with a teacher at a school. As a teacher, you can be very good at your job but if the students (players) don’t listen,  aren’t motivated, hate the school (club) they’re at, have problems with other students (players), think they’re better than they are, don’t need to study, don’t try to understand and do the work then the teacher won’t succeed.

In addition, if the school administration don’t make the objectives clear, give the necessary information to the teacher, don’t address the teacher’s difficulties effectively, listen to what the teacher thinks is wrong within the organisation then again the teacher won’t succeed.

The teacher then becomes demotivated and at worst just does what the students want in full knowledge that it isn’t what they need, which starts a new vicious circle.
    If, into the bargain, the teacher knows he will have a fully paid up 3 year contract (which would never happen) with no fear for his livlihood then why would he work his bollocks off to the detriment of his private life for a shitshow.

Imagine then a school with multiple teachers like this. The school would slide rapidly down the OFSTED ratings.

Charlton are a club on the slide. All the coaches since Boywer are like the unfortunate teachers in my analogy. Only changing the true management will change things, not replacing Appleton.
    We may get a bounce off this new manager and survive this season but it makes no difference. We will go down by 2025 (I’m sure that I predicted this on here a few years ago). I’d rather have kept Appleton and risk it being this season because with each change we just get worse.
    He so had to go.  How many more games would we need to be at to stick with Appleton?
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    Well with two defenders and a goalkeeper taking over affairs at the moment, perhaps they can teach this shower the basics of keeping the ball out of the bloody net!

Out of our net yes...they already seem to know how to keep it out of the oppositions net...🙄
  • Options
    Id like us to go for Rowett personally. 

Usually you have a rough idea who we might end up with but this time, not a clue or even close to knowing. 
    If you had any idea Holden was anywhere near becoming coach and then Appleton then please tell us all who the new coach will be.

We can then go down the bookie and make some money.

I hadn’t even heard of Holden before he rocked up.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    First of all, let’s be clear that at Charlton, we don’t have a manager picking the team, we have a Head Coach.

I’d be happy with either Lee Bowyer, Gary Rowett or Gareth Ainsworth. They all know how to get the most out of the players.

However, I have to say that I disagree with sacking Appleton as much as I was with the other coaches before them. Yes, we were shit, but I don’t believe it was due to him, and the same was true with the previous coaches.

I draw the parallel with a teacher at a school. As a teacher, you can be very good at your job but if the students (players) don’t listen,  aren’t motivated, hate the school (club) they’re at, have problems with other students (players), think they’re better than they are, don’t need to study, don’t try to understand and do the work then the teacher won’t succeed.

In addition, if the school administration don’t make the objectives clear, give the necessary information to the teacher, don’t address the teacher’s difficulties effectively, listen to what the teacher thinks is wrong within the organisation then again the teacher won’t succeed.

The teacher then becomes demotivated and at worst just does what the students want in full knowledge that it isn’t what they need, which starts a new vicious circle.
    If, into the bargain, the teacher knows he will have a fully paid up 3 year contract (which would never happen) with no fear for his livlihood then why would he work his bollocks off to the detriment of his private life for a shitshow.

Imagine then a school with multiple teachers like this. The school would slide rapidly down the OFSTED ratings.

Charlton are a club on the slide. All the coaches since Boywer are like the unfortunate teachers in my analogy. Only changing the true management will change things, not replacing Appleton.
    We may get a bounce off this new manager and survive this season but it makes no difference. We will go down by 2025 (I’m sure that I predicted this on here a few years ago). I’d rather have kept Appleton and risk it being this season because with each change we just get worse.
    How on earth could we carry on with him.  How many more games would you have been at before you decided he had to go?

He's in France.
  • Options
    The man must make a very good living out of being useless and receiving compensation for it !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 24
    WHO in their right mind, who knows anything about our situation, who has an ounce of common sense and footballing nous, WHO would take on this shit show?

The answer is, someone like Micky Apples, eyeing up 6 months work and a generous pay off at the end.

I despair!
    His soundbite from the outset, that he just wanted any club to give him a job. Not sure whether it was to earn a corn, or rebuild his reputation, but he will surely now finf it very difficult to get a club to offer him a job. It would not surprise me if his contract had a clause based on targets and the club had reached said point that he could be shoved with little compo. Let's face it, he was cheap, but not very cheerful.

If the owners are serious about success, AND recouping their ever increasing losses, then they need to get the next appointment right. Surely a proven manager with free reign is the only sensible business decision. 
  • Options
    Is there any point in being a captain of a badly designed ship? And few football coaches, at our level, have the qualities needed to manage the complexity that exists at Charlton.
  • Options
    Id like us to go for Rowett personally. 

Usually you have a rough idea who we might end up with but this time, not a clue or even close to knowing. 
    If you had any idea Holden was anywhere near becoming coach and then Appleton then please tell us all who the new coach will be.

We can then go down the bookie and make some money.

I hadn’t even heard of Holden before he rocked up.
    I mean in terms of general rumours 3-4 names get linked and yes Holden was left wing but there are usually a consistent stream of names! Only one mentioned is Jones. 
  • Options
    It just hurts to have a 'Next Manager' thread and not see the Appleton photo on every page. Our golden age has passed, and we didn't even enjoy it!

Surprised we haven't memed him more, pictures of him with hands in pockets with captions about waiting for a new manager.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    cafcfan said:
    I am currently in Florida. Weather was rubbish so we did a bit of shopping yesterday and saw an Armani Exchange baseball cap.  I thought, it's got A X on the front that must be shorthand for Appleton Out.

So, I bought it and the hat did its job.  From now on it will be my new lucky cap.
    Can you buy some CP clobber next for Charlton Promoted or Chris Powell please? 
  • Options
    It just hurts to have a 'Next Manager' thread and not see the Appleton photo on every page. Our golden age has passed, and we didn't even enjoy it!
    Ahh it's a bit too soon. Give it approx 6 months and his mug shot will be on your screen again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Ainsworth would have been such a Sandgaard appointment with their shared music interest 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    I could just envision him walking him out both playing their guitars on the pitch. 

Johnny Jackson never played his guitar on the pitch though. 

Remember his lockdown videos   :):smile:

• Options
    rikofold said:
    He had to go, it was clear a few games ago! However now he's gone we need to move on, rapidly!
    We need a man manager, who is a good coach that instlls pride in the shirt and, more importantly, themselves. We do have the players to get us to safety, but we need a manager who has been there and done it at this or Championship level. So for me it's between Jones, Duff, or even Warnock. If it's either of the first 2 I'd ask AC to oversee as an experienced 'old head'. As for Scott he has to get this right or he should also fall on his sword/sacked. 
    Next few days are crucial in the future of our once great club....the clock is ticking!
    Can someone explain to me what Duff has actually done to even begin to be in consideration? Barnsley should have been a club in the play offs, they were Championship the year before and had a strong squad. He's had two half decent seasons in League One and suddenly he's one of the best choices for us? Not convinced.

We need to get out of this mess. We have the players, we need a manager they want to play for and who has a bit of gravitas about him to get them playing. 

Jones seems to be the most capable out there, Bowyer also isn't employed and we know about him. Let's not have a punt on someone who 'might' be good. There's been too much of that. 
    He took a Cheltenham side that had never been above L2 and had been finishing at the lower end of that up to L1 and made them competitive at that level, turning Alfie May into a goal machine along the way in a 352 and having Cheltenham to their highest ever finish. Cheltenham being in L1 let alone surviving there was completely unprecedented, it's a really big deal for them. Barnsley are a weird club. They have rich owners who will not spend and rely on selling their best players every season and bringing new ones in. They didn't have a strong squad; only one of their top 6 appearance makers from the previous season were still there in 22/23 and they lost all their goalscorers. They lost Cauley Woodrow and replaced him with Slobodan Tedic. Duff turned Devante Cole from a non-goalscoring striker into a machine (familiar theme there). They keep their good players on average for about two years before a better team comes in for them and they go and need to be replaced, and their first window in 22/23 was pretty much entirely free transfers and loans just like ours was in Garner's first window. They finished 4th with 86 points and lost in the play-off final at the death against a Sheff Weds team who finished on 96 points, which would have won them the league every year going back to 2017/18. We were 10th on 62. Other than his disappointing brief spell at Swansea a league up that's his whole career, there aren't long periods of failure in amongst the successes. That's why he's seen as a good choice, we're actually fairly similar to Barnsley in the frustrating transfer operations and lack of team stability but they made a much better fist of it under Duff than we have in years.
    UP ( the) DUFF ! 

He'll do for me.
    No pregnant pause from Fanny, then :) 

• Options
    WHO in their right mind, who knows anything about our situation, who has an ounce of common sense and footballing nous, WHO would take on this shit show?

The answer is, someone like Micky Apples, eyeing up 6 months work and a generous pay off at the end.

I despair!
    His soundbite from the outset, that he just wanted any club to give him a job. Not sure whether it was to earn a corn, or rebuild his reputation, but he will surely now finf it very difficult to get a club to offer him a job. It would not surprise me if his contract had a clause based on targets and the club had reached said point that he could be shoved with little compo. Let's face it, he was cheap, but not very cheerful.

If the owners are serious about success, AND recouping their ever increasing losses, then they need to get the next appointment right. Surely a proven manager with free reign is the only sensible business decision. 
    Exactly, get rid of scott next & put what I am sure will be his hefty salary towards a proven manager.

(Of course they won't get rid of scott he's one of the gang)
  • Options
    edited January 24

I despair!

Exactly, get rid of scott next & put what I am sure will be his hefty salary towards a proven manager.

(Of course they won't get rid of scott he's one of the gang)
    This just isn't how clubs are run anymore. For better or worse (and I would argue for better), the role of the Andy Scott figure is to ensure continuity of recruitment, style, and personnel regardless of who the manager is. The days of letting a manager run everything are long gone, and rightly so given the modern game. 

Whether Scott is good at his job, the jury is very much out. Some good recruitments this window, I still don't know who was in charge of what and when over the summer, and last Jan was poor. 

But given how frequently this club changes managers, there needs to be continuity in recruitment of both players and managers. We have desperately missed that, and we seem to perpetually be a window behind when recruiting, e.g. we recruited for Garner last Jan and in the summer with ball playing CBs and midfielders, and it feels like we recruited for Holden's 3-5-2 in this window. 
  • Options
    rikofold said:
    He had to go, it was clear a few games ago! However now he's gone we need to move on, rapidly!
    We need a man manager, who is a good coach that instlls pride in the shirt and, more importantly, themselves. We do have the players to get us to safety, but we need a manager who has been there and done it at this or Championship level. So for me it's between Jones, Duff, or even Warnock. If it's either of the first 2 I'd ask AC to oversee as an experienced 'old head'. As for Scott he has to get this right or he should also fall on his sword/sacked. 
    Next few days are crucial in the future of our once great club....the clock is ticking!
    Can someone explain to me what Duff has actually done to even begin to be in consideration? Barnsley should have been a club in the play offs, they were Championship the year before and had a strong squad. He's had two half decent seasons in League One and suddenly he's one of the best choices for us? Not convinced.

We need to get out of this mess. We have the players, we need a manager they want to play for and who has a bit of gravitas about him to get them playing. 

Jones seems to be the most capable out there, Bowyer also isn't employed and we know about him. Let's not have a punt on someone who 'might' be good. There's been too much of that. 
    He took a Cheltenham side that had never been above L2 and had been finishing at the lower end of that up to L1 and made them competitive at that level, turning Alfie May into a goal machine along the way in a 352 and leading Cheltenham to their highest ever finish. Cheltenham being in L1 let alone surviving there was completely unprecedented, it's a really big deal for them. Barnsley are a weird club. They have rich owners who will not spend and rely on selling their best players every season and bringing new ones in. They didn't have a strong squad; only one of their top 6 appearance makers from the previous season were still there in 22/23 and they lost all their goalscorers. They lost Cauley Woodrow and replaced him with Slobodan Tedic. Duff turned Devante Cole from a non-goalscoring striker into a machine (familiar theme there). They keep their good players on average for about two years before a better team comes in for them and they go and need to be replaced, and their first window in 22/23 was pretty much entirely free transfers and loans just like ours was in Garner's first window. They finished 4th with 86 points and lost in the play-off final at the death against a Sheff Weds team who finished on 96 points, which would have won them the league every year going back to 2017/18. We were 10th on 62. Other than his disappointing brief spell at Swansea a league up that's his whole career, there aren't long periods of failure in amongst the successes. That's why he's seen as a good choice, we're actually fairly similar to Barnsley in the frustrating transfer operations and lack of team stability but they made a much better fist of it under Duff than we have in years.
    He feels like he would be a good fit at this moment in time. I have questions around how well he plays possession football and how naturally that comes to him, as I think we have both the CBs and CMs to be a more possession and less direct side. 

But assuming Jones is a no go, and I struggle to see him coming here and us affording him, Duff feels like a clear front runner.

Cawley says Euell would be interested, but I don't think this is the time for someone who has never managed at senior level before.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

He took a Cheltenham side that had never been above L2 and had been finishing at the lower end of that up to L1 and made them competitive at that level, turning Alfie May into a goal machine along the way in a 352 and having Cheltenham to their highest ever finish. Cheltenham being in L1 let alone surviving there was completely unprecedented, it's a really big deal for them. Barnsley are a weird club. They have rich owners who will not spend and rely on selling their best players every season and bringing new ones in. They didn't have a strong squad; only one of their top 6 appearance makers from the previous season were still there in 22/23 and they lost all their goalscorers. They lost Cauley Woodrow and replaced him with Slobodan Tedic. Duff turned Devante Cole from a non-goalscoring striker into a machine (familiar theme there). They keep their good players on average for about two years before a better team comes in for them and they go and need to be replaced, and their first window in 22/23 was pretty much entirely free transfers and loans just like ours was in Garner's first window. They finished 4th with 86 points and lost in the play-off final at the death against a Sheff Weds team who finished on 96 points, which would have won them the league every year going back to 2017/18. We were 10th on 62. Other than his disappointing brief spell at Swansea a league up that's his whole career, there aren't long periods of failure in amongst the successes. That's why he's seen as a good choice, we're actually fairly similar to Barnsley in the frustrating transfer operations and lack of team stability but they made a much better fist of it under Duff than we have in years.
    UP ( the) DUFF ! 

He'll do for me.
    Any sign of a Tingle..🙄
  • Options
    Rowett, Jones or Pearson would be fine, all have managed at levels above us and recently.