Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 11
    My team for Tuesday. If Dobson started, I'd consider Coventry at the top of the diamond for more energy. 

Is the left back a portion of fries & if so is there not a Large option ?
    Very good, you can’t beat a bit of sibling bants 😉. Anyway rumour has it you used play full back 😲,
  • Options
    Don't think I'd risk starting Camara as tempting as it would be , would be too fearful he'd get another injury like he did away at Wigan when he last came back. Just hope it's not 352 again 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    dickad1 said:
    FWIW.

Isted

Watson  Jones   Ness   Thomas
    Campbell   Camara   Coventry   Ladapo
                          May   Kanu

(Or Ramsay in for Watson and Edun for Ladapo) (and /'or Ladapo on the right instead of Campbell)
    That team would get carved wide open, never mind the fact Camara’s presumably a long way from being able to start. 

Like it or not, with the players we have we need to flood central areas of midfield.

You cant win games without scoring a goal. FACT, We need to win at least 5 more games. Play 352 or 532 with no creative players and with wingbacks who cant cross for the rest of the season and we will go down BOTTOM. 

Get the ball upfield. Take pressure off the defence. And just do something different.

13 without a win says what we've been doing hasn't been working.

442 was good enough for 100+ years of Association football. 
    2-3-5 in the 20s and 30s wasn’t it?
  • Options
    Also, I'll have what some of you are having, heard a fair few people when walking out say 'we still won't go down'. I don't know where the confidence comes from when we have one of the worst squads in the league, especially after losing 2 of our only good players. Proper relegation fodder squad.
    But Scott told us he had asembled a squad good enough to challenge for the play offs. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    My team for Tuesday. If Dobson started, I'd consider Coventry at the top of the diamond for more energy. 

Is the left back a portion of fries & if so is there not a Large option ?
    Very good, you can’t beat a bit of sibling bants 😉. Anyway rumour has it you used play full back 😲,
    I did indeed. Mainly right back but filled in at left back when needed.....which makes me qualified to moan about all the right footed left backs we've had and why they are inept at crossing once they get near the opponents box, and then cut back onto their right foot which then loses momentum and everything breaks down. 
  • Options
    Also, I'll have what some of you are having, heard a fair few people when walking out say 'we still won't go down'. I don't know where the confidence comes from when we have one of the worst squads in the league, especially after losing 2 of our only good players. Proper relegation fodder squad.
    But Scott told us he had asembled a squad good enough to challenge for the play offs. 
    Scott talked the talk but has shown very clearly he couldn't walk the walk. 

The guy is either very stupid or a liar. You choose. 
  • Options
    That goal where the ball hit Watson on the head( surely he wasn't meant to be actually heading that... yeah you're right he was) was comical. The kid in the playground who doesn't like heading the ball or wasn't taught springs to mind. A Scott signing... says a lot. 
  • Options
    edited February 12
    I am hoping that the decisions going forwards are led by the manager. It is the only sensible way for a club in our position to approach it. I am also hoping the turn around with Dobbo is the start of this.

Going back to the wing backs. You sometimes make the pay off between poor defenders if they are great attackers. Seeing as ours are neither, why do we persist with them? If we can't replace them, surely we go to a diamond or 4-4-2. If there is a pressure from above to play the formation we are doing, all the more reason to get rid of it. Pragmatism should rule.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott talked the talk but has shown very clearly he couldn't walk the walk. 

The guy is either very stupid or a liar. You choose. 
    Both.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Bloody piss poor again.

But let’s keep the faith. It’s only the first game under Nathan Jones. Things are looking bad but we’ve got time to rally and lots of points to play for. 
    Agreed. We're stuck with these players, all we can do is continue to get behind them and hope Jones can pull something out of the bag. 
    Exactly. 
  • Options
    reckon we will survive on goal difference
    At the end of Feb it may be gone
  • Options
    Any positives from today?
    The meat pies aren't bad at Reading.
    Amazing train from Paddington to Reading
  • Options
    League 2 play offs 
  • Options
    Anyone get hit with coins and plastic bottles?
    I was fearful of being hit in (Block R30).
    1 CAFC fan broke a seat 2 rows in front of me before the game started. It was a gratuitous act, of a combination of disregard for anyone else's property and thoughtless clumsiness .After a long period of goading by CAFC fans , some Reading fans chucked plastic beer containers which was followed by one Reading fan I saw throwing something I couldn't see ( I think because it was too small) I studiously concentrated on the game. About half time a grandad  , a younger woman (the mum) and  2 young  boys who were sitting close to the edge near the Reading fans moved. The first boy about 8  y.o.looked close to tears. There were stewards around but were ineffectual as it was as it was going on from both sides.
    One  youth with a Charlton shirt and "Charlie" on the back was baiting the Reading fans from the first half was particularly poorly behaved and deserved being kicked out. I saw  coins on the ground by the stewards.  I heard from a CAFC fan somewhere behind me "You useless pig" at the time I took this to be directed at the Stewards . Highly inappropriate if that is the case, as there was one black steward and several asians, all could have been Muslim.
    Shortly after this I moved, partly delayed as its was a sell out and I expected there would be nowhere to sit. I found somewhere to stand. I saw 2 further  groups involving mothers and 2 children moving into an area infront and below of me, which I took to be them moving to safety.
    I had 2 adult sons with me who stayed in their seats when I moved. One was hit by a half full coke bottle fortunately it was a glancing blow and he did not react.

It seems "Charlie" has history. There is video on Twitter (X) of him fighting in a retail outlet car park-presumably after the game. Look up fans fighting , I'm no good at links etc.

I couldn't recommend going to any away game with children, it was alarming. I now have a low opinion of a large proportion of the "travelling fans" especially those in the teenage to 30ish age group. If you think CAFC fans a great or the best etc think again. Its not only the team that's a problem.

1.It was a mistake to sell the extra tickets as these would have been in a safe/security band between supporters

2. If parents are unwise enough bring children to an away game CAFC should sell them tickets in safe/protected areas.

3.Too few stewards.

4.Too many ill behaved fans, some that need to be banned from CAFC.

• Options
    I spoke to an agent on Saturday on the way home from Reading. He said that its well known that Ladapo has an absolutely shit attitude. He asked me "why do you think a championship team would shift one of their top scorers from last year?  He may have a point. i thought he was either lazy/useless or unfit. I hope unfit as i thought it was  good signing. 
  • Options
      I heard from a CAFC fan somewhere behind me "You useless pig" at the time I took this to be directed at the Stewards . Highly inappropriate if that is the case, as there was one black steward and several asians, all could have been Muslim.

Are you serious?
    Totally
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've only been dipping in and out of this thread, because it keeps depressing me...

However, being entirely unoriginal and looking at the formations posted, showing the shirts, I'm forced to agree that we would be much more likely to win if we put the Arsenal team out on the pitch (I'm sure no-one would notice).
  • Options
    edited February 12
    1 CAFC fan broke a seat 2 rows in front of me before the game started. It was a gratuitous act, of a combination of disregard for anyone else's property and thoughtless clumsiness .After a long period of goading by CAFC fans , some Reading fans chucked plastic beer containers which was followed by one Reading fan I saw throwing something I couldn't see ( I think because it was too small) I studiously concentrated on the game. About half time a grandad  , a younger woman (the mum) and  2 young  boys who were sitting close to the edge near the Reading fans moved. The first boy about 8  y.o.looked close to tears. There were stewards around but were ineffectual as it was as it was going on from both sides.
    One  youth with a Charlton shirt and "Charlie" on the back was baiting the Reading fans from the first half was particularly poorly behaved and deserved being kicked out. I saw  coins on the ground by the stewards.  I heard from a CAFC fan somewhere behind me "You useless pig" at the time I took this to be directed at the Stewards . Highly inappropriate if that is the case, as there was one black steward and several asians, all could have been Muslim.
    Shortly after this I moved, partly delayed as its was a sell out and I expected there would be nowhere to sit. I found somewhere to stand. I saw 2 further  groups involving mothers and 2 children moving into an area infront and below of me, which I took to be them moving to safety.
    I had 2 adult sons with me who stayed in their seats when I moved. One was hit by a half full coke bottle fortunately it was a glancing blow and he did not react.

It seems "Charlie" has history. There is video on Twitter (X) of him fighting in a retail outlet car park-presumably after the game. Look up fans fighting , I'm no good at links etc.

I couldn't recommend going to any away game with children, it was alarming. I now have a low opinion of a large proportion of the "travelling fans" especially those in the teenage to 30ish age group. If you think CAFC fans a great or the best etc think again. Its not only the team that's a problem.

1.It was a mistake to sell the extra tickets as these would have been in a safe/security band between supporters

2. If parents are unwise enough bring children to an away game CAFC should sell them tickets in safe/protected areas.

3.Too few stewards.

Dont disagree with most of this but I should add that, like some other clubs, Reading sell their cheapest seats next to the travelling fans to encourage "atmosphere" also know as trouble. I had the delight of a group of 12 to fifteen year olds all singing "we pay your benefits" at the Reading support. They hadn't been allocated seats in the area but migrated there for the potential trouble. Like King K and several others I moved to the open spaces at the front to avoid what was created by poor planning by the Reading Management when they changed the layout
    The stadium may originally have passed safety inspection but the ridiculous allocation of toilets and eating space for 3,000 away supporter looked to be very inadequate from a safety prespective. The away support space has also been reallocated this year and I do not recall it being as poor as that in a modern stadium. If we survive in this league, will give it a miss next year.
    With regard to the football I think the consensus on here with regard to Edun, T Watson and Ladapo, are correct. A look at the makeup of the Reading team should have shown management that Edun and T Watson would be easily removed from contact with the ball and Ladapo seems to measure his decision making with an Egg Timer. We already have to many who dither on the ball but he seems todither until even the option of passing backwards has gone. He has got to let his feet do the thinking his head is getting in the way.
  • Options

3.Too few stewards.

Dont disagree with most of this but I should add that, like some other clubs, Reading sell their cheapest seats next to the travelling fans to encourage "atmosphere" also know as trouble. I had the delight of a group of 12 to fifteen year olds all singing "we pay your benefits" at the Reading support. They hadn't been allocated seats in the area but migrated there for the potential trouble. Like King K and several others I moved to the open spaces at the front to avoid what was created by poor planning by the Reading Management when they changed the layout
    The stadium may originally have passed safety inspection but the ridiculous allocation of toilets and eating space for 3,000 away supporter looked to be very inadequate from a safety prespective. The away support space has also been reallocated this year and I do not recall it being as poor as that in a modern stadium. If we survive in this league, will give it a miss next year.
    With regard to the football I think the consensus on here with regard to Edun, T Watson and Ladapo, are correct. A look at the makeup of the Reading team should have shown management that Edun and T Watson would be easily removed from contact with the ball and Ladapo seems to measure his decision making with an Egg Timer. We already have to many who dither on the ball but he seems todither until even the option of passing backwards has gone. He has got to let his feet do the thinking his head is getting in the way.
    Was there, didn’t see any trouble or coin throwing during the game, and there was no trouble that I saw afterwards. No issues in the bit of the ground I was in.
  • Options
    Sat in the home end (Tunnel side) and could see items being thrown back and forth at Half Time between home and away fans. More stewards were deployed in the Reading end but they moved 10 minutes into the second half. 

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    dickad1 said:
    FWIW.

Isted

Watson  Jones   Ness   Thomas
    Campbell   Camara   Coventry   Ladapo
                          May   Kanu

(Or Ramsay in for Watson and Edun for Ladapo) (and /'or Ladapo on the right instead of Campbell)
    That team would get carved wide open, never mind the fact Camara’s presumably a long way from being able to start. 

Like it or not, with the players we have we need to flood central areas of midfield.

You cant win games without scoring a goal. FACT, We need to win at least 5 more games. Play 352 or 532 with no creative players and with wingbacks who cant cross for the rest of the season and we will go down BOTTOM. 

Get the ball upfield. Take pressure off the defence. And just do something different.

13 without a win says what we've been doing hasn't been working.

442 was good enough for 100+ years of Association football. 
    2-3-5 in the 20s and 30s wasn’t it?

Christmas tree formation according to my dad who was a fast winger who sometimes even took the ball with him on his sprints down the wing.
  • Options
    On the crowd incidents, it wasn't a surprise to me. Local away games always tend to have more problems. I didn't see any trouble outside, as 99% of the yoof involved wouldn't say boo to a goose if they actually were next to an opposition supporter.

There was a massive lack of stewarding, which I imagine was Reading saving money, considering the number of away fans and the stupid changes which have put home fans right next to the away section when there were loads of empty seats elsewhere in the ground. 

Clubs need to decide if there are allotted seats or not. I ended up climbing up to the back, as that's where my seat was meant to be, but there was no chance of sitting in it, so I ended up in a spare seat up there. If it had been open seating, I would have picked somewhere lower down. Looking around there were elderly people right at the back, who would I'm sure have preferred somewhere else.
  • Options

3.Too few stewards.

Was there, didn’t see any trouble or coin throwing during the game, and there was no trouble that I saw afterwards. No issues in the bit of the ground I was in.

Were you anywhere close to the Reading fans behind the goal? about halfway back?  If  not then I can understand because it looked peaceful to me. Just depends where you were
  • Options
    I was on the very far side away from the trouble but even from there I could see items constantly being thrown by the two sets of ‘fans’. 
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited February 13
    dmccart32 said:
    Reflecting on the game and reading the comments to which most are fairly accurate i can't believe that NJ won't make changes for tomorrow. If he doesn't then that means what we have as back-up is clearly not good enough. Review below and whether players should keep their place for Tuesday:

• Isted - Did OK, made a few decent saves and couldn't do too much about the goals - Retains Place
    • Thomas - Didn't do too much wrong, but should be more of an attacking threat from set pieces - Retains Place
    • Gillesphey - Awful in the first half, looked like he was running through treacle. I can't believe he's been hooked at half-time in last two away games, something has got to be wrong there. - Dropped
    • Jones - Again didn't look terrible, but always looks nervous on the ball to me - Retains Place
    • T. Watson - Looked way off the pace today, got back and made a few tackles and distribution was poor. - Bench or Dropped
    • Edun - Distribution and decision making very poor, got into 3 or 4 great positions but either didn't beat the first man or over hit the cross Bench or Dropped
    • L. Watson - Tries hard but it always seems to be on the fringes of the game, again tried to play that extra pass and seems to be opposed to taking a shot from the edge of the box - Retains Place (just)
    • Coventry - Made a few decent tackles and worked hard, but I think his distribution from corners was poor - Retains Place
    • Bakinson - Tough one because he was in and out of the game, does some things well but gets a little lost. Looks like he's more of a leader (potentially) in the team as you seen him talk a lot - Retains Place
    • May - Worked hard as always, but looks like he's lost a bit of confidence. Should have taken a shot earlier in the first half when put through but delayed and defender got back. No idea why they keep pumping long balls up to him! - Retains Place
    • Ladapo - I keep saying it every week..."he'll score today"...but he was way off the pace. Doesn't seem to be able to hold the ball up, looks laboured when he's trying to get in behind. Doesn't even show to feet or down the line. - Bench / Dropped

• SUBS:
    • T. Campbell - I'm not going to hammer him because he's only a kid, but IF he's in the squad on Tuesday...watch his warm up...the effort or enthusiasm just isn't there. Its the same whenever he plays, you don't feel like he interested. He makes poor decisions on the ball - Dropped Completely
    • REG - I've not been overly impressed since he joined to be honest...WHERE DOES HE PLAY?...Didn't really do anything apart from a poor touch to give them a throw-in towards the end. Maybe give him a go instead of Gillesphey. - Start 
    • Camara - Nice cameo from the bench, at least he attempted to carry the ball and looked like he had the energy and desire to get the ball moving quicker. Probably can't start as just coming back from injury. - Bench (only because of fitness)
    • Kanu - Tried and worked hard when he came on, decision making is average. Sometimes gets in great positions and doesn't know whether to pass or shoot and then does neither, happened at Blackpool when May was square towards the end. However, deserves a start against Lincoln - Start (down to effort alone)
    Nathan Jones
    • I noticed he was quite animated at times and was having a right go at Edun when he was in a wide position and cross was overhit and missed everyone. Also very angry with L.Watson at one point because he overhit a first time pass back to Jones when he could have turned with it in midfield.
    • Surprised he left on T.Watson and Edun to be honest because both were pretty bad.
    • Coventry on corners...distribution poor!
    • Overall he needs to get them to focus on their decision making and distribution in general and probably one of the biggest factors...CONFIDANCE!
    • Shows passion from the side-lines which is nice to see, but needs to make changes against Lincoln.
    Can't. Disagree with any of that.