Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• Entitled motorists, well I never.
  • sam3110 said:
    One solution in my eyes would be to link up with nearby car parks for a park and ride scheme. The car park at IKEA is half full at most at any one time, yhere's a multi storey one near the O2 that is rarely used, even on concert nights it doesn't fill up most of the time, and a couple in Woolwich town centre that have capacities far bigger than current needs (the Sainsbury's one for instance)

Combine that with the overflow parking that isn't ever used at Stone Lake Retail Park, you've got the beginnings of a network of places not too far from The Valley (some within walking distance) that could actually handle the capacity, and make more money too, be it through the club paying a lump sum or through subscriptions
    I mentioned this as an option on our return to The Valley as the council were concerned about parking back then. Obviously it wasn't needed, now the park and ride could do with starting on the edge of the ULEZ zone as I'm convinced this is causing a decline on attendances too.

If the council can't be made to see sense, or a viable work around sorted, I can't see anyone investing in the club and we won't have one as a direct result.
    Most London clubs don't have any decent parking near their grounds
    It won't even enter any investors minds

• WSS said:
    I actually think Uber may be a viable option for me and the kids from Falconwood. 😂
    I got one there for the Blackpool game from Bexleyheath, cost me £12
  • This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    I'm all for ditching cars, but public transport needs to be made cheaper 
    The proposal is not about ditching cars. It's about freeing up parking spaces "for local residents, businesses and their visitors".

Aren't we visiting a local business?
  • This could seriously be a disaster for the club. I messaged Steve Sutherland on X/Twitter last night and he said he hadn't been aware, nor the club.

Greenwich Council clearly just see the support the club brings as a chance to make money and penalize those people, ULEZ has already impacted attendances IMO so this is another blow.

Do you think they would have pulled this stunt if we had 20,000 attending week in week out and were at least competing for promotion to the premier league???

oh and FYI, Erith station and the surrounding area comes under a CPZ nowadays, I think you can pay for upto 4 hours

• didn’t someone say you can pay £5 to park in Asda or am I imagining  that ?
    I said in the Prem days you could slip the security guard £5 to park in the industrial estate. Don't know if that still happens, or if "cost of living " increases mean it's £50 now. It's the one where you go round from Bugsby way and turn left into Anchor and Hope and also immediately turn right onto the industrial estate. Best places were near the exit.

By the way just been to Ikea today and the car park is massive. You could buy some meatballs just to settle your conscience and a short walk to the ground. Don't know what the restrictions are but can't see them being effective.....
  • Can't someone say to the council- look the attendances are low now so there is very little issue. Put the football element of your plans on the back burner and wait till the team gets more popular.
  • Sponsored links:

• This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    I'm all for ditching cars, but public transport needs to be made cheaper 
    The proposal is not about ditching cars. It's about freeing up parking spaces "for local residents, businesses and their visitors".

Aren't we visiting a local business?
    I totally agree and made that point in my previous posting. I was just answering a comment from Siv in Norfolk. 

• There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Granted, we all have our levels of comfort, but if you're coming in on the M11, is, say, coming off at Redbridge, taking two quick Tube journeys and 15 minutes on the bus any less than a pain in the arse than the Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich traffic and trying to find a parking spot?
    There is no way i'm getting in my car then find a parking space just inside London. Then get on two tubes and on top of that ,  get on a bloody bus. Of course it's more of a pain in that arse than driving straight there . Or were you being sarcastic ?
    That wasn't a question aimed at you, though.
    Maybe it wasn't aimed at Beds specifically but in principle it applies to all of us "outsiders" who don't have easy access to London's transport links (or almost any transport links in my case).
    But you drive, which gives you easy access to using London's transport links as a park and ride. Obviously there are issues for the less nimble here, but coming in by road from the east means you have easy access to the Tube, which is more than many people from Kent do. 
    It’s not just the less nimble Inspector, there’s practicalities particularly with midweek games where  in many cases it will be impossible for some to attend without their car, there’s time constraints from when they finish work to get there on time or difficulties in being able to get home, or by doing so at a reasonable time.

Of course where there is a will there’s a way, but we currently to even get near quarter filling our stadium for evening games. This will impact hugely on that, particularly with families
    The point I was making was more about specific journeys from north of the river - but I can’t disagree with any of that, and think there should be some more paid-parking options for families and others who really need to drive. 

I’d be interested to see how this works at other clubs.
    There are options
    https://www.justpark.com/uk/parking/charlton/s/bugsby-way-charlton-se7-7st/
  • The council and club need to do a deal with Makro and/or the various shopping car parks. 

It needs to be done at cost and not as a profit centre. 

£5 each maximum would be my view. 

Simple round sum.

It might be viable for evening games when no disruption to shoppers but not sure it would work on a Saturday unless another unused industrial type site is available. 

Or more simply leave it as now. 
    Leaving the Valley by public transport is a nightmare currently with crammed buses and trains and that is before every attendee has to use public transport.

The guy I sit with at the Valley is 77, his wife is a similar age and has serious health conditions. They come to each game from Norwich. I suspect these parking arrangements could well stop him from attending.

• Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    Crusty54 said:
    There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Granted, we all have our levels of comfort, but if you're coming in on the M11, is, say, coming off at Redbridge, taking two quick Tube journeys and 15 minutes on the bus any less than a pain in the arse than the Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich traffic and trying to find a parking spot?
    There is no way i'm getting in my car then find a parking space just inside London. Then get on two tubes and on top of that ,  get on a bloody bus. Of course it's more of a pain in that arse than driving straight there . Or were you being sarcastic ?
    That wasn't a question aimed at you, though.
    Maybe it wasn't aimed at Beds specifically but in principle it applies to all of us "outsiders" who don't have easy access to London's transport links (or almost any transport links in my case).
    But you drive, which gives you easy access to using London's transport links as a park and ride. Obviously there are issues for the less nimble here, but coming in by road from the east means you have easy access to the Tube, which is more than many people from Kent do. 
    It’s not just the less nimble Inspector, there’s practicalities particularly with midweek games where  in many cases it will be impossible for some to attend without their car, there’s time constraints from when they finish work to get there on time or difficulties in being able to get home, or by doing so at a reasonable time.

Of course where there is a will there’s a way, but we currently to even get near quarter filling our stadium for evening games. This will impact hugely on that, particularly with families
    The point I was making was more about specific journeys from north of the river - but I can’t disagree with any of that, and think there should be some more paid-parking options for families and others who really need to drive. 

I’d be interested to see how this works at other clubs.
    There are options
    https://www.justpark.com/uk/parking/charlton/s/bugsby-way-charlton-se7-7st/
    I've tried Justpark on matchdays and you'd be surprised how very few residents have spaces close to The Valley although could be about to change if the locals wan't to cash in. 
  • Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    sam3110 said:
    One solution in my eyes would be to link up with nearby car parks for a park and ride scheme. The car park at IKEA is half full at most at any one time, yhere's a multi storey one near the O2 that is rarely used, even on concert nights it doesn't fill up most of the time, and a couple in Woolwich town centre that have capacities far bigger than current needs (the Sainsbury's one for instance)

Combine that with the overflow parking that isn't ever used at Stone Lake Retail Park, you've got the beginnings of a network of places not too far from The Valley (some within walking distance) that could actually handle the capacity, and make more money too, be it through the club paying a lump sum or through subscriptions
    I mentioned this as an option on our return to The Valley as the council were concerned about parking back then. Obviously it wasn't needed, now the park and ride could do with starting on the edge of the ULEZ zone as I'm convinced this is causing a decline on attendances too.

If the council can't be made to see sense, or a viable work around sorted, I can't see anyone investing in the club and we won't have one as a direct result.

Indeed, but which ones have public transport as inadequate as The Valley from the areas where the majority of supporters live?
    We have a train station & buses top & bottom road even the tube to North Greenwich is not that far away with buses running to charlton  frequently 
    DLR & Elizabeth line run to Woolwich 
    That's more then most

A large majority of our support comes from Kent and some from East Sussex and unless you want to get a train into London and out again to Charlton and then reverse the journey later then driving is the only realistic option. I doubt I’d be coming up now if it wasn’t for Valley Express.

I hate public transport and you’d never get me on a bus.
    But you got to remember our ground is in SE London 
    Mostt residents in the Greenwich Borough have to pay to park outside their homes with a yearly fee 
    So the council are not going to worry about supporters having to park once maybe twice a fortnight who want to drive to the game 
    I am lucky it takes me 10 mins to walk to the ground but there's plenty of ways if you look into it 

• Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    sam3110 said:

Indeed, but which ones have public transport as inadequate as The Valley from the areas where the majority of supporters live?
    We have a train station & buses top & bottom road even the tube to North Greenwich is not that far away with buses running to charlton  frequently 
    That's more then most

Your presuming everyone travels from the south of London to get to games but you'd be surprised how many people travel far and wide to The Valley by car and it's going to affect these people most . The DLR , Elizabeth Line and buses are of no use to me. I can get the train but they are so unreliable it takes the joy out of the day and can you imagine how busy that station is going to be if nobody drives to games anymore. 
    Something has to be done to stop this happening or it will be another nail in Charlton's coffin. 

I do not drive, and never have, BUT I can see and understand how much of a pain in the backside this is going to be.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    What local businesses do they mean? All the "local" businesses around the Valley have their own car parks.   
    And a home game puts an additional four to five figure extra amount of people into the area around those businesses. And isn't CAFC one of those businesses?

GC even added unnecessary restrictions in 2000 using the Millennium Dome as an excuse, and parking options have been eroding since then.

I have always parked south of Charlton Park, going back to when my Grandad took me as a kid in the 70's. Can see this spreading to the other side of Shooters Hill etc. In fact, some people already park there.
  • Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    sam3110 said:

That's more then most

A large majority of our support comes from Kent and some from East Sussex and unless you want to get a train into London and out again to Charlton and then reverse the journey later then driving is the only realistic option. I doubt I’d be coming up now if it wasn’t for Valley Express.

I hate public transport and you’d never get me on a bus.
    You and me both fellow snob.
  • Nadou said:
    Ah, the city dwelling zealots who hate cars and have public transport at their beck and call. 
    Subsidised public transport at that. 

How much in debt is TFL ?  £100m ?

Bus travel is around 25% of comparable (Network SE) rail travel.  
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    sam3110 said:

We pretty much already have a park and ride from Woolwich. A few car parks, with loads of buses using the lower road with the route to The Valley in bus lanes. Currently takes me no more than 10 minutes.
    Except that’s a parking fee and 2 x bus fares for each person. 

That will add up for some very quickly. 

Park and ride needs to be an incentivised inclusive amount. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    sam3110 said:

We pretty much already have a park and ride from Woolwich. A few car parks, with loads of buses using the lower road with the route to The Valley in bus lanes. Currently takes me no more than 10 minutes.
    Except that’s a parking fee and 2 x bus fares for each person. 

That will add up for some very quickly. 

Park and ride needs to be an incentivised inclusive amount. 
    The vast majority of times I take the car to away games its very rare if i don't have to pay for parking or end up walking a fair distance. Its the norm with taking a car to an event over a certain spectator size.