Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Residents Parking Expansion for SE7 - UPDATE PAGE 3

Comments

• Options
    Not being able to park anywhere within a sensible walking distance would severely impact my decision making when it comes to actually bothering to go 
  • Options
    Not being able to park anywhere within a sensible walking distance would severely impact my decision making when it comes to actually bothering to go 
    Absolutely this.
  • Options
    do you still live in eltham?
  • Options
    Quite simply this will make matchday parking borderline impossible. Like it or not we have a support that is largely not local and many in advanced years who rely solely on driving. This is catastrophic for the club imo and a huge great noise needs to be made about this.

I can’t believe the Club have either not been in consultation about it or not made any noise
    As I mentioned on Page 1, driving is my only realistic option of getting myself and grandson to home games. Public transport is a no-no from where we live.

At this rate unless the club relocates to Norfolk I can't see myself going in future seasons because trains/buses are too expensive (especially when compared to the less than half a tank of fuel it takes me to drive to The Valley and back) and I'll have nowhere to park within a reasonable walking distance of the ground.
    But even if the rail fare from Norfolk is too much (and a Network Railcard will get you 1/3rd off from Kings Lynn) you could park up somewhere inside Greater London and come in by tube/bus?

In some ways you're in a better position than fans from Kent who have to rely on Southeastern... 
  • Options
    This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.

I drive a car as it takes me from A to B in a manor & time (traffic permitting) that is convenient to me. I have just moved so I don't know how long the bus journey from here will take but its 2 buses and I expect over an hour.

From where I used to live (Swanley) I could be home by 6pm on a Saturday. By bus is was closer to 7.30pm (161 to Eltham & then 233). Only good thing about getting the bus is bus lanes. 

The invention of the motor car was evolutionary and freed up millions of people to travel to places they could only dream of before. Just because the petrol engine kills the planet, and diesel engines kills people, does not mean you have to eradicate cars and car travel. In 20 years time the electric car will be mainstream and hopefully car pollution will be a thing of the past (until some smart cookie will be telling us electric batteries are harmful). 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    This is good if only because it challenges the few remaining dinosaurs, those who take for granted their car and think they have some god given right to use it, to consider other, better options. Once the issues are addressed and representations made, we should have less congested and polluting streets in this part of Greenwich at least.
    And I mean this in the nicest possible way, but fuck off. I have family that live out in the sticks and the car journey to football is 90 mins. On public transport it's near 3 hours. 

What do they do? Oh it doesn't matter because they're dinosaurs who think they have a God given right to leave their homes
    ^^^ This ^^^

With knobs on.

My current journey time to football ranges from 3½ - 4½ hours, depending on traffic, and I have to leave home by 10am to try and get a parking spot.

If I want to use public transport (train or coach) to get to football I still have to drive around 30 miles to pick that up in the first place. How does that fit into the incredibly small-minded and selfish world of those who moan about "dinosaurs taking their car for granted"?

In these parts you get around by car, tractor or horse (and you don't see too many horses on the roads these days) or you don't get out at all.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    And I mean this in the nicest possible way, but fuck off. I have family that live out in the sticks and the car journey to football is 90 mins. On public transport it's near 3 hours. 

What do they do? Oh it doesn't matter because they're dinosaurs who think they have a God given right to leave their homes
    If they've thought about their transport options then job done already, no?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    sam3110 said:

^^^ This ^^^

With knobs on.

My current journey time to football ranges from 3½ - 4½ hours, depending on traffic, and I have to leave home by 10am to try and get a parking spot.

If I want to use public transport (train or coach) to get to football I still have to drive around 30 miles to pick that up in the first place. How does that fit into the incredibly small-minded and selfish world of those who moan about "dinosaurs taking their car for granted"?

In these parts you get around by car, tractor or horse (and you don't see too many horses on the roads these days) or you don't get out at all.
    So you've also thought about all options. Wouldn't fault you for that myself, fwiw! - though I'd be interested in your response to inspectorsands query above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Granted, we all have our levels of comfort, but if you're coming in on the M11, is, say, coming off at Redbridge, taking two quick Tube journeys and 15 minutes on the bus any less than a pain in the arse than the Blackwall Tunnel, Greenwich traffic and trying to find a parking spot?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Well said. 
  • Options
    Move to Charlton or within walking distance to the ground and all these issues are solved 🤓
  • Options
    or get one of the players to pick you up on the way in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I travelled on the loop line from Crayford to the Valley until SouthEastern stopped it.  I now drive and park by The Barrier. Is the Eastmoor Street area in the Zone?   If it is they have need to bring back the Loop trains to allow fans access to the ground.
  • Options
    Quite simply this will make matchday parking borderline impossible. Like it or not we have a support that is largely not local and many in advanced years who rely solely on driving. This is catastrophic for the club imo and a huge great noise needs to be made about this.

I can’t believe the Club have either not been in consultation about it or not made any noise
    As I mentioned on Page 1, driving is my only realistic option of getting myself and grandson to home games. Public transport is a no-no from where we live.

At this rate unless the club relocates to Norfolk I can't see myself going in future seasons because trains/buses are too expensive (especially when compared to the less than half a tank of fuel it takes me to drive to The Valley and back) and I'll have nowhere to park within a reasonable walking distance of the ground.
    But even if the rail fare from Norfolk is too much (and a Network Railcard will get you 1/3rd off from Kings Lynn) you could park up somewhere inside Greater London and come in by tube/bus?

In some ways you're in a better position than fans from Kent who have to rely on Southeastern... 
    There comes a time when the arse-ache involved in getting to the ground far outweighs any possible pleasure/duty of actually being there.
    Exactly my thoughts
  • Options
    I travelled on the loop line from Crayford to the Valley until SouthEastern stopped it.  I now drive and park by The Barrier. Is the Eastmoor Street area in the Zone?   If it is they have need to bring back the Loop trains to allow fans access to the ground.
    southeastern were looking for a higher class of passenger, it loops on the Bexleyheath line now.
  • Options
    southeastern were looking for a higher class of passenger, it loops on the Bexleyheath line now.
    Any chance the loop can go via Southampton Central and the fare will be less than £50ish and the pricks won't be on strike. 
  • Options
    nope, live in Bexleyheath now....and yes I know that there are buses that go there and a loopy train etc...however I take kids with me, jump in my car and can be there and parked in about 15 mins, we generally arrive early enough and go in Crossbars, to park close enough walking distance to ensure we are home before 5.30 after the game.

I just don't think I'd bother on the bus
  • Options
    If they want people to stop using cars they have to provide the alternatives. Cutting people from Sidcup, Bexley, Crayford (obviously the higher class areas of Bexley!) off from the Loop line made no sense when they opened the Elizabeth line. Greenwich council, the government (who run South Eastern) need to do a bit of joined up thinking. This willbe bad news for CAFC building back our crowds.
  • Options
    nope, live in Bexleyheath now....and yes I know that there are buses that go there and a loopy train etc...however I take kids with me, jump in my car and can be there and parked in about 15 mins, we generally arrive early enough and go in Crossbars, to park close enough walking distance to ensure we are home before 5.30 after the game.

i was just going to say about the loop train, it takes less that 30 minutes from bexleyheath.

not all trains are on the loop though so getting home for 5:30 might be a bit of an ask
  • Options

Pretty much an identical scenario to myself. Even a loop train is still going to cost more money and take a lot longer to get to/from the ground especially after the game when by the time you'll have waited to have got on the train you could have driven it home. Midweeks and games with poor weather would also put people off going on public transport.

Busses an option yes but no chance of getting home by 5.30.

Longer more expensive inconvenient journeys I guess are going to have to be a change of mindset in future though that may outweigh actually bothering to go to games.