Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    It's an interesting Surrey Lineup, I suspect Overton was down to play before he went down with a back injury this morning. Whether it was Ryan Patel or Cam Steel that has come into the side I'm not sure. Does indicate we are back to using Patel as an allrounder as we did when he first broke through after using him as an opener and then number 3 in the last 3 seasons.
    Surrey weren't going to drop the Div 1 leading wicket taker surely 
  • Options
    That is one horrible tail of ours. Parkinson is down to bat at 8 followed by Jas, Arafat and Garrett. 

Cohen, Quinn, Agar and Gilchrist are presumably all injured and that Stewart is deemed fit enough given that he only bowled 3 overs in the 2s second innings this week. That leaves just Klaassen (don't know whether he wasn't considered or injured too) and the yet to arrive Swanepoel
  • Options
    Bizarre that Agar and Gilchrist are both missing from the side. Surely BOTH of them can't have failed fitness tests at the last minute?
  • Options
    2-0 and they off for bad light
  • Options
    It's an interesting Surrey Lineup, I suspect Overton was down to play before he went down with a back injury this morning. Whether it was Ryan Patel or Cam Steel that has come into the side I'm not sure. Does indicate we are back to using Patel as an allrounder as we did when he first broke through after using him as an opener and then number 3 in the last 3 seasons.
    Pope choosing to only play at The Oval I see. Can't blame him when he's Bradman on his own pitch, and mortal elsewhere!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Surrey weren't going to drop the Div 1 leading wicket taker surely 
    He said himself in his post match interview that he wasn't sure he'd get a game with Worral returning and the Dukes ball meaning we like to go with 5 seamers and one part time spinner. 
  • Options
    Bizarre that Agar and Gilchrist are both missing from the side. Surely BOTH of them can't have failed fitness tests at the last minute?
    I was surprised when I saw Arafat in the squad but then thought that either we were looking to rest Agar or Gilchrist or that both were carrying niggles and the hope was that one or other would be fit - but neither were hence the introduction of Jas. 
  • Options
    The curse of Canterbury. Guaranteed to affect any quick bowler, even for the opposition.
  • Options
    I know I keep mentioning Canterbury's micro climate but we are the only game not playing. It's fine in North Kent - perhaps we should have played on the Beckenham Road!
  • Options
    There's been a somewhat vicious rumour circulating and one I'm really not sure that I can pass it on. But, anyway, I will. By all accounts, Kent and Charlton share the same medical and fitness teams. It appears that, at one point, the physio in question was so confused that he told firstly Walks that Chuks was fine to open the bowling and secondly NJ that Quinn was clear to play a full 90 minutes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had a really weird dream a couple of weeks ago - so weird that I can remember it! It went like this...

Kent CCC, along with Charlton Athletic (the Methven mob) bought The Valley from Roland for a large sum of money, with the intention of sharing it between cricket county and football club. They knocked down the west stand, extended new (smaller) stands all the way back around the current car park and placed the cricket square approximately where the dug outs are now. The ground then became much bigger, and better, than Beckenham (which had been sold for housing, enabling the purchase price for The Valley to be met), and had a larger capacity than even The Oval (!). From the football perspective, the fans were able to fit into the current three sides, and in time the Jimmy Seed stand would be built to mirror the north end of the ground.

Weird, vivid, dream...chances of reality? Zero.
  • Options
    Please don't shot me but Ollie Sykes is a Dulwich boy and has been at Surrey since the age of 11
  • Options
    Please don't shot me but Ollie Sykes is a Dulwich boy and has been at Surrey since the age of 11
    Ah of course, wouldn’t have it any other way. 
  • Options
    They are back out 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Crawley caught at third slip off the bowling of Worrall for 5 (5)

6-1
  • Options
    Compton LBW Worrall 3 (25)

9-2
  • Options
    I umpired him when he captained the school last year in a four team tournament (vs Aus, SA, and NZ school teams).  He was turning it square - right arm off spin from round the wicket, pitching (well) outside off stump, and the ball going well down leg side at height.  It was a very generous pitch! He took a few wickets as they bowled the Kiwis out cheaply, and then opened for Tonbridge School in their innings.  Of course, the Kiwis, having seen the profligate turn and bounce opened with their own offie, who had Ollie caught at short leg first ball! He's a nice lad, and looks a tidy cricketer, and it is a shame he's not going to be playing for Kent...
  • Options
    55-2 off 17

One man is putting bat to ball whilst the other is holding his end up!

DBD         41* (47)
    Leaning     4* (25)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 19
    Thinking about the situation. there is clear evidence that there was never any intention to play Jas, apart from the fact that he wasn't in the original 14 of course. Arafat didn't bowl in the second Notts 2s innings so was clearly being saved for the possibility of playing in the 1s. Whereas Jas bowled another 10 overs and 20 in total. Ordinarily, given that workload, it is questionable whether Kent would have allowed a seamer to play a club 50 over game following a four day match let alone back to back matches and eight days of cricket on the bounce. The fact that he won't do anything today isn't really the point - he still has to go through all the usual warm ups etc etc each and every day. Mental and physical fatigue isn't restricted to the effects of bowling. 
  • Options
    53* off 75 balls to DBD
    Leaning 24* (56)

87-2 off 27 overs 
  • Options
    100 up
  • Options
    Pope choosing to only play at The Oval I see. Can't blame him when he's Bradman on his own pitch, and mortal elsewhere!
    Pope (and Atkinson) are centrally contracted to England who wanted them rested from this game.
  • Options
    No sooner than DBD and Leaning reach the 100 partnership mark than the former is LBW to Lawes for 70 (109). We have sent Garrett in as nightwatchman.

109-3
  • Options
    Honours even on the day. We couldn't win the game today but, at 9-2, we certainly could have ended up losing it had we been skittled. So credit to DBD and Leaning for their 100 partnership but there will be a heavy reliance on Leaning, Denly, Finch and Evison to get us to a meaningful score.

111-3 off 39 overs

Leaning 30* (83)
    Garrett    1* (12)  
  • Options
    Crawley will be cursing himself for not playing against the Kookaburra and having this week off instead!
  • Options
    Thinking about the situation. there is clear evidence that there was never any intention to play Jas, apart from the fact that he wasn't in the original 14 of course. Arafat didn't bowl in the second Notts 2s innings so was clearly being saved for the possibility of playing in the 1s. Whereas Jas bowled another 10 overs and 20 in total. Ordinarily, given that workload, it is questionable whether Kent would have allowed a seamer to play a club 50 over game following a four day match let alone back to back matches and eight days of cricket on the bounce. The fact that he won't do anything today isn't really the point - he still has to go through all the usual warm ups etc etc each and every day. Mental and physical fatigue isn't restricted to the effects of bowling. 
    Jack Leaning has confirmed that both Agar and Gilchrist have niggles. 
  • Options
    How did I know that would be the case ? 
  • Options
    Jack Leaning has confirmed that both Agar and Gilchrist have niggles. 
    Are they the same as the (in)famous Charlton niggles ?