Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options

Think we should go with something like this. A bit of a hybrid between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2. Defensively 4-4-2 and then when we have the ball Ramsay can bomb on, Thomas can form a back 3 and Anderson can tuck inside 

If Camara was fit enough to start he’d play the Anderson role. And if Jones thinks Dobson is mentally in the right place then he’d start over Bakinson 
  • Options
    FWIW.

Isted

Watson  Jones   Ness   Thomas
    Campbell   Camara   Coventry   Ladapo
                          May   Kanu

(Or Ramsay in for Watson and Edun for Ladapo) (and /'or Ladapo on the right instead of Campbell)
    That team would get carved wide open, never mind the fact Camara’s presumably a long way from being able to start. 

Like it or not, with the players we have we need to flood central areas of midfield.

• Options
    Dobson is in the right mood, he signs for the Hungarian team on Monday 
  • Options
    Unbelievable how many calls for 4-4-2 there are given the complaints our midfield don’t control anything!
    On what planet does minimising the number of CM’s to two, then lining up against midfields with three CM’s, make anyone feel we’d gain more control? 
    You’ve got teams playing box midfield variations to create 4 vs 3 scenarios and we want to go to a CM of 2. How does that make any sense?
    Simply play a diamond.
  • Options
    If Dobson is fit,he is the first name on the team sheet.
  • Options
    Hard to believe we can get much worse. Worst team in L1 at present with no team spirit and random signings throughout the season.

A lot of the players have no affinity with the club.

Certainly look like L2 standard.

• Options
    Has the Performance Tsar from Brighton rocked up yet? 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    NabySarr said:

Think we should go with something like this. A bit of a hybrid between 4-4-2 and 3-5-2. Defensively 4-4-2 and then when we have the ball Ramsay can bomb on, Thomas can form a back 3 and Anderson can tuck inside 

If Camara was fit enough to start he’d play the Anderson role. And if Jones thinks Dobson is mentally in the right place then he’d start over Bakinson 
    We can’t defend - moving them around the pitch makes no impact. Ours is not a formation problem as it’s a competence problem. Did you see our defending yesterday, not just for their 2 goals? Thomas, Watson, Edun, the midfield……..pathetic lack of competence. Teams just walk past us.

Question is ….do these players perform better with a better coach and better fitness?

I am not convinced, but I really hope i am proved wrong.
  • Options
    Champs85 said:
    I watched on stream yesterday and what I am struggling to fathom (and for the past couple of years now) is how we manage to turn decent players into duds. Look at our recruitment, on paper it has looked good: Ladapo who has scored double figures in this league for fun: Coventry such a highly rated youngster with experience of this league: gillesphey who starred for Plymouth in a promotion season: edun, a marauding wing back at this level who earned a move to the championship. The list goes on when you think about mcgrandles, gilbey, Fraser and so on, all poty worthy for pervious clubs and more than proven at this level. 

So this must run deeper than bad recruitment. There must be a toxicity at the club that cannot be broken, and I’m talking since before the latest owners came in. There seems to be a culture of failure. Is it due to standards? Training? Senior management? Is it the pressure of playing for a club like Charlton, still deemed in many peoples eyes as a ‘big club’ with a stadium far better than most in this league? Are players just coming for the money and don’t really care about performance and results? Is it the fan base getting on people’s backs early, creating panic and worry? 

We are in a rut and big time. I am hoping Nathan Jones is the man to sort this out and quickly, but to see that performance yesterday, knowing how important it was, in front of a new manager and with a sold out away end, is quite frankly disgusting. 

Anyway, onto Tuesday and let’s hope they get a rocket up their arse. Dropping to league 2 always seemed laughable but not anymore. 

Totally agree.
    The mentality of “we’re too big for this League” has a lot to answer for.
    In the Club, among players and impatient fans.
    We’re not the first “big club” to struggle to recover from dropping to League One (or, God forbid, League Two).
    Off top of head
    Luton,Swansea, Brighton, Wolves ,Portsmouth and don’t forget Oldham.
  • Options
    Be an exciting run in. Looking too soft all over the pitch from what I saw. Jones should inspire a lot more grit and determination into us. 
    Could be Bromley away next year if it goes tits up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Champs85 said:
    I watched on stream yesterday and what I am struggling to fathom (and for the past couple of years now) is how we manage to turn decent players into duds. Look at our recruitment, on paper it has looked good: Ladapo who has scored double figures in this league for fun: Coventry such a highly rated youngster with experience of this league: gillesphey who starred for Plymouth in a promotion season: edun, a marauding wing back at this level who earned a move to the championship. The list goes on when you think about mcgrandles, gilbey, Fraser and so on, all poty worthy for pervious clubs and more than proven at this level. 

So this must run deeper than bad recruitment. There must be a toxicity at the club that cannot be broken, and I’m talking since before the latest owners came in. There seems to be a culture of failure. Is it due to standards? Training? Senior management? Is it the pressure of playing for a club like Charlton, still deemed in many peoples eyes as a ‘big club’ with a stadium far better than most in this league? Are players just coming for the money and don’t really care about performance and results? Is it the fan base getting on people’s backs early, creating panic and worry? 

We are in a rut and big time. I am hoping Nathan Jones is the man to sort this out and quickly, but to see that performance yesterday, knowing how important it was, in front of a new manager and with a sold out away end, is quite frankly disgusting. 

Anyway, onto Tuesday and let’s hope they get a rocket up their arse. Dropping to league 2 always seemed laughable but not anymore. 

Totally agree.
    The mentality of “we’re too big for this League” has a lot to answer for.
    In the Club, among players and impatient fans.
    We’re not the first “big club” to struggle to recover from dropping to League One (or, God forbid, League Two).
    Off top of head
    Luton,Swansea, Brighton, Wolves ,Portsmouth and don’t forget Oldham.
    add Burnley, they spent a good few seasons in the bottom division/league
  • Options
    edited February 11
    dickad1 said:
    FWIW.

Isted

Watson  Jones   Ness   Thomas
    Campbell   Camara   Coventry   Ladapo
                          May   Kanu

(Or Ramsay in for Watson and Edun for Ladapo) (and /'or Ladapo on the right instead of Campbell)
    That team would get carved wide open, never mind the fact Camara’s presumably a long way from being able to start. 

Like it or not, with the players we have we need to flood central areas of midfield.

You cant win games without scoring a goal. FACT, We need to win at least 5 more games. Play 352 or 532 with no creative players and with wingbacks who cant cross for the rest of the season and we will go down BOTTOM. 

Get the ball upfield. Take pressure off the defence. And just do something different.

13 without a win says what we've been doing hasn't been working.

442 was good enough for 100+ years of Association football. 
  • Options
    Champs85 said:

This question appears to be on the lips of most of us and has been for several seasons. 

I understand that the verb "To Charltonize" will be included in the next publication of the OED.

But seriously, maybe AS & co should be engaging an exorcist in a last ditch effort to rid our club of the demons that have seemingly gained a foot hold within it. 

Or maybe sign them up ....
    Bring in a Shamen asap.
  • Options
    Campbell should be nowhere near our starting xi for the foreseeable. He has been awful in his recent cameos. Wasn’t there a rumour he wants out?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    No he doesn't. Signs for them at end of season. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well I’ve read enough of the outpouring over this latest defeat. We all said NJ won’t be able to turn it round immediately. Yes everything was set up for us to put in a good performance yesterday (big game, new manager bounce, big following) and the reason it didn’t transpire despite a decent start can be put down to the following in my opinion;

we are devoid of confidence being on such a bad run
    too many recent changes to personnel (need time to gel)
    Big game for Reading too and they’re a side in very good form in a false position due to the points deduction. 

In my opinion it’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough (shit as some keep saying). Nor is it down to the owners who have invested (NJ would not have been cheap) and the players brought in were in the main all regarded by the fan base as an upgrade. As for the SMT, I don’t see how their actions can effect playing performance (other than the Dobbo situation although that may anyway be out of their hands like CBT). If a player doesn’t want to sign a new contract there’s nothing can be done.  

We need a break. Something that’ll break the cycle. A lucky win or somehow it suddenly clicks and we play a blinder. All we can do is keep the faith and hope and pray NJ can turn it around
    Are you watching the same games as us?

NJ is NOT the problem, but the lack of quality across the team is the real issue - that is 100% down to the Board and Scott, as is the fact they kept MA for 8 games more than they should have. The Board closed off any chance to uplift the squad in the window, choosing to acquire half fit players.

Club is badly run and if we fall to L2, it’s on the Board.

Like you, i hope we get a break, but thats a long shot in my view.
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    ross1 said:
    When I wrote that, the information was correct 
  • Options
    I’d go for

GK: Isted

RB: Reg
    CB: Jones
    CB: Gillesphey (is Ness available?)
    LB: Thomas

DM: Dobson
    CM: L Watson
    CM: Coventry
    AM: Bankinson

CF: May 
    CF: Kanu 

• Options
    Talal said:
    Talal said:
    Didn’t have our goalkeeper failing the Charlton Life height test on my bingo card today. Isted is 6ft 1in. Same height as the England number one, Jordan Pickford. 
    He doesn't look it. 

He’s not the one in the hat. 
    Bit late on that joke. 
    PWR. You sound fun. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redbuttle said:
    ross1 said:
    After today's turn of events, that may not even happen.
  • Options
    Look on the bright side everyone! We could finally be getting out of league 1
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Well I’ve read enough of the outpouring over this latest defeat. We all said NJ won’t be able to turn it round immediately. Yes everything was set up for us to put in a good performance yesterday (big game, new manager bounce, big following) and the reason it didn’t transpire despite a decent start can be put down to the following in my opinion;

we are devoid of confidence being on such a bad run
    too many recent changes to personnel (need time to gel)
    Big game for Reading too and they’re a side in very good form in a false position due to the points deduction. 

In my opinion it’s nothing to do with the players not being good enough (shit as some keep saying). Nor is it down to the owners who have invested (NJ would not have been cheap) and the players brought in were in the main all regarded by the fan base as an upgrade. As for the SMT, I don’t see how their actions can effect playing performance (other than the Dobbo situation although that may anyway be out of their hands like CBT). If a player doesn’t want to sign a new contract there’s nothing can be done.  

We need a break. Something that’ll break the cycle. A lucky win or somehow it suddenly clicks and we play a blinder. All we can do is keep the faith and hope and pray NJ can turn it around
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    My team for Tuesday. If Dobson started, I'd consider Coventry at the top of the diamond for more energy. 

• Options
    My team for Tuesday. If Dobson started, I'd consider Coventry at the top of the diamond for more energy. 

no way Coventry plays as a 10, doesn’t suit his style at all. If Dobson plays then it will be Coventry for Camara and there’s 0 chance of Camara starting anyway. You’d also have to swap REG and Thomas in that team as REG is in no way a LB 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Hopefully the apparent good news regarding George means he is available for Tuesday, long as his head hasn't been turned by all this too and fro stuff, and he is in the right frame of mind to help get us out of the shite we find ourselves in...get us ok by the end of the season, and maybe George could be persuaded to stay...🤷‍♂️, Now this could be a big test for Nathan...

Come on George we need you for the next 3 months...at least
  • Options
    fenaddick said:

no way Coventry plays as a 10, doesn’t suit his style at all. If Dobson plays then it will be Coventry for Camara and there’s 0 chance of Camara starting anyway. You’d also have to swap REG and Thomas in that team as REG is in no way a LB 
    Was under the impression that REG is versatile along the back but in hindsight Thomas may suit better. I think if Camara gets the green light then I wouldn't be surprised for him to do 60 minutes.

Coventry has an engine and can work hard up top and will drop to win the ball when needed and apparently, can pick a pass. Might seem unorthodox but feel it could work personally.

• Options
    timken said:
    I started supporting Charlton in 1967.
    More than at any time I can remenber we,the fans need to get behind the team for every minute of each of the last 15 games.
    If we get on the backs of the team at any stage between now and the end of the season we are in trouble.
    This is when the "support" of the fans is needed.
    Good call timken, but is it ok to target that prick Andy Scott ?