Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    The big questions are, does Jones know the problems and does he have the personnel to fix them? If we start at the first one, he needs to figue them out quickly. Not much he can do about the second one but hope.
  • Options
    The big questions are, does Jones know the problems and does he have the personnel to fix them? If we start at the first one, he needs to figue them out quickly. Not much he can do about the second one but hope.
    If he can't see the problems he's not up for the job 
    Our defending is still all over the shop the amount of times we got done down our left side yesterday was unreal 
    Terrible marking on set plays
    The lack of shutting player's down the list goes on & unless he sorts this out ASAP 
    We will never get the convenience back into the side as once we go a goal down that's it heads drop & game over there is definitely enough in this side to avoid the drop just needs worked on in the right areas 
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Gribbo said:
    How many of today's starting 11 would you definitely like to keep for next season. 

May is the only 1 I'd be really 
    disappointed with if he left.

That in itself shows you how fucking dreadful our recruitment has een 
    May
    Bakinson 
    Coventry
    May, yes
    Bakinson- another Gilbey
    Coventry-Dobbo without the tackle
    I weren't saying they should go into the Hall of Fame or anything mate, just that I think those players could do a job in any decent League 1 side. But, I suppose not genuinely wanting to get rid of every player in the squad, except May, is going to be scoffed at on here from now on in. 🙄
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Ladapo was a decent player for Ipswich. Maybe the injury has ruined him. 
  • Options
    PAR (posting after reading). It’s all been said but only positives were Isted an improvement on AMB, good cameo from Camara so hope he is fit to start soon, Kanu did well, Jones our best player, and I’m not as down on Coventry’s performance as some are, need to remember he’s young and inexperienced thrown into a relegation threatened team where he’s expected to replace Dobbo.

Negatives too numerous to mention but T. Watson was awful and Ladapo too. Edun poor as was Gillesphy, L. Watson and Bakinson anonymous, Thomas and REG just meh and Alfie now cutting a very frustrated figure.

NJ needs to perform a miracle to keep this disjointed, rag tag and bobtail bunch in League One.

Oh, where was Ness? Was our best player last Saturday.
    I agree with all of that, and agree that Jones stood out yesterday because he had Smith in his pocket and kept it simple. He’s been poor for a few weeks, but it’ll be a real bonus if he’s turned a corner. 
    Ness must have picked up a knock or is ill, you’d think, as he’s been improving. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not signing a creative number 10 is going to see us relegated isn’t it. 

Yep, proper fucked us. 
  • Options
    Ladapo was a decent player for Ipswich. Maybe the injury has ruined him. 
    When we signed him he hadn't played for about a year. 
    Was recovering from a serious injury. 
    Had no pre season. 
    Whoever signed him on the back of that and expected him to hit the ground running is an idiot. 
    Oh , I didn’t know that thought he’d played a bit part for them this season ffs
    everyone we sign is crocked/ shit or both 

Bakinsons attempted shot at the far post had the look of a non footballer all about him
  • Options
    Alfie May , 1 in 10 , is offering nothing atm and obviously has his early season form and rightfully gains good grace through that , yes there is no service but that’s the same for all our strikers .
    he used to look to have a bang from anywhere now seems too timid to have a crack 
    need him to find his mojo again 

• Options
    T. Watson and Edun were both poor for me. The inability to cross the ball will cost us. Personally felt the midfield did little wrong, Bakinson lacks polish but makes up for it with athleticism, which I feel will be vital in this relegation scrap. Wanted a little more from L. Watson. 

Ladapo...well, he looks a completely different player to the one who gained promotion with Ipswich last year.

I would personally switch to a diamond now.

Isted
    Ramsay Jones Thomas Edun
                     REG
           Coventry Bakinson
                   L. Watson
                May     Kanu

This would give us the option to switch to a three if needed, with REG dropping deep.

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Leuth said:
    RedRobin said:
    Yeah we are down! 
    We're really not 
    Did you go yesterday? Our form is relegation, no win in 13, no clean sheet in what 18 games? We are bottom of the form league, every points per game prediction has us finishing 22nd. You are delusional if you think we ain’t bang in trouble, we need a miracle and I’m hoping Jones can do it. 
    Yeah, we're in trouble. What I object to is the idea we're already down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At this point, staying up is a miracle. We have four games coming up where I can't see us getting a single point. If we do stay up Nathan Jones has performed a miracle. We were so bad today it angers me how little some of these players seem to care.
    I think jones will shake it up and we will
    pick up points when where we aren't expected to, it's the Charlton way!

Hopefully camara back will be massive for us. 
    I have "liked" this but more out of hope than expectation.
  • Options
    I love the " I told you so" approach. I said back in January that changing the manager wouldn't make a difference. And I know fuck all about football.

Regarding the nightmare that is dropping to the 4th division. You do know that there are leagues below that? If we are lucky we can do a Lincoln.
    Got to agree. I think the manager role is overrated. If you have crap/average players theres not much a manager can do.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    .gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    Yes, because playing in an empty Valley is soul destroying. You’d hope we’d be in with a promotion push, but that isn’t guaranteed. 
    Empty Valley .   It’s been much worse than this. 
    Last six home games of 73/74 season average 3691 per game and we won 4 of those drawing 1 and only losing ONE.

PS Halifax was 72/73 ..,,3015 attendance.

I remember those days well.

Soul Destroying I agree with empty it’s been a lot worse.
    …half a century ago!
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Croydon said:
    all together now .. THAT'S BECAUSE OUR SQUAD IS NEITHER BUILT NOR SUITED TO PLAY A BACK THREE !! .. as Stephen Hawking might have said 'it ain't fecking rocket science' .. sort it out Jones AND quickly

EDIT .. however, back 3 or back 4, the weakness in the air defending long throws is NOT acceptable
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Croydon said:
    all together now .. THAT'S BECAUSE OUR SQUAD IS NEITHER BUILT NOR SUITED TO PLAY A BACK THREE !! .. as Stephen Hawking might have said 'it ain't fecking rocket science' .. sort it out Jones AND quickly
    Out of interest, what formation are we built to play?

because we don’t have wingers, so can’t play a 433 or 4231

i would say this squad is more built towards a 352 than anything else (granted not saying much)

it’s either this or a diamond in my opinion
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Out of interest, what formation are we built to play?

because we don’t have wingers, so can’t play a 433 or 4231

i would say this squad is more built towards a 352 than anything else (granted not saying much)

it’s either this or a diamond in my opinion
    4 4 2 .. the best formation for teams struggling defensively .. any other 'formation' is too complex for our squad i m o,  especially as we have so many new players to mould into some semblance of togetherness .. KISS .. keep it simple stupid
  • Options
    Highlight of the game from me was giving shit to a bloke in a white shirt....