Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2023
    An update has just come through the door - one letter for two flats, of course.

The CPZ is as discussed above is happening - more details to follow "mid November" when a go-live date will be announced.

More importantly, a separate Charlton matchday CPZ is being planned with restrictions until 9pm on matchdays. This would cover most areas north of Charlton Park and the area behind the British Oak pub. 

A consultation has begun and is open until November 8. 

https://parkingingreenwich.commonplace.is/en-GB/proposals/charlton-match-day-parking-restrictions/step1

(edit: it's *everything* shaded in this map, no matter the colour)

• Options
    These are the decision papers to do with the approval of the CPZ and the proposing of the match day CPZ, so you can get a feel for the responses to the consultation.

FWIW, as someone that both lives in the affected area and has a CAFC season ticket, my view is that there is a parking problem but it's driven by residents themselves as well as the expansion of retail parks rather than the football club. 
  • Options
    These are the decision papers to do with the approval of the CPZ and the proposing of the match day CPZ, so you can get a feel for the responses to the consultation.

FWIW, as someone that both lives in the affected area and has a CAFC season ticket, my view is that there is a parking problem but it's driven by residents themselves as well as the expansion of retail parks rather than the football club. 
    It would help if residents around the ground didn't block legitimate parking spaces with wheelie bins, planks of wood or traffic cones. Any attempt to remove these gets met with aggression and/or veiled threats that your car might get damaged and/or have its tyres let down upon your return.

Then there are the "suspended" bays that can not be used on match days and residents who park on their "drive" even though there is no dropped kerb.

Are non-residents allowed to join in with this consultation because like a lot of things in life those that are affected don't get a say ?
  • Options
    looking at that map it will mean the death knell for anyone trying to drive to the game unless you want a 15 minute walk back UP A VERY STEEP HILL. Anyone with even minor health issues are going to be severely affected. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Are non-residents allowed to join in with this consultation because like a lot of things in life those that are affected don't get a say ?
    Might be worth alerting the supporters' trust on this one so that maybe some structure can be set up so fans can feed into it. It looks as if the council's made no effort to engage the club or the trust on this one and has listened instead to a small but well-connected minority.

I guess there's nothing stopping you from making your views know as long as you're upfront about where you're coming in from and why you drive/where you drive to (rather than making hypothetical cases about other people's health issues, to be honest with you). But it's not a very robust consultation and they've been particularly opaque about this, even by Greenwich standards.
  • Options
    I can't glean anything from that vis-a-vis where I park, so if anyone can please feel free to enlighten me/us.
  • Options
    I can't glean anything from that vis-a-vis where I park, so if anyone can please feel free to enlighten me/us.
    I've edited my post to include a grab of the map. Everything in the shaded parts is covered. 
  • Options
    I'm trying to work out the places I park from the map.
    Can anyone confirm if Anchor and Hope Lane or Canberra Road are included.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Quite simply this will make matchday parking borderline impossible. Like it or not we have a support that is largely not local and many in advanced years who rely solely on driving. This is catastrophic for the club imo and a huge great noise needs to be made about this.

I can’t believe the Club have either not been in consultation about it or not made any noise
    Agreed, this has the potential to seriously impact attendances. It's always very noticeable around the ground when traffic issues arise let alone make it pretty much impossible to park. I fear those sort of crowds would become the norm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    How good/regular are the buses from north Greenwich to the ground vicinity? And how long is the journey?
  • Options
    I'm trying to work out the places I park from the map.
    Can anyone confirm if Anchor and Hope Lane or Canberra Road are included.
    Thanks
    Anchor and Hope Lane is included, Canberra Rd no. The other side of Charlton Park towards Shooters Hill Rd will literally be the only Matchday parking area available. It’s tough to park there now, will be ridiculous if that’s the only area
  • Options
    How good/regular are the buses from north Greenwich to the ground vicinity? And how long is the journey?
    18 buses an hour across the 180, 472 and 486 via Bugsby's Way, usually takes 10-20 minutes depending on traffic. They're okay but bunch up and get held up at the retail barns (and at the O2 when events are on).
  • Options
    161,180 472 & 486 buses all go from North Greenwich to Charlton Station, all are quite frequent, journey time 10/15 minutes.
  • Options
    No doubt me but I cant see a landmark in that map in the absence of any road names to get my bearings - any clues what bit is what?
  • Options
    No doubt me but I cant see a landmark in that map in the absence of any road names to get my bearings - any clues what bit is what?
    The Valley on the map touches the furthest point to the right looking at the CS zone. Not very clear but it's a base point at least.
  • Options
    This will be bad, I always drive 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    roundabout at the bottom is Sun in the sands.
    South border roughly follows Charlton Park and Little heath road. Heads down from Shooters Hill to Charlton road just after the British Oak pub. 
    The left hand border follows all the way down the A2.
    The right hand side is just after the royal oak. Maryian park is the border but goes in a bit to Heathwood Garderns. 
    North boarder along Bugsby bay then down to Woolwich road and all of Anchor and Hope. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shooters Hill road running along the bottom of map with Sun in Sands roundabout just touching the blue zone.  Light blue rectangle bottom right is I believe Charlton Lido and between those two points on Shooters Hill Road is land of my birth - the Cherry Orchard Estate which is flanked by controlled Blue Zone on left and Marlborough Lane on its right.
  • Options
    An update has just come through the door - one letter for two flats, of course.

The CPZ is as discussed above is happening - more details to follow "mid November" when a go-live date will be announced.

More importantly, a separate Charlton matchday CPZ is being planned with restrictions until 9pm on matchdays. This would cover most areas north of Charlton Park and the area behind the British Oak pub. 

A consultation has begun and is open until November 8. 

https://parkingingreenwich.commonplace.is/en-GB/proposals/charlton-match-day-parking-restrictions/step1

(edit: it's *everything* shaded in this map, no matter the colour)

I've been going 20 times a year for 25 years and it's just taken me 10 minutes to find The Valley on that map.
    Its as if the council don't want to highlight the issue. 

IF they really were interested in ALL users of the roads in the vicinity of The Valley that might have wanted to highlight the ground and name the roads around it. 

Having spent a few minutes trying to work out the lie of the land I'm assuming that the road (a very feint line on their map) just below the red line on the south side is Charlton Park Road with the park being the big white space to the south.

As someone above has said, the roads between the Park and Shooters Hill Road  are usually chock-a-block anyway, and this move just makes it 10x worse. 

• Options
    So in summary - don't think about driving even for an evening game.

How very inclusive |& considerate of Greenwich council.

If they cant countenance drivers with our pitiful low gates what on earther do they think would happen if we ever became successful again!

Streaming games will become a bigger pull for many
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    The white C in the middle of the map signifies the "Charlton AFC" parking zone. To the right are 2 blue-ish blocks - the Valley is the feint square to the North East of the top of those 2 blue blocks. Just above that is the railway line (the shaded line).

Now, seeing as there is a specific controlled parking zone for the football ground you would have thought that the GROUND would have been more prominent or, dare I say it, actually NAMED on their fecking map.

As I say...........they really don't want to engage do they ?

EDIT.  I can see that by the time I typed a reply a kind poster had stuck a big red CAFC badge on where The Valley is. 

Looking at the map the nearest parking spots that are within a decent walking distance would be south of the Park - and even by 1.45pm on a Saturday there are hardly any spaces around those roads near the Lido. 

Looks like I will be frequenting games even less now & when I do go I'll be taking the bus. 
  • Options
    I think one issue with this - and think this is where the council is being disingenuous - is that many of the parking zones around London football clubs have come in response to expansion or new stadiums (there's one around the new Plough Lane). 

Whereas ours has come in response to... dwindling crowds. 

Again, I think there is a parking problem in the area around The Valley, but to single out matchdays is disproportionate. 
  • Options
    This, plus charges on Blackwall tunnel should push my increasingly infrequent journeys to the Valley onto the train, which I quite like... I just wish I could get a railcard to make the price a bit more reasonable 

Network railcard gets you 33% off all journeys made any time on weekends and bank holidays and from 10am Monday to Friday... https://www.network-railcard.co.uk/
  • Options
    Quite simply this will make matchday parking borderline impossible. Like it or not we have a support that is largely not local and many in advanced years who rely solely on driving. This is catastrophic for the club imo and a huge great noise needs to be made about this.

I can’t believe the Club have either not been in consultation about it or not made any noise
    As I mentioned on Page 1, driving is my only realistic option of getting myself and grandson to home games. Public transport is a no-no from where we live.

At this rate unless the club relocates to Norfolk I can't see myself going in future seasons because trains/buses are too expensive (especially when compared to the less than half a tank of fuel it takes me to drive to The Valley and back) and I'll have nowhere to park within a reasonable walking distance of the ground.