Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• Options
    There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Granted, we all have our levels of comfort, but if you're coming in on the M11, is, say, coming off at Redbridge, taking two quick Tube journeys and 15 minutes on the bus any less than a pain in the arse than the Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich traffic and trying to find a parking spot?
    There is no way i'm getting in my car then find a parking space just inside London. Then get on two tubes and on top of that ,  get on a bloody bus. Of course it's more of a pain in that arse than driving straight there . Or were you being sarcastic ?
    And while you're LOL'ing my comments, what exactly is wrong with getting a "bloody bus"? 
    bed bugs
    Not to mention some of the dregs of society you have to share your space with. I'd rather walk for miles instead of getting a 'bloody bus'
  • Options
    There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Granted, we all have our levels of comfort, but if you're coming in on the M11, is, say, coming off at Redbridge, taking two quick Tube journeys and 15 minutes on the bus any less than a pain in the arse than the Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich traffic and trying to find a parking spot?
    There is no way i'm getting in my car then find a parking space just inside London. Then get on two tubes and on top of that ,  get on a bloody bus. Of course it's more of a pain in that arse than driving straight there . Or were you being sarcastic ?
    That wasn't a question aimed at you, though.
    Maybe it wasn't aimed at Beds specifically but in principle it applies to all of us "outsiders" who don't have easy access to London's transport links (or almost any transport links in my case).
    But you drive, which gives you easy access to using London's transport links as a park and ride. Obviously there are issues for the less nimble here, but coming in by road from the east means you have easy access to the Tube, which is more than many people from Kent do. 
    It’s not just the less nimble Inspector, there’s practicalities particularly with midweek games where  in many cases it will be impossible for some to attend without their car, there’s time constraints from when they finish work to get there on time or difficulties in being able to get home, or by doing so at a reasonable time.

Of course where there is a will there’s a way, but we currently to even get near quarter filling our stadium for evening games. This will impact hugely on that, particularly with families
    The point I was making was more about specific journeys from north of the river - but I can’t disagree with any of that, and think there should be some more paid-parking options for families and others who really need to drive. 

I’d be interested to see how this works at other clubs.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Park up somewere else in Greater London and clog up their roads instead.
    You know it makes sense. 
    I wonder where @swords_alive lives ?  If its inside GL I might just park outside their house and take the bus from there.

That ok with you @swords_alive ??
    Belvedere. You'd be welcome. 15 minutes by train to charlton from there.

Free parking.

4 trains an hour usually.
  • Options
    So no buses can get to and from North Greenwich when there's a concert because of the sheer weight of traffic, the Blackwall is absolutely fucked and will be even worse once Silvertown opens (and you'll have to pay) the ferry runs only when the moon is waning and Jupiter is rising in the latter quarter of Libra or some such nonsense, and all the trains are delayed, cancelled or on strike. Oh and the stadium is in the ULEZ and there's nowhere to park.

Maybe a new stadium out in Greenhithe is the way to go?!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    So no buses can get to and from North Greenwich when there's a concert because of the sheer weight of traffic, the Blackwall is absolutely fucked and will be even worse once Silvertown opens (and you'll have to pay) the ferry runs only when the moon is waning and Jupiter is rising in the latter quarter of Libra or some such nonsense, and all the trains are delayed, cancelled or on strike. Oh and the stadium is in the ULEZ and there's nowhere to park.

Maybe a new stadium out in Greenhithe is the way to go?!
    A consultation has began. It's not the end of the world for the cafc motoring community just yet.
  • Options
    And while you're LOL'ing my comments, what exactly is wrong with getting a "bloody bus"? 
    bed bugs
    Not to mention some of the dregs of society you have to share your space with. I'd rather walk for miles instead of getting a 'bloody bus'
    Snob
  • Options
    You know it makes sense. 
    I wonder where @swords_alive lives ?  If its inside GL I might just park outside their house and take the bus from there.

Free parking.

Not a bad shout that.
    What's it like for parking around the station on Saturday afternoons?
  • Options
    I get the bus, only living in New Eltham. I started using the bus when parking at the South side of Charlton park became congested with NHS employees who were parking there  after being shafted and had to pay to park on site. The bus is not a bad option, and you do get to see a "slice of life" while transiting the stops between QE Hospital and the Royal Arsenal. 
    Plus you can have a beer with no worry. 

Parking has become a bind, and anybody who's only option is to drive has my sympathy.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    I'm all for ditching cars, but public transport needs to be made cheaper 
    There is a big difference between trains & buses, all thanks to TFL and their ever growing black hole of debt.

A return to London from Swanley costs around £12. Taking 2 buses to Charlton costs £1.75 each way (as long as a single journey doesn't take more than 60 mins) - so £3.50 return.

No idea what the buses cost under Boris but Sadiq Khan is following in the footsteps of Red Ken and his "fares fair" policy of 30 years ago ! All very nice for the traveller but the ratepayers will have to fund it someway. 
  • Options
    You know it makes sense. 

Free parking.

So, I could drive to yours (costing me money in petrol & still polluting the atmosphere) and then get the train (costing me more money) rather than just driving to the Valley.

You should be a politician. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Interesting the Council has already changed tonight the wording of what was put on that link this afternoon. It was… 

And it’s now…

Match day parking control 

The Council is proposing to introduce match day parking restrictions and additional controls in the areas surrounding the Charlton Athletic football stadium.The areas in which match day parking controls are proposed are the areas covered by both the Charlton ‘C’ and Charlton Station ‘CS’ Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs), for which a consultation was held earlier this year and are due to come into operation this December.Provision for match day parking controls did not form part of the original consultation for the Charlton ‘C’ and Charlton Station ‘CS’ CPZs, but concerns were raised about the impact of match day parking during that consultation. In response to those concerns, we have sought to open a further consultation at the earliest opportunity, specific to a proposal to introduce match day parking controls.Match Day parking restrictions are common, not only in areas surrounding many of London’s major sports stadiums, but also stadiums of a similar size throughout the country. Their purpose is to prioritise parking for local residents, businesses and their visitors on match days, which can otherwise be filled by visitors to the stadium. They also seek to reduce car use by encouraging supporters to use more sustainable modes of transport. 
    What are we proposing?We are proposing to extend parking restrictions from the current 6.30pm, until 9pm on each day there is a football match at the Charlton Athletic stadium (The Valley). The proposal also includes for match day parking controls to operate when matches are played on Sundays and Public Holidays, which would not be covered by the existing CPZ parking controls.Not only do the proposed time periods cover all expected kick-off times, but they also consider minimising the visual impact of the road signs that will be necessary to convey information to drivers. For matches that continue beyond 9pm, supporters will have already arrived at the stadium prior to kick-off. Maintaining parking controls beyond 9pm is therefore considered unnecessary.Proposed days and hours of operation also consider the potential impact of Charlton Athletic progressing into a higher division, where kick-off times are more likely to be more varied than at present. In doing so, we are seeking to futureproof the proposals also seek to avoid issues that may occur as a result of increased match attendances, should Charlton Athletic progress to the Championship or the Premier League. Alternative options for match day operations have been considered. But variations on days and hours of operation can result in much larger signs that can be overly complex and more difficult to understand. An example of the type of road sign that would be present if match day parking controls are introduced is proved below. This alongside an alternative option, in which the time periods are more varied. 
    Please note Within the Charlton ‘C’ CPZ, parking bays in several roads are to remain free and unrestricted. Vehicles being parked in these bays will not require a parking permit. Match day parking controls will not apply to in parking bay that is marked with a sign that includes the blue P symbol and ‘Free’. The roads in which ‘Free’ parking bays are located are highlighted and marked as “Charlton ‘C’ CPZ Permit Exemption Area” in the overview map which can be viewed by clicking the link below.However, on match days, the operational hours of any single yellow line, within any of the roads in the Permit Exemption Areas, will extend to 9pm, unless there is a yellow sign indicating alternative operational hours apply to a particular length of yellow line.
    How to have your say? The consultation will close on Wednesday 8 November at 5pm. View the overview map below and let us know your thoughts by submitting any comments regarding the proposed scheme plans, these will be required in writing during this 21 day consultation to either:email: parking-design@royalgreenwich.gov.uk orParking Design Team, The Woolwich Centre, 35 Wellington Street, Woolwich, SE18 6HQ
  • Options
    blimey, that’s a good spot, @AFKABartram

(I live in one of the “unrestricted” bits, the parking situation will be made worse by the current plans so I doubt any drivers will be able to take much comfort.) 
  • Options
    What local businesses do they mean? All the "local" businesses around the Valley have their own car parks.   
  • Options
    This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    I'm all for ditching cars, but public transport needs to be made cheaper 
    There is a big difference between trains & buses, all thanks to TFL and their ever growing black hole of debt.

A return to London from Swanley costs around £12. Taking 2 buses to Charlton costs £1.75 each way (as long as a single journey doesn't take more than 60 mins) - so £3.50 return.

No idea what the buses cost under Boris but Sadiq Khan is following in the footsteps of Red Ken and his "fares fair" policy of 30 years ago ! All very nice for the traveller but the ratepayers will have to fund it someway. 
    TfL doesn’t set the fares from Swanley to anywhere on the trains.

Under Johnson the cost of a Swanley to Charlton bus trip, two buses each way, would have been capped at three single bus fares on Oyster/contactless (£4.50 when Johnson left office).
  • Options
    clive said:
    How good/regular are the buses from north Greenwich to the ground vicinity? And how long is the journey?
    161,180 472 & 486 buses all go from North Greenwich to Charlton Station, all are quite frequent, journey time 10/15 minutes.
    It maybe 10/15 minutes from North Greenwich to Charlton prior to the game but post match it can be anything up to an hour. And that's if you can get on a bus.

I've rarely got back to North Greenwich by 5.45pm post game . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Looking at 4 adult tkts for ourselves and 2 grandkids over 16 via Trainline, our journey to & from the match on Saturday would cost us a total of £71.40 /£17.85 pp. 

Wadhurst to London Bridge, then change for Charlton.

Totally beyond the means of an average family from this area, especially  when our car is able to seat 5 adults for the journey and Mr F estimates costs us a total of £15 in petrol.

No comparison price wise & every home game attended despite rail strikes etc. 

Travelling by car is the ONLY way our family would remain in attendance at The Valley. And my VG subscription would also be cancelled.

And we would not consider using Valley Express....
  • Options
    You know it makes sense. 

Free parking.

So, I could drive to yours (costing me money in petrol & still polluting the atmosphere) and then get the train (costing me more money) rather than just driving to the Valley.

You should be a politician. 
    You asked. I answered.

Of course if Belvedere means you are doing more miles by car it wouldn't be efficient for you. 
  • Options
    Whatever happened to the logic of ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

You know it makes sense. 

Free parking.

Not a bad shout that.
    What's it like for parking around the station on Saturday afternoons?

No issues. I usually walk down to the station but when i've driven there's always been parking either on the main road or a side street. Possibly similar at Erith and Slade Green, neither of which i've parked at. This may not last now the secret is out.

Abbey Wood area, quite near the station, has plenty of parking too at weekends, and outside of 1-3pm weekdays i think. Abbey wood is pretty well served by busses too from Bexleyheath and other areas i think.
  • Options
    Looking at 4 adult tkts for ourselves and 2 grandkids over 16 via Trainline, our journey to & from the match on Saturday would cost us a total of £71.40 /£17.85 pp. 

Totally beyond the means of an average family from this area, especially  when our car is able to seat 5 adults for the journey and Mr F estimates costs us a total of £15 in petrol.

Travelling by car is the ONLY way our family would remain in attendance at The Valley. And my VG subscription would also be cancelled.

Can't you just drive to Belvedere like everyone else is going to do?
    It's only 15 minutes by train from there.
    Ah, I know you'd miss me !

But still petrol costs from Wadhurst to Belvedere plus a further £31.20 for 4 return tickets to & from Charlton. 

We ARE pensioners you know....
  • Options

But still petrol costs from Wadhurst to Belvedere plus a further £31.20 for 4 return tickets to & from Charlton. 

Sorry Jean, I've just whooshed you  :)
  • Options

Sorry Jean, I've just whooshed you  :)
    Didn't feel a thing, Steve !  B)
  • Options
    So you want Charlton to go out of business then? Proper weird comment even by your anti car comments. 

Where have i said i want Charlton to go out of business? I have suggested the new scheme definition as proposed for consultation will make certain people re-think their journey, and said i think that's a good thing. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023

After driving into London and taking two tubes ( as you suggested to @Briston_Addick  ) , the last thing I want to do is get on a bus and neither will the vast majority of people living in the home counties north of London but by all means knock yourself out if it's your idea of fun. I'm not doing it and neither will many others. 
    Fine, if you're going to resort to insults then I'll leave you to it. Enjoy your life in the home counties north of London. (Eh?)
    Where have I insulted you ? I’ve just pointed out your suggestion that taking three different forms of transport to watch a football game instead of one was ridiculous . If you find that insulting then so be it .