Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cardinal Sin RIP - funeral details p8

Hi all.

Many of you will know one of my best mates, Dave Thomson, known on here as @Cardinal Sin and also as Dave Peeps on his blog "Drinking During The Game"

I'm very sad to say that Dave lost his battle with cancer earlier today.

Dave was a great friend to many both inside and out of the Charlton community and one of the kindest, loyal, most generous people you could ever wish to meet.

A proud Scot albeit with a south London accent (except when meeting other Scots). He lived for years just around the corner from The Valley in Charlton Lane. He leaves a wife and 2 teenage daughters.

A Charlton fan since 1977, he followed the club all over the place until relatively recently, as well as attending Scotland football and Rugby matches. He was a regular away day traveller in the 80s and 90s, particularly on the train.

I could write a whole volume on what he meant to me and my family, but right now I just don't have the words.

Suffice to say that I'm honoured to have called him my friend and he will be sorely and deeply missed by all of those who knew him. The world has lost one of the good guys today, and is a poorer place for it.

RIP mate

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Fucking hell .. that’s a shocker. I’m absolutely lost for words. Have known Dave since the 1970’s when we Were growing up in Eltham. RIP Dave 😢 Sleep easy. Sending love and sincerest condolences to his family and friends. 

• Options
    That’s a real shame, known him for years he was a really nice guy. Knew he’d been ill for some time but he never really spoke to me about it. RIP Dave.
  • Options
    Sounded a great bloke and will clearly be missed by all who knew him. Never knowingly met, but maybe on one of the terraces. RIP to one of our own. 
  • Options
    So very sad.
    My love to all his family and friends.
    Rest easy fellow Addick ❤️
  • Options
    Read his posts and Drinking During The Game. Sad loss. Best wishes to his family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So sorry to read this.  Although I never met him, I have long enjoyed reading his posts and his blog.  Always thought his choice of CL pen-name indicated a good sense of humour.

My sympathy and thoughts for his family and friends.
  • Options
    A top, top man. Someone always generous and humorous, and I am so very sad to read this. RIP Dave, and my utmost condolences to his family and friends. x
  • Options
    I only “know” Dave through his posts and blog. May well be someone I recognise from years of support, but it’s horrible to see this bloody disease again take someone far too young. My condolences to his family and friends.
  • Options
    Without doubt a top top bloke, helped me out on a few occasions, rest in peace Dave, I know you will be watching all the games from high above 😢😢
  • Options
    RIP Dave & my thoughts are with his family & friends.
    I've seen Dave supporting Charlton since the 70's, although we weren't on speaking terms.
    Sleep tight fellow Addick. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Didn't know him but have read his blog for years, probably since it started back in 2007.  I hadn't realized he was Cardinal Sin on here but doesn't surprise me as he was a great poster on CL.

RIP to him and thoughts to his family.  From posts of those that knew him he was clearly as good a man in real life as he came across in the internet.

Ed. Having seen the pictures I now realize he was on some of the CL Battlefield tours to France/Belgium so I did meet him on those.  Some people have a friendly/welcoming aura and he appeared to be one of those.

• Options
    RIP Dave, thoughts are with his family <3
  • Options
    I’m not a Charlton fan so don’t know him, but from his posts, just seemed like a decent fella. RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I only met Dave a couple of times back when we came together to rid ourselves of the Belgian, but did have interaction with him here on the site quite frequently. 

Came over as a really nice bloke and dedicated Addick. 

My thoughts with his family and close friends

RIP Cardinal Sin
  • Options
    I never met him and only knew of him via Charlton Life. He always seemed like a decent poster. So sad that he was young enough to still have teenagers. Thoughts with his family and many friends.
  • Options
    Dave was a lovely guy to chat with - I'd been reading Drinking During The Game for years and took me quite a while to realise it was him who wrote it. I remember popping down to The Valley for the taxi adventure, that was a fun morning.

I'm so sorry to hear the news - my thoughts are with his family and friends. 
  • Options
    This is sad news. Obviously I've never met anyone on here but I do remember Cardinal Sin because of his username. My condolences to his family. Rest in peace Dave.🙏🙏🙏
  • Options
    Rip Dave. Pretty sure I met him in Belgium unless I've got mixed up. 

Always enjoyed his blog and his contributions on here. RIP
  • Options
    Like a fair few people I only met Dave through the protests against duchatelet both before, during and and after trips to Belgium. Really great guy,

I hadn't realised he was unwell, so the news was a surprise.

Wishing his family and friends all the best.