Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2024

Comments

• Options
    Notts 2s 377-6 off 76 overs at close of play. 
  • Options
    Notts 443-6 dec
    Kent 81-2 
  • Options
    Matt Walker has confirmed that Kent have failed in their attempt to sign an overseas seamer on a short term contract. So we will have to do with what we have. Grant Stewart is playing against Notts and returned figures in their first innings of 15-2-61-0
  • Options
    Tom Davis, who came through our academy, is one homegrown fast bowler who many at the county thought had the potential to make it. Injuries played a big part in stalling his career. He's 23 now but clearly not given up (trialed at our pre-season open day too) and is currently playing for Warwickshire 2s where he has actually looked quite sharp in returning figures of 11-1-43-3.
    Tom has taken 5-75 in the 2nd innings for Warwickshire giving him match figures of 28-3-118-8. In the current "land of the blind", taking 8 wickets anywhere is "king".

Some three or four years ago it was suggested that he was actually the fastest of all the Kent bowlers pre season. Then injuries and one suspects confidence, as a result, took a bit of a knock so it's great to see him back. What is strange is why he isn't playing for our 2s as he was certainly at the open trials but, perhaps, familiarity breeds contempt. Or, a more likely reason and strange as it sounds, is that we actually have too many seamers (11) already on our books and there isn't scope to give a permanent contract to another one - Agar, Gilchrist and Garrett are currently in the 1s, we have three playing in the 2s (Stewart, Jas and Arafat), Cohen (out for the season), Evison and Quinn are all injured, Klaassen is really white ball only and Swanepoel has yet to arrive. That's not to say that we couldn't offer him say a short term contract come the 50 over comp but, one suspects that if he does put a string of performances together, he will already have been signed by someone else. That would be a shame because he is Kent, born and bred and did come through all our age group teams and the Academy. 
  • Options
    Well bowled Tom!  Will he turn out for Canterbury, back in the Premier Division this season?
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Well bowled Tom!  Will he turn out for Canterbury, back in the Premier Division this season?
    Unless he gets a contract at another county and has to relocate I see no reason why he wouldn't.   
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Unless he gets a contract at another county and has to relocate I see no reason why he wouldn't.   
    One of our own.
  • Options
    End of day 3:

Notts 443-6 dec
    Kent  296-5 dec (Richardson 58, O'Riordan 70, Carney 71*, Stewart 50)
    Notts 82-1
  • Options
    Disappointing, considering the number of players that Kent have produced

• Options
    End of day 3:

Notts 443-6 dec
    Notts 82-1
    Why have we declared? Are we desperate to give our bowlers more miles in their legs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    End of day 3:

Notts 443-6 dec
    Notts 82-1
    Why have we declared? Are we desperate to give our bowlers more miles in their legs?
    I suspect, on the one hand, Kent have had a chance to look at all the batsmen they want to, including a couple of trialists - we have a couple of Academy boys who have done nothing in the match to date but that can be part and parcel of being in the side for some when they first play for the 2s. On the other hand, being the last day tomorrow and with a lead of 229 already, Notts will almost certainly at lunch (if not sooner) declare thus giving the game some meaning and that will give also those same batsmen of ours that the management want to see another opportunity to bat. 
  • Options

I genuinely believe it is the location of the ground that sets us back. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

What Beckenham? Aim is obviously to spread the women’s game geographically. 
    Time for Kent to concentrate solely on Canterbury and the first team?
  • Options
    Notts smashed 152 for the loss of one wicket off 19 overs this morning to set a target of 382 for us to win. In reply and at lunch, we are 36-0 off 10 overs meaning that we have a minimum of 65 overs to get another 346 runs. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    MrOneLung said:

Canterbury is not easy to get to by public transport, particularly from the main Canterbury West station, and it's a long walk. I would go to many more games at Canterbury if there was a decent link to Canterbury West. It must put others off too.
  • Options
    edited April 18
    Squad for the game against Surrey commencing tomorrow. With the return of Crawley and Evison, one suspects that the three to be left out will be Muyeye, Jaydn and Arafat

• Options
    edited April 18
    The 2s match has been drawn - Kent finish on 200-5 (Ekansh 42, Perera 50, Richardson 65* & O'Riordan 26) 

So Ross Richardson, 23 and previously in the Surrey Academy who is a keeper/bat (although he hasn't had the gloves in his two games for us), has had scores in his four innings of 46*, 57, 58 and 65*. 
  • Options
    kentred2 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I was thinking Canterbury is not very accessible and that may have counted against us 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    kentred2 said:
    MrOneLung said:

I was thinking Canterbury is not very accessible and that may have counted against us 
    But Chelmsford is ???
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    kentred2 said:
    MrOneLung said:

But Chelmsford is ???
    32 mins from Liverpool St

what is Canterbury from a London station - 90mins or maybe an hour if on the expensive super fast train from St Pancras 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's raining. Umpires will inspect once it stops.  
  • Options
    It's a bit early for Fanny to be doing her rain dance 💃 
  • Options
    edited April 19
    There is something quite sad (which you won't appreciate given your allegiances) when the second thought after "why are we on our third 4-day game of the season when we are still in the middle of April?" is "well at least we aren't going to lose if it stays like this!" Such is the height of the bar of expectation of a Kent supporter. 
  • Options
    Oi !!!!

You can go off people....
  • Options
    edited April 19
    There is something quite sad (which you won't appreciate given your allegiances) when the second thought after "why are we on our third 4-day game of the season when we are still in the middle of April?" is "well at least we aren't going to lose if it stays like this!" Such is the height of the bar of expectation of a Kent supporter. 
    Apart from supporting different counties you and me are both on the same page when it comes to most things cricket. 
    3 country games in April is a joke. 
    As for the Hundred, don't get me started. 
  • Options
    Surrey won the toss & elected to bowl.

No Agar ? 
  • Options
    Won’t get 10 wickets let alone 20 with that line up. What a farce 
  • Options
    Surrey won the toss & elected to bowl.

No Agar ? 
    Ffs Agar is in my fantasy team....
  • Options
    Surrey won the toss and have elected to bowl. However, there are some major changes from the last game - out go Muyeye, Jaydn, Agar and Gilchrist. In come Crawley, Evison, Arafat and Singh (who wasn't even in the 14). Can only think that one or both of our quicks have failed fitness tests. 
  • Options
    It's an interesting Surrey Lineup, I suspect Overton was down to play before he went down with a back injury this morning. Whether it was Ryan Patel or Cam Steel that has come into the side I'm not sure. Does indicate we are back to using Patel as an allrounder as we did when he first broke through after using him as an opener and then number 3 in the last 3 seasons.