Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    I usually park the car a 5 mins walk from the ground and more often than not I'm back home in time for the 5:30pm kick off. Might just pack up going if it's going to become a hassle to get to the ground.
    Not sure where you've been parking a 5 minute walk away from the ground. Streets that close to the ground have been restricted for several years.

The big difference now is that the wardens are employed by the council and they are issuing tickets around the area on matchdays.
    Not true . There are plenty of streets up the hill before you get to Charlton Park that have no restrictions. I’ve been parking in the same street for thirty years and it’s literally five minutes walk . Wether that will be the case come October, I don’t know ?
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Crusty54 said:
    I usually park the car a 5 mins walk from the ground and more often than not I'm back home in time for the 5:30pm kick off. Might just pack up going if it's going to become a hassle to get to the ground.
    Not sure where you've been parking a 5 minute walk away from the ground. Streets that close to the ground have been restricted for several years.

The big difference now is that the wardens are employed by the council and they are issuing tickets around the area on matchdays.
    There's parking very close to the ground behind the Curbs stand direction available if you're there early enough.

I'm sure public transport has improved but it's still going to take longer and be more of an inconvenience than just driving my ULEZ compliant car.
    All of which suggests that your original posting on this matter wasn’t really about the inconvenience or additional time needed to get to and from the ground. It is more about your insistence of parking within 5 mins walk of the ground irrespective of the inconvenience that may cause to local residents.
    It wouldn't matter if I parked a 5 mins walk or a 20 mins walk away the same issue will still occur.
    Which issue is that?
  • Options
    @InspectorSands could you educate on what the latest is with this mate please? 

Will places like west of the ground like Tallis Grove / Highcombe, or south of Charlton Park like Canberra Rd now become no Matchday park areas ?
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Rather than people just having to walk further, which not everyone can by the way, the issue is that the displacement from the area where they are introducing two hour restrictions will make it more difficult to park at all (on Saturdays).

You would hope that the club was active in the consultations. Perhaps that’s a question for the Fans’ Forum, although it could also be discovered through an FOI (i.e. don’t bother lying). We flagged this issue in VOTV last year.

There is a two stage consultation - the original one was in 2021 and that stage can lead to changes. The recent statutory one rarely does. 

The council could have mitigated the impact on the football club by making it a Monday to Friday scheme. It doesn’t apply on Sundays.
  • Options
    The council could have mitigated the impact on the football club by making it a Monday to Friday scheme. It doesn’t apply on Sundays.
    Seems simple but the residents have to pay for their parking permits and are more likely to be using their spaces on a Saturday.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Seems simple but the residents have to pay for their parking permits and are more likely to be using their spaces on a Saturday.
    Indeed, but the same would be true for evening games.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Indeed, but the same would be true for evening games.
    I no longer drive to any games but when I working night shifts i used to try to park near the ground for evening games. Most parking spaces were occupied by the 6:30pm cut off.
  • Options
    So are these new parking restrictions definitely coming in in October ?
  • Options
    @InspectorSands could you educate on what the latest is with this mate please? 

Will places like west of the ground like Tallis Grove / Highcombe, or south of Charlton Park like Canberra Rd now become no Matchday park areas ?
    Off the top of my head...

- streets around Sherington school will need permits, but Tallis Grove/Highcombe/part of Victoria Way won't as things currently stand, creating a permit-free slither in the middle of a permit zone, which is crazy
    - a chunk of streets around Charlton Lane/Thorntree Road will also need permits
    - streets south of Charlton Park aren't included in this, but I'm told plans will come forward. There's a lot of hospital parking along Charlton Park Lane so that could be a delicate one.

There is a parking problem around here but all does this is move it around a bit. There's already a whole lot of displacement from permit streets into non-permit streets (Victoria Way gets vans parked for months on end, there's one particular old heap that anyone who walks down there will be familiar with) so they might as well put permits on the lot and be done with it. The retail parks cause a far bigger parking/traffic problem than matchdays, IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do we know if this is going ahead from October or not?
  • Options
    So if I'm reading that right Anchor and Hope lane will be max 2hrs and permit parking.
  • Options
    red10 said:
    I spoke to a friend of mine yesterday who told me that there is going to be a massive expansion of residents only / 2 hour max parking around the Valley from sometime in October.

Can anybody living the the area confirm/post a map of the area?, as I understand residents have been informed. This could possibly mean a 30 min walk from available parking to the ground if this info is correct.

It's not like we need it even more difficult for people to attend is it?, the team are already doing their bit for that ............

It's as if the Council don't want a football team on their patch. Perhaps various people were right & we should move out the area. Surrey anyone ? 😄
    There's a chalk pit next to Bluewater, excellent road links etc Valley mk2
  • Options
    looking at the map my favourite spots will be restricted to 2hrs- but hang on they are anyway- so what's changed? if there's more enforcement, and statements to that effect I'll have to get on my bike
  • Options
    Would suspect not because it's already the middle of September, but the council is so secretive it's hard to tell.

May find out a bit more tomorrow because the agenda for the council's highways committee will be published - if it's coming soon, it'll be on the agenda. 

These are the full maps, by the way: https://res.cloudinary.com/commonplace-digital-limited/image/upload/v1679313537/projects/62eb8ac060ca189e201e3674/media-upload/Charlton%20CPZ%20Review%20Design%20Plans.pdf/ttnr2umjkboqky3jtxim.pdf
  • Options
    looking at the map my favourite spots will be restricted to 2hrs- but hang on they are anyway- so what's changed? if there's more enforcement, and statements to that effect I'll have to get on my bike
    The council took parking wardens back in house a while back. Regularly see them on match days around The Valley.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I've been driving to the Valley for over 30 years & parking recently has been getting worse & worse. I usually park south of the Park around Thorntree Road / Wolfe Crescent but spaces are few & far between after 1.45pm. What really pees me off is legitimate parking bays being blocked off by residents with planks of wood or traffic cones. I've had a couple of run ins with house owners where I've parked & they've told me to move as they are saving the space for someone.  Don't want to get into an arguement with them & come back after the game to find my tyres slashed (or worse).

Saying all I am moving to Bromley soon & thinking about getting the train or bus.Bus is cheaper with the £1.75 cap so looks like I may be slumming it from now on 🤔

• Options
    I've been driving to the Valley for over 30 years & parking recently has been getting worse & worse. I usually park south of the Park around Thorntree Road / Wolfe Crescent but spaces are few & far between after 1.45pm. What really pees me off is legitimate parking bays being blocked off by residents with planks of wood or traffic cones. I've had a couple of run ins with house owners where I've parked & they've told me to move as they are saving the space for someone.  Don't want to get into an arguement with them & come back after the game to find my tyres slashed (or worse).

Saying all I am moving to Bromley soon & thinking about getting the train or bus.Bus is cheaper with the £1.75 cap so looks like I may be slumming it from now on 🤔

How about parking in Charlton park?
  • Options

Trains good from Bromley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mametz said:
    The club, like the council in conjunction with tfl, should probably encourage those attending to use the following in order of preference, with exemptions for those who need to drive for medical or disability reasons (e.g. blue badge holders):

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    6. Ulez compliant vehicle
    7. Car
    As someone who lives in Welling

1. I don't cycle and not going to happen, and it's too far to be walking especially during winter months or midweek games

2. Living near the Bexleyheath line what's the train options? Genuine question can only think to change at Lewisham but all sounds very time consuming and a lot of hassle in particular getting to/from the train station along with the added time and expense.

3. No coach option. Bus? Did it about 11 years ago between cars and again is time consuming, hassle and extra expense.

4-7 Can't afford an EV or Hybrid right now but my car is ULEZ compliant.

On Saturdays you can get the  14.12 train from Welling, change at  Blackheath and get to Charlton at 14.37.

For the return journey the 17.17 train from Charlton  gets in at Welling 17.46. 

As a bonus you can celebrate/drown your sorrows with as many beers as you like!
    Bexleyheath trains still runs direct to Charlton, 2 per hour;- 27 mins journey time (via slade green loop.
    (@martinCAFC)
  • Options
    With all the extra time being added breach of a 2 hour limit is much more likely nowadays.
  • Options
    The club, like the council in conjunction with tfl, should probably encourage those attending to use the following in order of preference, with exemptions for those who need to drive for medical or disability reasons (e.g. blue badge holders):

1. Walk or cycle
    2. Train
    3. Bus or a coach
    4. Electric vehicle
    5. Hybrid
    6. Ulez compliant vehicle
    7. Car
    1) no
    2) nope
    3) naahhh
    4) you paying for it?
    5) no seriously ... are you?
    6) are. you. paying. for. it.
    7) hmmm i'm gonna go with yeah.

New parking restrictions and increased likelihood of a fine. Crack on! :)
  • Options
    Sounds like it could be a struggle for many - just imagine, if by some miracle we got promoted to the Championship -or, heaven forbid, the Premiership! The case for moving grows, but to where is anyone's guess.
  • Options
    Brownie12 said:
    For all those struggling, just park in front of the goal that Charlton are attacking.  Car won’t get damaged and you can keep an eye on it during the game. 
    Move the car to the other end at HT and you don't even have to worry about a two hour parking restriction.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    This, plus charges on Blackwall tunnel should push my increasingly infrequent journeys to the Valley onto the train, which I quite like... I just wish I could get a railcard to make the price a bit more reasonable 
    Why can’t you get a railcard?  I accept you can’t get discount out as far as Norfolk and would have to split ticket, but do they restrict Network railcards by address?
    No, they don't restrict Network Railcard by address. Mine has my Swindon address on it, no problem. Day return from Swindon to Didcot and then Didcot to wherever I'm going, with a discount on the second part. Winds up about £10 to £15 cheaper than buying a full price day return from Swindon, as long as I remember to check the train back is going to stop at Didcot.
  • Options
    Would suspect not because it's already the middle of September, but the council is so secretive it's hard to tell.

May find out a bit more tomorrow because the agenda for the council's highways committee will be published - if it's coming soon, it'll be on the agenda. 

These are the full maps, by the way: https://res.cloudinary.com/commonplace-digital-limited/image/upload/v1679313537/projects/62eb8ac060ca189e201e3674/media-upload/Charlton%20CPZ%20Review%20Design%20Plans.pdf/ttnr2umjkboqky3jtxim.pdf
    it wasn't on the agenda for next week's meeting, so I'd expect it's not happening next month.
  • Options
    I think it's been delayed by consultation on low traffic neighbourhoods either side of Greenwich Park.

I walked Charlton Lane this afternoon. Free parking bays still there as well as the side roads.

Cemetery Lane has a one hour time limit. Parking is still available along the south side of Charlton Park.