Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    sam3110 said:
    One solution in my eyes would be to link up with nearby car parks for a park and ride scheme. The car park at IKEA is half full at most at any one time, yhere's a multi storey one near the O2 that is rarely used, even on concert nights it doesn't fill up most of the time, and a couple in Woolwich town centre that have capacities far bigger than current needs (the Sainsbury's one for instance)

Combine that with the overflow parking that isn't ever used at Stone Lake Retail Park, you've got the beginnings of a network of places not too far from The Valley (some within walking distance) that could actually handle the capacity, and make more money too, be it through the club paying a lump sum or through subscriptions
    We pretty much already have a park and ride from Woolwich. A few car parks, with loads of buses using the lower road with the route to The Valley in bus lanes. Currently takes me no more than 10 minutes.
    Except that’s a parking fee and 2 x bus fares for each person. 

That will add up for some very quickly. 

Park and ride needs to be an incentivised inclusive amount. 
    The vast majority of times I take the car to away games its very rare if i don't have to pay for parking or end up walking a fair distance. It’s the norm with taking a car to an event over a certain spectator size. 
    That may be true but the home supporters aren’t all doing the same as well. 

It shouldn’t be expensive to attend a home game. 

These changes are a disincentive. 

Personally I now (infrequent attender) have resorted to public transport as it’s already hard to park. But that doesn’t make this scheme right. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    sam3110 said:
    One solution in my eyes would be to link up with nearby car parks for a park and ride scheme. The car park at IKEA is half full at most at any one time, yhere's a multi storey one near the O2 that is rarely used, even on concert nights it doesn't fill up most of the time, and a couple in Woolwich town centre that have capacities far bigger than current needs (the Sainsbury's one for instance)

Combine that with the overflow parking that isn't ever used at Stone Lake Retail Park, you've got the beginnings of a network of places not too far from The Valley (some within walking distance) that could actually handle the capacity, and make more money too, be it through the club paying a lump sum or through subscriptions
    We pretty much already have a park and ride from Woolwich. A few car parks, with loads of buses using the lower road with the route to The Valley in bus lanes. Currently takes me no more than 10 minutes.
    Except that’s a parking fee and 2 x bus fares for each person. 

That will add up for some very quickly. 

Park and ride needs to be an incentivised inclusive amount. 
    The vast majority of times I take the car to away games its very rare if i don't have to pay for parking or end up walking a fair distance. It’s the norm with taking a car to an event over a certain spectator size. 
    That may be true but the home supporters aren’t all doing the same as well. 

It shouldn’t be expensive to attend a home game. 

These changes are a disincentive. 

Personally I now (infrequent attender) have resorted to public transport as it’s already hard to park. But that doesn’t make this scheme right. 
    The scheme is not right, like a lot of stuff we have to find a way around it.
  • I can’t make any sense from that map. I usually park up the top of the park (and walk down past the deers etc) is that still gonna be okay? 
  • Common-sense is always the natural prey of ideological zealots pushing pens and barking dictates one soundbite after another!  
  • I can’t make any sense from that map. I usually park up the top of the park (and walk down past the deers etc) is that still gonna be okay? 
    I think so.
  • edited October 2023
    ValleyGary said:depends 
    I can’t make any sense from that map. I usually park up the top of the park (and walk down past the deers etc) is that still gonna be okay? 
    Depends where you mean top of the park. If you enter the park and the animal enclosures are just inside the entrance, then that is not ok
  • Errrr......you bought a home near a football ground
  • Sponsored links:

• Drivers going to the valley are annoyed because they might have to get a bus or walk a mile or so.

But I can't help wondering what it's like when you come home after work and have to park a mile away from your house.

Somebody has to suffer !
    Why does anyone have to 'suffer' just so Greenwich council can line their coffers? Have some thought for those supporters who re elderly or infirm and who simply cant walk that far. Oh I'll tell you who else will suffer, the club. Surel7 you don't believe the council are doing this to benefit the residents?
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I can’t make any sense from that map. I usually park up the top of the park (and walk down past the deers etc) is that still gonna be okay? 
    Depends where you mean top of the park. If you enter the park and the animal enclosures are just inside the entrance, then that is not ok
    Flamsted Road I believe it is 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    That will be affected 
  • edited October 2023
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Yes, it takes out everything in that bit from Thorntree Rd into Woodland Ter, up to Maryon Rd, right at Maryon Rd, then Hawkins Ter up to Little Heath. So includes Flamsteed, Heathwood Gdns, Kinveaky Gdns and McColl Crescent all in that section.

Then as you go west, everything north of Charlton Rd, through the village, and Xharlton Rd on the other side until you get to Couthurst Rd, then it goes further south to Old Dover Road and then all the way to the A102 Blackwell Tunnel approach line
  • Leyton Orient have had similar issues with Waltham Forest Council imposing parking restrictions to all
    day Saturday around the area. 

It’s a ridiculous decision by Greenwich Borough Council and I feel for the fans that it will generally impact. Coming from North London for home games the options on trains especially with the Elizabeth Line and the 10 minute bus ride from Woolwich to the Valley makes it a non starter for me to drive and face the Blackwall tunnel.

The deers may start demanding a toll.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    I normally park on Canberra Road or Hornfair, no idea on that map if I need to park further away but a nightmare when I bring the young kids along if the walk gets too much longer. 

Recommendations welcome as I don't want to disincentivize the kids into coming to the Valley. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    I normally park on Canberra Road or Hornfair, no idea on that map if I need to park further away but a nightmare when I bring the young kids along if the walk gets too much longer. 

Recommendations welcome as I don't want to disincentivize the kids into coming to the Valley. 
    No that's fine on that side of Charlton Park, the CPZ only goes up to the northern boundary of the park 
  • Sponsored links:

• Similarly anyone parking in and around the Marlborough Lane area will be fine, until the area between the Shell garage and Sun in the Sands roundabout, running down towards Charlton Road
  • sam3110 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No that's fine on that side of Charlton Park, the CPZ only goes up to the northern boundary of the park 
    Well it wont be fine when the CPZ comes in as all the cars that used to park nearer the ground will have to find somewhere else to park.....namely the roads where @Dazzler21 usually parks now.

Its typical of brainless politicians/local councillors. Not thinking where the displaced cars are now going to park. Its going to make the situation worse....not better. Yes, some people will change habits & will come by bus or train. Some will stop coming completely. But the vast majority will still drive (some out of necessity) and will just clog up the roads even more. Anyone arriving after 2pm wont be able to park anywhere & in desperation will leave their car on single /double yellows, over driveways or unsafely on a corner of a road etc.  
  • The sensible thing would be having a match day agreement in place with one of the nearby retail carparks that has anpr whereby people can register their cars fo a small fee to stay for a set longer time.
    But the club has a car park with a circa 250 car capacity and imo they should at least be offering quite a percentage of those who this will genuinely affect (perhaps blue badge holders) rather than selling the spaces at hugely inflated prices as part of hospitality and match day packages.
    This.
  • This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    I'm all for ditching cars, but public transport needs to be made cheaper 
    The proposal is not about ditching cars. It's about freeing up parking spaces "for local residents, businesses and their visitors".

Aren't we visiting a local business?
    I totally agree and made that point in my previous posting. I was just answering a comment from Siv in Norfolk. 

Apologies I hadn't read the whole thread, but also it was abit rhetorical, why don't the Council recognise the trade brought to local food \cafe's (pubs -for non driving passengers).

• This decorates the wall of my smallest room in the house where I do my day dreaming
  • The sensible thing would be having a match day agreement in place with one of the nearby retail carparks that has anpr whereby people can register their cars fo a small fee to stay for a set longer time.
    But the club has a car park with a circa 250 car capacity and imo they should at least be offering quite a percentage of those who this will genuinely affect (perhaps blue badge holders) rather than selling the spaces at hugely inflated prices as part of hospitality and match day packages.
    There's a distinct lack of entrepreneurial spirit amongst the local  large retail  park traders. Apart from maybe December they could be earning some handy money.
    I, along with many others, used to park in the retail park off the roundabout opposite Ransom Walk. However, when the Olympics happened in 2012 parking restrictions were put in place, presumably to stop people parking there and then heading over the water to the stadium. That, coupled with the closure of a couple of the '£5 to park on private land' car parks disappearing, make it even harder for parking to come by BEFORE these restrictions come in.
    The club do have a small area for disabled drivers. Can't see them losing out on revenue just out of the goodness of their hearts- it's a business after all.