Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: Saturday 10th February 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Options
    edited February 11
    I’m on my own here Ladapo will come good 
    After we've got him match fit and he's back at Ipswich maybe, we are a charity don't you know...
  • Options
    Andy Scott’s quote about us no longer being a losing club is definitely up there with big Nimers bitches and bread one.
  • Options
    We left with 10 mins to go - couldn’t see us scoring if we played a week - we were near where the Reading fans in the exec box were behaving like idiots, but could also see the stuff being thrown at half time - Reading have always had a small loon element 

Out of interest, what was it like post match outside ?

My ‘trouble radar’ was telling me it was likely to get a bit dodgy afterwards 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Re the Reading numpties throwing stuff, watching on the stream I noticed Harry looking behind him just at the end of the first half i think it was, and thought at the time something was being thrown at him, he didn't say anything to the ref, but was def not happy...
  • Options
    Re the Reading numpties throwing stuff, watching on the stream I noticed Harry looking behind him just at the end of the first half i think it was, and thought at the time something was being thrown at him, he didn't say anything to the ref, but was def not happy...
    Think that was a tennis ball thrown onto the pitch, ref was telling him to get on with the GK but Isted wasn't sure if he should go and get the tennis ball off the pitch first
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    What chance have we got when this is the level of delivery our wingbacks offer

Exactly.

Wingbacks can give you the best of both worlds....or the worst. Sadly we have the latter. Can't defend & can't cross.

Unless Nathan Jones can train them sufficiently enough that they can cross the ball, on the run, beat the first defender & land the ball somewhere around the penalty spot then it's best we forget 352/532 and go with something that gives the midfield more solidity & creatively. 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    I didn't want to be masochistic and read all the posts !

I said keep them at Sparrows lane morning and afternoon until we have a team that are not strangers and have partnerships all over the field because we are in dire straits and the lack of confidence is palpable. 

I do find the yo-yo of emotions by several posters with this is the worst team in history to betting on Cafc to finish in the top half of the table before Nathan Jones 1st game bizarre and then after losing to a decent in form Reading team(docked 4 points) we are the worst team in our history again !

Losing both CBT and Dobson now and not letting them walk away with thanks at the end of season for finishing 16th( with luck) is a major gamble by Andy Scott and his performance and decisions make his job as technical director untenable after this season even if we finish 20th and stay up.

16 steps to safety become 15 steps and Charlton could emulate Palace and Millwall who have both played in the 4th tier.

• Options
    Just watched the goals,I am in despair.From both throw ins 4-5 players went for the ball,none of them anywhere near it,this obviously left free players ,and  as is always going to happen free shots on goal.
    FFs,on a sunday morning at Hackney Marshes,teams will delegate a player to attack the ball leaving adequate cover to deal with the ball when it drops loose.
    Who is organising this defense,during the match,I am sure they address the situation in training.I keep on about Inniss,I am convinced his strength and height would have prevented many of these goals.(yes of course there would be the odd cock up,but nowhere near what we have seen this year).

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    CatAddick said:
    Big shout out to a large contingent of Charlton fans today who were so ridiculously badly behaved. You know who you are, you know what you were doing, stop being absolute idiots and just support the team and watch the bloody game. Morons. 
    come on, what did they do? 
    Women and kids had to run to safety because some of our morons and morons from Reading started throwing stuff. I nearly got hit by a coin, my son got hit by a vape, Charlton 'fans' causing the large majority of the issues made worse admittedly by poor stadium management. It wasn't just kids either it was fully grown men just acting like they've never had a beer before.

one bloke, in his rush to join the action, tripped on the steps and knocked a kid flying who had to be take out with blood on her face. 

Just a total bunch of morons.
    I’m assuming this is what was going on around ht.   But… at any away game why would you chose to stand within vape/coin/dart range of the home fans?
    I’m not defending the behaviour, cos it is a bit nobbish, but it is quite easy to avoid 
    Problem stems from clubs putting home fans right next to away fans and not stewarding correctly. It's completely stupid and I'm amazed
    It must have happened before ! Don’t understand why the fans were so close and there were some dangerous objects thrown from both sides
  • Options
    edited February 11
    If we have to play Edun and T Watson can we not train them to take long throw ins from deep in the opponents half as they certainly can't cross with their feet! We should have someone (not Alfie) able to take these long throws which seem a decent weapon in League one!
    I think we’re a bit snobbish about long throws. Don’t think we can afford to be. 
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Nug said:
    We lack a lot of things right now but our delivery into the box is truly awful. Watson and Edun have never shown that ability. If either Ramsay or Small do they need to be given a chance. We are creating nothing.
    Absolutely, Edun was especially shit yesterday. But, nothing crossed to the box created an opportunity.  We seem to have never trained for any positionable play. If Im flying down the right with the ball, I should have an expectation where my team mates in the middle and out left are going to be. With us….. no bloody clue…. !
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Yes looks as bad as it did at the time.
  • Options
    ^^^^^ @JohnnyH2 .. we have any number of wide players, look at all the 'full backs' we have now on the books .. my emphasis would be on defence otherwise the Boltons, Derbys etc, are gonna slaughter us .. old school Alf Ramsey ..  wingless wonders if you like ..  look after defence and let the attack look after itself .. stop leaking goals is THE priority
    We played Derby a week ago, they didn’t slaughter us.
    And we still lost without scoring
  • Options
    ^^^^^ @JohnnyH2 .. we have any number of wide players, look at all the 'full backs' we have now on the books .. my emphasis would be on defence otherwise the Boltons, Derbys etc, are gonna slaughter us .. old school Alf Ramsey ..  wingless wonders if you like ..  look after defence and let the attack look after itself .. stop leaking goals is THE priority
    We played Derby a week ago, they didn’t slaughter us.
    they won at the Valley .. different kettle at their place, AND at Bolton .. still, if you think a back 3 with a fancy midfield/attack formation is the way to go, than dream on
    After watching yesterday’s shit show, it’s a wonder Derby only scored one!
  • Options
    Sounds like some of the fans are more capable of an accurate long throw than the players……

• Options
    Nug said:
    We lack a lot of things right now but our delivery into the box is truly awful. Watson and Edun have never shown that ability. If either Ramsay or Small do they need to be given a chance. We are creating nothing.
    So we are now going to put our hopes of survival on a player we signed from Harrogate that until Feb 1st no-one had heard of.

Ye gods !!
    Okay stick with Edun and Watson then. I’d never heard of them either. Unfortunately we don’t have the players. Really down to Jones to make something out of the shit recruiting that’s been going on.
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Croydon said:
    all together now .. THAT'S BECAUSE OUR SQUAD IS NEITHER BUILT NOR SUITED TO PLAY A BACK THREE !! .. as Stephen Hawking might have said 'it ain't fecking rocket science' .. sort it out Jones AND quickly
    Out of interest, what formation are we built to play?

because we don’t have wingers, so can’t play a 433 or 4231

i would say this squad is more built towards a 352 than anything else (granted not saying much)

it’s either this or a diamond in my opinion
    4 4 2 .. the best formation for teams struggling defensively .. any other 'formation' is too complex for our squad i m o,  especially as we have so many new players to mould into some semblance of togetherness .. KISS .. keep it simple stupid
    Except we do not have proper defensive minded fullbacks nor decent wingers in the squad.
    Watson and Edun as fullbacks, Campbell and who, Rylah, as wingers?
    You are having a laugh.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big shout out to a large contingent of Charlton fans today who were so ridiculously badly behaved. You know who you are, you know what you were doing, stop being absolute idiots and just support the team and watch the bloody game. Morons. 
    I was unfortunate to have had seats with the Stone Island brigade all looking like Palace ultras in their black hardman hoodies. My 15 year old daughter was really looking forward to this, but she has come home not wanting to go away again. My daughter stood next to these arseholes snorting coke off credit cards. She was hit over the back of the head by one of these stupid coked up w**kers who made a crap day crappier. I was also hit on the head by a coin thrown by one of them. They are sad Millwall wannabes. I don't expect it to be like the opera but I was genuinely worried about her safety if we had scored as they were so out of it. Luckily there wasn't much chance of that happening!
    You could have also approached a steward no doubt. But that might have created more problems. Trust the CTV has picked up on it.

If people are going to act like this Don’t involve innocent people or child. Have some respect.
  • Options
    Did we have new manager bounce ? WTF !

By losing 2-0 and not 5-0 yesterday 🤔
  • Options
    reckon we will survive on goal difference
    Hope you are right, Would be happy just to stay up and hopefully regroup for next season if we go down we are going to lose some key players.
    PWR

Have we got any key players? Alfie probably the only one worth trying to hold onto
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Hermes delivery wing backs
  • Options
    Didn’t have our goalkeeper failing the Charlton Life height test on my bingo card today. Isted is 6ft 1in. Same height as the England number one, Jordan Pickford. 
    He doesn't look it. 

• Options
    Why, oh why do we persist with the 352 formation. Anyone can see that we have got the players remotely capable of playing that formation. Watson and Edun have got to be the worst, ineffective players that I have ever seen. We have no width, no quality balls coming into the box, nothing. Unless these players get their fingers out, we’re done. And please don’t anyone say we’re too big a club to drop out of the league. Andy Scott has got a lot to answer for with HIS choice of player he’s bought in during the last two windows. That performance yesterday was ‘kin awful. We deserve better 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    .gmantaxi said:
    TBF we’ve been a mid table shit division 3 side for years , is division 4 gonna be any worse apart from the embarrassment of never ever been there ?
    Yes, because playing in an empty Valley is soul destroying. You’d hope we’d be in with a promotion push, but that isn’t guaranteed. 
    Empty Valley .   It’s been much worse than this. 
    Last six home games of 73/74 season average 3691 per game and we won 4 of those drawing 1 and only losing ONE.

PS Halifax was 72/73 ..,,3015 attendance.

I remember those days well.

Soul Destroying I agree with empty it’s been a lot worse.
    …half a century ago!
    Without history the present has no future .

50 years ago the ground held double what it does now and was larger.