Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. They are going back out. Fanny, you didn't stop dancing did you? 
  • Options
    11.5 overs remaining
  • Options
    The Essex players might be ready to play, but the outfield will still be sodden. 

If nothing else, the ball will surely get very wet which won't help Essex.
  • Options
    The Essex players might be ready to play, but the outfield will still be sodden. 

And Harmer has complained about that too!
  • Options

And Harmer has complained about that too!
    Might as well finish now then!!
  • Options
    5 overs to negotiate
  • Options
    Talk of extra overs is non sensical given that the loss of a wicket or two will mean that no more can be bowled
  • Options
    We need that draw.
  • Options
    9 minutes and probably 3 overs to go
  • Options
    Pretty tough to explain that this is the same sport to somebody new to the game in terms of the circumstances, fields and batting styles if you flick between the streams of the Kent and Surrey matches!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great performance by young Jaydn
  • Options
    Picking Jaydn does look like quite a negative pick, adding an extra batsman, hoping to bat out a draw I imagine. I guess if we draw this game, it'll be considered the right call.
     :) 
  • Options
    FANTASTIC ! TINGLICIOUS ! 

That one was for Deadly. 

Bless their cotton socks ! 
  • Options
    Well done Jaydn, what a test you've come through. Also I thought Gilchrist played very responsibly. He looked calm and determined not to give it away, whereas Agar looked like someone after a quick cameo.

Deadly would be pleased we rescued a draw, and would have enjoyed seeing spinners dominating the bowling and the batsmen surrounded by fielders. 
  • Options
    So 17 out of 18 matches so far this season have ended in draws. Who knew that the ECB powers that be were so forward thinking to return to 8 points for a draw. I mean who needs 4 day cricket in the height of summer when you can be recompensed so well for bad weather. 
  • Options
    They tried to mess it all up today but so far I feel the batting has been relatively solid through the first two games compared to pre-season expectations?
  • Options
    Would have taken a draw with Essex before the game started, and even more when they had us at 19-2, and variously as the wickets tumbled in true Kentish fashion. Anyway, we come away with a hard fought draw, particularly hard fought be the middle order, so I'm going to be happy about that. 

But I'd be seething now if we'd failed to bat out two sessions to save a draw.
  • Options
    I imagine bowlers will be relieved that the Dukes ball is back for the next round of games.

Some very "soft" daddy hundreds, especially in Division 2 where the bowling isn't that great to start with. Ryan Higgins for example got a double century at No 5 for Middlesex in their first game, but never even got to bat in this game, as Middlesex ended up on 553-2!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They tried to mess it all up today but so far I feel the batting has been relatively solid through the first two games compared to pre-season expectations?
    These 2 games have been a batting paradise across the country, thanks to the Kookaburra  ball. Things will be MUCH harder against the Dukes ball. 
  • Options
    I believe this may be an opportune moment to say:

Never in doubt.

;)
  • Options
    This was only the third occasion in the history of the CC when all nine matches in one round of fixtures were drawn. The previous occasions were:

16-19 September 1994
    23-26 September 2019

Just 11 of the 14 CC games this season are being played in April, May and September.  
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Kent 2s have just started their 3-day game against Notts at Beckenham. Notts won the toss and elected to bat.

One of the aspects of 2nd XI cricket is the massive variance in terms of strength of opposition. Last week, for example, because of the injury to Sam Cook, Essex pulled from their team, mid game, both Aaron Beard and Ben Allison. They didn't have a particularly strong side, especially on the bowling front, as it was but doing that meant that their bowling attack possessed just one FC game between them. In today's Notts side they have Olly Stone, Steven Mullaney and Toby Pettman (who played a couple of games for us on loan a few seasons ago. 

As for us, from the team that played last week, Grant Stewart has been added as has Savin Perrera, a former England U19 cricketer who is soon to be 25 who has never actually played a pro game but is another who has been turning out for a Minor County as well as any number of 2nd XIs. Savin opened the batting for England in the 2018 World Cup and played alongside the likes of Tom Banton and Harry Brook. And there, in a nutshell, is the contrast that you can get between those selected for the U19s - one, who at the age of 25, is still trying to breakthrough, one whose career has stalled somewhat following a meteoric rise and a third who is in demand all around the world for his services in both red and white ball. 
  • Options
    This was only the third occasion in the history of the CC when all nine matches in one round of fixtures were drawn. The previous occasions were:

16-19 September 1994
    23-26 September 2019

Just 11 of the 14 CC games this season are being played in April, May and September.  
    A bad combination of playing in April, hence the rain delays, plus the Kookaburra ball giving bowlers none of the usual early season movement, while not compensating with the extra bounce of sun baked Aussie pitches.

Stevo will be glad he's retired, whereas Alastair Cook will be wishing he continued a bit longer  :D
  • Options
    edited April 16
    They must be using Kookaburra balls in the 2s. Notts are 101-0 off 18 overs. 
  • Options
    Tom Davis, who came through our academy, is one homegrown fast bowler who many at the county thought had the potential to make it. Injuries played a big part in stalling his career. He's 23 now but clearly not given up (trialed at our pre-season open day too) and is currently playing for Warwickshire 2s where he has actually looked quite sharp in returning figures of 11-1-43-3.
  • Options
    Well done Tom - a fine player for Canterbury and (briefly) Lordswood.  He is one of if not the sharpest KCL bowler, plus a decent bat and excellent fielder too.
  • Options
    I see that Freddie Flintoff's two eldest sons, Corey and Rocky, are both playing for Lancashire 2s today. 
  • Options
    I originally stated that the 2s game is at Trent Bridge. It isn't. It's at Beckenham, the same as last week's 2s win 2s by 9 wickets. Which partially explains Notts current score of 180-1 off 36 overs.